BvS Batman vs. Superman vs. The Oscars

You win the thread haha. I really thought for a second that all chances of any sort of sanity prevailing in this forum had been crushed because I've known you to be a pretty reasonable poster in the past.

Faith in humanity restored.

Oscars are possible in technical categories .
But, I think everything else is a long shot .

You don't think The Dark Knight was better than Slumdog Millionaire? That movie definitely didn't deserve an Oscar, didn't even deserve to get nominated.

I completely disagree, it was a great movie all around, i realy like it when we get those kinds of quality film getting not only recogniction by the academy, but also by the audience, Life of Pi and Gravity are some other films that come to mind where a similar situation happened, even though they're completely different from Slumdog.

Slumdog was a great movie. I despised it at the time, but that was the fanboy in me who was pissed at the Oscar snubs, particularly Nolan's for director. I got over it, though. Personally, I'd have given the Best Picture to WALL-E that year, anyway.

Also loved Wall-E, probably more than Slumdog, but i'm not sure here if it should have won best Picture.

I actualy prefer The Dark Knight to those two, but i don't think it deserved best picture that year, maybe a nomination though.

:funny:

It's okay, BLR. I just find it ridiculous to have an Oscar thread and couldn't resist. I find any point in having a serious discussion on even the technical awards when we even haven't seen (or in the case of sound, heard) of the technical side of the movie we're discussing yet.

Wow, i fell for that one too :wow:

What do you mean, you people?

It's gonna be one of the best movies of 2016. The times are changing, and we're going to be seeing more genre movies in the Oscars. There are going to be more and more younger Oscar voters, and BvS will be that changes Oscar Voters opinions on genre movies. If you don't believe that, then I have no words for you.

This movie will be our Woodstock!!!! It will transcend!!! It will capture the cultural zeitgeist!!! It will be remembered for millenia! It will force the Academy to extend the Best Pic nominees to 45!!!

tumblr_m3bzc40g2o1r1awtfo1_250.gif

I can't believe people feel this has a shot in techinical awards. Avatar 2 is very likely coming out in the same year...

I can't believe people feel this has a shot in techinical awards. Avatar 2 is very likely coming out in the same year...

There are 5 spots per category. Avatar 2 can take only 1

Don't tell me that this lineup for Visual Effects in 2016 is not VERY possible:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Planet of the Apes 3
Skull Island

But I guess you mean shot of winning. I will be happy if it gets nominated.

The trolling in this thread is top tier.

The one concession I can give to those who cry about the TDK snub is 'The Reader' most certainly did not deserve to be up there in place of it. It was an obvious filler spot, and no doubt spurned the change to increase the number of best picture nominations to avoid that backlash.

It is a bit funny how little the general audience (and even fans) have consumed the media out there. Critics and academy members are practically required to watch anything and everything that comes out. They have far more eligibility to properly gauge the best of the best, as subjective as it may be. From my years just listening in on convos, many of these hardcore fans propping up their respective franchises haven't even seen half of the other nominations.

The Wrestler should have taken The Reader's spot, not TDK.

Yes, this is the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Oscar thread.

What expectations do you guys have for this one?

I myself am NOT optimistic on Oscars.

For some reason Snyder films are not liked by the Oscars. No Snyder film was ever nominated for one.

And we all know that Watchmen had some Oscar worthy categories like Costumes, Cinematography and Visual Effects.

And Man of Steel had awesome Score, Sound and Visual Effects.

But this one has Batman, and Oscars have been good to Batman!

Batman 89 - 1 nomination - Art Direction (win)
Batman Returns - 2 nominations - Makeup and Visual Effects
Batman Forever - 3 nominations - Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography
Batman & Robin - NO NOMINATIONS (thank god)
Batman Begins - 1 nomination - Cinematography
The Dark Knight - 8 nominations - Supporting Actor (win), Sound Editing (win), Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Editing, Cinematography, Art Direction and makeup
The Dark Knight Rises - NO NOMINATIONS

That's 7 films - 5 with nominations

Where do you guys the BVS movie at the Oscars? Will it be the first Snyder film with a nomination?

You kidding me with this? The oscars who famously snubbed guys like Hitchcock, Kubrick and Scorsese for years...yet it baffles you why Zack Snyder hasn't won one?

That being said Man of Steel did deserve to at least get nominated for some effects awards.

TDK was snubbed no matter how many revisionists like to imagine otherwise. Getting by my horrible horrible nasty bias (in my mind it should win the nobel prize for cinema...is there one? no? because it should be started for tdk) TDK actually topped plenty of critics end of year lists (the ones that usually are in line with Oscar noms) and TDK was in pretty much every single list. Objectively speaking, it belonged on the nomination list. Not saying it should have won....the oscars are all about lobbying and politics not what film deserves what, but a nomination was absolutely likely (and deserved)

That being said, this is the same awarding committee that nominated the horrible extremely loud and incredibly close for best picture (i think one of the rare cases of a ROTTEN rated film being nominated)

There are 5 spots per category. Avatar 2 can take only 1

Don't tell me that this lineup for Visual Effects in 2016 is not VERY possible:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Planet of the Apes 3
Skull Island

But I guess you mean shot of winning. I will be happy if it gets nominated.

