BvS Batman vs. Superman vs. The Oscars

lime

Movie critic
Reaction score
Yes, this is the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Oscar thread.

What expectations do you guys have for this one?

I myself am NOT optimistic on Oscars.

For some reason Snyder films are not liked by the Oscars. No Snyder film was ever nominated for one.

And we all know that Watchmen had some Oscar worthy categories like Costumes, Cinematography and Visual Effects.

And Man of Steel had awesome Score, Sound and Visual Effects.

But this one has Batman, and Oscars have been good to Batman!

Batman 89 - 1 nomination - Art Direction (win)
Batman Returns - 2 nominations - Makeup and Visual Effects
Batman Forever - 3 nominations - Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography
Batman & Robin - NO NOMINATIONS (thank god)
Batman Begins - 1 nomination - Cinematography
The Dark Knight - 8 nominations - Supporting Actor (win), Sound Editing (win), Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Editing, Cinematography, Art Direction and makeup
The Dark Knight Rises - NO NOMINATIONS

That's 7 films - 5 with nominations

Where do you guys the BVS movie at the Oscars? Will it be the first Snyder film with a nomination?

Special Effects and possibly sound.

That's it and those are long shots.

It's going to take another Ledgerian type combo of writing/character/performance for a superhero film to ever land another acting nod.

And if Nolan didn't receive nominations for directing of his Dark Knight trilogy, no superhero director ever will.

Some additional information about the man and women behind the camera:

Score: Hans Zimmer (Oscar Winner)
Editing: David Brenner (Oscar Winner)
Cinematography: Larry Fong
Production Design: Patrick Tatopoulos
Costume Design: Michael Wilkinson (Oscar Nominee)

Wilkinson should already be gifted all the awards in the universe for his Batman and Wonder Woman costumes.

A BvS...oscar thread???

Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif

Everything Zack Snyder gets his hands on is unfairly bashed by critics everywhere, hopefully this is the movie that changes the trend, but I won't hold my breath.

Though with Affleck and Terrio involved, who knows.

A BvS...oscar thread???

Tom-Hanks-Saying-Really.gif

Yeah, might be too early for that, but based on the track record of previous films, the expectations should be for some type of Oscar consideration at the end of that year. Anything else would be considered a partial failure to produce.

Best Screenplay - original - Terrio's rewrites got this.
Best Cinemtography - It's about time Fond receives this.
Best Wardrobe - Dat Basuit
Best Visual Effects - This is a Zack Snyder movie. It's gonna look gorgeous
Best Editing
Best Production Design - This will be the best looking Gotham City in a movie ever.
Best Score - Don't need a reason for this. Zimmer will knock it out the park.
Best Sound
Best Actor - Ben Affleck. Come on, it's TDKR Batman on screen. If Heath Ledger can get one for Joker, Affleck can get one for playing TDKR Batman.
Best Picture - Good possibility with Zack Snyder finally having a good writer to work with, this can be the defining movie in the comic book genre, especially if he gets Superman right.

Last edited:
Christ, IM2 and IM3 were oscar nominated ? What for ? Best use of the word Croydon in a film category...

Its much too early about this.

But to save time.........

This film, nor any other cbms, will win any Oscars of note. It will never happen.

In a world when Iron Man 2 and 3 are nominated we are really *****ing about BvS ?

Yes. I thought MOS should have gotten a nomination in visual effects, score, costume design and production Design. It got zero. I'm not holding off hope that a sequel to it, called Batman v Superman, directed by Zack Snyder, is going to get any, being worthy or not. Not that it matters really. F*** the academy!

Besides, it's waaaaay too early. Such a thread would be best suited for post-release, no? Not that I'm complaining. When crap topics like that ''buhuhu I feel nothing but dread'' exist and get to part 3 already, this one is pretty good! :yay:

Yeah this aint getting **** outside of technical awards. There's arguably far too many BIG characters for one actor to stand out amongst the rest. There is not exactly a theatrical character like The Joker that can make them stand out. Snyder has had big faults in his directing and I'll be amazed if they suddenly disappear for this one film.

The script could go either way. Yes Terrio won an oscar. For his first feature length script. He hasn't done one since. M. Night Shyamalan's first big writing hit was The Sixth Sense. I'm not saying that's gonna happen I'm just saying there is that 1% chance of him being a one hit wonder.

Cinematography maybe. Depends on how much of it is shaky cam and CGI.

Technical awards it really could do well in. But that year it will be going against Cap 3, Uncharted, X Men Apocalypse, Independence Day 2, Doctor Strange, Apes 3, Skull Island, Star Wars standalone, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them, Prometheus 2, Avatar 2 and Warcraft.

Actually looking at that list I'll revise my expectations. This film wont get a thing.

I was just going to say it's pretty funny seeing this thread right besides the "I FEEL NOTHING BUT DREAD" thread.

Pretty much tells the story of the internet and people in general, how different everyone can be.

I am not saying that he has ever made an Oscar worthy movie, but I think there is some snobbishness about Snyder which probably means BvS won't stand a chance.

Heath Ledger, best supporting actor.

Best Screenplay - original - Terrio's rewrites got this.
Best Cinemtography - It's about time Fond receives this.
Best Wardrobe - Dat Basuit
Best Visual Effects - This is a Zack Snyder movie. It's gonna look gorgeous
Best Editing
Best Production Design - This will be the best looking Gotham City in a movie ever.
Best Score - Don't need a reason for this. Zimmer will knock it out the park.
Best Sound
Best Actor - Ben Affleck. Come on, it's TDKR Batman on screen. If Heath Ledger can get one for Joker, Affleck can get one for playing TDKR Batman.
Best Picture - Good possibility with Zack Snyder finally having a good writer to work with, this can be the defining movie in the comic book genre, especially if he gets Superman right.

Couldn't agree more, expect you left out sound. Sound is essential. Just from the comic con teaser alone, the sound design is hard-hitting and lethal. Batman bringing the bat signal into place - its almost like is taking aim with a weapon. The raw grinding industrial piece of design is beautiful, but yet powerful.

I am not saying that he has ever made an Oscar worthy movie, but I think there is some snobbishness about Snyder which probably means BvS won't stand a chance.

The oscars are all about the snobbishness....

The script could go either way. Yes Terrio won an oscar. For his first feature length script. He hasn't done one since. M. Night Shyamalan's first big writing hit was The Sixth Sense. I'm not saying that's gonna happen I'm just saying there is that 1% chance of him being a one hit wonder.

He wrote more scripts that got high praise in Hollywood and got picked up by the likes of David O. Russell and Ben again (for another movie). We'll be hearing a lot more from Terrio in the future. Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility of his work on BvS being less than stellar, but it does make it easier to be optimistic.

Zack Snyder deserves the criticism, not an oscar.

Did Zimmer even get a nomination for his score on MOS? If not, then I don't see him getting a nod if his BvS score is of the same ilk.

Last edited:
He wrote more scripts that got high praise in Hollywood and got picked up by the likes of David O. Russell and Ben again (for another movie). We'll be hearing a lot more from Terrio in the future. Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility of his work on BvS being less than stellar, but it does make it easier to be optimistic.

Oh okay I didn't know that. That's made me more confident. I literally only checked his IMDB which shows Argo and one other that he seemed to do bits and pieces for. But that's good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"