Alcohol vs. Marijuana: All things considered, which one is worse for you & society &

Alcohol by far is more dangerous. Alcohol can lead to home abuse, public incidents/fights, drunk driving, etc. And that's coming from a former fringe alcoholic with a DUI on record.

I've never met someone that gets violent/belligerent on weed. Weed can actually help with ADD, OCD, Anxiety, and generalized sickness. Legalize it for the mental health benefits and taxation while cutting some of the wasted money spent on drug enforcement.

Now you can't ban alcohol, look at prohibition. But hey, I'm also for legalizing prostitution :)

I'm also for legalizing prostitution :)

I could be wrong but isn't prostitution a local thing(ie say if NYC, NY or Helena, Montana, wanted to legalize prostitution, they can create local laws and nobody could stop them)

I've never met someone that gets violent/belligerent on weed.

I actually know someone that does. It's really weird, he says he gets frustrated because it makes it harder for him to think clearly and he lashes out. That's an aberration though obviously, but I think it's really funny.

I think it depends on how you use each drug. I don't think it's good to smoke a bowl nearly every night while a glass of wine or a beer is fine. If you abuse alcohol than yes it is worse than if you abuse marijuana.

I voted for marijuana only because I hate the smell. It gives me a headache.
I'm sure it has various health benefits if used appropriately, though.

As someone who drinks very rarely and on occasion, I've never had an issue with alcohol. Alcohol only becomes a problem when it's abused, of course.

Strictly medically speaking the answer is pretty obviously alcohol is more dangerous in every way, shape and form. Weed is not even in the same ballpark when it comes to the dangers associated with it that are associated with alcohol abuse. Yes, you could make the glass of wine argument but a person who is drinking a glass of wine a night is not abusing it same as the person who occasionally smokes weed. Weed is also not nearly as addictive as alcohol. If you asked me which one is worse, an alcoholic or someone who smokes weed all day every day I'd say the alcoholic as well. On average they tend to be more physically or verbally abusive. Yes, weed culture is obnoxious as all hell, but once it becomes legal and societal norms change that will go away.

pretty surprised by the poll

I'm surprised alcohol even got two votes. I'm all ears though if you want to explain why alcohol is the better of the two for any reason other than personal preference or some outdated D.A.R.E. propaganda. I mean, I get if it's a personal preference but that's not really what the poll is asking.

Edit: just saw your post above. Looked at the links and I hope you realize pretty much EVERY SINGLE harmful side effect on that list applies to alcohol as well on top of a whole host of medical problems Yes, schizophrenia is more likely to manifest from heavy pot smokers but there is absolutely no evidence that smoking actually causes schizophrenia just that it brings upon the onset of it sooner. And yeah, that list is pretty much word for word D.A.R.E. propaganda I heard back in grade school. There is NO evidence of physical addiction and most of those side effects (grouchyness, haha) are pretty mild when you look at what true alcohol withdraw does. And lol at linking depression to marijuana abuse. I think they have it backwards, depression causes the other not vice versa. In regards to the brain cell argument there was a study done only last year that proved marijuana doesn't actually kill brain cells.

Last edited:
I'm surprised alcohol even got two votes. I'm all ears though if you want to explain why alcohol is the better of the two for any reason other than personal preference or some outdated D.A.R.E. propaganda. I mean, I get if it's a personal preference but that's not really what the poll is asking.

Edit: just saw your post above. Looked at the links and I hope you realize pretty much EVERY SINGLE harmful side effect on that list applies to alcohol as well on top of a whole host of medical problems Yes, schizophrenia is more likely to manifest from heavy pot smokers but there is absolutely no evidence that smoking actually causes schizophrenia just that it brings upon the onset of it sooner. And yeah, that list is pretty much word for word D.A.R.E. propaganda I heard back in grade school. There is NO evidence of physical addiction and most of those side effects (grouchyness, haha) are pretty mild when you look at what true alcohol withdraw does. And lol at linking depression to marijuana abuse. I think they have it backwards, depression causes the other not vice versa. In regards to the brain cell argument there was a study done only last year that proved marijuana doesn't actually kill brain cells.

I actually posted those links to show how ridiculous they are. Look at the first link's long term effects for marijuana.

