A Thread of Theories and Speculation [spoilers]

I don't think that's enough to make him the "most dangerous man in Dorne," though. It could mean he's aware of what really happened (R+L=J) but I think GRRM will want to keep that a big surprise that only Howland Reed and Ned Stark knew about. We know it's not because of his fighting prowess; we're told he's good with a sword, but he fails to kill a little girl and then quickly flees. Not exactly Jaime Lannister-level. Oberyn also referred to him as "poison," and there's the fact that he tried to kill Myrcella in the first place and is likely the one who told Doran about the Queenmaker plot. That suggests to me that he and Doran already had some kind of relationship, otherwise Darkstar wouldn't bother going to him to sell out Arianne.

No, he's dangerous for something else. The real heir to the Iron Throne, who also happens to be hotheaded, arrogant and what looks to be another Viserys situation sounds pretty dangerous to me. As to why Doran doesn't marry Arianne to Gerold Dayne instead of (presumably) fAegon, I don't know. It's not as if House Dayne is too low for her, and thanks to Arthur Dayne it's relatively well known throughout Westeros. My theory is that Doran is supporting fAegon over the real Aegon because he wants to check out whether this supposed Targaryen taking Storm's End has a large army, is likable and would be a good king; from the looks of it so far, Darkstar would be a terrible king and Doran knows this.

supposedly grrm wanted to write another bad ass character like oberyn after oberyn died, so while i wouldn't be against it, it would seem rather strange to me since he wasn't in the works from the get go, though I've always thought there's more to him. one of the theories that i do like, though i think it is very unlikely, is that he's ashara dayne and brandon stark's (ned's older borther) kid.

LMAO you're only realizing this now

Oh, she will come home (GRRM has pretty much confirmed it in a recent interview). The question is will she be a savior or a destroyer.

I seriously doubt Dany is going to die.

Especially by her dragons.

I seriously doubt Dany is going to die.

Especially by her dragons.

her and Arya are the only characters I'm sure are going to die. okay, maybe not 100% sure, but at least 85%

and

Cersei of course, but that's because of the prophecy

I think it's anyone's guess as to who will be the next major character to bite the dust but does anyone have any predictions on who they think will survive the series?

Of the Stark clan, I'd guess Sansa and Rickon will be the last two standing. Sansa is beginning to understand the game but i don't know if she has a goal in mind like most of the other players. I think Bran may become a new Three Eyed Raven of sorts, so he's undead/immortal.

Sir Barristan seems like a solid survivor unless he sacrifices himself for Dany or the Yunkai take Merreen in the next book.

Theon is an absolute mystery. He has suffered for his betrayal of Robb so i'm not sure his death would stem from that, but he seems like a really superfluous character at this point. Would anybody really care if Theon died? Probably not, so I can see him making it.

I'm not sure how Stannis will go but he is still responsible for Renly's death and he deserves consequences for that. I think once the Red god is done with him, he's gone. Maybe even have Brienne, seeking vengeance for Renly, somehow sneak her way to Stannis and strike him down.

No, his original plan with Illyrio was to get Viserys/Daenerys back on the Throne.

Was it though?

Or was he merely setting up Viserys and the Dothraki to serve as a villain for “Aegon” (who he and Illyrio have been grooming for years) to defeat?

You just kinda contradicted yourself. You said it's premature to say they're Targaryen loyalists, but you then state that Varys/Illyrio have been grooming Aegon to be king for years. They ARE Targaryen loyalists.

You just kinda contradicted yourself. You said it's premature to say they're Targaryen loyalists, but you then state that Varys/Illyrio have been grooming Aegon to be king for years. They ARE Targaryen loyalists.

There is a reason I put Aegon's name in quotation marks. Suffice to say, I don't believe this "Aegon" is Rhaegar's son. Regardless, I believe Varys has goals that reach far beyond merely who sits on the Iron Throne.