If only I had footage to judge these categories by.....

TDK was snubbed no matter how many revisionists like to imagine otherwise. Getting by my horrible horrible nasty bias (in my mind it should win the nobel prize for cinema...is there one? no? because it should be started for tdk) TDK actually topped plenty of critics end of year lists (the ones that usually are in line with Oscar noms) and TDK was in pretty much every single list. Objectively speaking, it belonged on the nomination list. Not saying it should have won....the oscars are all about lobbying and politics not what film deserves what, but a nomination was absolutely likely (and deserved)

So did The Wrestler, which was a better film than TDK in my view. I think it was stranger that film got snubbed than TDK.

So did The Wrestler, which was a better film than TDK in my view. I think it was stranger that film got snubbed than TDK.

I don't, and it has nothing to do with the quality themselves just the politics behind it. Wrestler had Mickey Rourke making a comeback which oscar voters love, but even more than that TDK had a dead guy getting posthumously nominated.

Heath was always going to win, so it made sense that a film that won one of the acting oscars would have been nominated.

Rourke did get robbed though, does anyone still even remember Milk? (the film not the man)

That year was kinda ridiculous though in retrospect, I have no problem with the love showered on Slumdog, but curious case? The reader? if the 10 film rule had been put into effect it's obvious more fitting yet more quirky entries would have been let it, aside from the usual tdk and wrestler. In bruges? revolutionary road? Doubt? Wall E? It was such a good year for film and the best picture pool didn't show that one bit.

Last edited:
BvS will win the Best Picture Oscar, Emmy, Grammy, and Tony, and will then go on to win the Nobel Peace Prize, the Medal of Honor, and the local spelling bee at Clermont County High.

David Goyer will also get the Nobel Prize in physics for the realism in the movie.

You kidding me with this? The oscars who famously snubbed guys like Hitchcock, Kubrick and Scorsese for years...yet it baffles you why Zack Snyder hasn't won one?

That being said Man of Steel did deserve to at least get nominated for some effects awards.

No, obviously you did not read my post

For some reason Snyder films are not liked by the Oscars. No Snyder film was ever nominated for one.

Where do you guys the BVS movie at the Oscars? Will it be the first Snyder film with a nomination?

I am not saying Snyder himself should get nominated. He will never do that.

I was pointing out that no Snyder FILM has ever been nominated for ANY kind of Oscar. Even Tech categories.

BVS will never be nominated for anything big. That one is 100000% sure. But tech categories are in the cards. And if they get some, it will be the first Snyder film to be nominated for any kind of Oscar.

A serious opinion now:

- 25% chance of an oscsr nomination in a technical category;
- 1% chance of a nomination in a top category;

I've see people say stuff like "Who even remembers..." and then following it with Slumdog or Milk, but to be honest, outside of the fandom i still hear about them now and then, so yes, they left their mark and are still remembered. About Curious Case of Benjamin Button, it's another case of older fans of David Fincher not liking it much, but i remember the public enjoying it quite a lot, now if it deserved the nom or not is a completely different subject, i never watched Forrest Gump and it's been half a decade since i've seen Curious case, i was also around 13 when i watched it, but i do remember enjoying quite a lot.

Either way, snubs at the oscars are quite common, and as much as i love The Dark Knight, that one's not even the biggest deal of them all.

That said, Zack Snyder hasn't shown any of the brilliance that would make me think he deserves any kind of Nomination besides effects and sound, he tries to give a deep and complex plot and deal with major themes, but he lacks subtlety or patience to make things flow.

I can't see even a nomination in an important category (not just in this but in any comic film for a fair while) but a win isn't out of the question in the technical ones, 1 nomination at least wouldn't be a surprise.

I've see people say stuff like "Who even remembers..." and then following it with Slumdog or Milk, but to be honest, outside of the fandom i still hear about them now and then, so yes, they left their mark and are still remembered. About Curious Case of Benjamin Button, it's another case of older fans of David Fincher not liking it much, but i remember the public enjoying it quite a lot, now if it deserved the nom or not is a completely different subject, i never watched Forrest Gump and it's been half a decade since i've seen Curious case, i was also around 13 when i watched it, but i do remember enjoying quite a lot.

Either way, snubs at the oscars are quite common, and as much as i love The Dark Knight, that one's not even the biggest deal of them all.

That said, Zack Snyder hasn't shown any of the brilliance that would make me think he deserves any kind of Nomination besides effects and sound, he tries to give a deep and complex plot and deal with major themes, but he lacks subtlety or patience to make things flow.

I'll assume this is addressed largely to me. I barely hear about Milk, even when Harvey Milk is brought up, the film is barely even referenced. Slumdog on the other hand still has it's place in culture so that's fair. Anyway you boil it down, Benjamin Button is still one of the weakest films in Finchers filmography, it didn't help that people caught on to it's redressed forest gump nature pretty quickly. The point was that films like the dark knight and the wrestler were far more deserving than those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"