A Song of Ice and Fire books

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 500 pages into Storm of Swords and Dany's chapters haven't been as bad as I thought they would (based on mum talk in the tv show thread). Theon is much more likeable in the books; more competent than tv show Theon, who seems like an idiot. I'm going to throw out a rough theory based on what I've read so far.

There is an Azhor Ahai walking around Westeros or one of the other continents. According to Melisandre, there's the god R'hllor and the Other. Catelyn Stark as Lady Stoneheart is an avatar, or embodiment of the Other, a rallying point and leader for the Others and the wights. I think this Azhor Ahai will be closely linked to the Starks. That way, the big conflict would return to Winterfell, just as the whole plot expanded from Winterfell.

Do I need to tag this sort of stuff in the future?

This theory is very intriguing. I'm gonna post a major spoiler from ADWD so I would advise you not read this if you haven't completed ADWD.

The above theory is fascinating when you consider the fact that Jon is most likely going to be resurrected as Azhor Ahai in WOW. So if there is going to be a showdown between Azhor Ahai and the Great Other it will be between Cat and Jon. Considering Cat's animosity towards Jon since the beginning of the series this would be very very fitting. Cant believe I never thought of this.

A thought I had too:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Mel sacrifices Stannis to resurrect Jon? Lol I could see her doing something like that, and that is definitely something GRRM would do to a character.

Last edited:
But how could Catelyn by a servant of the Great Other if Thoros of Myr, a Red Priest, resurrected her? Especially if we accept that R'hllor was responsible for Beric's numerous resurrections and he gave his life for hers. Still, the idea of Jon slaying Cat is interesting.

I've read a similar theory with Patchface. The fact that he was at sea, drowned, and was revived is in line with the practices of the Ironborn with the Drowned God. He has a penchant for predicting the future with his songs, often of death, perhaps he is the avatar of the Drowned God who may be or is associated with the Great Other.

In A Feast for Crows, the first Arya chapter has her meeting a priest at a temple to the Many-Faced God. Was that legitimate magic? If one reads the description of the priest and takes it literally,
he's a lich or some kind of undead. A bit jarring to see magic so openly. Most of it has been out of the way of most of civilized Westeros.

The possible ending shot for S3 speculation tipped me off on her and Mance's army. Those two are what finally got me to check out the books. :up:

In your opinion, when do the Bran chapters start to drag? So far, so good (700 into ASOS).

Bran's chapters are pretty awesome (too few in my opinion). You're already past his "slow" parts.

In A Feast for Crows, the first Arya chapter has her meeting a priest at a temple to the Many-Faced God. Was that legitimate magic? If one reads the description of the priest and takes it literally,
he's a lich or some kind of undead. A bit jarring to see magic so openly. Most of it has been out of the way of most of civilized Westeros.

I don't want to say too much because it becomes a bit more clear later on. However, if you must know.
He's not undead. It's some kind of magic or glamour. Also they're not in Westeros, Braavos is across the sea on the continent Essos (where Dany is).

I just finished all the books! Wohoo i can join the club. :3

Join us as we really wait for book 6, nah but at least the wait for Winds of Winter won't be long, at this point it's looking really brightly that it'll be release either within the next or the following year, we'll just have to pray to the Seven.

It can't be any worse than the wait between books 4 and 5, no matter how long it takes.

So i'm audio booking these things and i just started a clash of kings! This is amazing! This series is phenominal!

Oh and Roy Dotrice deserves like a life time achievement award for just being incredible. Total boss.

I listened to all of them. Just finished the last, which is why I now feel safe looking in this thread. It's a little jarring when he alters someone's voice between books, but an overall fantastic job.

After watching the show I wanted to take a crack at reading these so bought the set and have nearly completed the first book.

The books obviously have so much detail and I really can't wait to catch up. I would have to say It's deffo one of the best books I've read

So, Ser Robert Strong
is likely a reanimated corpse, some kind of Frankenstein's monster? If so, I guess people who're hyping "Cleganebowl" expect a rematch between Sandor and Ser Robert.

Last edited:
So, Ser Robert Strong
is likely a reanimated corpse, some kind of Frankenstein's monster? If so, I guess people who're hyping "Cleganebowl" expect a rematch between Sandor and Ser Robert.
I'm anticipating
Sandor being the champion for the Church at some point.

I have to say, I really like the feel of ADWD versus the prior novels. I find Qyburn more unsettling than Varys; I'd have more trust in the Spider than the Bloody Maester.

I listened to all of them. Just finished the last, which is why I now feel safe looking in this thread. It's a little jarring when he alters someone's voice between books, but an overall fantastic job.

Yeah he switched his Tywin inbetween books two and three aswell as his Jamie. He is pretty boss though. I also like to think he is having characters sound differently because different people are hearing the characters. Like Jaime sounds different in book two because its his perspective, not like it was in book two from Cats perspective.

Just got done with Joffs wedding and holy **** that was waaaaaay to awesome.

I can't wait to see whose side
Karstark will end up being on; Stannis, his men and some of the wild clans (not wildlings; those savages Tyrion enlisted in AGOT) are bearing down on the Boltons in Winterfell. Add to that this singer who seems to be working against the Boltons, and poor Theon. Also, I suppose Aerys shared a night with Tywin's wife? Ser Barristan implied as much, and it would explain...why Cersei is insane, and why Tyrion likes dragons so much.

