BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 171

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about the Bruce at MMA fight. I don't think it's been mentioned since the initial rumor.

Im really interested in seeing how vocal and assertive superman will be. He'll certainly need to be if he's going to be leading the JL. I definitely don't want batman calling all the shots.

Im really interested in seeing how vocal and assertive superman will be. He'll certainly need to be if he's going to be leading the JL. I definitely don't want batman calling all the shots.

I want him to be all, "Don't play games with me General" the whole damn time!

As much as some people (me included sometimes) like to deride MOS, I must take a moment to give credit where credit is due. Despite the fact that the movie didn't even include much of the fully realized contrast between DP Clark and Superman, it sure was effective at showing how different Clark can act in different situations. What I liked best about it was that we never saw Clark taking a contrived approach to a Superman persona before he revealed himself. He just materialized and was this confident, but not arrogant, being that naturally and fluidly stepped into a leadership position despite his own fears and inexperience. People had no reason to trust him and yet, he presented himself as someone who could and would take control. That's not to say he was suddenly perfect and made no mistakes thereafter, but that projection of confidence was so necessary to get people to not only go along with the plan that he, Lois and Jor-el hatched, but to lay their lives down for it. That's pure superman. He may not always be the smartest, most experienced, or able to be everywhere/ do everything, but he is the guy that puts on his Supes face and pulls people together. If he's written correctly, we'll see this many more times in future films and it's the reason, IMO, that Supes is a natural leader and the best candidate to lead the JL.

It was was striking how obvious and yet finely-drawn it was when Cavill entered superman mode. Kudos to he and whomever else put forth that brainchild because it was so comic-y (in a good way). I expect his Clark persona to be equally good and can't wait to see how other heroes respond to the Supes persona.
Very well put MrsK. They did show a change in persona and voice given different contexts, especially once he got the suit. Henry pulled that off well. I do want to see him project authority as well more often than not.

I forgot about the Bruce at MMA fight. I don't think it's been mentioned since the initial rumor.

Me too. That was pretty early on as well, wasn't it? I wonder if like was rumored with the Football match if it got scrapped? Would be a great way to show how Bruce acts in the public spotlight.

Thanks for posting. I would have never had seen it otherwise. Why did they put it in the Marvel forums and not the Misc. Comic Films section?
I have no idea. Had to get blue a few votes though :) Thanks to the guys who didn't freak out in here :up:

As much as some people (me included sometimes) like to deride MOS, I must take a moment to give credit where credit is due. Despite the fact that the movie didn't even include much of the fully realized contrast between DP Clark and Superman, it sure was effective at showing how different Clark can act in different situations. What I liked best about it was that we never saw Clark taking a contrived approach to a Superman persona before he revealed himself. He just materialized and was this confident, but not arrogant, being that naturally and fluidly stepped into a leadership position despite his own fears and inexperience. People had no reason to trust him and yet, he presented himself as someone who could and would take control. That's not to say he was suddenly perfect and made no mistakes thereafter, but that projection of confidence was so necessary to get people to not only go along with the plan that he, Lois and Jor-el hatched, but to lay their lives down for it. That's pure superman. He may not always be the smartest, most experienced, or able to be everywhere/ do everything, but he is the guy that puts on his Supes face and pulls people together. If he's written correctly, we'll see this many more times in future films and it's the reason, IMO, that Supes is a natural leader and the best candidate to lead the JL.

It was was striking how obvious and yet finely-drawn it was when Cavill entered superman mode. Kudos to he and whomever else put forth that brainchild because it was so comic-y (in a good way). I expect his Clark persona to be equally good and can't wait to see how other heroes respond to the Supes persona.

It seemed in the first half of the movie Cavill was very different depending on who he was acting with. Even the way Snyder shot him, the angles he used, made his face and size completely shift. Add in the different voice inflections and it is easier to believe why many would be fooled...

I think Clark still needs more personality and I hope that was one of Terrio's priorities. It's a challenge to create a compelling one for Superman, when so frequently he can be an ideal first and a character second, but small details are important, no matter how big or epic or operatic a character arc is. What food does he like Mom to make, what are his skills, what mundane little things bother him, what is his sense of humor? Who is he, beyond his search for destiny? They give him a job at the DP and they never show him writing or even reading a newspaper. He still needs more flesh to make the guy underneath the costume and the powers interesting in his own right. It may not seem super necessary, but it goes a long way.

And it should be more emphatic in him than in Bruce, who is all about his mission and being effective. Clark is a guy who WANTS to be simple, who goes out of his way to embrace his humanity.

za1jPh5.gif

No one... (sniff) No one wants to discuss Clark and Bruce's public personalities. (runs out crying, slamming screen door)

Don't cry. I shall discuss:

I agree with you about Bruce/Clark and I would summarize public and private personas as follows:

Bruce:

Out of the trinity, he is the only one who's heroics rose out of personal tragedy, so he would realisticly be more grim behind closed doors. Like you, I envision public Bruce to be an affable (albeit a tad unfocused and indulgent) philanthropist playboy who schmoozes by day and let's loose a seething and draining rage by night. Where Bruce Wayne is unburdened (or so it would appear) and has converted his pain into good public works, Batman's pain and burden are explicit and raw as they ever were. He's an intense fellow with a militant drive to excel that cloaks himself in a fluffy, lackadaisical picture of healing when he steps out of the shadows.

