Academy To Extend Best Picture Nominess To 10

I'm sorry but No Country for Old Men was a terrible film. If you want to look at it in quality, there was no climax, almost the entire film was left up to inference, there was no music, and the only real Tragic Hero in the movie was Sheriff Bell, and he wasn't even the main focus. Chigurh's character contradicted himself in practically everyscene and moreso in the movie because at least in the book you kind of have an idea as to why he's doing what he's doing. The book was just as bad, too much gun talk, not enough detail on necessary things but too much detail on uneeded stuff (like guns and dead bodies). There was 0 punctuation used and there were no quotation marks. No Country for Old Men was one of THE worst movies and books I have ever scene and read.

I don't care if you have 13000 + posts. That is just flat out ******ed what you just wrote. People didn't like the movie because it didn't follow the typical Hollywood system of its acts. It's climax was lifted away. The villian wins. The theme of the book and movie was in the title. And it ended ubruptly. Boo hoo. I'll take this over any simple minded formatted movie over that last 30 years. You had no idea where the story was to end. The movie left you thinking.

There's just too much to even say about this I'm so annoyed.

Considering that The Sixth Sense and all three LotR movies were nominated for Best Picture, is it fair to conclude that "nowadays" is simply 2004 to present?

Heck, Juno and The Departed certainly fit a general definition of popular, as they were significant financial successes even before awards season. Benjamin Button too. Slumdog Millionaire also had been building for awhile. Yeah, the Academy skipped TDK and there are probably another 3 or 4 blockbusters this decade that were worthy of consideration, but it's hardly some conscious superiority attitude. There are probably just as many foreign language films that would have been worthy nominees as there are snubbed blockbusters. The Academy is decidedly middle brow in taste, and biased in favor of actor driven movies.

There's some nuance to be had here.

Exactly. Rarely is there a Best Picture winner without a Lead Actor/Actress nom/winner to go along with it. The only ones I can think of off the top my head are Titantic, Slumdog and LOTR.

Exactly. Rarely is there a Best Picture winner without a Lead Actor/Actress nom/winner to go along with it. The only ones I can think of off the top my head are Titantic, Slumdog and LOTR.

Very true and even Titannic had Kate Winslet's performance. Slumdog and LOTR are some of the only movies purely on how good the movie was compared to being led by exellent performances. Slumdog more than any.

The academy loves to award/nominate touchy subject matter as well. Though some are magnificent like Milk or Doubt others are like Crash which IMO shouldn't have won best picture at all. I like Crash but come on...best picture.

I usually watch the academy to see which actor gets what a award and for the production awards rather than the always iffy best picture award.

I'd say the only summer movie that stands to benefit from this is Funny People (assuming it is good) as it seems to be Apatow's prestige picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"