Supergirl All About The Ratings!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I would think that the Nielsen ratings give an increasingly inaccurate picture of the actual viewership for these shows.

I'm in my mid-thirties, and I don't even consider watching most shows on regular tv at this point.

I think that must be pretty common.

Yeah, I would think that the Nielsen ratings give an increasingly inaccurate picture of the viewership for these shows.

I'm in my mid-thirties, and I don't even consider watching most shows on the actual tv at this point.

I think that must be pretty common.

Well, whatever they are looking at, it will only be those people with a Nielsen Box.....meaning to them it is the accurate viewership because it is what the Ads People look at for the $$$$$$$$$$$$.... there are a couple of other companies out there like Nielsen, but Nielsen is the end all that they look at, as of right now. Other things go into renewals however such as who owns the show, international etc. For instance, the lowest rated new show at CBS last season (Supergirl's first season) is the only new show from 2015 still at CBS. "Code Black" had dismal ratings compared to "Supergirl" and even fell below "Limitless" however, CBS totally owns "Code Black" and they did very well internationally. "Limitless" was not renewed and "Supergirl" was moved to the CW, "Code Black" with an abbreviated season, is still at CBS and has been renewed for another season.

Last edited:
Well, as you say, the tv advertisers look at the Nielsen ratings, so it's important for that (no one is seeing their ads online).

But in terms of the overall viewership, I don't think it's a great indication anymore.

Deals with the streaming services must be pretty important to the business model at this point, so it probably makes sense to come up with a rating that takes that sort of thing into account.

Last edited:
Yeah, the tv advertisers look at the Nielsen ratings, so it's important for that (no one is seeing their ads online).

But in terms of the overall viewership, I don't think it's a great indication anymore.

Deals with the streaming services must be pretty important to the business model at this point, so it probably makes sense to come up with a rating that takes that sort of thing into account.

Anymore? It has never shown the "actual" viewership....ever. There is no way of knowing that unless everyone had a Nielsen diary or Nielsen box.

However, and I just remembered the name of the new number they are looking at, it is the Total Audience Measurement, but the networks don't like it "right now" they don't think the technology is ready yet.....and it was supposed to be ready at Upfronts but I haven't heard if it was or not. Here is an article about it....

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/nbc...ience-measurement-linda-yaccarino-1201943342/

Anymore? It has never shown the "actual" viewership....ever.

But, in the past, when streaming wasn't a big deal, it would have been a much more accurate sample from which to extrapolate the total audience (or come close to that).

Like a poll, essentially. Instead of asking everyone the question, you ask a sample number of people and extrapolate based on that.

It still may be a fairly accurate sample for the viewership on regular tv (important for companies advertising in that format), but with the shift to online streaming, a sample like that would no longer have much value for measuring the overall audience.

In essence, using the Nielsen ratings now for total viewership would be like using an incredibly inaccurate poll that failed to take into account a major factor skewing the sample.

That can happen with regular polls also (hence why they can turn out to be very inaccurate).

Last edited:
But, in the past, when streaming wasn't a big deal, it would have been a much more accurate sample from which to extrapolate the total audience (or come close to that).

Like a poll, essentially. Instead of asking everyone the question, you ask a sample number of people and extrapolate based on that.

It still may be a fairly accurate sample for the viewership on regular tv (important for companies advertising in that format), but with the shift to online streaming, a sample like that would no longer have much value for measuring the overall audience.

In essence, using the Nielsen ratings now for total viewership would be like using an incredibly inaccurate poll that failed to take into account a major factor skewing the sample.

That can happen with regular polls also (hence why they can turn out to be very inaccurate).

That is what the Nielsen ratings do, they have a sample of the US population, and they aren't counting everyone streaming, DVRing etc...it is their Nielsen families.

Until Hulu, Netflix etc want to be more forthcoming on their numbers, this will always be skewed.....and that time has not come yet.

This has been the first real season that has baffled those like TV Grim Reaper, and the Ratings Bear, etc.....they were thrown off by many things now coming into play that they had never used before in their calculations. TV Grim Reaper still had the best statistics for cancel/renew, but even he was thrown all considerably. It is very much up in the air at the moment.....and throw in the CW and hell, who knows what they will end up renewing in the end.....Grim Reaper and others said that "The 100" had no chance in hell of being renewed. Well..................mind you all their talk scared that fan base to death, they are all over the internet trying to win every poll they can. So weird.....and waste of time, but they are doing it. hahahaha

Last edited:
So those are independent web sites trying to make predictions?

Not sure what sort of data they might looking at, but I would be surprised if that type of site has any weight with the networks funding the content. Sounds like they are mostly trying to generate clicks and attention from fans.

Anyway, yeah, the kind of fan behavior you mention can be very odd. It's like trying to influence user ratings on different review sites by spamming them.

Last edited:
So those are independent web sites trying to make predictions?

Not sure what sort of data they might looking at, but I would be surprised if that type of site has any weight with the networks funding the content. Sounds like they are mostly trying to generate clicks and attention from fans.