Clark:

The Clark persona, while being dear to superman, is more of a retreat to him than a cloak. He is trying to hide the fact that he's superman, but only because he knows people would treat him like superman if they knew and that's missing the point of it all. He grew up human and will forever be part human no matter how grandiose his role as Earth's saviour becomes. He likes to be treated like a common man and live humbly. He likes to do good in smaller ways through journalism and take a good-natured ribbing from a co-worker. Supes is a man of simple pleasures and doesn't mind being "taken down a peg." Where superman is confident and awe-inducing, Clark is just a little bit awkward, shy and yet equally dependable. He's sort of like Marie Antoinette with her getaways from the palace in Versailles to the countryside to live more humbly and retreat temporarily from a crown either actual or perceived (minus the obliviousness to the actual sufferings of the truly humble).

Diana:

Considering that she was raised to possess heroic qualities from birth, as opposed to developing them later, I see less difference between her public and private personas than with the other two. If they give her a Diana Prince persona, I see her being a milder version of herself (similar to Clark). I don't imagine she would be as attached to this persona as Clark would be though. She was raised with the confidence, means, and battle savvy of an Amazonian princess, not with the rural American values of a couple from Kansas. I see her using the persona functionally (like an undercover situation) and when required, as opposed to a daily thing for leisure/enjoyment (Clark) or distraction from nocturnal vigilante activities (Bruce).

Last edited:
LOL I am one of those people who criticized the fighting scenes in Nolan's Batman universe.

What kind of fighting style are you hoping for?

I like Watchmen style fighting except I want Batman to look a bit cooler when he does his thing vs Night Owl.
Well anything that doesn't resemble the action scenes in Man of Steel would work for me! No but really, I think Snyder does go OTT with his style, particularly his overuse of slow-mo. In some ways he has the opposite problem of Nolan. I'd love to see a balance but I don't know if that's possible.

It would be interesting if the Princess has some interesting lessons to teach Clark and Bruce about identity.

Well anything that doesn't resemble the action scenes in Man of Steel would work for me! No but really, I think Snyder does go OTT with his style, particularly his overuse of slow-mo. In some ways he has the opposite problem of Nolan. I'd love to see a balance but I don't know if that's possible.

You... You realize there was no use of slo mo in MOS? :huh:

Dude your trolling game aint up to standard.
He didn't troll by posting the link here. That's just ignorance. I've been around the block on message boards. A poll for Supes against the avengers team should not have been made in the Marvel forum. That's about as neutral as a poll in Italy asking if people like Italian over Chinese food. :loco: The troll move was the location of that poll in the first place. Oh and Superman is now leading the poll, well for now. ;) Yeshhhhh! :hehe:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=500451

Last edited:
Well anything that doesn't resemble the action scenes in Man of Steel would work for me!

You can criticize MOS for story, pacing, Superman not saving people, not enough sex etc etc etc etc etc whatever floats your boat...

But the action scenes were PERFECT. GOD DAMN PERFECT. The fighting choreography between super beings with super speed, flight, strength.....it makes my jaw drop every time.

No CBM comes close the fighting action scenes seen in MOS.

You can criticize MOS for story, pacing, Superman not saving people, not enough sex etc etc etc etc etc whatever floats your boat...

But the action scenes were PERFECT. GOD DAMN PERFECT. The fighting choreography between super beings with super speed, flight, strength.....it makes my jaw drop every time.

No CBM comes close the fighting action scenes seen in MOS.

The Swanwick/Perry love scene was very steamy I am told, but they needed to keep the running time down so it had to be cut.

Like Krypton, INC said, Man of Steel had absolutely no slo-mo shots. In fact, there were times where s**t happened so fast that I wished there were a couple of slo-mo shots in the film. Also the fight choreography was perfect as well, for the Kryptonians. Batman is a different beast.

The Swanwick/Perry love scene was very steamy I am told, but they needed to keep the running time down so it had to be cut.

LMAO, WTF. I laughed way too much at this.

Anyway, since Lois knows Clark Kent is Superman, does anyone here think that somebody else working at the Daily Planet will know this as well? Like Perry for example? I have always been curious about this. This is a different perspective we are getting.

Last edited:
I may get shots fired at me but I think Snyder slow-mo was quite missed from MOS. It would have made for some great cinematic scenes. Superman would be seeing things at a slower speed, this is actually the perfect kind of movie for such effects. Don't shoot now! :eek:

I don't see him backing down to the government or military. I think he'll help them, but won't give his identity, details of his upbringing or become anything remotely deputized. Which should please the fans.

I think with the tone that Snyder is setting compared to the more popcorn breed of other superhero films out there, it is less likely that he will bring back the slowmo type effects he was once known for. Don't get me wrong, it would be supremely cool visually.

lol Complaining about slo mo shots in a movie that didn't feature any is odd. I told you guys that people make up complaints about Man of Steel, it's an interesting phenomenon.

I may get shots fired at me but I think Snyder slow-mo was quite missed from MOS. It would have made for some great cinematic scenes. Superman would be seeing things at a slower speed, this is actually the perfect kind of movie for such effects. Don't shoot now! :eek:

Nah I don't worry. I said something similar above. You are right!

Also, this Diana seems so modern, which is cool by me. She is seen wearing modern clothes and shades, driving a Bugatti. Clark is the only poor one of the group. Laawd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"