All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Thread Manager, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Micromind New World New Rules

Not bad at all. :)

2. Wonder89 Registered

3. NotNickFury Registered

Brought in some solid ratings for its premiere on HBO. Though I love how they try to downplay that San Andreas brought in a bit more, even if it was just 11,000- saying it's statistically insignificant. Wouldn't even need to mention the difference, would you? Just that San Andreas still has the top with 2.820 million to Wonder Woman's 2.809.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/wonder-woman-did-blockbuster-ratings-with-its-tv-premiere.html

4. Wonder89 Registered

5. Dave McFly Moving right along

been re listening to the soundtrack love No Mans Land and Wonder Woman's Wrath

6. kingcharmingman Registered

I like listening to God of War,
    I think it was epic.

7. UncleSam1776 Registered

8. Micromind New World New Rules

9. Willi Berg On The Run

Watched the movie again this week. Still really enjoyed it. From training on Themyscira to battling Ares. Still so impressed.

And seeing the Amazons in the JL movie was pretty awesome as well.

10. Wonder89 Registered

11. kingcharmingman Registered

I have watched WW for many times, still liking it.
    Its too bad i have to wait 2 years for another film, at most 3 films of standalone WW.

12. Wonder89 Registered

Wonder Woman was released one year ago today.
    What a movie!

13. kingcharmingman Registered

14. Dr. From parts unknown

This is a bit of geeky/historical trivia on a misattributed quote in Wonder Woman. I wrote it for another forum; but on this 100th anniversary of the WWI armistice, I thought I’d repost it here. ;nd

Ludendorff: “Peace is only an armistice in an endless war.”
    Diana: Thucydides.
    Ludendorff: You know your Ancient Greeks.

During a recent re-watch of Wonder Woman, the above quote piqued my curiosity. So I decided to do some cursory Interwebz research. First, Thucydides: 460 to 400 BC; historian and military general; and most famous as the author of History of the Peloponnesian War. Second, the quote: Several authorities (?) seem to agree it’s the sort of thing Thucydides would have said - as it’s quite consistent with his overall writings and philosophy. But there’s also consensus that he didn’t actually say it.

So the WW writers just made it up? Well, no - not necessarily… A history prof, blogging about the WW error, linked to a prior post wherein he discussed the misattributed Thucydides quote (which, from now on, I’ll call the “TQ”). Said post was written in 2015. So for some reason, the TQ was already in the ether - before WW’s release. Someone else mentioned that the TQ was referenced in the game Call of Duty 2 (2005). And apparently, the TQ was one of several quotes on a 1988 mural at the West Point Military Academy. (The quotes were allegedly provided by West Point’s history department; but where these historians sourced their TQ is unknown.)

Additionally, variations of the quote go back even further; but these are credited to (among others) Napoleon and Plato. So it’s possible that the WW writers did a quick internet search, found all these citations and decided that the Thucydides one was most apropos for their story (even if it was suspect).

Now as fans, we’re entitled to engage in a bit of fanwankery. Thus, we might speculate that Diana was privy to certain “lost writings” of Thucydides. But that wouldn’t explain how Ludendorff knew of the quote..

On the other hand... It’s possible that Ludendorff was - “meta-textually” - quoting himself. :wow: One source claims that the actual quote comes from an obscure memoir (‘Der Totale Kreg’) that Ludendorff wrote in 1935. (The real Erich Ludendorff lived twenty years longer than his fictional counterpart.) It’s further claimed that the WW writers (in the course of their research) were aware of this quote, quite liked it - but decided that crediting it to a figure like Thucydides (as opposed to the future Ludendorff :o) was the easier cheat.

Of course, where the original Thucydides attribution came from - as invoked by such disparate sources as Call of Duty and West Point, and which predates WW - remains a mystery...

haephestus likes this.
  15. Kevin Hall Registered

Hello everyone. I’m hoping someone can help. I’m looking for a wedding gift for the fiancé and I know it’s hard to
    Find but any help
    Would be welcome. It is a lamp from 1977. See
    The attached picture.

Thanks for any help?

3DC70A95-19AD-4B4A-8415-6558ADA6B57E.jpeg

16. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Im watching WW again and the Themiscrya scenes are just EVERYTHING. I reallly hope WW goes beyond a 3rd film so we can have one that is set primarily on the island.

17. Boom I got nothin'

Dude, after all these delays we earned a Cheetah reveal.

pixen likes this.