All-Encompassing Christopher Nolan Discussion Thread

SPOILERS

Saw Memento again. I thought the film is written in a way that you have statements from characters, there's Teddy's version and there's Leonard's version, and you don't have some final clue to find out which version is correct. So you are basically left in Leonard's confused position.

But there's one thing that don't make sense. How is it possible that Leonard cannot remember whether his wife had diabetes or not? It's something he should remember from before the brain injury. Or did his wife get diabetes after his injury? edit:...Well, that's the way to explain it, isn't it, even if Nolan did not figure it out. :D

/SPOILERS

Last edited:
A pro nolan argument.

Each of the movies Planet of the Apes (2001), Star Trek (2009), Man of Steel, and Interstellar have shots of the planet Saturn, and in each of those cases it's the entry or exit to the solar system, because for some reason the portal is there. The actual reason is that Saturn is beautiful, and it makes for a good cinematographic shot.

Of all these movies, Saturn unquestionably looks most magnificent and grandiose in Interstellar.

That HUGE shot when the ship is a little speck moving past the planet got a lot of gasps in the audience.

That HUGE shot when the ship is a little speck moving past the planet got a lot of gasps in the audience.

I was just about to mention that.
That shot, and when the entire Endurance is spinning and looks like a clock (not the docking scene) got huge reactions.

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/126834294319/christopher-nolan-filmography

tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo1_400.gif
tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo2_400.gif

tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo3_400.gif
tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo4_400.gif

tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo5_400.gif
tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo6_400.gif

tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo7_400.gif
tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo8_400.gif

tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo9_400.gif
tumblr_nt6n982UTN1rrkahjo10_400.gif

I was just about to mention that.
That shot, and when the entire Endurance is spinning and looks like a clock (not the docking scene) got huge reactions.

That was one of the best uses of music in the film as well. The minimal piano piece evoking the beauty but also the sheer emptiness of space.

Nolan's use of minimalism in the entire film was such a fascinating approach to a story depicting humanity's biggest and grandest journey, especially with there being no drums in Zimmer's score. It feels like his smallest film, actually. I think fewer people responded to it like they did his other films because the concept of "Let's use the less-is-more approach on a huge Hollywood blockbuster" was too weird.

Nolan does a very strange thing in all his movies - and I'm realizing more and more that this is why I love him, and was never able to articulate it before (maybe I still can't) - and that's that he gives you a very huge movie with really huge ideas without really showing you or telling you anything. It's like you're seeing what happens during the commercial breaks of a movie, only that's the movie and you're not allowed to see the actual movie. There's almost nothing there to work with, yet you totally get it and you're with him 100%. There's little-to-no evidence that what you're seeing is really anything... the story just kind of happens and you can't remember how you were able to understand how you got there. It's almost like he makes really expensive episodes of Seinfeld - he makes big shows about nothing... but it's something. Just some examples:

The Prestige - We have no idea how Tesla's copying machine works. We're given zero information on the science behind it, and we really can't even trust that it all means anything. Why do the copies materialize a specific number of feet away from the original? From where does the copy materialize? How are these copies conjured into existence? We can't know. It just kind of does what it does, and you either accept it or you don't. And the craziest thing is that the entire movie basically relies on this to explain Angier's obsession. We see very striking imagery of multiple dead Angiers in the water tanks, but we don't know how they got there. How did they get there? Because of Tesla's machine. How does Tesla's machine work? We have no clue.

Inception is basically the exact same concept. We have no idea how these people are able to dream together. They just can. They take some kind of sedative. They have this briefcase with some kind of machine built into it. There are these tiny strings that come out of the machine and are inserted into the dreamers' wrists like the rubber tubing for hospital IVs. That means absolutely nothing. It just happens. No explanation. Yet the ENTIRE film relies on this to work. It's a story that just kind of cancels itself out. You can't understand how this machine works, you can't really understand when you're seeing Cobb dreaming or not dreaming... Maybe the entire movie is a dream. Maybe it isn't. Maybe Mal is still alive. Maybe she isn't. There's just not enough information at all. Yet you totally get it.

There are similar questions like this scattered all throughout Interstellar, Memento, and The Dark Knight. I don't even have time to type all of it. In a nutshell, Nolan's genius is in making your imagination run wild over what's happening off-screen instead of on-screen. And I think the issue with many of his critics are that they judge his movies at the surface, based on what they've seen, at face value, instead of using their imaginations to see the movie that isn't there. You haven't really seen his movies until you're thinking about them 4 hours later. That's when you're really "viewing" them.

Inception's "overuse of exposition" (ridiculous critique in my opinion), for example, is like a professor teaching you a new lesson in class so you can study later once class is dismissed. You sit down in class and get all the information, and then when the bell rings, you sort of take the teacher's information with you and try to retain it and apply it in a setting other than class. Just my take on it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Interstellar was that minimalistic, if you want a major budgeted space film that is that, look at Mission to Mars, which failed miserably and looked very cheap.

Saw The Prestige again yesterday.

