The 79th Annual Academy Awards

Dreamgirls star Eddie Murphy was so devastated after losing the Best Supporting Actor Academy Award to Alan Arkin he stormed out of the ceremony, according to press reports in the US, including Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com. Murphy was the favorite to win the Oscar, which instead was awarded to Little Miss Sunshine star Arkin. The 45-year-old tried to downplay his disappointment telling American publication Us Weekly, "It's fine. It happens. It's OK." But shortly thereafter, Murphy and girlfriend Tracey Edmonds left the show and didn't return. Murphy missed out on his Dreamgirls cast mates Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson and Anika Noni Rose performing songs from the film, as well as Hudson's win for Best Supporting Actress.

not suprised he's known as a prick

boo-f***in-hoo. if he stopped wasting his and our time with crap like Norbit and Pluto Nash he might actually get a shot at another one.

I completely agree....go back to making R rated comedies, or at least family films that are funny. I would bet his movies consistently end up on the "Worst of" list at the end of each year.

anyone know where I can find the tribute to the recently deceased actors, at the oscars?

I liked Sunsine and I haven't seen murphy's performance and I know it's subjective but I find it hard to believe that Arkin deserved that Oscar for his role in said movie. On that point I don't think that the movie derserved to be nominated for best picture. It's a cute likable film but it's not great or anything. Hell I think that Marky Mark was good in The Departed but not good enough for a nom over Jack or Damon. Sometimes I just don't get the Oscars???

You look at Eddie Murphy's body of work, cutting out the obvious kiddie flickls of the 2000's, and he has done enough to warrant an Oscar. Coming To America, while a comedy, was an excellent flick, as was Trading Places.

You look at Eddie Murphy's body of work, cutting out the obvious kiddie flickls of the 2000's, and he has done enough to warrant an Oscar. Coming To America, while a comedy, was an excellent flick, as was Trading Places.

yeah but he hasn't made a quality film since late 80's early 90's

Am I the only one who thinks Hudson did not deserve it? Sure, she sang well...but this isn't the Grammys. I would've much rather seen Breslin take it. Her performance for a girl her age is mind blowing. Then again, this was a fairly mediocre year for the best supporting actress category.

^ I agree, I said the same thing to a number of friends who said she absoloutly deserved it. There was little to no dialogue in the film, her performance was based mostly on her singing which is not really oscar material.

I haven't seen The Pledge nor Insomnia, subject matters in the film a re a bit bothersome. Will chick them out when I'm not much of a wuss.

I understand,the Pledge is a real underrated Gem IMO

I see poor attitudes on both sides of the argument.

I don't,i see everyone making a case for Leo getting snide and obnoxious responses

^ I agree, I said the same thing to a number of friends who said she absoloutly deserved it. There was little to no dialogue in the film, her performance was based mostly on her singing which is not really oscar material.

Her acting (which goes beyond speaking, granted) was pretty average. She had the expression range of Tom Welling for goodness sake. I really don't see this as a Jennifer Hudson win. I see it as the Academy's way of giving Dream Girls something after snubbing them on both song and supporting actor, and a year of very slim pickings for the best supporting actress.

There was little to no dialogue in the film

Um....what?

And to be honest, Hudson brought a ton of emotion to that film, and she pulled it off well. Breslin? A nice little performance from a child actor, but it wasn't all that wow worthy. I heard Blanchett was great, but I didn't see Notes on a Scandal.

Granted, I havn't seen Little Miss Sunshine, but my god was Cate Blanchett excellent, and very much deserved an oscar for her performance

Um....what?

And to be honest, Hudson brought a ton of emotion to that film, and she pulled it off well. Breslin? A nice little performance from a child actor, but it wasn't all that wow worthy. I heard Blanchett was great, but I didn't see Notes on a Scandal.

Every moment they were beginning to speak a fair share of dialogue they broke out into song, which got irritating very quickly.

Um....what?

Blanchett was amazing. Unfortunately for her, she isn't media sexy enough to get 2 Oscars in a a 3 year period...which is pretty much the only reason she lost.

Am I the only one who thinks Hudson did not deserve it? Sure, she sang well...but this isn't the Grammys. I would've much rather seen Breslin take it. Her performance for a girl her age is mind blowing. Then again, this was a fairly mediocre year for the best supporting actress category.

I deserve it!:cmad:

Agreed. But it's the oscars what do you expect

Hudson's performance wasn't much of a stretch, granted. But for a first time actor to steal the show in a film with seasoned entertainers is a nice accomplishment. Though, as Matt said, this was a weak year for supporting actress nominees.

The little girl winning would have been a disaster, like some people on the radio mentioned today. She would end up peaking at this age, and go into a downward spiral of mediocrity and bizzare life choices. What else do you have to look forward to in life after you get an Oscar?

The little girl winning would have been a disaster, like some people on the radio mentioned today. She would end up peaking at this age, and go into a downward spiral of mediocrity and bizzare life choices. What else do you have to look forward to in life after you get an Oscar?

Hudson is pretty young herself. She will probably do the same, especially since this is really her first dose of fame (well, American Idol, but in all fairness, she got this role riding that wave so it is all part of the same dose of fame).

I personally can't see Hudson having much of an acting career. Now she's got the commercial recognition, I reckon she will go back to singing, or I could possibly see her on broadway, Chicago anyone?

More or less what Roeper said. Not really that she didn't deserve it but the part she played couldn't have been more perfect and fit for her.

The Oscar is going to propel her album, which she's working on now.

The type of people who would buy her alblum (American Idol junkies) are not exactly the same demographic as those who watch the Academy Awards (film snobs). Having "Academy Award Winner" on her CD probably won't matter all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"