85th Annual Academy Awards (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lime

Movie critic
Reaction score
The 2012 Oscars are OVER! The 2013 Oscars time is now!

I know it is early, but there is a lot to speculate even a year away:

This is a quick list of the potential runners for BP:

THE FRONT-RUNNING LOOKING:

Lincoln (Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis in a bio pic for Abraham Lincoln)
Selma (Lee Daniels makes a film about the African American rights and Martin Luther King)
Les Miserables (Tom Hooper directs great ensemble in a dark musical adaptation of a great novel)
Django Unchained (Tarantino gets the yet another amazing cast in a western.)
Gangster Squad (Amazing Cast and an adaptation about the Los Angeles mob from the 40's and 50's)
The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson returns with strong cast and...we it's Paul Thomas Anderson)

THE POTENTIAL TECHNICAL CATEGORIES FAVORITES:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
(Art Direction, Costume Design, Film Editing, Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Effects, Makeup)
The Dark Knight Rises
(Cinematography, Art Direction, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects)
Prometheus
(Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects)
Dark Shadows
(Costume Design, Art Direction, Makeup)

I have been doing a extended research on these Oscars and the players in the race.

Tomorrow I will post a full list of predictions of every category!

Start the discussion...

Some of the hot questions:

1) Will Lincoln fail as J.Edgar?
2) Can The Dark Knight Rises finally get a BP nomination or it has to settle on some technical nods again.
3) Can The Hobbit do a LOTR presentation at the Oscars?

The first thing TDKR needs to do is be as good as The Dark Knight, then we can worry about it being a candidate.

My premature candidates for the Best Actor category:

Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables)
Jamie Foxx (Django Unchained)
John Hawkes (The Surrogate)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Great Gatsby)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master)

Day-Lewis has this in a lock. Only other contender should be DiCaprio because "it is his turn to win"

Last edited:
I don't know. An Anderson-directed Philip Seymour Hoffman could be deadly. But then again, has there been any word on whether or not The Master will have a 2012 release?

Last time PTA made a movie, it had DDL giving a powerhouse performance. Could happen again and Hoffman is certainly capable of it. And it appears to be a Weinstein movie.

Supporting Actor:

Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)
Ian McKellen (The Hobbit)
Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)
Joel Edgerton (The Great Gatsby)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Lincoln)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Django Unchained)
Russell Crowe (Les Miserables)
Tobey Maguire (The Great Gatsby)
Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)

Hope Gatsby doesn't turn out to be another J. Edgar and disappoint.

If the acting holds up, I'd expect that Django Unchained will get nominations for half of the acting categories, both Best Actor for Foxx and Best Supporting for Waltz and Leo. It would be good for both (Foxx and Waltz) to prove that neither of them are a one year wonder (win an Oscar one year only to never be nominated ever again). Unfortunately, Kerry Washington will probably be left out of the female acting categories.

Just pick whichever movies the Weinstein's are pushing and you will have all of the winners.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=349499

This is the first page of the 84th Academy Award thread. Look at some of the front runners being called at this time last year:

Contagion, J. Edgar, The Beaver, and We Bought a Zoo are brought up for best picture. Some of the best acting stand outs were Ryan Gosling, Mel Gibson (Hollywood will never forgive him), Elizabeth Olsen and Kirsten Dunst.

Oh, and there is not one single mention of The Artist until page 8 (which wasn't reached until 6 months after the thread was started).

My point is, it is almost impossible to predict these at this point in the game. There are always a couple of small art house movies or under the radar foreign films that no one even hears about until November and always rake in a few awards. Plus you never know when a big Oscar bait movie will crash and bomb critically like J. Edgar or Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close.

Last edited:
i was wrong about Leo and Edgar. i think Leo would have a bigger chance winning with Django then with Gatsby if DDL was not playing Lincoln in a Spielberg movie.

I agree with the Oscars on very little but Leo rightfully did not get a nom for J. Edgar. Like the film his performance was nothing special.

THIS

and they say oscars arent bought.......

Yes. I expect The Silver Linings Playbook and Django Unchained to be the Weinsteins' go-to Oscar bait. Plus any movies they buy at Cannes later this year...

Is Rust and Bone or Lowlife coming out this year? I expect Marion Cotillard to be in the mix for either of those for Lead Actress.

Also, Samantha Barks for Supporting Actress if she does at least decent as Eponine (baitiest female role in Les Miserables). Anne Hathaway for Lead Actress maybe.

Jennifer Lawrence too for Silver Linings Playbook. I think it's for lead.

And Helen Hunt for The Surrogate.

Hopefully Keira Knightley gets added to the mix for Anna Karenina.

Last edited:
TDKR is gonna get nominated for all awards! And it will win! If it doesn't win then that is a disgrace! If it doesn't get nominated for best picture then we should all petition the Academy to increase the number of best picture nominations to 50!

TDKR is gonna get nominated for all awards! And it will win! If it doesn't win then that is a disgrace! If it doesn't get nominated for best picture then we should all petition the Academy to increase the number of best picture nominations to 50!
I almost thought you were being serious.

Seriously though TDKR's is not getting a best picture nod and Nolan isn't getting one for director. Bookmark this and pull it up if I'm wrong.

If Joe Wright pulls off Anna Karenina, as I think he will, then I think you have a major contender right there. Certainly for Costumes and Art Direction based on preliminary pictures. I think Knightley is a Best Actress frontrunner, how many true female leads are there?

Anyone else think that Sandra Bullock might be back for Gravity?

Id say Keira Knightley is the super-early Best Actress frontrunner for Anna Karenina, and Daniel Day-Lewis is the super-early Best Actor frontrunner for Lincoln.

So thats my early prediction. Keira Knightley and Daniel Day-Lewis.

I think that "The Hobbit" can definitely score a Best Picture nom, especially considering that the three LOTR films each scored a Best Picture nomination in a time when there were only five films in the Best Picture category.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=349499

This is the first page of the 84th Academy Award thread. Look at some of the front runners being called at this time last year:

Contagion, J. Edgar, The Beaver, and We Bought a Zoo are brought up for best picture. Some of the best acting stand outs were Ryan Gosling, Mel Gibson (Hollywood will never forgive him), Elizabeth Olsen and Kirsten Dunst.

Oh, and there is not one single mention of The Artist until page 8 (which wasn't reached until 6 months after the thread was started).

My point is, it is almost impossible to predict these at this point in the game. There are always a couple of small art house movies or under the radar foreign films that no one even hears about until November and always rake in a few awards. Plus you never know when a big Oscar bait movie will crash and bomb critically like J. Edgar or Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close.

It is difficult to make predictions when the movies aren't even complete. For example, Lincoln sounds like a winner, but it could turn out to be crapfest for all we know.

The best time to start making predictions is in May during the Cannes Film Festival. Last year, The Artist was the big winner. Midnight in Paris and Tree of Life were popular entries.

So, that's a good place to start.

a serious Spielberg movie could turn in a crapfest? please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985