You can love Nolan, you can hate him, but he with his brother write the best scripts out there. I really watched closely to spot how the story is presented in this film and it's just mind-bogglingly clever. The switching between storylines, the use of specific ideas throughout the film, so many details that have meaning in different parts of the story... I'm really not trying to sound like a fanboy, but it's just the best... :woot:

@Rocketman: Nolan does not explain things that does not need explanation story-wise. Notice that he is very explicit when it comes to what happened. He basically tells you everything you need to know to be able to interpret the plot. But it's really irrelevant to know how dream machine works. What is important is Cobb's story, the concept of shared dreaming, not how it works... That's what I really like about Nolan's approach, he point's the focus on things that matter.

yeah nolan uses these fantastical things (teslas copy device, the dream machine) more like a plot device.. its just a setup within the story.. which makes the real story possible..

Like in Looper or Terminator, its timetravel but its really not about the timetravel. Its just used to get the characters in a specific situation.

I'm not sure Interstellar was that minimalistic, if you want a major budgeted space film that is that, look at Mission to Mars, which failed miserably and looked very cheap.

Interstellar was extravagant, but it's a different kind of extravagancy. Instead of taking us to the most awesome depths of fantasy imagination (dragons, etc) as is the norm, it took us to some of the most awesome depths of rigorous imagination (massive rotating black holes, etc).

The black hole in Interstellar has a mass of 100 million suns and a roation of 0.999. 100 million Suns would be among the most massive, but not the most massive, as they are known to reach 10 billion solar masses (100x more). WRT rotation, it's a very hard thing to measure, so we can't say for sure, but there's plenty of evidence for rotation greater than 0.90.

The Prestige - We have no idea how Tesla's copying machine works. We're given zero information on the science behind it, and we really can't even trust that it all means anything. Why do the copies materialize a specific number of feet away from the original? From where does the copy materialize? How are these copies conjured into existence? We can't know. It just kind of does what it does, and you either accept it or you don't. And the craziest thing is that the entire movie basically relies on this to explain Angier's obsession. We see very striking imagery of multiple dead Angiers in the water tanks, but we don't know how they got there. How did they get there? Because of Tesla's machine. How does Tesla's machine work? We have no clue.

Just on this, do you mean literally how they got there, or figuratively? Literally, Angier gets into the machine, when all the lights and electricity are flashing, he drops through a hidden trap door and into the tank, which slams shut and locks him in... and he drowns to death. Meanwhile, the NEW, cloned Angier who appears at the other side of the theatre, has his blind stage hands load the tank into the stage coach and he stores them.

Just got back from an LA screening of Nolan's curation of work by the Quay Bros, including his own new short film "Quay." Nolan himself was there, but only for about 5 minutes as he introduced his work.

He said he came across one of the Quay's shorts while channel surfing as a teen (when channel surfing "actually required some skill") and after seeing more of it on an animation program on BBC4, began to follow their work. He said this was "penance for ripping off the Quays." He was joking, obviously, but got a bit more serious and talked about how he wanted to give them their due for being an influence to filmmakers while being fairly unknown themselves while working all their lives.

In Absentia by the Quays was the first short, and I can see why Nolan chose this to be first. For most of it, it looks as if it's regular live-action, with only blips of the stop-motion and puppetry that the Quays are best known for. But oy, artistically, this was by far the least accessible of the bunch! It's disturbing (especially the sound, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey), random, dreamlike, barely has a plot (you start to piece things together in the last minute), and definitely not for epileptics. :funny:

Quay by Nolan came next, and is a fairly straightforward documentary. It's only 8 minutes, so he only shows you a small glimpse into how they work, and you see how tiny their studio is and how methodical their shooting process is. However, what's interesting is that he doesn't go into their artistic process at all - the following shorts are SO out there, so creative, that you wonder how the brothers manage to communicate what they want to do between each other. Maybe they use that mysterious twin telepathy ability. :oldrazz:

What's notable about "Quay," that's only evident when the credits roll, is that this is Nolan going back to his Following roots. He did basically everything aside from sound recording, as far as I could tell. Camera work and editing is all him. Including music, and the music was quite good! I love how he just up and decided he wanted to do this, go talk to some obscure British filmmakers and squeezed his camera into their cramped studio to do it. While ignoring the requests for jumping right into his next big blockbuster. :oldrazz: I just love that.

The Comb by the Quays contains more puppet work, which you appreciate more after seeing Nolan's short. This one had more of a plot, but was still very dreamlike, and in fact was about dreaming. It got a little weird, but I loved the last line!

Street of Crocodiles is what Nolan saw on the BBC program, and it definitely shows the Quay's puppetry at its best. That probably makes it the most accessible. Again, quite random and dreamlike, but felt like there was more of a story underpinning it. I also saw more of the Quay's influence on Nolan here, with their focus on texture and hyper real senses within the film.

At any rate, if anyone has a chance to see this, it's an interesting look into a type of fllmmaking that may be unfamiliar to most.

Finally watched Insomnia. Now I've seen everything Nolan.

You know what my favorite Inception scene is? The scene in the snow when Tom Hardy climbs to the back of one of the vehicles and smashes the projections head on it and knocks him down as the projection mutters "hmm?". It's just so Metal Gear! The only thing missing was a question sign on the top of his head.

My favorite of his movies is Memento. My goodness, it's just so brilliant. I've watched it many times and stands up to rewatches.

Power of Story: The Art of Film with Christopher Nolan, Colin Trevorrow, and Rachel Morrison

Fantastic talk about the importance of physical film. starts at around the 3 minute mark.

[YT]wr6NdyP4y-k[/YT]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"