AICN Interview w/ Ioan Gruffudd ("Galactus: A No-Show?")

AnotherIoanFan

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has already been posted here somewhere....so sorry if it has and if so, mods feel free to delete away!!! :cwink: The interview was posted by Kaitlyn at Ioanonline and has Ioan revealing a couple of things about the movie...warning...spoilers ahead.... (I'll just put the F4 related bits in here....it's actually a really long interview about all Ioan's recent projects)

Capone gets Ioan Gruffudd to spill about GALACTUS and the SILVER SURFER as well as upcoming Michael Apted movie AMAZING GRACE!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here with yet another interview with a FANTASTIC FOUR cast member. A month or so ago, I had a wonderful and somewhat revealing chat with Doug Jones, who we'll see this summer as the Silver Surfer in the sequel to the mostly disappointing FANTASTIC FOUR film. His enthusiasm, combined with a pretty kick-ass teaser trailer for FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER, has actually gotten my hopes up for this follow-up effort.
In Chicago last week to talk about his latest film, the quite moving and well-acted AMAZING GRACE (opening in a limited basis on March 23) from director Michael Apted, Mr. Fantastic himself, Ioan Gruffudd (a Welsh name pronounced Yo-ahn Griffith), sat down with me for a conversation that covers most of his career, including his extended time playing Horatio Hornblower in those series of made-for-television films; his role in TITANIC; and the upcoming Jake Kasdan-directed satire THE TV SET. Oh, and he spilled a few secrets that I have yet to read anywhere else regarding the next FANTASTIC FOUR movie, including whether Galactus actually appears in it. Read on, and consider some of what he says on this subject to be SPOILERS. Ioan had just finished up a television interview, so we were shuffled off into a tiny closet of a room, where we sat down at a table that left us with about six inches between our noses, very intimate. In these close quarters, the first thing that strikes you is that he's so good looking it makes you angry. And you immediately think, "Wow, he's so attractive that I'm actually noticing how attractive he is. What's up with that?" Every woman I know was insanely jealous of me. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. Enjoy the interview.

C: Okay, I'm going to carefully broach the subject of the next FANTASTIC FOUR movie. I spoke to Doug Jones recently and he was very generous with some of the details, or at least what he was allowed to talk about. Obviously, we're tracking the film very closely. There's definitely a growing enthusiasm about the film, due in no small part to the Silver Surfer storyline. The trailer is out there now. What do you think of it?

IG: I think it's fantastic. I'm very excited about it because it takes our movie and our franchise to a whole new level. It's up there now where they're comparing the effects to those of the SPIDER-MAN movies, which is a film that is $100 million more expensive than our movie, and rightfully so, it's an awesome franchise. I think the fans will not be disappointed. It is as he arrived in the comic books. He's an ambiguous character. Is he the protagonist or evil, or just the messenger of evil? We're not quite sure.

C: In the comic books, they referred to him as the harbinger.

IG. The harbinger, that's a great word.

C: Okay, since you brought this up...well, is the tone of the film more serious because the implications of the Surfer arriving are that the world could be destroyed?

IG: Absolutely. The benefit of this film is that we don't have to set up who we are. The first movie struggled in that sense. The fans were a bit upset and thought it was a bit lame the way we set it all up, but for a wider audience we had to explain how we became superheroes.

C: Origin movies always seem to struggle with that problem.

IG: Exactly. In this movie, we start out totally embracing our super powers within the context of a normal life, as normal as you can be, because they are under the scrutiny of the paparazzi and the public. And Reed Richards, this great mind, is now more interested in his fame than his work. So we start off on this light note, and then when the Silver Surfer arrives: Bang, we're off; we're up and running. And it becomes very dark by the end.

C: I'm just going to ask: does Galactus play a role in this film?

IG: Um...his presence is felt in the movie. He doesn't physically appear, no. Galactus does have a form, doesn't he, in the comic books?

C: Actually he has a really beautifully designed costume that Jack Kirby created. It's a fairly elaborate costume actually with all sorts of machinations. When I first heard that the Silver Surfer would be in this second film and people were being a bit evasive about whether Galactus appeared, I'd assumed that the second film would set up the coming of Galactus, and that the actual confrontation with him would occur in the third film.

IG: It's more of a finite movie than the first one. It's not open-ended in that sense. But Galactus doesn't actually appear, so it does leave room for that possibility.

C: Have the relationships between the characters changed? Obviously there's a wedding.

