Addressing some concerns, and X3 as a film

The Batman said:
Not really. why support a movie that butchers classic storylines, and has a production team that lies to the fans?

What, like saying that we wouldnt see a sentinel in X3, but then we do? If this goes back to the whole Gambit issue, just stop. The novel has him in it. Read it, and maybe you will get your damn fill....

I still want someone to explain where the writers/studio lied about anything.

They didn't lie about Sentinels. All that was ever promised was that Sentinels would be involved, and they are, in a scene fans have been clamoring for for years: The Danger Room.

The didn't lie about Cyclops, as they never said that he didn't die, or that he had a large role, they just said that he played a key role (and he does, his presence/interaction with Jean totally kicks off the Dark Phoenix storyline) that they thought fans would be happy with (because it absolutely cements the fact that Cyclops and Jean love each other and shows a bit more of Cyclops and Wolverine), and said they had certain parameters they had to follow regarding Cyclops use in the film.

I do not recall Kinberg and Penn lying about Dark Phoenix in any way, except for saying there would be a "Phoenix effect", which some people took to mean "firebird effect".

So what exactly did they lie about?

The Guard said:
I still want someone to explain where the writers/studio lied about anything.

They didn't lie about Sentinels. All that was ever promised was that Sentinels would be involved, and they are, in a scene fans have been clamoring for for years: The Danger Room.

The didn't lie about Cyclops, as they never said that he didn't die, or that he had a large role, they just said that he played a key role (and he does, his presence/interaction with Jean totally kicks off the Dark Phoenix storyline) that they thought fans would be happy with (because it absolutely cements the fact that Cyclops and Jean love each other and shows a bit more of Cyclops and Wolverine), and said they had certain parameters they had to follow regarding Cyclops use in the film.

I do not recall Kinberg and Penn lying about Dark Phoenix in any way, except for saying there would be a "Phoenix effect", which some people took to mean "firebird effect".

So what exactly did they lie about?

I could be wrong, but I think some of the deception they might be referring to are the ads featuring characters such as Cyclops and Angel being in costume, (which thereby implies they are functional, fighting members of the X-Men, etc.) when in actuality the aren't so much in the film . . . or whatever the debate is. I don't know--that's my guess though.

The Guard said:
I'm tired of arguing about Cyclops death, why he doesn't play the role he does in the comics, and the omission of various things (Rogue's superpowers, Gambit, Sentinel battles, etc). There's an obvious choice that has to be made about these films: we can accept that some things must be compromised on, and that there are reasons to do so, or remain uncomprising on principle, and whine because this franchise has not gone the way we wanted it to go (which I find kind of arrogant, because we aren't the ones doling out the money, doing the work, etc). I choose to compromise, because there are good reasons to do so. For everything the filmmakers have gotten wrong, they've gotten that much more right. One negative (or several) does not, to me, outweight all the positives about this franchise, and this take on the X-Men. And that's what it is...a take on the X-Men. Not a literal transation of the comic books.

Clearly, Cyclops' death/disappearance can be seen as a negative. Absolutely. I think we'd all like to see more of him, and see his character flourish, and play the role we're used to seeng him playing, both in the mythos, and in the Phoenix Saga. But I think, as a moviegoers and fans, we have to be realistic about a couple of factors. One, James Marsden/Cyclops was never going to be a HUGE player in this mythology with all the characters yet to be introduced, and the name recognition aspect, and two, Marsden doing SUPERMAN RETURNS pulled the rug out from any chance Cyclops had to play his true role in the Phoenix Saga. It's not neccessarily ignorance on the creative teams parts: the producers, writers, director, etc absolutely know the role Cyclops played in the comic book mythos. But because Marsden went to SUPERMAN RETURNS, he simply cannot play that role in this franchise. It's just not doable on any realistic level, unless they wanted to cast a complete unknown or a star to replace him, which would be disaster for the chemistry between Phoenix and Cyclops and Wolverine and wreck what has been a fairly strong continuity between films, with a few small exceptions.

As far as concerns about the role each character plays in the Dark Phoenix Saga compared to this film...this is not "The Dark Phoenix Saga". It just isn't. This is a movie about the X-Men, based on characters found in the X-Men comics, that has chosen to show the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix ELEMENT of Jean Grey's character from the mythology because it is an extremely interesting concept (and they are not only drawing from the Dark Phoenix Saga storyline, but from Phoenix: Rising and Phoenix: Endsong and other sources). Much like the filmmakers chose to use The Cure storyline, but not actually use most of it, or altered most of it. Or the way they used elements of the God Loves, Man Kills storyline in X2, but again, altered much of it for the film's purposes.

