Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 2 "0-8-4" Discussion

Aside from the raft, which was borderline refrigerator in Indiana Jones, I really liked this episode. I don't know if I'll be tuning in every week, but I really hope it sticks around. I want to see how it continues to integrate into the Marvel Universe.

Aside from the raft, which was borderline refrigerator in Indiana Jones, I really liked this episode. I don't know if I'll be tuning in every week, but I really hope it sticks around. I want to see how it continues to integrate into the Marvel Universe.

I'd say the raft was more like...the raft in Indiana Jones (which honestly was just about as realistic as nuking the fridge. A raft isn't going to save you from falling hundreds of feet out of plane).

But overall this episode kind of had an Indy-esque feel to it, so I didn't mind.

I'd say the raft was more like...the raft in Indiana Jones (which honestly was just about as realistic as nuking the fridge. A raft isn't going to save you from falling hundreds of feet out of plane).

But overall this episode kind of had an Indy-esque feel to it, so I didn't mind.

:doh: How did I forget about the raft in Indy?! Yeah that's a better comparison.

:doh: How did I forget about the raft in Indy?! Yeah that's a better comparison.

Part of me was even wondering if it was an homage of sorts, just with all the other Indy-esque elements in this episode.

Going to jungle/foreign land, finding an "artifact" of sorts, the love interest turns on the hero, complete with an action sequence where one of the heroes is saved by something that seems like it would work if you don't think too hard about it.

Part of me was even wondering if it was an homage of sorts, just with all the other Indy-esque elements in this episode.

Going to jungle/foreign land, finding an "artifact" of sorts, the love interest turns on the hero, complete with an action sequence where one of the heroes is saved by something that seems like it would work if you don't think too hard about it.

And then the "artifact" is too dangerous to keep around so it's destroyed/hidden away. Yup, definitely felt like a homage to that type of movie.

I didn't like this episode at all. The cast is just really weak and I feel like they are dragging the quality of this show. Poor casting! I was also really bored with this episode even if this ep had a lot of action. I also didn't like Nick Fury's cameo. It just felt forced.

I found this one a little better but its still not doing much for me.

Same score as last week's: 6.

lol Yeah she was! I still like May tho. SHE's my age. :D

At the young age of 46 (but always told I look younger) I have to also throw in support for May.

I enjoyed this episode as well.

At the young age of 46 (but always told I look younger) I have to also throw in support for May.

Actually she's almost 50.

She was 31 when she played Chun Li.

The action was pretty good, but I was kinda bored until the plane takeover happened. I found myself more annoyed by Fitz and Simmons in this episode. Much of the same from them that we saw in the pilot. Using the nicknamed gadgets and making wisecracks. However, I did like Ward better in this episode and the ending with Skye was also good. Of course, the after credits scene was priceless too.

This was sort of the team building episode, but I was more interested in the pilot's story of the mystery super powers than the story of finding the artifact in this episode. Solid action scenes though.

Next week's episode looks pretty interesting.

Thought this ep was awesome. Ancient temples, gun fights, airplane set pieces and Nick Fury. Some solid adventure stuff. :up:

Thought it had good character building too.

it was a good episode.. nice followup to the first one.. hopefully they are keep the momentum going..

I thought it was brilliant. Loved coulsens past squeeze

FANTASTIC episode. It was really great to see Melinda May in action. And the old Hydra tech, the backstab, the entire plane sequence was just well done.

I knew Skye was a spy...but who is REALLY in charge of Rising Tide? And how deep will she go into this cover before it either ends up getting her killed because she ends up caring for the people she is spying on? Because let's face it...it could happen.

Definitely a better episode than the pilot. Even if they didn't throw in Marvel references, it would've been okay. I think it needs to stand on its own for a while and even have episodes where they're fighting regular terrorists like there were here. Sometimes it needs to be like other procedural shows to attract a larger audience, and it certainly shouldn't be inferior to any of these other procedurals.

Hopefully with a writer from Castle coming on board, there might be episodes like the best ones of Castle and the characterisations will be better.

Ward is still a bit bland and reminds me in some ways of Victor Webster in Mutant X. Fitz isn't that interesting either and seems to have the same function as Simmons.

I think the characters in both Castle and Hawaii Five-0 are better, and the action is also better than I've seen here in AoS so far.

The plane scenario reminded me a little of the plane episode in the very early part of Season 1 of Human Target (episode 2 I think), except that I think that episode was better in terms of action than this one. In fact, the pilot of Human Target was also better than the pilot of AoS.

....LEAD LINED fridges might keep you from radiation poisoning. Don't forget Lead was used in MANY MANY items back then.

Kevlar is a cloth that can stop a bullet...why couldn't a Raft made of the same type of material or something close not plug a hole? :)

BTW was there any significance to Coulson saying "it's all blue skies"? Was that any kind of signal to the others? Could they even hear him? And how did he know to strap himself properly if he didn't know what they were planning (to blow a hole in the plane)?

I look younger too when I'm not run ragged. lol Up to about 48, I was looking at least 20 years younger. I know if I shaved my mustach and gotee I'd look younger. :woot: and I'm 52

Last edited:
BTW was there any significance to Coulson saying "it's all blue skies"? Was that any kind of signal to the others? Could they even hear him? And how did he know to strap himself properly if he didn't know what they were planning (to blow a hole in the plane)?

I guess the same way he knew that Ward would try to get to May first? He knew the only way to open the doors, would have been to decompress the plane. Well, there was no other way than to blow a hole into it.

I'm thinking it did mean just that. I'm sure there was some intercom on, what also got me thinking about the Watch he was showing his old flame. I'm SURE he turned it on because he said it still worked.

There might've been something to the phrase, not entirely sure though. As for how he knew? He saw one of the little drones (was it Sneezy?) hovering around the 0-8-4 and so he probably figured what they were going to do.

BTW, makes me wonder if they need to make a new Sneezy because I'm pretty sure it got sucked out the hole - unless it has some type of long distance return protocol (and wasn't damaged at all)

There might've been something to the phrase, not entirely sure though. As for how he knew? He saw one of the little drones (was it Sneezy?) hovering around the 0-8-4 and so he probably figured what they were going to do.

BTW, makes me wonder if they need to make a new Sneezy because I'm pretty sure it got sucked out the hole - unless it has some type of long distance return protocol (and wasn't damaged at all)
lol wonder if each of the drones have names of the seven dwarves or if each is named after some oddity they do.

I begin to wonder: the last 084 was Mjolnir as Coulson revealed. So why did they approach this device so different? Just a small team? There was a huge SHIELD base at Mjolnir's crater, even when Coulson arrived there were at least 4 different SHIELD cars, a way bigger team than in Peru. I know the show is about this 6 people, but when you add tidbits like that one might think the would think about a certain consistency too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"