Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I was hoping they'd use that magical Dornish rogaine and let her hair grow down to her ass again in a season. **** the timeline!

To be fair, she has to be stylizing it at this point. I mean think of everything that has happened since she lost her hair. It has to have been months, if not a year.

Obvs I don't expect her hair to be down to her ass, but they could have let it grow some length. Her short hair now is so ugly compared to everyone else's, and it's a shame bc she used to have the best hair. It wouldn't be as bad if she at least tried to style it. This style would be nice on cersei this season...
gDEJSau.png

And then next season they need to let it grow a little and have it as a short bob like this
sX8CXzU.png

I think they should keep the shirt hair for Cersei; it follows the idea that we're seeing just how much of Cersei was in Joffrey, since she looks so similar to her son. It kind of shows how all her fashion and patience earlier was a thin veneer of the exact same flaws as Joffrey. It also kind of reflects on just how bad Tywin was; he dressed up a sociopath in pretty clothes and traded her like a cow, and was still confused at how that wound up hurting him in the long run.

Plus the short hair is more masculine. Cersei has always wanted to be a man or have the image and power of a man. Now that she is on the throne she's wearing the westeros equivalent of "power suits", has the crown, short hair, and walks around like she's the top dog. She's not looking to be all feminine and dainty. And it's a haircut that's easy to manage. Makes her seem more pragmatic and businesslike.

Yeah, will be interesting to see how things work out when GOT finished and they have a clearer schedule.

I sure hope Peter Dinklage's career continues to surge. I wanna see him do more tv though.

It is funny watching Gemma Whelan play Yara Greyjoy on Game Of Thrones and then watching her on kids educational sketch comedy show Horrible Histories.

[YT]/cOfYnJf-i4E[/YT]
I wish they would let cersei's hair grow. It used to be so beautiful when it was longer.

Lena wore a wig as Cersei. Lena Heady real hair has been short for years.

The change of hair style and clothing is symbolic to her rise in power.

Wow. A few minutes ago I entered the [BLACKOUT]forums of Wiki of Ice and Fire[/BLACKOUT] for some research about the Night King(book) and I was incredibly surprised of the hatred regarding Jon and Daenerys' reunion.

Practically everyone posting in there described it as "rubish, Jon wouldn't say that to her, Daenerys would never adress at Jon like she did, this is utterly fanfiction" and so on.

Jeez.... just calm down a bit. Of course their reunion was strange for some people. I mean, I've been waiting for this reunion since I read all the books in 2013, and a lot of people are waiting for this probably since 2000 or before.

While awaiting for this meetig one always imagine how it would be. So every possible dialogue scenario has been explored. Therefore it's pretty obvious it wouldn't exceed the expectations created. For example I wanted Jon to tell Dany EVERYTHING. Like how he was murdered and about the direwolves (to parallel the dragons) and yadda yadda.

I personally loved it. I think it played really well, it was greatly written (despite much of the hatred D&D receive, i admit I criticized them my fare share) and it was faithful to both characters.

Would it be fair to say Game of Thrones is the biggest show of this decade and arguably one of the top 5 series of the 21st century so far? That's in regard to both popularity and critical review. Maybe even top 3.

The last cable series that was as big as GOT (IMO) was The Sopranos. That struck a critical nerve with pop culture.

Not sure if GoT is bigger than Walking Dead but sure would be a good discussion on if it is or not.

What else could compete? Breaking Bad is a notch below. I don't think it has anywhere near as much replay value even though everyone blitzes the whole thing after watching the first couple of episodes. Walking Dead also isn't quite on the same level. It's addicting TV but I don't feel like I've watched an event that will be remembered for a lifteime. All just my opinions of course. House of Cards is good but I think GoT is no.1 for recent shows so it certainly has a chance of top 5 in consensus. Sopranos is probably the best comparison I can think of in terms of impact. I guess there are a lot of shows where I am only partway through which are very good and might pick up into great territory in later seasons so my view might change but GoT is at worst a very strong contender.

Wow. A few minutes ago I entered the [BLACKOUT]forums of Wiki of Ice and Fire[/BLACKOUT] for some research about the Night King(book) and I was incredibly surprised of the hatred regarding Jon and Daenerys' reunion.

Practically everyone posting in there described it as "rubish, Jon wouldn't say that to her, Daenerys would never adress at Jon like she did, this is utterly fanfiction" and so on.