This is not The Dark Phoenix Saga. I don't know how many times I can say that. It's the appearance of Dark Phoenix in X3.

Forsaking the essence of the comic book? Yes. But not forsaking the essence of the story that has been told in movie form since X-MEN, where Wolverine has been the main player, who was clearly building toward a leadership role at some point, and had a relationship with Jean Grey. Everything that happens in this franchise, and in X3, seems to makes sense in the context of what has gone before it. At some point, fans are going to have to realize...this isn't the comics.

As such, whether you think they should be or not, they are not bound by any set of "rules" about the comic book mythology.

In what regard? Should he be seen? Yes, but not in the fashion Arclight, Quill and Multiple Man are being used in: EXTREMELY small roles. As cannon fodder (I.E, they will be killed so the war doesn't appear as a sham). Is that really what you want to see from Gambit's character? If all you want is to know he exists in this franchise, look no further than X2 (Stryker's computer screen).

I have said this before, as I said it about Angel and Beast during X2 and beyond. Much like their omittance in X2, "The Gambit Situation" is obvious. It has been obvious since X2, when Beast and Angel and Gambit did not show up, why this was occurring. It is not that they do not like Gambit, and do not want to use him. When they say "We don't want him to be a throwaway cameo", I see no reason not to believe them. Gambit has enormous character potential to be popular with moviegoers. It is obvious that Gambit WILL BE SEEN in a future X-Men film. Probably X4 or GENERATION X. FOX has a plan. They have had a plan for X-Men since X-MEN was a hit. They know exactly what they have. This is not likely to be the last stand.

I will respond to this.

I watch these movies, because they are about the X-Men. The X-Men is my favorite fictional universe, period. I love these characters.

When these movies have come out, I have been totally open to any changes that need to be made to make the film work.

But at the same time, there is still a line. When you forsake the essence of the world and the characters, they cease to be the same characters, it ceases to be the same world.

That is the problem with killing off Cyclops, turning Wolverine into a leader, and having him be Jean's savior. Because that is such an extreme deviation, that it ceases to be the same world.

Like I said before, it's as if Aragorn gets killed off in the war, and upon his return from Mt. Doom, Frodo is made the King of Gondor for his efforts in destroying the ring and restoring peace to Middle Earth. Such a deviation, and it ceases to be the same world, and the same characters.

THAT'S the problem with killing off Cyclops, making Wolverine a leader, and turning him into Jean Grey's savior. Jean Grey and Scott Summers are lovers, not Jean Grey and Logan. The love between Jean Grey and Scott Summers, from my knowledge of the Phoenix storyline, is really the only thing strong enough to bring her back from the Phoenix's control, and become herself again. Wolverine has NEVER been a leader. He is too rebellious, too wreckless, too independant to be a leader. By turning him into a leader, and the physical embodiment of Professor Xavier's dream, he ceases to be the same Wolverine character. He is something totally different.

I anticipate, watch, and enjoy these movies for giving me adaptations of these characters, not totally changing them around. And that is exactly what is happening in the Phoenix part of this film.

And to respond to your other point, this isn't even what's been set up in the previous films. Watch X-Men, and in particular, X2: X-Men United again. Wolverine is not leaning towards a leadership position in any aspect. Cyclops and Storm were the established leaders. Wolverine merely made a choice to stay put, and join the X-Men.

And if you watch X2, you'll realize that Jean & Scott's connection was set up through both movies, especially X2. Jean Grey spent 2 movies rejecting Wolverine and telling him the 2 of them could never be. She spent the last part of X2, after Scott reammerged, talking about how much she loved him. Scott spent most of his time in X2 talking about how much he loved her, and would never let anything happen to her. Scott more than showed his affection for her when she sacrificed herself. And Wolverine made it clear to Scott that she chose Cyclops, NOT Wolverine. It was set up, and made clear, that Cyclops was who she was meant to be with, not Wolverine.

And so we have X-Men 3: The Last Stand, which has her rising from Alkali Lake, and killing Cyclops on the spot. And it seems even more likely that she's already been overwhelmed with her powers, and gone a bit towards the "dark side" before she kills him, so it's not killing him that sets her off. And whether it is or isn't, there are still other things that could set her off. Like Xavier, the person she looked up to like a father, and probably trusted more than anyone, the fact that he manipulated her, and basically chained her down (power-wise), and decieved her all those years.