Last edited:
I don't think that's enough to make him the "most dangerous man in Dorne," though. It could mean he's aware of what really happened (R+L=J) but I think GRRM will want to keep that a big surprise that only Howland Reed and Ned Stark knew about. We know it's not because of his fighting prowess; we're told he's good with a sword, but he fails to kill a little girl and then quickly flees. Not exactly Jaime Lannister-level. Oberyn also referred to him as "poison," and there's the fact that he tried to kill Myrcella in the first place and is likely the one who told Doran about the Queenmaker plot. That suggests to me that he and Doran already had some kind of relationship, otherwise Darkstar wouldn't bother going to him to sell out Arianne.

No, he's dangerous for something else. The real heir to the Iron Throne, who also happens to be hotheaded, arrogant and what looks to be another Viserys situation sounds pretty dangerous to me. As to why Doran doesn't marry Arianne to Gerold Dayne instead of (presumably) fAegon, I don't know. It's not as if House Dayne is too low for her, and thanks to Arthur Dayne it's relatively well known throughout Westeros. My theory is that Doran is supporting fAegon over the real Aegon because he wants to check out whether this supposed Targaryen taking Storm's End has a large army, is likable and would be a good king; from the looks of it so far, Darkstar would be a terrible king and Doran knows this.

Wait... I don't understand. You say Darkstar is Aegon?

Pretty sure Varys is [blackout] A Blackfyre. Brother-in-law to Illyrio (from his wife Serra) and uncle to Aegon "Young Griff" Blackfyre. The whole plan seems to me, to be a three-pronged strike to return Blackfyre supremacy using Viserys and Dorne, Daenerys and the Dothraki, whilst Aegon would have Connington and the Golden Company. I think the original plan was for them to have Aegon take the IT with the other two as simple ancillary support. Given that Illyrio and Varys would tout Aegon as Rhaegar's son, with Jon Con helping to verify his identity, the other "Targaryens" would be forced to cede the throne to him. [/blackout]

I think it's anyone's guess as to who will be the next major character to bite the dust but does anyone have any predictions on who they think will survive the series?

Of the Stark clan, I'd guess Sansa and Rickon will be the last two standing. Sansa is beginning to understand the game but i don't know if she has a goal in mind like most of the other players. I think Bran may become a new Three Eyed Raven of sorts, so he's undead/immortal.

Sir Barristan seems like a solid survivor unless he sacrifices himself for Dany or the Yunkai take Merreen in the next book.

Theon is an absolute mystery. He has suffered for his betrayal of Robb so i'm not sure his death would stem from that, but he seems like a really superfluous character at this point. Would anybody really care if Theon died? Probably not, so I can see him making it.

I'm not sure how Stannis will go but he is still responsible for Renly's death and he deserves consequences for that. I think once the Red god is done with him, he's gone. Maybe even have Brienne, seeking vengeance for Renly, somehow sneak her way to Stannis and strike him down.
Stannis straight up knows how he's going to die. He told Davos in ASOS.

He's too old. Aegon was born in 282 AC, making him Robb's age. Darkstar is in his mid-late 20's, putting his birth year at 270-274 AC.

His age has never been specifically stated; it was just a passing thought of Arianne's. People can look older or younger than they are.

Stannis straight up knows how he's going to die. He told Davos in ASOS.
StephenDillaneReactions4_zpsfcd216a0.gif

“I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning… burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?” –
Stannis, to Davos Seaworth

I say Joffrey comes back from the dead as a wight near the end of the last book and the entire surviving cast beats the hell out of him for a dozen pages or so.

If it doesn't happen, I may cry a bit.

Lee Pace would be a pretty great Griffith in a Berserk adaptation....

Any word on if/when we will see Lady Stoneheart?

Any word on if/when we will see Lady Stoneheart?

She will probably be replaced with Blackfish. He's still MIA, and throughout AFFC there's hints at Stoneheart's BWB infiltrating the Freys. Popular speculation is that there's going to be a RW 2.0 at the next Lannister-Frey wedding. I forget what the Lannister's name was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"