Supergirl All About The Ratings!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I thinks that's a lot of apples and screws comparisons. NBC's super shows were uniformly terrible, its not shocking they all died. CBS ditched Supergirl at the same time they ditched all their genre shows. As for ABC, given the ratings Agent Carter got, it was kindness on their part that it even got a season 2; also, its rather shocking they gave AoS a 4th season, too.

I don't think there are any broad lessons you can draw, other than "comic books are not a panacea". You still need a good show, with "good" meaning "able to fulfill the necessary market goals" moreso than "actually quality". Gotham is terrible, but it brings butts to chairs, in numbers enough to satisfy Fox.

What seems to be happening at least more so this year than before is that the other demographic groups are playing a part in the decision making, as is L3 and L7 #'s...

L3 and L7 ratings are not relevant and never will be.

C3 and C7 are, however.

Saw a few seconds of Powerless...hated it.

See, that's what I'm talking about. The first episode wasn't very good. But it got better as it went along. But by then the people that stopped watching didn't give it any other chances

L3 and L7 ratings are not relevant and never will be.

C3 and C7 are, however.

Of course, but as far as what we get to see....that is all we have to go on....and that is as close to C3 bad C7 as we will get to make predictions.

If the L 3 and L7 ratings are doing well then it's probably safe to say that the C3 and C7 ratings are doing well also.

If the L 3 and L7 ratings are doing well then it's probably safe to say that the C3 and C7 ratings are doing well also.

Not necessarily. The C+3 ratings, when they are released, are almost always in line with the L+SD. Even shows that get a larger than normal L+3 bump aren't necessarily going to move the baseline on the C+3.

Different demographics are going to watch differently, even on a delayed basis. People watching via DVR and fast forwarding through commercials are not nearly as valuable as people watching via an On Demand service from their cable/satellite providers because those options generally don't allow fast forwarding.

The renewal decisions of all the major networks this year are looking extremely weird. EXTREMELY weird.

The trend is to shift from out-of-house to inhouse. Supergirl should be happy they're on the CW. The bar's been put higher for shows like Gotham and Lucifer.

The renewal decisions of all the major networks this year are looking extremely weird. EXTREMELY weird.

The trend is to shift from out-of-house to inhouse. Supergirl should be happy they're on the CW. The bar's been put higher for shows like Gotham and Lucifer.
This started a few years ago. You could see it starting with cable.

It makes sense, though. You can only rely on secondary revenue streams if you actually *get* the secondary revenue.

That shift isn't really anything new. If you look at the Ratings sites they have been looking at that as part of the renewal equation for awhile.

A part, but not that major a part.

A part, but not that major a part.

If it wasn't a major $$$$$ part then sites like TVbythenumbers would not make it a part of their equation for predictions just as they do with the show being a Friday, Saturday or Sunday show being at a lower need of major ratings.

The (O) on that site for instance showing that it is owned by the network, and with that the threshold for renewing is slightly lower because they can make more money getting it (the series) to syndication. That has been around forever. And it was one of the reasons that "Code Black" got renewed for a 2nd season in 2016 and "Limitless" didn't.

Does it still come down to the live ratings? Yes, and still to a large part, but the factor above has also come in to play for a long time.....as long as syndication has been around. How did "Elementary" keep getting renewed, just what I described above. And now, it is a solid Sunday for two hours on the CW starting this Sunday, and anything that comes from the advertising on it is pure $$$$ in the pocket of CBS.

Of course it's a major part, it's just not been that major a part. Which explains why every single television predictor site is having their worst track record ever this year. It's almost funny.

Of course it's a major part, it's just not been that major a part. Which explains why every single television predictor site is having their worst track record ever this year. It's almost funny.

Well, as I stated a ways up there....there are many factors coming into play these days. YES, the live ratings are what is looked at the most, but it is very evident that other things are in play other than live viewing.

Now, why NBC changed its mind on "Timeless"???? who knows. It is one of their more costly series, it is co-owned by Sony/Universal, it had "ok" ratings....though it was right with the brand new shows on NBC it was 6th overall for NBC. At this point it is very hard to tell exactly what is going on in the minds of the PTB.

I have a feeling that the studios are just having a really hard time trying to figure out the viewing habits of their Nielsen people. AND, I think the entire rating process is being looked at at the moment by all involved.

All I know out of all of this is that I'm glad Supergirl is at CW....And my other shows are doing great as well. So, as long as I'm happy....I'm good. lol

Last edited:
I have a feeling that with the craziness known as NBC....."fan frenzy" will be off the charts next year. Twitter and Tumblr should be interesting to read. :/

Timeless was uncancelled for one simple reason: the studio and producers that own the show called up NBC and offered to give them almost all of the money the show generates next season because Sony TV believes that they could turn the show into a long-term franchise down the road.

A lot of shows would be uncancelled if their producers were willing to dip into their own wallets like Sony did for Timeless.

Yeah, I heard Sony convinced NBC to keep it after making some concessions/changes. Its big problem was its price tag, so Sony made that less of a problem for NBC.

And the ratings tonight could be affected in Boston and Washington as there is a game seven of the NBA Eastern Conference Semis between the Celtics and Wizards. DC and Boston are two of the top ten markets...and the game is in Boston.

This is grest news for me because in Denver Supergirl and Lucifer are already head to head. I watch both shows and not Gotham, so next year it will be a lot easier. Lucifer at 7:00, Supergirl at 8:00.

I have a feeling that with the craziness known as NBC....."fan frenzy" will be off the charts next year. Twitter and Tumblr should be interesting to read. :/

Man, I remember when everyone was begging the Scifi Channel to pick up any cancelled genre show.

This is grest news for me because in Denver Supergirl and Lucifer are already head to head. I watch both shows and not Gotham, so next year it will be a lot easier. Lucifer at 7:00, Supergirl at 8:00.

I don't think Denver is the only place that will be impacted by that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"