I understand that James Marsden isn't a top bill actor like Jackman or Berry. And I understand that Marsden didn't have a lot of time considering he was filming Superman Returns. But he did get more time for X-Men 3 than originally anticipated, and definatley enough time to shoot a role bigger than him dying after 2 scenes in the movie. You could keep your "lead role" focus on Wolverine and Storm. Let Cyclops be unconcious and injured for part of the movie, only to head out to the final battle at the end and fulfill his role in the Phoenix Saga by being her savior, not Wolverine.

You already stated that the Phoenix Saga isn't the whole movie... and if Cyclops doesn't have a lot of time to shoot (Marsden-wise, obviously), then don't make him a major player in the cure. Make that Storm's spot, with Beast and Angel and some other supporting characters to headline that. Let Cyclops come at the end, when it's money time for the Phoenix Saga.

But no, such a major deviation, like this is, it ceases to be the same characters, the same world, and the same story. All of a sudden, it just becomes a soap opera with special effects.

And in terms of Gambit, you can accept it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it's bull****.

-Gambit was promised to us for X2... he didn't make it in. Don't believe me? I can't provide proof, but I remember reading on accurate websites (much like this, in fact I believe it was comingsoon.net or whatever) that Gambit was going to be in X2, for sure. We all know how that turned out.

-Numerous people involved, from Bryan Singer (who later departed) to producers, who are still on board, promised Gambit for this installment. And again, we all know how that turned out.

They use the whole "we didn't want to use him in a cameo role because he's better than that" justification, but it's utter bull****.

A good number of the major players in this movie, and in turn, the franchise, started out as cameos:

Iceman, Pyro, Kitty Pryde, Beast, Colossus

Gambit might be my favorite over any of those characters, but do you mean to tell me that Gambit is so much better than Colossus or Beast that he cannot possibly be done in a supporting role / cameo? But Colossus is so unimportant that no character development at all is important? Colossus isn't an important enough character, so you can totally forsake his ethnic background (which is a major part of his character) and everything his character stands for?

Gambit is too good for a quick cameo before getting a shot as a feature role in a later film, but Beast isn't? Beast, one of the original 5 members, isn't good enough for the "We need a BIG entrance!" line of thinking?

And though I don't agree that their stature is quite on the same level, personally, many people would argue the importance of Iceman, Pyro, and Kitty Pryde. So those characters are lesser characters than Gambit, and you can "waste" their big introduction on earlier cameos?

It's hypocritical. There's no way around it. And I am bitter about it. I've been waiting for Gambit for 6 years, and if I do get him, it's gonna end up being in some piece of **** "X-Kids" spinoff where he's fighting alongside ****ing Jones and Squidboy.

BMM said:
I could be wrong, but I think some of the deception they might be referring to are the ads featuring characters such as Cyclops and Angel being in costume, (which thereby implies they are functional, fighting members of the X-Men, etc.) when in actuality the aren't so much in the film . . . or whatever the debate is. I don't know--that's my guess though.

I'd say that's about it.

They haven't directly lied to us...

But there has been a lot of deception about this project:

"We're proud of Cyclops' role", "The fans will be happy", "There's many surprises in store for Cyclops", marketing him in his uniform...

Angel in uniform, apparently he's in like 3 scenes and doesn't do ****.

And how quickly people forget about the Gambit situation...

I love how Kinberg's responses went from "Gambit's not a major character" to "Gambit was never a part of the script"

I agree,plus rogue was said to have a substantial role.
we were told we shouldn't worry about not seeing alot of her in trailers as there is plenty more of her in the film and her scenes are spoilerish(lies we saw alll her scenes in trailers and tv spots).Plus all the crap about her in sequels which with her being cured is looking unlikely.

I will stand with TheGuard on this one...

I am sick of comic fans with their odd complaints. As far as im concerned they allow the directors cramped or no creative decision to freely take its course and apparently think the comics should overrun every other medium. These are odd complaints indeed imo.

XCharlieX said:

I am sick of comic fans with their odd complaints. As far as im concerned they allow the directors cramped or no creative decision to freely take its course and apparently think the comics should overrun every other medium. These are odd complaints indeed imo.
^
i never thought o it that way....well said.

i would HATE to be so constrained when directing something...

xwolverine2 said:
^
i never thought o it that way....well said.

i would HATE to be so constrained when directing something...

