All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not mine, of course:

wonderwoman_of_dawn_of_justice_fanart_by_dylanliwanag-d8tba5e.jpg

That's exactly how the costume should look in the sequel.

Beautiful art, but I'm not sure about the "shoulder pads" on the cloak. But maybe it's actually exactly how it will be.

in the BvS costume, I don't think so.... it hasn't those shoulder pads.

That's exactly how the costume should look in the sequel.

I agree. That's exactly what I want it to look like, minus the shoulder pads. A little extra fabric on the skirt makes a big difference.

Very nice art (although it doesn't look much like Gadot).

That skirt's too big

The one she has right now is perfect. Short and sweet :woot:

Last edited:
Hopefully what ever difficulties the previous director had Patty was able to work out. My gut tells me the portrayal of Trevor was a sticking point.

^In what way to you think? He was too much of "the hero" and thus took focus off of Diana, or he was too much of a bumbling fool?

Michelles apparently wanted to put him as a damsel in distress...

Have you seen this?

Wonder Woman (well an elseworld) with Steve Trevor..

[YT]fOWLqnjFN64[/YT]

Michelles apparently wanted to put him as a damsel in distress...

And what's the problem? These days damsels in distress do stuff too. Trevor needs to be the modern badass male damsel in distress.

Anyway, good thing Geoff Johns changed the way he depicted WW, so there won't be a bad influence on the movie by his part.
And while he made Trevor more relevant and will likely want him to be a big part of DCCU, I hope his influence also doesn't make Trevor the dull serious militar guy he is under Johns' writting.

Last edited:
That's just it. I don't think Maclaren was going to even go the route of "Military guy out of his depth". I suspect that he was going to be a full on incompetent himbo, or at least that WB feared that he would come across as such. This might have caused lots of problems.

For one, I think it's would be difficult to attract quality talent if the part came across badly in the script (and given that Gal's a mostly unknown quantity to the audience at large, getting a name in there the audience trusts gives the film some needed credibility). Secondly, the audience would ask, what does Diana see in this guy that he should warrant any attention at all if he's such a waste of space? Say what ever you will about Lois Lane, most depictions, even in the late Silver Age/Early Bronze Age made it clear that she was a force to be reckoned with herself and you get why Clark is so enamored of her. I think that while I understand Mclaren's motivations and all, that I understand and agree more with the counter argument. Females in the audience wouldn't look too kindly on Trevor if he were so ineffectual and male audience members would be looking at him as dead weight to the story.

Now... The story should be by rights about Diana, and she should be the focus, but you can do that without emasculating Trevor I think. Like I said, he can be competent, courageous ect., but just like Lois Lane, simply be involved with forces so powerful he's out of his depth requiring his guardian "Angel" to come save the day. Let's put it this way... If he's a male Margot Kidder/Amy Adams Lois Lane then I have no problem. If he's the male Racheal Dawes or MJ from the Raimi films (or the male Iris from the CW Flash) then I would find that problematic.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm thinking about doing a piece tracing this one by Cliff Chiang. I would draw Lynda Carter on the left in her costume, and Gal on the right with her costume. What do you think? Will see if I can do this on my vacation.

Qo19sVF.jpg

EDIT:
Manip I made to trace

Last edited:
Guys, I'm thinking about doing a piece tracing this one by Cliff Chiang. I would draw Lynda Carter on the left in her costume, and Gal on the right with her costume. What do you think? Will see if I can do this on my vacation.

Qo19sVF.jpg

EDIT:
Manip I made to trace

More more! :ilv:

That's just it. I don't think Maclaren was going to even go the route of "Military guy out of his depth". I suspect that he was going to be a full on incompetent himbo, or at least that WB feared that he would come across as such. This might have caused lots of problems.

For one, I think it's would be difficult to attract quality talent if the part came across badly in the script (and given that Gal's a mostly unknown quantity to the audience at large, getting a name in there the audience trusts gives the film some needed credibility). Secondly, the audience would ask, what does Diana see in this guy that he should warrant any attention at all if he's such a waste of space? Say what ever you will about Lois Lane, most depictions, even in the late Silver Age/Early Bronze Age made it clear that she was a force to be reckoned with herself and you get why Clark is so enamored of her. I think that while I understand Mclaren's motivations and all, that I understand and agree more with the counter argument. Females in the audience wouldn't look too kindly on Trevor if he were so ineffectual and male audience members would be looking at him as dead weight to the story.

Now... The story should be by rights about Diana, and she should be the focus, but you can do that without emasculating Trevor I think. Like I said, he can be competent, courageous ect., but just like Lois Lane, simply be involved with forces so powerful he's out of his depth requiring his guardian "Angel" to come save the day. Let's put it this way... If he's a male Margot Kidder/Amy Adams Lois Lane then I have no problem. If he's the male Racheal Dawes or MJ from the Raimi films (or the male Iris from the CW Flash) then I would find that problematic.

I hate to see any character, male or female, fall victim to the "boring/useless love interest" role. If they're going to use a charismatic actor like Pine, they should put that on display. Like you mentioned, Gal isn't a box office draw, so they're going to need his popularity to market this movie. That doesn't mean he needs to overshadow her, he just needs a bit of badassery and charisma. Showing each of them helping the other at different points in the movie will help make sure neither comes off as the weak one as well. I thought MOS did a decent job with that.

I hate to see any character, male or female, fall victim to the "boring/useless love interest" role. If they're going to use a charismatic actor like Pine, they should put that on display. Like you mentioned, Gal isn't a box office draw, so they're going to need his popularity to market this movie. That doesn't mean he needs to overshadow her, he just needs a bit of badassery and charisma. Showing each of them helping the other at different points in the movie will help make sure neither comes off as the weak one as well. I thought MOS did a decent job with that.

Yeah, there's no need to overcompensate with Trevor, but there's also no need to make him at best perfunctory as well. I suspect, I don't know but I suspect, that Mclaren wanted to have Trevor be like Raimi's MJ, as a sort of turn about is fair play, in regards to tropes in action films. I get the impulse, but think that WB wants a wide appeal film, and Trevor coming off badly could have turned off a big section of the audience, male and female.

Yeah, there's no need to overcompensate with Trevor, but there's also no need to make him at best perfunctory as well. I suspect, I don't know but I suspect, that Mclaren wanted to have Trevor be like Raimi's MJ, as a sort of turn about is fair play, in regards to tropes in action films. I get the impulse, but think that WB wants a wide appeal film, and Trevor coming off badly could have turned off a big section of the audience, male and female.

If that was her plan, I don't like it. Making male characters into useless damsels isn't the way to bring equality to the genre. The way to do that is to keep making awesome male characters, but make the females awesome as well. Raising the females to the level of most male characters makes more sense than sinking the males to Raimi MJ level. Coincidently, that's also the best way to make money. Damsel characters are grating, no matter what sex they are and alienating either sex limits the market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"