Alien: Isolation

It does have it's long stretches where the Alien doesn't show up and all you have to deal with are... other things but when it is after you you know it and on the harder difficulties it's like you ate its baby or something as it wants you something fierce. As few other games have, it made me have to pause the game at certain parts and wait to calm down before I could keep going.

Same here, bloody awesome game.

And something I didn't notice my first time through that made the game easier my second time is that the glowing panels on the wall update the map for the area.

map.jpg

I didn't use them at all my first runthrough and got lost constantly.

Finally finished this game, I can honestly say as fan of the Alien franchise and a fan of survival horror, this game is the best modern survival horror game to date. When the game was announced, it conceptually seemed to be Outlast with a Xenomorph and while there are elements of that game clearly in Isolation, the game to me is more System Shock 2 with a Xenomorph and I mean that in the best possible way, in fact, I think this game is far better spiritual successor to SS2 than any of the Bioshock games. EA, Sega and Creative Assembly seriously need to get in bed together for System Shock 3

I haven't started playing this yet no I'm not afraid why do you ask I'm really not I just haven't gotten around to it yet stop badgering me OMG what if it hears you shut up shutupshutup!

Haha, playing horror games at night on my own with the surround system and on the film projector is terrifying. I started one of the Silent Hills and was scared ****less just walking around even before the game had got going just in anticipation of what might happen.

I recently picked up a Playstation camera only to remember I still haven't beaten this game. I'm going to have to remember to turn on the camera because I curse far too loudly when playing this!

I just finished the campaign today. Loved it. :woot: I did think the ending was too abrupt, though. Also there were some frame rate issues throughout. But, on the whole, it was a lot of tense fun. I had read before playing some gripes about the xenomorph's AI being too unpredictable, but I felt that only added to the game and made it more enjoyable. I think I'm going to go back and try it on the hardest setting soon. :funny:

Last edited:
Try Hard instead of Nightmare because I heard that was far worse than anyone expected. Hard is an amazing challenge, Nightmare is supposed to be hair tearingly difficult and sucks a lot of fun out of it.

Try Hard instead of Nightmare because I heard that was far worse than anyone expected. Hard is an amazing challenge, Nightmare is supposed to be hair tearingly difficult and sucks a lot of fun out of it.

Ah, alright. Thank you for the suggestion. :) Would much rather challenging than wanting to tear my hair out. :oldrazz:

I played on Hard my first time through and never found it to be all that difficult. I'm planning on playing on Nightmare soonish.

Did anyone play on an setting easier than Hard for their 1st playthrough? I don't want to get stuck and move on to something else.

Did anyone play on an setting easier than Hard for their 1st playthrough? I don't want to get stuck and move on to something else.

I did medium. But, unless I'm mistaken, I think you're able to change the difficulty setting while you're playing from the options menu too if it gets too hard/easy.

I did medium. But, unless I'm mistaken, I think you're able to change the difficulty setting while you're playing from the options menu too if it gets too hard/easy.
Oh right that would be useful, thanks.

I played on Hard my first time through and never found it to be all that difficult. I'm planning on playing on Nightmare soonish.

I think I made the game a lot harder on myself the first time through since I didn't understand the mechanics of how the Alien worked so I spent a lot more time scrounging for stuff and hiding when I didn't need to. I also thought that crouch walking was quieter than regular walking so I was turtling my way through the entire thing.

I'm holding off on playing this game until Project Morpheus comes out =D

Oculus Rift with this might mean heart attacks all around.

Sounds awesome!