It is not us fans putting constraints on directors. In fact Singer and company wanted more comic book inspired movies. It's that fraud Rothman and other Corporate types who are stifling the creativity. Tim Story wanted to do so much more for the Fantastic Four movie but he was barred from adding more comic book elements. In fact Fox and Rothman didn't want any mention of Victor Von Doom or Doctor Doom in the movie at all. So don't blindly blame us! Put the blame on the more appropriate ingrates.

Godzilla2000 said:
It is not us fans putting constraints on directors. In fact Singer and company wanted more comic book inspired movies. It's that fraud Rothman and other Corporate types who are stifling the creativity. Tim Story wanted to do so much more for the Fantastic Four movie but he was barred from adding more comic book elements. In fact Fox and Rothman didn't want any mention of Victor Von Doom or Doctor Doom in the movie at all. So don't blindly blame us! Put the blame on the more appropriate ingrates.
......and fanboys just make it worse:o

xwolverine2 said:
......and fanboys just make it worse:o

No we don't!!!!!!!!! We want movies we want to see, not slapdash travesties like CINO. DOWN WITH GUYS LIKE ROTHMAN! UP WITH WE, THE TRUE GEEKS!!!

XCharlieX said:

So it's an odd complaint to want to see these characters brought to life as WHO THEY ARE, and the world they exist in brought to life as the WORLD THAT IT IS, and these stories told with some basic respect for the heart and soul of these stories that made them so appealing in the first place, just so that these filmmakers can have enough creative freedom to ignore the source material in such a way that these adaptations cease to be the same characters and world and stories we've come to love?

Amazing...

The Batman said:
Not really. why support a movie that butchers classic storylines, and has a production team that lies to the fans?
So concise, and so thoroughly sums up what I think. :up: :up: :up: :marv: :marv: :marv:
[Ions also notes it's the only post worth reading in this thread] :xmen:

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
So it's an odd complaint to want to see these characters brought to life as WHO THEY ARE, and the world they exist in brought to life as the WORLD THAT IT IS, and these stories told with some basic respect for the heart and soul of these stories that made them so appealing in the first place, just so that these filmmakers can have enough creative freedom to ignore the source material in such a way that these adaptations cease to be the same characters and world and stories we've come to love?

Amazing...
Truth be told.. nobody told you to get attached to the films version. You want your cake ok enjoy the comics.. you want to eat it too? please dont diss classy made films such as Singers or whoever deviates from comics that end up class acts such as Tim Burtons 89 batman or Chris Nolan and maybe even Brett Ratner. Im a stark believer of the director and writers creative rights to sculpt the film and tweek it to their specifications if they see fit... but it must be just right, and movie minded fans know when its right.

XCharlieX said:
Truth be told.. nobody told you to get attached to the films version. You want your cake ok enjoy the comics.. you want to eat it too? please dont diss classy made films such as Singers or whoever deviates from comics that end up class acts such as Tim Burtons 89 batman or Chris Nolan and maybe even Brett Ratner. Im a stark believer of the director and writers creative rights to sculpt the film and tweek it to their specifications if they see fit... but it must be just right, and movie minded fans know when its right.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't ever mix me up for a Singer basher. I love Singer's X-Men movies. His approach towards the comics was perfect;

He found a perfect blend of adaptation to fit the world into a 2 hour big screen installment, while still remaining faithful to the source material that inspired it.

What's happening here is not the same. It's telling one of the most classic tales in the fiction, but completely forsaking the major components of what makes the story; Scott & Jean, and their undying love that is the only thing that can break the control of Phoenix.

I understand all about adapting and making changes. Don't presume to make assumptions about me because I think the creative team crossed the line.

If you are going to deviate from the source material in such an extreme fashion, why even tell THAT story anyways?

I don't know why I feel the need to justify my opinion to someone like you, who obviously can't comprehend what I've written already anyways, but my complaint is not about making changes to adapt the world to fit into a 2 hour movie. I acknowledge, accept, and even embrace that.

What I do have a problem with, is making a movie about a certain fiction, a certain story arc, a certain group of characters, in this case, X-Men and the Phoenix Saga, but changing the story in such a way that it ceases to be the story you're adapting.

With all the changes being made to the movie version, the Phoenix Saga being shown in the films is nothing more than a soap opera with special effects; A dead lover rises from her grave, kills the man she is supposed to love, and the man who lusts for her, the one who tried to steal her away, the one who doesn't have the same emotional connection, is the one that saves her. It's a typical soap opera "rugged loner guy gets the girl" story arc, with superhero powers, instead of the story of undying love and loyalty that made the original Phoenix storyline so great.

