Agent Carter Agent Carter S02E08 "The Edge of Mystery" / S02E09 "A Little Song and Dance"

I thought Howard running a movie studio would have been a great opportunity to use Angie as well but I'm not disappointing in her non return since I found her passive aggressive guilt tripping attitude toward Peggy annoying and kind of creepy.

I thought Howard running a movie studio would have been a great opportunity to use Angie as well but I'm not disappointing in her non return since I found her passive aggressive guilt tripping attitude toward Peggy annoying and kind of creepy.

I might be biased because I'm apparently the one viewer who thinks that the actress is (much) better looking than Atwell. Yes, I'm shallow...but I also kind of liked the character. Heck...my favorite character from this season might be Sousa's now ex-girlfriend.

I guess I just want answers as to WHY all that stuff was happening rather than just HOW. Haha

I guess I just want answers as to WHY all that stuff was happening rather than just HOW. Haha

Because the plot required it. What Zero Matters does and why seems to shift as needed. An actual explanation would be nice, but I'm not expecting it in the final episode...but maybe Doctor Strange will explain it in a way that we can figure out the tv version of it on our own.

If they completely understood what Zero Matter and all it's properties was then they could easily control it and they can't. Whitney is trying to study it so she can harness it, hence her cross examining Wilkes and trying to re-create the experiment using the stolen rods. When that didn't give her the results or answers she wanted she experimented on Wilkes some more. Wilkes only knows he's hearing voices, being drawn to it and not can't control it. Howard meanwhile has been figuring out how to negate it, hence his gamma ray. Thompson wants everything associated with it destroyed, hence making it into a bomb.

Because the plot required it. What Zero Matters does and why seems to shift as needed. An actual explanation would be nice, but I'm not expecting it in the final episode...but maybe Doctor Strange will explain it in a way that we can figure out the tv version of it on our own.

Zero Matter is just Darkforce. Even in the comics it affects everyone differently and it has vastly different properties depending on the state it is in. It hasn't really been explained for 40 years, so I don't see why they'd suddenly do it now for the show. I also doubt Doctor Strange will even involve any Darkforce at all, as it has never been linked to him and I'm sure they have enough other dimensions and magical artifacts to use there.

Pretty good episodes. Was iffy about the whole dance sequence when I heard about it, but it wasn't too outrageous on the show. Def better than the first couple episodes this season.

I'm very interested in seeing if Jack will get a spot on the Council or not. And I do wonder how Peggy Carter will transition from missions like this to founding and running SHIELD.

Jack didn't really want the seat in the Council. That was just a lie to gain Whitney's trust.

Zero Matter is just Darkforce. Even in the comics it affects everyone differently and it has vastly different properties depending on the state it is in. It hasn't really been explained for 40 years, so I don't see why they'd suddenly do it now for the show. I also doubt Doctor Strange will even involve any Darkforce at all, as it has never been linked to him and I'm sure they have enough other dimensions and magical artifacts to use there.

Yeah, the only connection to Doctor Strange is the idea of other dimensions.

The cinematic universe generally tries to give at least some effort towards making stuff seem sciencey. But yeah...from what I gather, Darkforce seems to be the useful nothing of a term that is just a blanket excuse for whatever powers someone happens to get.

I don't know a whole lot about Dr Strange...but I've seen plenty of reports that Darkforce will play a role in the upcoming movie.

The cinematic universe generally tries to give at least some effort towards making stuff seem sciencey. But yeah...from what I gather, Darkforce seems to be the useful nothing of a term that is just a blanket excuse for whatever powers someone happens to get.

I don't know a whole lot about Dr Strange...but I've seen plenty of reports that Darkforce will play a role in the upcoming movie.

Well, there are some recurring uses of Darkforce. It's often used for portals/teleportation for example, or negating light and other energy. It has to fit with certain themes, but overall it's not very consistent.

Those reports you mention I think take one quote a bit out of context. The showrunners of AC mentioned this is their "tie-in to the 'Doctor Strange' universe ", and suddenly every other news outlet thought Darkforce was confirmed to appear in Doctor Strange and even that had always been a Doctor Strange thing. I don't think it's anything more than if the SHIELD showrunners said Maveth is their tie-in to the Guardians of the Galaxy universe. That wouldn't mean Maveth is usually associated with the GotG in any way in the comics, or that it will appear in GotG Vol. 2 as well. It would just means that the show is showing other planets and such, like you would normally expect to see in GotG.

Jarvis is right. Peggy is responsible for everything that came out of her moronic dangerous criminal choice to release and then save Dottie Underwood and now she's playing the martyr to Jarvis. She's right about some of the things she's said about him, thinking of this as an adventure but she's also been wrong about things like Dottie her using civilian Jarvis if she knew he was helping for the wrong reasons. I love Peggy but enough of everyone acting as if she can do no wrong. I hate that Jarvis is now the one apologizing to Peggy.

Agreed. I literally wanted to shout "shut the **** up Peggy" at the TV. This season has been pretty bland and off putting.

Okay, I *attempted* to see what I could decipher from Thompson's supposed file that he got on Peggy (between when he looked at it in London and when Peggy looked at it when Thompson handed it to her). If anyone else wants to weigh in/clarify/correct anything I've got here, feel free. :)

First, it looks like the right page is just a duplicate of the left page. Second, even though Thompson said June 1944 (and Cap and the Howling Commandos would have been taking down Hydra bases during that time period, which Peggy would have been helping out with), it looks like there's a March 1943 date on one of the pages. Now, I believe, the only significant thing happening in the MCU in March 1943 was Red Skull locating the Tesseract in (poor-can't-catch-a-break) Tonsberg Norway.