Jeez.... just calm down a bit. Of course their reunion was strange for some people. I mean, I've been waiting for this reunion since I read all the books in 2013, and a lot of people are waiting for this probably since 2000 or before.

While awaiting for this meetig one always imagine how it would be. So every possible dialogue scenario has been explored. Therefore it's pretty obvious it wouldn't exceed the expectations created. For example I wanted Jon to tell Dany EVERYTHING. Like how he was murdered and about the direwolves (to parallel the dragons) and yadda yadda.

I personally loved it. I think it played really well, it was greatly written (despite much of the hatred D&D receive, i admit I criticized them my fare share) and it was faithful to both characters.

It's not a reunion it's just a union haha.

Breaking Bad is a far, FAR better show than GoT, but I do agree that GoT is "the biggest" of the 21st century.

im most impressed with the acting the production value, and the camerawork. I've seen some amazing and cinematic things in this show that I'd never seen in other shows. One of the best moments for me was Jon Snow in the Battle of the Bastards. It was all one shot ala Oldboy or Daredevil and it followed Snow through the battle. You saw arrows raining down, people getting run over by horses, and Snow choppn people down. It was a breathtaking scene I was very impressed. This show has some movie quality stuff in it.

Would it be fair to say Game of Thrones is the biggest show of this decade and arguably one of the top 5 series of the 21st century so far? That's in regard to both popularity and critical review. Maybe even top 3.

The last cable series that was as big as GOT (IMO) was The Sopranos. That struck a critical nerve with pop culture.

Not sure if GoT is bigger than Walking Dead but sure would be a good discussion on if it is or not.

I'd say Game of Thrones has surpassed The Sopranos in terms of being a cultural phenomenon at this point.

Six feet under is hbos best show ever and it deserves more love

Breaking Bad is a far, FAR better show than GoT, but I do agree that GoT is "the biggest" of the 21st century.

Agreed. I'm amazed the later seasons are getting as much critical praise as the earlier seasons. The show has some strong armour.

Obvs I don't expect her hair to be down to her ass, but they could have let it grow some length. Her short hair now is so ugly compared to everyone else's,

Women in power having short hair is longstanding trope

I can't imagine that D&D nor HBO knew how big of a hit the show has been. I figured season 4 would be its peak. But the ratings keep climbing. It's like Insane.

Just about everyone I am aware of either watches or knows someone who follows GoT.

It's possible that GoT fandom can rival the Buffy/Firefly/Walking Dead's of the world. Not as devoted as Star Wars or Star Trek or Lord of the Rings in geekdom, but quite respectable to mainstream audiences.

I absolutely loved Breaking Bad. Think I watched it in 3 days or something stupid. I just don't get a very strong urge to rewatch it for some reason.

I absolutely loved Breaking Bad. Think I watched it in 3 days or something stupid. I just don't get a very strong urge to rewatch it for some reason.

Breaking Bad was the start of my binge watching tv series days. After that I binge watched Walking Dead, and now Game of thrones. I just recently caught up on all the seasons. IMO it's a great time for tv shows right now.

Breaking Bad was the start of my binge watching tv series days. After that I binge watched Walking Dead, and now Game of thrones. I just recently caught up on all the seasons. IMO it's a great time for tv shows right now.

I went through quite a few years of hardly watching shows, say between Smallville till Lost and then still didn't really get hooked until a few years ago when I have been catching up on everything. I normally only binge watch shows that are finished. On the others I'm catching up on them all slowly but not as in as much of a rush as I can't see it all anyway (GoT is the most obvious exception).

In terms of popularity and critical praise, it is probably the top in that the only other shows as universally loved that were huge cultural juggernauts are The Sopranos and Breaking Bad. I would say shows like Mad Men, Six Feet Under, The Wire, and maybe even Sons of Anarchy have had even more critical respect (for better or worse), but none of them came anywhere near close this popularity.

Whereas I think the two other dramas that really are as popular as Thrones if not more so--Lost and The Walking Dead--are much more "schlocky" and have less critical acclaim. Lost more retroactively seems to be receiving derision given its ending while The Walking Dead is kind of well known for its sloppy and cheap writing. Not saying that makes it bad, but even fans are aware that TWD is not exactly aiming for high class in its plotting.

So yes, Thrones, Breaking Bad, and The Sopranos are probably the biggest shows of the last 17 years. I imagine Thrones will even be the one that gets the most rewatch value after its complete since it is tackled as a kind of giant movie and its genre quality will attract a certain type of fan who does not mind mining older media for entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"