So why bother even telling the story?

I understand that it's not gonna be a bunch of spaceships and galaxies and sun-eating and stuff like that, and I actually prefer that, because by grounding it in reality, and here on Earth, the story has a much better oppourtunity to have an even greater emotional impact.

But why is it so hard to keep the essence of the story that you're telling? It doesn't even keep that. It ceases to be anything even remotely close to the story it's trying to tell, it's a different story altogether. So why tell it, if you're not gonna tell the story right?

That's like me taking the story of Little Red Riding Hood, telling it to my daughter as I tuck her in at night, but totally changing the story around for my "artistic freedom" as a storyteller. Why even bother to tell her Little Red Riding Hood?

Well Nell, the reason why i keep telling you about the directors rights is simply because i feel you split hairs and select which to choose and which to slam them for.. imo it doesnt work that way.. if youre watching a film with these types of directors, you cant be on edge this way, you just gotta relax with thats tuff and see if the director made a good film for a more broader audience than comic fans. And i am also well aware of the irony of stating this on a comic fan board... which is why i try to keep these conversations to a minimum and let folks think what they want in this issue.

XCharlieX said:
Well Nell, the reason why i keep telling you about the directors rights is simply because i feel you split hairs and select which to choose and which to slam them for.. imo it doesnt work that way.. if youre watching a film with these types of directors, you cant be on edge this way, you just gotta relax with thats tuff and see if the director made a good film for a more broader audience than comic fans.

I understand about making changes for a broader audience, but if you change the story in such a way that the essence of the story you are telling is no longer there, it ceases to be the same story you are trying to tell, so why do you even try to tell it?

I just don't see how I'm the one splitting hairs when I've accepted every deviation these movies have thrown at me up to this point.

And except for the whole Cyclops bit, I will accept every deviation this movie throws at me.

I'm the LAST person to be lecturing about this... because I've probably been more accepting of these changes than 98% of the boards.

But this change is crossing the line. This isn't just adapting to help translate the film to the screen, this is a total ignorance towards the story being told, and a total injustice to about 3 characters in this movie.

To get a mental picture, take P diddys music.. he remixes lots of oldies and its marketable. You think Diana Ross fans love his remix? no, but thats not the point. Its to translate it to another audience. In a rough correlation, with film minded folks, to make the best dramatic effect some directors feel deviations from the comics storylines must be done to be presentable to the majority movie going public and to fit the cinematic vision. Its as simple as that and means no disrespect to the source.

I don't have much time there so i will just say :

I'm sure that the movie can be good in his own right , i've accepted gladly all the changes in this movies knowing full well that when you adapt a story in another medium you must change things.

But Nell perfectly said it: they have crossed the line .

You don't kill Romeo 15 minutes after the debut of the story , or you do another story.. Your story.

Godzilla2000 said:
This is exactly why we should make X3 a success:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20443

We true geeks give that b*****d Rothman the veritable geek finger by proving him wrong again that X-Men far surpasses his low estimation of the francise's appeal one more time.

Rothman = Jon Peters

No, the best way we could respond is by making X3 a failure and teach them once again that they need to respect the source material.

I watch these movies, because they are about the X-Men. The X-Men is my favorite fictional universe, period. I love these characters. When these movies have come out, I have been totally open to any changes that need to be made to make the film work.

And you honestly believe every change made so far is just so " the film will work"? What about changes that have been made because the creative team simply wanted to, I.E, black leather with color piping, Wolverine being 6'foot and handsome, Jean Grey being older, Sabertooth not being terribly intelligent, Mutant 143, etc. None of these changes were neccessary, per se, they were just changes made to the material because a writer/director wanted to. The same applies to almost any change to a source material in any movie anywhere.

But at the same time, there is still a line. When you forsake the essence of the world and the characters, they cease to be the same characters, it ceases to be the same world.

What essence have they forsaken? Jean and Cyclops still love each other. The essence of the world of the X-Men is still intact, I.E, mutants in conflict with humans.

That is the problem with killing off Cyclops, turning Wolverine into a leader, and having him be Jean's savior. Because that is such an extreme deviation, that it ceases to be the same world.

That's the point. It's not the same world. Never was. From the time Bryan Singer got ahold of this project, it has been clear that while these films take elements from the comcis, it is not the same version seen there, or the same world.

