Superman Returns After multiple trailers, I still don't like the new Supes, but I'll go see it

SpandexFan said:
I was wondering who else is with me?

Sorry, no matter how many trailers, screenshots or interviews I watch, I still can't get a feel for the new Superman. Too young, too skinny, too everything that Chris Reeve didn't have which made him the best Superman on TV or the silver screen yet. (I won't even get into the Lois Lane and Lex Luthor stuff.)

Call me a disbeliever, call me a false fan, call me a troll, whatever you want, I'm still not happy with the Bryan Singer production of my favorite superhero. I've heard horrible casting decisions before that were changed as I saw more of the finished product, and while I really dig the new Superman flying F/X, there are still too many things in the new movie that make me cringe.

I hope Singer proves me wrong.

Its funny you say that because I find that fx to be really fake looking and 3D which I hope looks alot better in the actual movie.

explode7 said:
Its funny you say that because I find that fx to be really fake looking and 3D which I hope looks alot better in the actual movie.

Truth be told, I don't think the fx will get that much better when the movie comes out.

Wow, I'm surprised to see that someone gets to keep a thread up just for their personal opinion on the movie. Don't threads like these normally get closed and the thread creator told to put their opinion on one of the pre-existing opinion threads? :confused: Not bashing anyone, just seems like if you let one person do it, you should let everyone do it, otherwise it just looks like people are getting special treatment.

It's late night most mod's are probably sleeping

I've had issues with SR all the way along. What I'm seeing thus far is giving me hope. Looking pretty good. Routh is a good choice for Superman. He'll look much better once he packs on a few pounds (especially in the pencil-neck area). The suit design is lacking, but can easily be improved in pts. 2,3 etc.
I'm much more concerned with the entirely LAME "kid" aspect to the story. Ugh! Mummy-2, Zorro-2 BAD!

GothicPowerMix1 said:
I give up asking People to try waiting before you completely judge the Film.

The only problem with that statmenet is, waaay back when, people were told to "Wait for a trailer or some dialogue before you judge the movie". Now, it's out there, and this may shock you, but there are people out there who don't like it.

Anyone who spouts "Wait for the movie to come out before you judge it" think too highly of themselves. Who are you to tell people when they can form an opinion?

DogofKrypton said:
Anyone who spouts "Wait for the movie to come out before you judge it" think too highly of themselves. Who are you to tell people when they can form an opinion?
Hey, if you want to judge an entire book by reading a few passages, then by all means, go ahead. You're the one forming an opinion based on incomplete facts. And that works both ways, positive and negative. Sure, you can get a taste of a movie from the trailers but it's not like watching the film. There have been many a time that I've seen a trailer and been completely hyped for a movie only to be disappointed because the final film was below the standard set by the trailer. Inversely, there have been films where I thought the trailer was lame but ended up loving the final product.

Me? I don't judge a book by a few pages. I don't judge a piece of art before it's completed. And I certainly don't judge a movie before seeing the final product.

skruloos said:
Hey, if you want to judge an entire book by reading a few passages, then by all means, go ahead. You're the one forming an opinion based on incomplete facts. And that works both ways, positive and negative. Sure, you can get a taste of a movie from the trailers but it's not like watching the film. There have been many a time that I've seen a trailer and been completely hyped for a movie only to be disappointed because the final film was below the standard set by the trailer. Inversely, there have been films where I thought the trailer was lame but ended up loving the final product.

Me? I don't judge a book by a few pages. I don't judge a piece of art before it's completed. And I certainly don't judge a movie before seeing the final product.

Ah yes, I was wondering who would assume something about me without comprehending what I was saying. Not a surprise who it was either. I can say I am impartial, can you, skruloos?

People CAN judge a movie by the trailer, that's what they are for. Again, who are YOU to tell people when they can form an opinion?

DogofKrypton said:
Ah yes, I was wondering who would assume something about me without comprehending what I was saying. Not a surprise who it was either. I can say I am impartial, can you, skruloos?
Yes. I can actually. I am one of the few who has neither praised nor bashed Singer or Superman Returns. I have always been arguing that people withhold judgment until they see the final product. That is neither praising it or bashing it as I have stated that if the film proves to be worthless, then I will be one of the first ones to state so.

