Absolute Killing Joke - new colours

I personally like the idea of re-visiting old books and updating the color. Coloring technology, unlike pencilings and ink jobs which hold up pretty well if there's real talent behind them, is something that is constantly evolving. What was considered an adequate color job 20 years ago probably looks like crap today, unless it was done with intentionally hand-done looking medium like water color.

but we're not talking a bad four colour job here, the re-colour's visual appearance isn't noticeably 'better' than the original besides a new choice of pallette. Comparing the two images, there seems to be equal variations between light and dark and tonal change on surfaces (looking at the jacket, the original has a bit more sharpness to it, while the re-color looks like its a bit softer in how the color varies, which to me isn't enough of a change to warrant a recolour on its own (and I personally prefer sharper differentiation in coloring anyway rather than soft digital brushes).

But I might change my mind when I see what they do with some of the more garish pages in the comic (which I'm skeptical about changing... I mean, its a comic about going MAD in a crazy circus... do the colors NEED to be toned down?)

Timstuff, comparing the recoloured Joker's 5-way Revenge story is a good example: I know the purists will hate me for it, but the re-colour is miles better than the original, which as you said, was limited by the printing technology at the time. But a comic like the Killing Joke which was already exceptionally coloured in terms of technique and technology will be an interesting one to judge.

If the original colors were too colorful...

why has he made the joker's hat a lighter shade and his bow-tie green?

I think calling the original "too colourful" refers more to things like the carnival scenes, or even the flashbacks to the bar, in which everything is garishly yellow (including everyone's skin and clothes).

I've never found the colouring to be that bad, but I'm interested to see what Bolland does with it.

What was considered an adequate color job 20 years ago probably looks like crap today

true, but when was the last time you looked at The Killing Joke?

Ha Ha! When i heard the new edition was coming with figures I immediatly thought of Hawaii Joker. I've been waiting for this bad boy for a long time, i use to shake my head in disblief that it'd never been produced. This will be the first figure I buy in 11 years, I can put Hawaii Joker with the inevitable Nurse and Cop. awesome! too bad it doesn't come with midgets

not really a fan of the new cover, but hey, it's only a cover

I wasn't too crazy about TKJ's colors, there was a lot of...purple. On Batman's cape, in puddles, etc. I get what they were doing, trying to fit with the crazy Joker stuff, but it just didn't work for me.

Though new colors aren't gonna make me buy it again. :o

There's an interesting article over at CBR. Denny O'Neil talks about editing The Killing Joke and dealing with grandmothers who bought the book for their kids. He has some interesting comments on Joker; the Joker is capable of "irrational kindess" as well as evil, and O'Neil supports humanising the Joker because "there has to be a reason" and if you dig deep enough under the skin "we are all brothers". Also something about a buddhist monk.

If the original colors were too colorful...

COMIC_batman_the_killing_joke.jpg
8745400x600rp5.jpg

why has he made the joker's hat a lighter shade and his bow-tie green?

Uh...that's no different than the original. I have a poster of the original cover hanging up right now, and the only difference is the hat, which on the 3rd printing of the original I believe was orange. They havent altered the cover...

Uh...that's no different than the original. I have a poster of the original cover hanging up right now, and the only difference is the hat, which on the 3rd printing of the original I believe was orange. They havent altered the cover...

New to me...

...next thing you know, Greedo shows up and shoots the joker, and Boba Fett makes an appearance for no damn reason...when will it end!!!!???

New to me...

I've seen the orange hat version at my comic store in a back issue bin before, and I have a poster of the green tie version hanging on my wall right now...I can take a picture of it if you want. I bought the poster about 3 years ago too, so it's not new or anything.

I've seen the orange hat version at my comic store in a back issue bin before, and I have a poster of the green tie version hanging on my wall right now...I can take a picture of it if you want. I bought the poster about 3 years ago too, so it's not new or anything.

nah, I believe ya

I still gotta read this. I went to the comic book store around here and he had it for 75$. I can't pay that much for a comic book. haha.

They used to have a first printing at my store hanging on the wall with the valuable comics for $10. If he's charging $75, he's ripping your ass off, as it's really not rare at all.

They used to have a first printing at my store hanging on the wall with the valuable comics for $10. If he's charging $75, he's ripping your ass off, as it's really not rare at all.

Yeah, I remember 2 years back when i went to wizard world they had the 1st edition for $25, and I bought the second edition for $7.

Sounds interesting. I loved the coloring in The Killing Joke, but it'll also be pretty interesting to see what Bolland does with it. Hopefully it's not just a tweak here and there, and instead he goes all out basically creating a entirely different color palette for the newest edition. It could really make a difference.

I'm still trying to figure out where I can find any source of comics are the like...

Releasing a re-colored classic shouldn't be hard, right?

I can't wait to see some scans for comparison.

I'll be picking this up as I have yet to read it.

It has been out of print for WAY too long.

I better not have to wait till July.. street date anyone?

Barring any delays, March 19.

i love the color job on the original book so im really curious to see what changes they made.

having said that, im not a big fan when any artist revisits work so highly regarded. usually the results are underwelming. see dark knight stikes back and star wars: a new hope special edition for reference.

usually the results are underwelming. see dark knight stikes back and star wars: a new hope special edition for reference.

Come on, it's not like Bolland's redoing his entire comic--just the colors. :huh:

is bolland doing the colors, or is someone else. in the dc collection of alan moore work he had an interview saying he wanted to do the colors but ran out of time.

Bolland is doing it.

then im sold, Bolland is one of the best comic artist ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"