Like I said before, it's as if Aragorn gets killed off in the war, and upon his return from Mt. Doom, Frodo is made the King of Gondor for his efforts in destroying the ring and restoring peace to Middle Earth. Such a deviation, and it ceases to be the same world, and the same characters.

Then it clearly wouldn't be the same world. As the X-Men franchise clearly isn't. But then, it hasn't been since day one. Why does this seem to surprise you?

THAT'S the problem with killing off Cyclops, making Wolverine a leader, and turning him into Jean Grey's savior. Jean Grey and Scott Summers are lovers, not Jean Grey and Logan. The love between Jean Grey and Scott Summers, from my knowledge of the Phoenix storyline, is really the only thing strong enough to bring her back from the Phoenix's control, and become herself again

Yes, that is how it is in the comics. This is not the comics. And in every other version of the story I've read other than the initial Dark Phoenix Saga, it's love, period, that Jean's friends have for her, that brings her back or makes her stop. Wolverine would seem to be Jean's friend, not her lover.

Wolverine has NEVER been a leader. He is too rebellious, too wreckless, too independant to be a leader.

Yes, in the comics. This is the movies, where this version of Wolverine has shown to be mellowing, to be realizing the value of family and mentorship as the films progress. As such, it's completely in character. For movie Wolverine.

As far as Wolverine not being a leader in the comics, I've seen many stories where he takes on the role of a leader. Didn't he fight it out with Cyclops once over the X-Men's leadership status? Not that Cyclops hasn't fought everyone over that at some point...regardless, Wolverine possesses leadership qualities. He just prefers not to use them.

By turning him into a leader, and the physical embodiment of Professor Xavier's dream, he ceases to be the same Wolverine character. He is something totally different.

Just like he's been since day one in the movieverse? Again, not the comics.

I anticipate, watch, and enjoy these movies for giving me adaptations of these characters, not totally changing them around. And that is exactly what is happening in the Phoenix part of this film.

Here's the thing, though. "Change" is inherent in "adaptation's" meaning. And change is what has happened to almost every single character in this mythos since day one. (Wolverine, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Iceman, Mystique, Sabertooth, Toad, Pyro, and even Xavier and Magneto all show marked differences from their comic book counterparts. Granted, they also show a lot of similarities. But for most of them, their essence has changed somewhat. It's not just the Phoenix aspect getting this treatment...it's everything.

And to respond to your other point, this isn't even what's been set up in the previous films. Watch X-Men, and in particular, X2: X-Men United again. Wolverine is not leaning towards a leadership position in any aspect.

That's because becoming a leader is his character development in X3, not in X-MEN and X2. In X-MEN, his development involved simply working with others for his own ends (his relationship with Rogue), and in X2 his development involved working with them further, believing and becoming a part of their cause but remaining alone. X3 clearly has him assuming a leadership role based on the interactions he's had for the past two movies. It seems to be a reluctant one, but by the end of the film, he will have come full circle. He clearly possesses leadership capabilities in this franchise, and those have been seen in both X-MEN and X2.

And if you watch X2, you'll realize that Jean & Scott's connection was set up through both movies, especially X2. Jean Grey spent 2 movies rejecting Wolverine and telling him the 2 of them could never be. She spent the last part of X2, after Scott reammerged, talking about how much she loved him. Scott spent most of his time in X2 talking about how much he loved her, and would never let anything happen to her. Scott more than showed his affection for her when she sacrificed herself. And Wolverine made it clear to Scott that she chose Cyclops, NOT Wolverine. It was set up, and made clear, that Cyclops was who she was meant to be with, not Wolverine.

Exactly. Which is is why Scott will end up in love with Jean Grey (at Alkali Lake, I expect we're going to see the consummation of this romance between them and have it cemented that they do love each other.

Now, Dark Phoenix will tempt Wolverine, but that is not Jean Grey. That is Dark Phoenix. And, as Bosef has pointed out, Phoenix is essentially doing it to be cruel. To trick Wolverine into getting what she, a power hungry god, wants. Because Wolverine has wanted her thus far, he will still want her in X3: that's how a love triangle works. However, he will not GET her. As we all know, Wolverine won't end up being with Jean. Scott will. :). Assuming Jean doesn't go straight to hell for her crimes against humanity and mutantkind.

And so we have X-Men 3: The Last Stand, which has her rising from Alkali Lake, and killing Cyclops on the spot.

Pretty sure there's an emotional romantic scene that cements their relationship before that happens.

And it seems even more likely that she's already been overwhelmed with her powers, and gone a bit towards the "dark side" before she kills him, so it's not killing him that sets her off.