About Nightmare mode:

1. You cannot change the difficulty while playing on Nightmare difficulty. If you find the game too hard, you will have to start a new game.
2. Scarp and materials are in very, very rare supply. You are going to have to play the game in almost a pure stealth mindset. Do not use your items unless you absolutely have to in order to survive.
3. The motion tracker always has distortion. It still helps, but it's harder to get a sense of the exact position of where your enemies are at. Your way point on the tracker is still there though, so use that to traverse the station.
4. There is NO map.
5. You will typically die on two hits on your health from human and android enemies. Try to not take any chances and do not engage. There will be times you will have to heal so save your med-kits. If I recall correctly there are only three, maybe four sections of the game where you will have to fight enemies, so save your items for these sections.
6. Do not explore too often. Search for supplies to your main objective but do not off path. The alien usually takes some time to show up in a new area to search for you, so quickly get as much done as you can.
7. Before getting the bolt gun, your best weapon combo against androids is going to be flamethrower + shotgun. Just quickly set a android on fire and head shot it with the shotgun. Typically kills androids in 1-2 shots, sometimes 3. Use stun batons only as a survival method.

I have beaten Nightmare mode and loved it. It is not easy nor for the faint of heart. This mode will teach you the new meaning of terror. Also it is required that you remain very, very patient throughout the game.

Glad to see you enjoyed the game, Snow Queen! I agree with your main gripe about the ending being abrupt and I loved the Alien A.I. If you want the best experience, play it on hard. I played it on hard on my first playthrough and it made for a truly memorable experience. The Alien is terrifying on Hard and Nightmare.

I think I made the game a lot harder on myself the first time through since I didn't understand the mechanics of how the Alien worked so I spent a lot more time scrounging for stuff and hiding when I didn't need to. I also thought that crouch walking was quieter than regular walking so I was turtling my way through the entire thing.

You're saying it's not? If so I did a whole lot of crouching for nothing.

You're saying it's not? If so I did a whole lot of crouching for nothing.

From what it seems from replaying it and watching LPs is that walking upright is the same as crouching, it makes the same amount of noise and you're faster but you have a easier chance of being seen.

'Alien: Isolation' passes 2.1 million copies sold.
Sega has just released its annual fiscal report, revealing that Alien: Isolation has surpassed 2.1 million copies sold; essentially doubling its sales since hitting the 1 million mark reported back in January. GameInformer is one of the outlets that have been reporting on Sega’s numbers, and it seems the company’s earnings have been kind of a mixed bag:

“In addition to its flagging financial performance, Sega released shipment numbers for some of its titles from last year. The company has sold 2.11 million copies of Alien: Isolation to retail.

The combined shipment numbers for the Wii U and 3DS Sonic Boom titles are 620,000. Sega attributes problems to a softening in the market and transition to mobile gaming. “Performance in the field was weak due to the harsh market environment,” the company writes.

Sega shipped 12.3 million boxed games, with 5.2 million going to Europe, 4.95 million to North America, and 2.14 million to Japan. Conversely, the company says that digital sales for mobile phones, smartphones, and PCs were strong.

Sega is in the process of reconfiguring its business to focus on those areas it deems of greater potential: smartphones and PC. The company is moving from its long-time home in San Francisco and has laid off a number of staff as it prepares to move to southern California.

With the ongoing changes happening internally, Sega will not have its own booth at E3 this year. Instead, the company tells us that it will partner up to show some of its titles at other booths.”

AI Screen Alien: Isolation Passes 2.1 Million Copies Sold

Some gaming news websites are reporting that Sega is disappointed with the overall sales numbers for Alien: Isolation and its other high-profile software, however, Alien: Isolation is still the best selling Alien game that Sega has published.

Although the company seems to be in the process of restructuring, with a renewed focus on mobile and PC gaming, Sega is likely to continue publishing core games for its international market on both consoles and PC.

Regardless of their apparent disappointment, 2.11 million copies is pretty solid for a survival-horror title, and Creative Assembly seems quite willing to pursue a sequel. Considering the high number of accolades Alien: Isolation has collected, we probably need not worry about Sega abandoning its Alien license.

Over 2 million copies sold is not a small thing. Especially if they release a sequel like it, I know I'd pre-order it.

They're treating that like a disappointment? The positive reception alone would mean the sequel would make more sales.

I'm looking forward to playing this. I switch systems with my brother, so when I have the PS4 he has the XBO, and I've been sitting on my PS4 copy of this game for a while. Even managed to buy the season pass at a discount a while ago, too. I'm happy to hear it did well, it seemed like kind of a underdog that won people over from my perspective of how it was received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"