IG: There is a wedding. That's interesting because when the Silver Surfer arrives, he sort of drives a wedge between Sue Storm and myself. She finds him mysterious and appealing, much to Reed Richards chagrin. And then there's the element of, do they want to be superheroes or not, struggling with that fact and having enough of being under the microscope, in the public eye.

C: The Fantastic Four were always unique in the Marvel world because they didn't have secret identities and they were always in the public eye. Can you really say you don't want to do it anymore, but is that possible when everybody knows who you are?

IG: That's what we're grappling with throughout the movie. There's a point in the movie where we say, let's pack it in and go live in the countryside and raise a family like normal people. And then of course they realize they've been given a gift to help people and do things for the greater good, so they get over that sort of self-indulgence pretty quickly.

C: How long did it take you to realize with this second film that you were entering the holy waters of comic book fandom with this Silver Surfer storyline. There is a cult around his character that is more substantial than a lot of the major heroes. If you thought you were under the geek microscope with the first film...

IG: Yeah, yeah. It was first foray into this world. I wasn't a comic book reader, I wasn't aware of this whole...not underworld...but this specific world that existed. And I was blown away when we went to ComicCon when we were first introduced as a cast and we didn't have anything to show the audience. They were introducing the trailer for one of the SPIDER-MAN movies, I think, and we were just being introduced by Avi Arad to this audience. There were 7,000 people in the arena, all of them wanting Jessica Alba's phone number. And they were all sort of baffled at how this British actor going to play this American icon of Mr. Fantastic. And I'm glad that subsequently many people have been very complimentary about my performance and my representing of him.
But with the new film, this is the first time ever where we've had so much scrutiny and paparazzi trying to get an image of the Silver Surfer during the filming. That's when I realized, Wow, this character is something special.

C: What are your thoughts on Doug Jones' interpretation of the Surfer? Do you remember anything specifically about his performance that struck you?

IG: The character is very, very attractive. There is that quality to him that you're never sure who he is. He can turn on a six pence; he can become incredibly angry and violent and quite vicious. And he can be quite calm and gentle. A lot of that was in Doug's voice; he's got a lovely voice. I hope they use Doug's voice in the end.

C: Even he wasn't sure when I spoke to him, whether they'd use his voice.

IG: Oh, god. I hope they do. The studio was trying to play down the whole thing. You know, the Silver Surfer isn't really him. If people got an image of Doug as the Surfer, that wasn't going to be what he looked like in the end. But Doug has created this character that we are responding to, and he does such a moving job and he's such a good actor in that costume, and I hope they use his nuances and what he presented to us. I know they're going to put the sheen on top of him. But his voice is wonderful, I don't know what they could get that would be better.

C: It seems that in many of the films he's best known for, they never use his voice. Sometimes for obvious reasons, like that his character is speaking Spanish.

IG: [laughs] Well that's fair enough.

C: I know that Dr. Doom is a part of this film as well. Is he secondary now that the Surfer is the primary focus? I haven't quite figured out what his role is in this film.

IG: It was strange when he came back, because it's not clear cut us against the Silver Surfer. Dr. Doom being Dr. Doom, he attempts to manipulate the situation to his own means and ends. It's all about the surfboard itself being the source of all the Silver Surfer's power. I probably shouldn't be giving that away.

C: I had suspected as much, where Doom would either try to get the Surfer to fight with him or at least find a way to harness his powers.

IG: That's exactly it.

:yay: Once again...sorry if this is a repeat!!!!

You say that as though it's a surprise.
Lots of people here thought we would have seen him (it?) in the movie.
I thought they were going to have a cliffhanger at the end of the movie, for the real fight between the Four with the Surfer and Galactus to happen in the third movie. I was wrong too.

Lots of people here thought we would have seen him (it?) in the movie.
I thought they were going to have a cliffhanger at the end of the movie, for the real fight between the Four with the Surfer and Galactus to happen in the third movie. I was wrong too.

Quite a few hoped to see him, but I think most figured it would simply be the presence of Galactus. Not all that surprising. It seems to me that if we were actually going to see Galactus, they would have already been playing that up much more than they have.

I love Ioan's enthusiasm and hopes that they will use Doug Jones voice etc. for the Silver Surfer! I haven't actually been able to keep up with all the threads here....do we know yet whether they are going to use his voice?