People called my ability to be fair into question before any footage came out. They said that I would blindly praise any footage and that I would be incapable of stating criticism. Not so. As the footage has come out, I have examined each piece as a solitary piece and not in the context of the film (since doing so would be ignorant of me). As such, I have specified my displeasure with different aspects but always with the caveat that I wish to see the final product before forming a concrete opinion.

You have admittedly stated that you do not like a lot of aspects of this film. Can you truly call yourself impartial?

DogofKrypton said:
People CAN judge a movie by the trailer, that's what they are for. Again, who are YOU to tell people when they can form an opinion?
Did I not say that you CAN judge a movie by the trailer if you wanted? Of course you are free to do so. But it is an uninformed opinion based on incomplete evidence. But if you're fine with that, then go for it. I am not. I have stated the instances of why I am not because I used to do the exact same thing of basing a film on a trailer.

I prefer seeing a final product before I form an opinion on it. Hence, why I've stated that I wish to see how the kid plays out before I judge it. Which is why, despite my misgivings on the state of the CGI, I wish to see it in the context of the film before actually judging it.

skruloos said:
You have admittedly stated that you do not like a lot of aspects of this film. Can you truly call yourself impartial?

Did I not say that you CAN judge a movie by the trailer if you wanted? Of course you are free to do so. But it is an uninformed opinion based on incomplete evidence. But if you're fine with that, then go for it. I am not. I have stated the instances of why I am not because I used to do the exact same thing of basing a film on a trailer.

Ahhh, so if you do not like 100% of the film, you're not impartial? I do believe liking some, but not all and admitting so, is the DEFINITION of the word impartial? And you of all people are the furthest from impartial. You have knocked anyone who believes the movie will be less-than-stellar.

And if people want to judge a movie by the trailer it is not "uninformed". And stop doing what you always do and assume because I am defending someone's opinion, I share it.

DogofKrypton said:
Ahhh, so if you do not like 100% of the film, you're not impartial? I do believe liking some, but not all and admitting so, is the DEFINITION of the word impartial? And you of all people are the furthest from impartial. You have knocked anyone who believes the movie will be less-than-stellar.
When have I knocked people? The only things I have stated are counter-examples on why something could work out another way then the poster expects (because, really, neither of us know exacty how things would work out). So the poster has stated that outcome will be X, based on speculation and a little bit of footage. I say that outcome could also turn out to be Y but we won't really know until we see the final film.

For more concrete examples:
Hunter Rider and I have debated many times on the kid. He's stated why he hates the kid and why it won't work in the movie. I've stated that although I don't like the idea of the kid, I want to see how Singer pulls it off because if he does, it could add a really great dimension to the character. But if he doesn't pull it off, it could be the worst idea committed to film.

I've argued with many people about what it means to be a sequel. People argued that Vague History means direct sequel. I, in turn, argue that it depends really on how much SR relies on the plot points of the first two movies. Otherwise, it's just an episode and the narrative is not serialized at all. And I stated that if SR continues a plot point from the first two movies, that I would be the first to admit it was a sequel.

Also, you're definition of impartial seems to be off. Impartial would mean "free of preconcieved opinion." That fact that you state that you like some and dislike other things shows that you are not "free of preconcieved opinion".
DogofKrypton said:
And if people want to judge a movie by the trailer it is not "uninformed". And stop doing what you always do and assume because I am defending someone's opinion, I share it.
Actually it IS uninformed. You are basing it on incomplete snippets. You are forming an opinion of a MOVIE by its parts, not by its whole. That is uninformed of all the facts. If you were on a jury, it'd be the same as judging a case only by the opening arguments. That judgment would be uninformed.

While you can't judge a whole movie off a trailer it is usually a guide to whether or not the movie will hold material that appeals to you as a film fan
Right now there are many "SR will Rock" "Spacey's Lex owns" etc posts...are these anymore valid than "SR looks lame" or "Spacey's Lex looks Camp" posts ?
Both judge elements based off small clips in a trailer as opposed to the film/performance in it's totality
The question is does the person that see's the trailer and has issues with some elements still see enough other interesting aspects that they are going to actually bother seeing the whole movie ? because only then can someone give a true opinion on the Film

I don’t like the look of this new movie either.
Why is it treated like a crime not liking how this movie is shaping up?
Some of you seem to love it some of us don’t we would have preferred a different kind of Superman movie instead of the one we are getting.
I am still prepared to give the movie a chance but just because some of us don’t like what we have seen so far does not make us trolls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"