Anyway, yeah, the kind of fan behavior you mention can be very odd. It's like trying to influence user ratings on different review sites by spamming them.

TV by the numbers Rating Bear is one.....then the guy that use to be the ratings bear and is now TV Grim Reaper, you can follow him on Twitter, he is a hoot and he pisses many a fan off....he was pretty good with the "Supergirl" haters.... with tweets like. "To all the super-haters out there, sorry, she will be around for awhile."

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/

Supergirl rerun wins the Arrowverse this week
Supergirl 0.3/1.11 million
Flash 0.2/0.64 million
Arrow 0.2/0.63 million
LoT 0.2/0.69 million
Basically the Supergirl rerun had almost twice the viewers as the other shows this week
Not sure what it means, but interesting.

Arrow adjusted down to 0.1.

It's been a similar trend since the hiatus began. I also don't know what it means.

Yes it adjusted to 0.1/0.59 million

Oh well, at least the rest of them held. Though LoT dropped to 0.67 million. I guess that puts Supergirl even more firmly in the catbird seat.

Has the rest of the landscape changed?

If Supergirl no longer has to contend with Dancing with the Stars and new episodes of Gotham, some potential viewership may be drifting over to check in on the reruns, maybe.

That's the only simple explanation I can think of.

If Supergirl no longer has to contend with Dancing with the Stars and new episodes of Gotham, some potential viewership may be drifting over to check in on the reruns, maybe.

Very possible....next season will be interesting to see her up against "Lucifer" rather than "Gotham". Of course Monday Night Football, Dancing With The Stars, and The Voice will still be around. :cwink: She definitely has the toughest night, and held her own this last season, I don't see that changing. If Valor can do well, then that will be another increase in their Monday nights on the CW. I kind of wish we got "Life Sentence" in that 9 p.m. slot, bring over some of those "Pretty Little Liar" fans...

Going up against sports and popular "reality" type shows is tough, I think, because there is incentive to watch those things live, while you don't really lose much by streaming these genre shows later on.

A lot of people binge-watch these shows anyway.

And Gotham being in the same genre on a bigger network is challenging also.

That could plausibly explain the rerun ratings being relatively high.

Supergirl's second season was added to Netflix recently, could that be counted in the ratings? I'd imagine that that is getting a lot of hits.

I think those numbers being cited are the Nielsen ratings, which are based on regular tv only.

The other CW shows have also had their most recent seasons added to Netflix, I believe, but anyway, that wouldn't be counted as viewership in those numbers for any of the shows.

Supergirl's second season was added to Netflix recently, could that be counted in the ratings? I'd imagine that that is getting a lot of hits.

No, the Live ratings is what you are seeing on rating sites....and what we see on the ratings sites, is not what the network brass is seeing and looking at and analyzing, what we see is kind of a look into what they are looking at without seeing all the nuts and bolts of it. Later DVR numbers will be added in L+3 and L+7 meaning viewings after the live date of the episode in a 3 day interval and a 7 day interval, and always remember these are only counting Nielsen families, unless you have a Nielsen box attached to your TV, it is not counted in these ratings.

The best way for us to support this series that do not have that little attachment to our TV is to stream it from the website, buy the DVD and watch it on Netflix. :cwink: But remember none of those numbers go into the Live ratings +3 or +7 .... they haven't really come up with a viable way to count those in, but they are working on it, and don't think that networks aren't looking at those numbers and looking at their Netflix deals...they are, and probably much more this year than ever before. :yay:

This week's Supergirl episode did have to compete against The Bachelorette, American Ninja Warrior, and So You Think You Can Dance, all popular shows, and still managed a 0.3
While all Arrow, that got a 0.1, had going against it was Masterchef and reruns of The Goldbergs and Undercover boss.
And all Flash, with a 0.2, had was America's Got Talent, Downward Dog, and reruns.
So even in the summer Supergirl has tougher competition.
People liked Wonder Woman and want to see more female superheroes?

People liked Wonder Woman and want to see more female superheroes?

Could be. I was actually thinking that Wonder Woman's success could benefit Supergirl in the long run, when I originally saw the movie, just because of a ripple effect, but I wasn't thinking about reruns at that point. More about future seasons.

Well this Monday, the Supergirl rerun of "Crossfire" in New York at least gets pre-empted by Yankees baseball on WPIX channel 11. It will be seen Saturday July 1st in its 8PM slot (source Zap2It tv grid for my location).

But, and here's a secret, even though it will be seen on PIX11, it's basically a YES (Yankees Entertainment and Sports network) production. PIX carries about 23 games this season, while YES picks up the slack, and sometimes ESPN will air a game as well.

It didn't adjust down though....so that's ok.

So the Supergirl rerun that wasn't really part of the cross-over beat all the actually were the cross-over reruns in total viewers. 7-17 to 19-2017

Supergirl - 0.2/0.97M
Flash - 0.2/0.78M
Arrow - 0.2/0.81M
Legends of Tomorrow - 0.2/0.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members