Academy To Extend Best Picture Nominess To 10

The Chairman

Pimps' Main Prophet
Reaction score
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/breaking-oscars-best-picture-nominees-will-expand-to-ten

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has just announced in a small blurb the Oscars this year will be bumping their Best Picture nominees from five to ten beginning with the upcoming 2010 Oscars President Sid Ganis announced today at a press conference in Beverly Hills.
“After more than six decades, the Academy is returning to some of its earlier roots, when a wider field competed for the top award of the year,” said Ganis. “The final outcome, of course, will be the same – one Best Picture winner – but the race to the finish line will feature 10, not just five, great movies from 2009.”
The move is an obvious response to the recent discussion concerning The Dark Knight’s absence from the nominees for more art house style films such as The Reader and I would expect we can now look at Up as a serious contender for a Best Picture nominee when previous Pixar favorites Ratatouille and WALL-E were left in the cold.
“Having 10 Best Picture nominees is going allow Academy voters to recognize and include some of the fantastic movies that often show up in the other Oscar categories, but have been squeezed out of the race for the top prize,” commented Ganis. “I can’t wait to see what that list of ten looks like when the nominees are announced in February.”
Personally I am not sure what I think about the move as it obviously cheapens the category, but then again I guess it will all but eliminate the complaining. This also means my year-end predictions will now be more about predicting slots 8-10 than 1-5. Could be interesting… We’ll have to wait and see. What are your thoughts on it?
The 82nd Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, February 2. The Oscar ceremony honoring films for 2009 will again take place at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood on March 7, 2010, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network.

Hmm, on the one hand, it could allow for some more unconventional fare to get a shot at a nod, or it could just make the Oscars more bloated and pretentious then they've already become.

Thoughts?

Like it matters. I will not watch the oscars, unless they drop the stigma on Genre films and put the FX awards back in the main telecast.

Last edited:
They're just doing this, so they won't piss off people anymore.

This can be either a good thing or a bad thing.

On the one hand, this will allow for those very good films that are (supposedly) not "Oscar material."

On the other hand, this may just leave more room for art house films that nobody saw to take up spots.

We'll see.

Ten seems like a little much, especially this year. It's good in the sense that more quality films have a shot at consideration but could also lead to a bloated list with less quality overall. Seven would've been a weird number but would work as there are hardly more than two or three alternates that really deserve a nomination outside the elected five.

This is great news for Pixar though as Up and their future films will be shoe-ins for Best Picture noms.

I think it's good because as others have said it gives a chance for other films that are deserving to be nominated but weren't because they weren't as "Oscar worthy"(whatever that really means) as the others.

On a side note and I know people will hate me for it, I still and always will believe that animated films should be left in their own category and not compete with real films using real actors/locations. Keep the animated films under the 'Best Animated Film' category.

Well, if an animated film is better than any live action film, it should be recognized as such.

Also, hopefully this leaves enough space for a Potter nomination for one of these last 3 movies :o

Well, if an animated film is better than any live action film, it should be recognized as such.

As great as a lot of them are they never will be in my eyes.

Although it takes a damn good number of man hours to create/animate CGI characters and whatnot I still look at it as cheating in a way when it comes to awards. To win best picture you have to overall have good to great everything including cinematography and lighting. While a real film maker on location has to get that right timing with the shot with the right lightning and shade an animator literally can just create it pitch perfect anyway he wants, I think there's less skill involved being able to kind of play God creating skylines for example that you would never see or find in reality that could out do anything a film maker can catch with a camera. Same with creating facial expressions and getting the emotions you want out of your actors/characters. A director at times has to struggle to get the right and best performance out of his actors while an animator simply just does it right then and there.I know many people will still disagree but that's just how I've always felt.

this will give a good chance for Avatar to get a nod

When are they going to get the message... nobody cares about the Oscars anymore!

It'll help DVD sales..."Nominated for Best Picture" for the other five on the list. Overall, I don't see a problem with it.

With 10 nominations there will be a few more "main stream" nods to the list to get more of an audience.

I don't care about any news involving the Oscars...........unless Conan O'Brien ends up hosting.

Unreal!

This should have been done last year to get TDK in there even though it should have been anyway in the top 5.

However, this move to having 10 nominees for Best Picture is nothing short of a sad and cheap attempt at trying to get more people to watch the Oscar show and is ridiculous!

The Academy once again shows its' stupidity!

I'm guessing this has something to do with The Academy's failure to last year to nominate Wall-E, The Wrestler and The Dark Knight, they know they screwed up last year, big time. Got an idea Academy, how about instead of increasing the number of nominees in order to boost the chances of mainstream movie getting nominated, how about you actual nominate the best films of the whole year instead of the Oscar baited garbage that get released every October, November and December? Think about it.

I'm guessing this has something to do with The Academy's failure to last year to nominate Wall-E, The Wrestler and The Dark Knight, they know they screwed up last year, big time. Got an idea Academy, how about instead of increasing the number of nominees in order to boost the chances of mainstream movie getting nominated, how about you actual nominate the best films of the whole year instead of the Oscar baited garbage that get released every October, November and December? Think about it.

Exactly!!

This will give the chance of Public Enemies and star trek to be nominated

This will give the chance of Public Enemies and star trek to be nominated

Wouldn't go so far as Star Trek but I think Public Enemies chances just improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"