What's in blue is what Thompson uncovered with his little device to look beneath the redacted items. What's in green are items that were visible on the 'duplicate' page but it's not completely clear (given the view of the pages in each scene) where exactly they fit in the whole report, I *think* they go where I've put them. Naturally, sentences are not complete since the full page(s) were not shown.

March 15, 1943, Baker Team 11 moved forward to
predetermined [REDACTED]
visibility was poor. The 13 man team moved
...theless

At approximately 0910, the team
[REDACTED]
where they stopped and waited for further orders. The
were not quick in coming and when nearly two hours passed
word, the team moved to a better vantage point. As they
they were spotted by [REDACTED]
immediately returned fire and contacted Colonel Coleman to alert
him of the situation. There was no response

Counterintelligence swept the village [REDACTED]
determined that one or more civilians
[REDACTED]
Axis intelligence
any information [REDACTED]
determined that the
[[Agent M. Carter, S.O.E.]] was to raze
intelligence chief refused to
[[No civilians were spared from the massacre]]

Anyway, thought it might be interesting for those that like to look for what those types of things say

Last edited:
The years would have been different if it was Michael. Their time in the service did not overlap for obvious reasons.

That dream musical sequence would have been a great opportunity for a Steve Rogers cameo.

Nice seeing Angie again.

I might be biased because I'm apparently the one viewer who thinks that the actress is (much) better looking than Atwell. Yes, I'm shallow...but I also kind of liked the character. Heck...my favorite character from this season might be Sousa's now ex-girlfriend.

I love Lyndsey Fonseca. You're not alone.

These two episodes were very enjoyable. There was a lot of tension and excitement as the conflict went in a number of different directions, and the characters did some exciting and unpredictable things. It was also interesting to listen to the arguments among the protagonists over what should be done -- first the argument between Peggy and Jarvis, and later the one between Peggy and Jack. In both cases, I could understand both sides of the argument, because the issues they're dealing with aren't easy, and the situation is dire. Who's in the right? The answer isn't easy, and it's fun to wrestle with the competing issues.

Whitney Frost is still a highly compelling antagonist, someone who's brilliant and cunning but also flawed and disturbed. Also, I really enjoyed the musical dream sequence in Peggy's mind. I'm a fan of musicals, so I found that part fun, and I enjoyed seeing Angie again. Lyndsey Fonseca was as charming as ever.

I think they were two very good episodes. It's motoring towards the finale.

The problem is that we, the viewers are ALSO supposed to be rubber stamping her ideas. At least...I'm assuming that we aren't supposed to think that the title character is a dangerously stupid agent who keeps risking the fate of gthe entire world for her own personal reasons.

Also...the Angie character (who dreamed of being an actress) was one of the few things I liked about the first season. When I heard that this season was about Peggy relocating to Lo Angeles where Stark owned a movie studio, I expected to see Angie getting involved in more capers. Instead, between seasons 1 and 2, Peggy apparently never bothered to help Peggy get work in a Stark film, so the only time she's shown is in a song and dance number inside Peggy's imagination. Peggy is a terrible friend.

So Peggy is a bad friend for not forcing Angie to move to LA at gun point for a role in a movie she might not even be interested in? Just as a reminder to everyone wondering where Angie is when LA seems like a great setting for her: stage acting is not film acting and maybe, just maybe, Angie actually prefers the theater to the pictures. I mean, I assume the reason Angie moved to New York instead of LA in the first place is that she was interested in Broadway.

Or maybe Peggy just considered the idea of leaving Angie in a casting call with Howard Stark a terrible, horrible idea.

The problem is that we, the viewers are ALSO supposed to be rubber stamping her ideas. At least...I'm assuming that we aren't supposed to think that the title character is a dangerously stupid agent who keeps risking the fate of gthe entire world for her own personal reasons.

Also...the Angie character (who dreamed of being an actress) was one of the few things I liked about the first season. When I heard that this season was about Peggy relocating to Lo Angeles where Stark owned a movie studio, I expected to see Angie getting involved in more capers. Instead, between seasons 1 and 2, Peggy apparently never bothered to help Peggy get work in a Stark film, so the only time she's shown is in a song and dance number inside Peggy's imagination. Peggy is a terrible friend.
It's been a problem for me. Most of the bad stuff that's happened this season is Peggy's fault.

You're not the only one. I couldn't stand her last season and could only imagine how aggravating I would find her if I knew her IRL.

Both episodes were pretty good. This show improves immensely when Jack's on because, as others have noted, his scheming is entertaining and he takes no crap from Peggy. They have an odd chemistry that way.

The musical number at the beginning of episode 2 ran too long and was needless. Peggy didn't learn a thing from it that she didn't already know. They should've stopped with that bit with her brother, which was quite touching.

I'm really hoping Manfredi and Wilkes bite it in the finale since I really can't stand either one. Samberly is kinda awesome though. I love how everyone seems to instinctively loathe him.

I enjoyed the first ep a lot more than the second. The musical was just cringe-worthy and went way too long. I agree that Peggy has made some really bad calls and it is really hard from this season for me to believe she goes on to SHIELD.

The song and dance was jumping the shark.
I love the show but the novelty of post war Peggy has worn off.There are only so many versions of 1940/50s old fashioned sexist attitude stories that can be done.
Somehow or other,this show needs some kind of proper superhero from that time period.

Agent Carter wishes it had the success of jumping the shark. Fonzie jumped the shark in the fifth season of Happy Days. Agent Carter would love an additional six seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"