Totally not dissapointed that we won't see Galactus himself this time out. If we "feel" his presence in some ethreal form as was hinted, that's enough for me. Because quite frankly...I'm afraid such a concept would look rather "lame" as Ioan put it (love that guy) and give people something to whine about.

Keep him ambiguous...let us wonder. Besides, he'll have a bigger role in a Silver Surfer spin-off film--if there ever is one. It's all good. :up:

And I am VERY pleased with the fact that the tone is more serious now.

Also, I'm really worried about this talk that the studio doesn't want to use Doug's voice? If it's as good as everyone says it is, what accounts for the debate?

I think it's interesting that they couldn't give Dr. Doom a more menacing voice, but want to debate over this--and the actor already has the "ideal" sound naturally. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm really worried about this talk that the studio doesn't want to use Doug's voice? If it's as good as everyone says it is, what accounts for the debate?

I think it's interesting that they couldn't give Dr. Doom a more menacing voice, but want to debate over this--and the actor already has the "ideal" sound naturally. :rolleyes:
I know....it just makes no sense at all!!!!! :csad: But we are talking about Fox here aren't we!! :cwink:

Wow! Great find!

So we're not going to get a cliff-hanger, but we might have Galactus in the next film?

I think I'm more confused now than ever.:huh:

Which is probably a good thing.

Wow! Great find!

So we're not going to get a cliff-hanger, but we might have Galactus in the next film?
No Galactus in this movie or the next FF movie and no cliffhanger.
Speculations of the Big G to appear in the solo Silver Surfer movie.

Wow! Great find!

I think I'm more confused now than ever.:huh:

Which is probably a good thing.

I have a feeling that we won't be getting Galactus in the 3rd film, but they will save him for the SS spin off movie....

Which I'm ok with, at least for this movie, it was way too crowded as it was.....a simple shadow is good enough for me....

This SS, Sue, and Reed triangle is starting to spill more. I keep hearing it and frankly i'm not liking it.

This is beginning to look like X3. :(

I'm also not liking the idea of Reed choosing fame over his passion of knowledge.

Hopefully it will all play out good in the end.

This SS, Sue, and Reed triangle is starting to spill more. I keep hearing it and frankly i'm not liking it.

This is beginning to look like X3. :(

I'm also not liking the idea of Reed choosing fame over his passion of knowledge.

Hopefully it will all play out good in the end.

I can understand your concern over the triangle....

but where did you get the idea that he was choosing fame over passion of knowledge???????? they are choosing to help people, not run away and live their lives somewhere out of the limelight....

I can understand your concern over the triangle....

but where did you get the idea that he was choosing fame over passion of knowledge???????? they are choosing to help people, not run away and live their lives somewhere out of the limelight....

I think he is referring to the statement below

C: Origin movies always seem to struggle with that problem.

IG: Exactly. In this movie, we start out totally embracing our super powers within the context of a normal life, as normal as you can be, because they are under the scrutiny of the paparazzi and the public. And Reed Richards, this great mind, is now more interested in his fame than his work. So we start off on this light note, and then when the Silver Surfer arrives: Bang, we're off; we're up and running. And it becomes very dark by the end.

I think he is referring to the statement below

I didn't even notice that sentence.....well yeah, that would give you that idea wouldn't it...lol

And Reed Richards, this great mind, is now more interested in his fame than his work.

So Reed starts ignoring Sue and hanging out with Johnny... forcing Sue to turn her attentions to a silver skinned alien. Meanwhile Ben and Alicia hide in her studio making pottery.

Sure... I buy that. :whatever:

Well, let us remember peeps that Ioan is not exactly well-versed in comic lore. He may be under the impression that the surfboard is the source of Norrin's powers because Doom rides it as well. But that may just be this actor's understanding of it--not the way the film actually explains it.

However, I'm keeping my mouth shut about the "Triangle" situation--I'd said my peace on that. The "fame-driven" Reed is another concern for me--especially since the first film made it clear that Reed was a reluctant hero that didn't even want to take their powers public. Now he's eating it up?

:csad:

Let's just hope that the demands of celebritydom have kept him hostage and too busy for his scientific work and he's struggling to find a balance between the two demands. Yeah, I like that better. :)

Silver Surfer is the main attraction to FF2 for me, mostly the only attraction, well, unless there's another Alba scene with Sue in her panties and bra. :cool:

Silver Surfer is the main attraction to FF2 for me, mostly the only attraction, well, unless there's another Alba scene with Sue in her panties and bra. :cool:

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"