Academy To Extend Best Picture Nominess To 10

I'm guessing this has something to do with The Academy's failure to last year to nominate Wall-E, The Wrestler and The Dark Knight, they know they screwed up last year, big time. Got an idea Academy, how about instead of increasing the number of nominees in order to boost the chances of mainstream movie getting nominated, how about you actual nominate the best films of the whole year instead of the Oscar baited garbage that get released every October, November and December? Think about it.

Truth

The only real complaint last year was The Reader so I don't know why people act like **** movies are getting nominated every year. Who cares if they're all the same type of movie? That type is quality. Not to say blockbusters or any other films that have been dismissed by the Academy weren't high caliber, but is it really a snub to be beaten by the likes of Slumdog Millionaire, The Departed or No Country for Old Men?

And disagreeing with the new format is one thing, but if you don't like the Oscars at all then this obviously isn't the thread for you. Comments like "who cares about these awards anyway" are completely unnecessary.

I was about to make a thread on this. 10 is a lot. I think its a good idea but I would've went with 7 myself. I think this is mostly because a lot of people were angry about the TDK snub....but still.
It could be good though...maybe films like The Dark Knight and others can get a chance to be nominated

And it could finally allow some animated films to get the spotlight. Wall-E was a GREAT film worthy of a nomination. This can change the way academy voters see things.

10 is too much. they should have just added 2 more to make it 7.

I'm guessing this has something to do with The Academy's failure to last year to nominate Wall-E, The Wrestler and The Dark Knight, they know they screwed up last year, big time. Got an idea Academy, how about instead of increasing the number of nominees in order to boost the chances of mainstream movie getting nominated, how about you actual nominate the best films of the whole year instead of the Oscar baited garbage that get released every October, November and December? Think about it.

that's subjective. the ones nominated are what the ACADEMY thinks should be nominated. If it's what the people want then you're thinking about the People Choice Awards...

^Come on...its pretty obvious that somebody bribed the academy to get the reader on there (And yes I saw it....and yes it is a cliched oscar bait film and there were many nominees that were MUCH better that year. Mainstream and indie alike)

I think instead of 10, they should go with 6 or 7. If that works out, then work their way to 10 if needed.

This really is pointless...All it really is for is for marketing purposes...

So on dvd's and ads they can put Academy Award Nominee - Best Motion Picture...

They do nominate films through out the whole year..Crash was released in May of 2005 and won best picture, Fargo was nominated and was released in Febuary. The Wrestler was good,but other movies that came out were better. The Best stuff gets released during Oct-December cause they trying for an oscar and want that movie to be fresh in people's mind during Jan voting season. Get educated about the oscars then come back and make a post.

I don't like this. Having 10 nominees makes being nominates less significant.

And it annoys me that the movie that might have inspired this change most is the ****ing Dark Knight.

Last edited:
This is a horrible idea. They're going to only have three that actually deserve it... two filler ones... one or two that would normally get snubbed... and then three crap movies that get put in just for free marketing of the DVD coming soon to a store near you.

It's an attempt to get the 18-35 year old crowd to watch the Oscars. They think that by doing this that it will get that crowd to watch the Oscars if one or two mainstream movies are up for Best Picture.

That and nominating an actor/actress from a mainstream movie, much like Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jr. were nominated last year or when Johnny Depp was nominated for the first Pirates movie.

It's an attempt to get the 18-35 year old crowd to watch the Oscars. They think that by doing this that it will get that crowd to watch the Oscars if one or two mainstream movies are up for Best Picture.

That and nominating an actor/actress from a mainstream movie, much like Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jr. were nominated last year or when Johnny Depp was nominated for the first Pirates movie.

They were nominated because they gave great performances. :huh: Did anyone else deserve to win more than Ledger? And depp lost, but he gave a very unique performance that was unlike anything you have ever seen.

But this is too much. It's either a. to draw attention and to change something up for the sake of it, or b. try to nominate more mainstream films in because they knew they ****ed up with TDK.

I know that Ledger and RDJ gave great performances.

Wouldn't go so far as Star Trek but I think Public Enemies chances just improved.

Oh, no. You ABSOLUTELY go as far as Star Trek.

This is exactly the type of film that benefits in this mess. A hugely critically successful blockbuster? You can bet your sweet grandma's peach cobbler Star Trek will be nominated now.

I think this whole thing is complete rubbish, and it diminishes the prestige of being a Best Picture nominee. Now all you have to do is put out a decent movie that either A.) Appeals to the voters or B.) People have heard of and appreciated, and you have a legitimate shot at a Best Pic Nom. It's asinine.

Now I have 10 reasons to not give a sh** about the Oscars.:up:

I think 10 movies might mess with the voting scale too much.

Dark Knight, Yes
Star Trek, not a chance

Of course it's the year after TDK. But this is a chance for Up! to get some more Oscar action (it will win Best Animated Film no doubt).

With five extra slots to throw a few movies a bone, the best reviewed movie of the year (Star Trek) absolutely has a chance. I don't see how you can even argue that. This is the very reasoning behind doing something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"