SHORT-TERM EFFECTS

Short-term memory problems
Severe anxiety, including fear that one is being watched or followed (paranoia)
Very strange behavior, seeing, hearing or smelling things that aren’t there, not being able to tell imagination from reality (psychosis)
Panic
Hallucinations
Loss of sense of personal identity
Lowered reaction time
Increased heart rate (risk of heart attack)
Increased risk of stroke
Problems with coordination (impairing safe driving or playing sports)
Sexual problems (for males)
Up to seven times more likely to contract sexually transmitted infections
than non-users (for females)
22,32 & 33

LONG-TERM EFFECTS
Decline in IQ (up to 8 points if prolonged use started in adolescent age)
Poor school performance and higher chance of dropping out
Impaired thinking and ability to learn and perform complex tasks
Lower life satisfaction
Addiction (about 9% of adults and 17% of people who started smoking as teens)
Potential development of opiate abuse

Relationship problems, intimate partner violence

Antisocial behavior including stealing money or lying
Financial difficulties
Increased welfare dependence
Greater chances of being unemployed or not getting good jobs
some of the ones they put there may be true but the ones I bolded? those are just like WTF - how can people believe that crap

pretty surprised by the poll

You shouldn't be. Breaking it down scientifically, marijuana has pretty much slim to zero chances of causing anyone any damage, whereas we all know what can come of alcohol abuse.

Hell, given my own experience with both I can personally say that alcohol is definitely the more addictive of the two & the only one I've experienced any (negative) side-effects from.

You shouldn't be. Breaking it down scientifically, marijuana has pretty much slim to zero chances of causing anyone any damage, whereas we all know what can come of alcohol abuse.

Hell, given my own experience with both I can personally say that alcohol is definitely the more addictive of the two & the only one I've experienced any (negative) side-effects from.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/873108?src=soc_fb_161216-pm_mscpedt_news_pharm

Results of a neuroimaging study show harmful effects of marijuana on the brain.

Using single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in marijuana users and healthy nonusers, researchers found abnormally low blood flow in multiple brain regions in marijuana users, particularly in areas known to be affected by Alzheimer's pathology, and this "reliably" distinguished marijuana users from nonusers.

"While legalization of marijuana may open pathways to new treatment applications, this study shows reduced global cerebral perfusion in the brain of almost 1000 marijuana users, particularly in the hippocampus, a brain area vital for memory and learning and also vulnerable to reduced blood flow in Alzheimer's," study investigator Cyrus Raji, MD, PhD, from University of California, Los Angeles, told Medscape Medical News.

Prior studies have suggested that the hippocampus physically shrinks with marijuana use, but none have looked at perfusion in a group this large, he noted.

"The finding that smoking pot is toxic to the brain was not a surprise," first author Daniel Amen, MD, from Amen Clinics Inc, Costa Mesa, California, told Medscape Medical News. "The thing that was surprising was the global reduction in blood flow and the decreases particularly in the right hippocampus."

The study was published online November 24 in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.

"Troubling" Effects

The findings are based on brain SPECT studies at rest and during a concentration task in 982 individuals with a diagnosis of cannabis use disorder and 92 healthy controls.

Marijuana users showed lower cerebral perfusion on average (P < .05). Discriminant analysis distinguished marijuana users from controls with correct classification of 96% and leave-one-out cross-validation of 92%.

Hippocampal perfusion in marijuana users was 13% lower on concentration scans compared with that in controls, with a large effect size (Cohen's d = 0.99 for left and 1.03 for right). "Notably," say the researchers, right hippocampal hypoperfusion on concentration SPECT was the most predictive in separating marijuana users from nonusers.

"This work suggests that marijuana use has damaging influences in the brain &#8212; particularly regions important in memory and learning and known to be affected by Alzheimer's," coinvestigator Lantie Elisabeth Jorandby, MD, from Amen Clinics, said in a statement.

"Open use of marijuana, through legalization, will reveal the wide range of marijuana's benefits and threats to human health. This study indicates troubling effects on the hippocampus that may be the harbingers of brain damage," added Dr George Perry, editor in chief of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease.

"Twenty-six states have legalized marijuana for recreational use, and quite frankly I am completely for legalization," Dr Amen added. "However, there are 10 states that have approved marijuana for dementia and that's just not smart."

"There is no literature that marijuana is helpful in Alzheimer's disease," he said. "There are animal studies that show that marijuana can help break up &#946;-amyloid plaque formation, which is thought to be one of the causes of Alzheimer's disease. From those animal studies, some people have inferred that this is good for Alzheimer's disease. The problem is that all of the amyloid drug trials are failing, so it's much more complex than that."

Last edited:
You know what's worse than cannabis' unwanted effects?

Dying.

(Alcohol kills 88,000 American every year)

I voted for both.

First, I do support a lot of medicinal marijuana related things, I've seen the research and do believe in a lot of the medicinal benefits of marijuana although I myself don't practice/use it myself. I am in the camp, as someone mentioned upthread, the odor just gives me a headache/makes me sick, that alone has made me not want to partake in, but I do see the research for medicinal aid.

With all that said, why do I vote both. With this type of question, I know someone and regardless of the substance... alcohol, marijuana, heck, even medication, or any substance, they go into an anger/rage. I mean, the police need to be called because damage is being done to the home, they are a danger to themselves and others, rage. It's really a case of, it isn't the substances in question, it's the person taking the substances.

I voted for both.