Red Viper is awesome.

I just started the fourth book on audio disc and holy **** is this a boring start. Finally getting to know some stuff about Dorn after hearing about it for 3 books.

I just started the fourth book on audio disc and holy **** is this a boring start. Finally getting to know some stuff about Dorn after hearing about it for 3 books.

AFFC is a lot of politics and Brienne running in circles but the last third is probably some of the best of ASOIAF imo.

AFFC is a lot of politics and Brienne running in circles but the last third is probably some of the best of ASOIAF imo.

Yeah I'm starting to see that. I do like reading about Dorn though, very different from kings landing.

I loved Brienne's last chapter. I think her stuff up to where she met Randyll Tarly could've been shortened to one chapter. Darkstar was pretty cool, too.

My thoughts on A Dance with Dragons

I loved the Young Griff plotline; I didn't expect it at all. Daenerys's good intentions being reduced to her House's words, Fire and Blood, was great. I think some of the politicking in her chapters could've been cut. I enjoyed the events in Meereen overall. Quentyn's plan for the dragons was unbelievably stupid. I only saw two outcomes: death as he smuggled the dragons out, or death when he unchained the dragons.

I'm probably in the minority who wouldn't mind if Jon stayed dead. The events at the Wall can be related to us through Tormund, Val, or Stannis. Ramsay will make an excellent villain; in the books he is absolutely horrid. Far worse than Joffrey ever was. The means of Jon's death was a complete surprise, though. After Jon got that letter from Ramsay, demanding his bride back, I thought he would've died by Ramsay's hand.

My opinions on Cersei have changed upon learning that she didn't have a hand in Ned's death. I'm sure Tywin was screaming himself raw in whatever hell he went to when Cersei started acting as regent in AFFC. Seeing her broken and humbled by the church was depressing; I hope she gets her revenge on the septon and septas.

I don't see anywhere for Dany to go now, except to reclaim her dragons. At this point, I don't think she has any obligation to Meereen, the Yunkai'i or Quarth. She has really done enough for them. I expect her to take charge of the Dothraki, reclaim her dragons and Ser Barristan, and head to Westeros. I doubt that's what will happen.

I wonder if Tywin planned to use Young Griff to take the Iron Throne for Lannister?

Last edited:
I loved Brienne's last chapter. I think her stuff up to where she met Randyll Tarly could've been shortened to one chapter. Darkstar was pretty cool, too.

I loved the Young Griff plotline; I didn't expect it at all. Daenerys's good intentions being reduced to her House's words, Fire and Blood, was great. I think some of the politicking in her chapters could've been cut. I enjoyed the events in Meereen overall. Quentyn's plan for the dragons was unbelievably stupid. I only saw two outcomes: death as he smuggled the dragons out, or death when he unchained the dragons.

I'm probably in the minority who wouldn't mind if Jon stayed dead. The events at the Wall can be related to us through Tormund, Val, or Stannis. Ramsay will make an excellent villain; in the books he is absolutely horrid. Far worse than Joffrey ever was. The means of Jon's death was a complete surprise, though. After Jon got that letter from Ramsay, demanding his bride back, I thought he would've died by Ramsay's hand.

My opinions on Cersei have changed upon learning that she didn't have a hand in Ned's death. I'm sure Tywin was screaming himself raw in whatever hell he went to when Cersei started acting as regent in AFFC. Seeing her broken and humbled by the church was depressing; I hope she gets her revenge on the septon and septas.

I don't see anywhere for Dany to go now, except to reclaim her dragons. At this point, I don't think she has any obligation to Meereen, the Yunkai'i or Quarth. She has really done enough for them. I expect her to take charge of the Dothraki, reclaim her dragons and Ser Barristan, and head to Westeros. I doubt that's what will happen.

I wonder if Tywin planned to use Young Griff to take the Iron Throne for Lannister?

Well having heard GRRM read a couple chapters of Winds of Winter -
we're not done in Mereen by a long shot.
My predictions:
1. Jon's not "dead" but will be resurrected in some way. He's Azor Ahai and all that. We may have read his last POV though.
2. Victarion's horn will work and he'll make off with one or two of the dragons. He'll be the one to unleash the them on Westeros and Kingslanding first. Dany will have to come and try to reign them in.
3. The faceless men are working to get the Others past the wall. Arya is going to have to be a cog in the machine. But she'll get to the wall at some point. There's been too much foreshadowing of that for it not to happen.

Well having heard GRRM read a couple chapters of Winds of Winter -
we're not done in Mereen by a long shot.
My predictions:
1. Jon's not "dead" but will be resurrected in some way. He's Azor Ahai and all that. We may have read his last POV though.
2. Victarion's horn will work and he'll make off with one or two of the dragons. He'll be the one to unleash the them on Westeros and Kingslanding first. Dany will have to come and try to reign them in.
3. The faceless men are working to get the Others past the wall. Arya is going to have to be a cog in the machine. But she'll get to the wall at some point. There's been too much foreshadowing of that for it not to happen.

Wow, I need to go do some re-reading

what clues did you see pointing to the Faceless Men helping the Others? I figured Arya's trip back to Westeros would be in the form of a hit on Qyburn.

Do you think the "demons" that haunt Valyria
are actually the fire equivalent of the Others?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back