Ah, but the "What happened to Scott?" clip in the X-Mansion makes it pretty clear that realizing what she did does have a lot to do with her believing she has no home, no place, etc. And it does seem to set her off.

And whether it is or isn't, there are still other things that could set her off. Like Xavier, the person she looked up to like a father, and probably trusted more than anyone, the fact that he manipulated her, and basically chained her down (power-wise), and decieved her all those years.

So who says it has to be one thing? The events with Scott send her off, lost. And the event with Xavier seems to increase her anger, and her "I can't turn back" qualities.

I understand that James Marsden isn't a top bill actor like Jackman or Berry. And I understand that Marsden didn't have a lot of time considering he was filming Superman Returns. But he did get more time for X-Men 3 than originally anticipated, and definatley enough time to shoot a role bigger than him dying after 2 scenes in the movie.

As I've said before, him having a month off SUPERMAN RETURNS doesn't neccessarily mean that his scheduling allowed for him to shoot much more in regard to X3's schedule and script. You can't schedule an entire film or script around a supporting actor, especially if they aren't the lead. Marsden may have had a month to shoot, but by that time, they may have already realized there was no way to shoot the Phoenix scenes and the final battle and anything in between, given X3's schedule.

You could keep your "lead role" focus on Wolverine and Storm. Let Cyclops be unconcious and injured for part of the movie, only to head out to the final battle at the end and fulfill his role in the Phoenix Saga by being her savior, not Wolverine.

That's my point. They may have planned to shoot the final battle at a time when Marsden wasn't available to do so.

You already stated that the Phoenix Saga isn't the whole movie... and if Cyclops doesn't have a lot of time to shoot (Marsden-wise, obviously), then don't make him a major player in the cure. Make that Storm's spot, with Beast and Angel and some other supporting characters to headline that. Let Cyclops come at the end, when it's money time for the Phoenix Saga.

See above. Even though it was done in X2, I'm pretty sure if the writers/Ratner could have done that, they would have. I don't think the schedule allowed for that.

But no, such a major deviation, like this is, it ceases to be the same characters, the same world, and the same story. All of a sudden, it just becomes a soap opera with special effects.

It's not the same world. It's not the same characters. It's a near-complete re-imagining of the X-Men mythos and the X-Men's world, based on elements from the comics.

And why is it just a "soap opera" now? Not that the X-Men comics, and comics in general, have not always shared various elements with soap operas...

And in terms of Gambit, you can accept it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it's bull****.

Then it's bull****. What do you want me to tell you? I know what I can tell you when he appears in a future film: I told you so.

-Gambit was promised to us for X2... he didn't make it in. Don't believe me? I can't provide proof, but I remember reading on accurate websites (much like this, in fact I believe it was comingsoon.net or whatever) that Gambit was going to be in X2, for sure. We all know how that turned out.

ComingSoon.net was never THAT accurate.

-Numerous people involved, from Bryan Singer (who later departed) to producers, who are still on board, promised Gambit for this installment. And again, we all know how that turned out.

Yes, but do you know why? Because mid-way through X2's planning stages, FOX realized they had an enormous hit franchise on their hands. Gambit was to appear in a cameo-style role when his powers went haywire during the Dark Cerebro situation. So were several other well-known mutants. But when FOX realized X-Men could go three, four, five films, they pulled ideas for scenes involving Gambit, Beast, Angel, and a number of others. Realizing that, like Nightcrawler, these classic X-Men could be worked into the story in a much better, and much more marketable way in future films.

They use the whole "we didn't want to use him in a cameo role because he's better than that" justification, but it's utter bull****.

Why? Because you insist on seeing him? Why can't it be taken as exactly what it is...a valid reason not to shove Gambit into a cameo style role, but instead, flesh him out? The writers/FOX obviously have plans for Gambit. It's my personal belief that he's going to be Wolverine's replacement at some point. I do not know why Gambit hasn't been seen yet, other than the explanation that would appear to be most logical: Someone doesn't want to see him "thrown away".

Again, what do you want me to say? Do you want me to simply believe the writers/studio what, hate Gambit as a character and have conspired to keep him out of these films?

It's hypocritical. There's no way around it. And I am bitter about it. I've been waiting for Gambit for 6 years, and if I do get him, it's gonna end up being in some piece of **** "X-Kids" spinoff where he's fighting alongside ****ing Jones and Squidboy.