First, I do support a lot of medicinal marijuana related things, I've seen the research and do believe in a lot of the medicinal benefits of marijuana although I myself don't practice/use it myself. I am in the camp, as someone mentioned upthread, the odor just gives me a headache/makes me sick, that alone has made me not want to partake in, but I do see the research for medicinal aid.

With all that said, why do I vote both. With this type of question, I know someone and regardless of the substance... alcohol, marijuana, heck, even medication, or any substance, they go into an anger/rage. I mean, the police need to be called because damage is being done to the home, they are a danger to themselves and others, rage. It's really a case of, it isn't the substances in question, it's the person taking the substances.

I... Uh... But... If it's the... Then... I mean...

Huh?

I... Uh... But... If it's the... Then... I mean...

Huh?

I'm with you as well. I know, I know.

I think what I was trying to say is, it comes down to what I've seen in research... which I do support, VS what I've witnessed.

But if it isn't the substance but the person, and I have to say we are talking about a RARE happening since I know not a single person that goes into a rage when they use mary j... Then I don't understand your conclusion.

But if it isn't the substance but the person, and I have to say we are talking about a RARE happening since I know not a single person that goes into a rage when they use mary j... Then I don't understand your conclusion.

I get what you're saying, but for me, I think I'm letting my own feelings come into a bit, technically everything I support, and the person should be held separate, the person issue is an isolated incident, like you say rare, but I think, this person being family, my feelings let that situation be a blemish on it.

If it's all up to the person, why would you go Both rather than Neither?

Pretending they're equally bad is just silly at this point.

Cannabis doesn't kill. Cannabis doesn't cause violence like spousal and child abuse. Cannabis use doesn't result in possible sexual abuse nearly as much as alcohol.

Then you have the medicinal benefits. Cannabis treats glaucoma, diabetes, epileptic seizures, a type of cancer metastasis, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, hepatitis C, Crohn's disease, arthritis, Parkinson's, post-traumatic stress disorder, neuropathy, etc.

Booze kills 88,000 Americans every year and barely has any serious medicinal value.

No way are they equally bad for you.

The person smoking it has to have underlying brain chemistry sensitivities or it has to be smoked in unusually high doses before a person's neural development is complete for it to cause that outcome. And people who already have schizophrenia could have their condition severely worsened if they smoke it. It's unlikely to just illicit schizophrenia in someone who doesn't have an underlying predisposition to it.

Anyone trying to make it seem like marijuana is always safe or always dangerous is a moron.

Nothing is always safe. The question was which is worse for society. And I'd put my money on alcohol every day of the week. It's addictive both physically and mentally. You can die from ingesting too much. It's debilitating both physically and mentally when you're under the effects of it. It causes liver damage. It can aggravate other ailments like stomach ulcers ,high blood pressure and diabetes.

The prohibition on pot is worse than the effects of using it on our society imo.
Not only is there a considerable amount of lost revenue but it contributes to criminal organizations. It breaks up families when someone is arrested or tested for it, fails and then loses their job because they might have smoked a joint over the weekend b4 testing. It's a lose-lose situation all the way around.

and don't even get me started with tobacco.

Last edited:
mankind?

i've heard about a lot of scientists saying that marijuana is the overall less dangerous substance than alcohol. well alcohol is already legal, what sense is there in having a less dangerous drug to stay illegal? makes no sense.

there are bad things about marijuana though. kill brain cells, i heard you can get schizophrenia, smoking anything is just bad for you

and alcohol...i heard a doctor recently it's the most dangerous drug. everybody does it though so there's nothing that needs to be said about it.

so, which one is worst for

1. you
2. society
3. & mankind?

both of them are worse on us because they have alot of bad things that effects on our health
marijuana has many many bad effects on mood and not like alot of websites that said
depending on this article that speak about Marijuana Withdrawal, Symptoms
they wrote about some of those effects

Depersonalization
You may feel like you are not the same person or it seems you are going crazy.

It usually happens as a result of intense anxiety.

Plus, you may feel like you have never experienced such a thing ever before; that is due to your brain chemistry which has been left in an out-of-order state.

You might act oddly, differently and even weirdly; however, that is because of the lack which your mind is trying to fulfill any other way, yet finding it very hard.

Headaches and dizziness
Since your brain depends on something in order to gain focus and attention, then it is more likely to feel lost, ached and dizzy!

It got accustomed to taking marijuana in order to fulfill the need to be alert and concentrated.

Mood swings
Some people experience extreme changes in mood when trying to quit this drug.

You may feel okay one minute and then raging mad or being depressed the next.

Alcohol is more dangerous, but I hate marijuana with passion. The smell, pothead culture, can't say I would enjoy any of that.

Edibles, tincture, balms, vaporizers, etc... there are hundreds of non-smelly ways to ingest cannabis and they quickly become the preferred method in legalized states.

As far as disliking culture, there are alot of basic or annoying things traditional society imposes on me but I just avoid them. Which is more reasonable than expecting everyone to share my values and lifestyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"