Any movie with Gambit would likely essentially be X4, and involve Storm, Beast, Angel, Rogue, Colossus and Iceman. That doesn't sound too bad to me.

"We're proud of Cyclops' role", "The fans will be happy", "There's many surprises in store for Cyclops", marketing him in his uniform...

What are they supposed to say? Yeah, he dies in the first few scenes. You're going to hate us. Not only are they not allowed to give away plot points like that, but can you imagine fan backlash? I mean, look at the few here that think it's Kinberg and Penn's "fault".

Angel in uniform, apparently he's in like 3 scenes and doesn't do ****.

I would not call having an entire arc where you go from hating what you are to learning to embrace it, and then going back to save your father, and having several flying scenes "doesn't do ****".

I love how Kinberg's responses went from "Gambit's not a major character" to "Gambit was never a part of the script"

It's entirely possible that early on, they wanted to have him as a cameo, or thought he might work as one, and then decided it wasn't a good idea. The evolving of a project changing a writer/director/studio's mind does not constitute "lying".

Sigh...

No, the reason it is an odd complaint is that some of you accept quite a bit of change about this franchise, and justify it, until it comes to the one change you just don't care for, at which point all attempts at justification (which you buy into with most aspects) become "bull****". What makes it odder is that this attitude is being adopted about a movie franchise that hasn't been THAT faithful to the comic book mythos to begin with.

These characters are a re-imagining of the X-Men mythos. While they do share similarities and elements of their comic book counterparts, this is not the Xavier of the comics. This is not the Magneto of the comics. This is not the Storm of the comics. This is not the Wolverine of the comics. Or the Cyclops of the comics. Or the Rogue of the comics. Or the Iceman of the comics. Or the Pyro of the comics. Or the Mystique of the comics. Or the Sabertooth of the comics. Or the Toad of the comics. Or the Juggernaut of the comics. Etc, etc, etc. It has been apparent that this has not been the world of the comics since X-MEN. To expect it to be so now is just...foolish. You can WANT all you want. But look at it in context: that is not how this franchise began, and that is not how it developed.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't ever mix me up for a Singer basher. I love Singer's X-Men movies. His approach towards the comics was perfect; He found a perfect blend of adaptation to fit the world into a 2 hour big screen installment, while still remaining faithful to the source material that inspired it.

There is no such thing as perfect.

What's happening here is not the same. It's telling one of the most classic tales in the fiction, but completely forsaking the major components of what makes the story; Scott & Jean, and their undying love that is the only thing that can break the control of Phoenix.

No. It's not. It's not telling the story of the Phoenix Saga. It's making up an entirely new version of Dark Phoenix and inserting that storyline into the X-Men movie mythology. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you are going to deviate from the source material in such an extreme fashion, why even tell THAT story anyways?

Real life doesn't allow for perfection. Because things happen, in many respects, that make it impossible to stick with the essence of the story. And because, whether you like it or not, the X-Men mythology is strong enough that it can withstand change, simply because it's bare essence is so compelling.

So why bother even telling the story?

Because even if you can't tell ALL the essential elements of it, there are enough powerful and interesting elements to make it worth telling. For instance, why bother to tell Ra's Al Ghul's story in Batman's mythos if you're not going to include Bruce's relationship with Talia?

Because there is still value to the elements you are using.

But why is it so hard to keep the essence of the story that you're telling?

Because James Marsden had schedule conflicts. It's really quite simple.

It doesn't even keep that. It ceases to be anything even remotely close to the story it's trying to tell, it's a different story altogether. So why tell it, if you're not gonna tell the story right?

It's not that close to the Dark Phoenix Saga to begin with. Why bother to tell the story? Again, because there is still value to the elements you ARE using. And the story you are telling still works, and may even work as well, in context.

That's like me taking the story of Little Red Riding Hood, telling it to my daughter as I tuck her in at night, but totally changing the story around for my "artistic freedom" as a storyteller. Why even bother to tell her Little Red Riding Hood?

Because the version you might tell has value. Might entertain. Might have some inherent lesson worth learning. Might be powerful.

But this change is crossing the line. This isn't just adapting to help translate the film to the screen, this is a total ignorance towards the story being told, and a total injustice to about 3 characters in this movie.

"Ignorance" implies they aren't aware of it's significance to the comic book mythology. That does not seem to be the case. What seems to be the case is that circumstances prevented them from using Cyclops in his normal role in Phoenix's storyline. And when the witch hunt stops, and people get a little less uncompromising about a project they have no control over, they will figure out what those circumstances were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"