All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Thread Manager, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willi Berg On The Run

I don't know...WW is dealing with current threats in the JL movie and possibly again in JL2. WB may be satisfied with that modern storyline for her in those movies for now.

These DCEU movies look to keep jumping around time periods. The Batman movies have a lot to explain with Robin/Nightwing, Batgirl, the villains etc. Flash and Aquaman (and Cyborg) look to have a lot of origin material.

I would want WW in the modern day but that could be something they're building up to, say, in a trilogy. They may want WW to be a figure prominent throughout history in her movies.

BTW:

This is what WB Chief Toby Emmerich said last month in Variety:

:oldrazz: Big help!

2. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Whenever it's set, just make sure to skew more towards the mythological side as Patty really seems to excel at crafting that.

3. jaymes_e06 Registered

Charlize Theron on the success of Wonder Woman: “We’ve had moments like this, where women really showcase themselves and kind of break glass ceilings. And then we don’t sustain it. Or there’s one movie that doesn’t do well, and all of a sudden, no one wants to make a female-driven film….And look, I am ashamed that I’m part of an industry that has never allowed a woman to work with a budget higher than what the budget has been on ‘Wonder Woman.’ That’s so f—ing caveman-like. I am always hoping that this is the movie that’s going to change it and keep it for us.”

Can we get her as Cheetah or Circe?

#953 jaymes_e06, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  4. Willi Berg On The Run

Very true what she says. That it might not be sustained or if there's one flop after this then all female-led movies suffer.

5. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

That's not how it works.
    Hollywood has been pushing ladies in major franchises for a while now.

Just...lay off having to reboot with an all female cast...

6. Willi Berg On The Run

Well, I don't think Theron means something superficial like a reboot with an all-female cast like Ghostbusters. But female writers, directors, actors...where women are major players in all aspects of Hollywood.

7. Flemm Registered

She also references the question of women directing the films, which is a bit different.

For example, people talk about The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Beauty and the Beast, and the Hunger Games also having female leads, which they do, of course, but they have male directors.

Wonder Woman has both, which is more unusual. Those comments seem to suggest that WW has one of the highest budgets of any Hollywood movie directed by a woman. I think Kung Fu Panda 2 had a similar budget, which was the highest grossing movie directed by a woman previously, according to recent news on the topic anyway (I haven't verified it other than simply following news stories about this movie).

8. whenforeverisnt Registered

Not only that, but Hollywood has a reputation of taking successful franchise films that began with a female director and when it became successful they replace her with a man. (twilight, 50 shades of grey)

9. DlAMONDZ Registered

This is interesting because just days before Patty told THR the complete opposite

This could explain why Patty hasn't officially signed on to direct the sequel :ninja:

10. Willi Berg On The Run

It's actually all quite vague. In the THR article there's no quote from Patty about WW's time setting. It just says:

But then there's this interview with Patty from UpRoxx:

This article thinks it could be a mixture of both, especially since the script is still in flux:

There's Some Confusion As To When A Wonder Woman Sequel Would Be Set

11. DlAMONDZ Registered

Hollywood is ****ed up

12. Wanda Detroit Registered

I'm pretty sure I read an article where Patty said directly that she wants to bring WW into current times to be the modern hero we all know(paraphrasing of course).

There are ways for the movie to be in the present and use flashbacks to parallel both what is happening in the present and what happened in the past. Maybe that is why it seems she is saying different things because they both may be true.

13. Willi Berg On The Run

I remember reading something like that recently. But it was more the writer interpreting Patty's words that way. Not Patty's words directly. If I find it again I will post it here.

14. Willi Berg On The Run

I found the article. These are Patty's words:

She could've just meant WW being relevant and modern again in our world because of her renewed popularity with the movie. But the article writer thinks it is about the sequel. Again, this is an interpretation and not directly said by Patty.

www.advocate.com/film/2017/6/29/breaking-patty-jenkins-confirms-shes-directing-wonder-woman-sequel

But, we've had her in modern times in the first WW movie and the flashbacks were the bulk of the movie. We can't know right now just how much will be modern and how much will be flashbacks. It could very well be a mixture or a parallel story.

15. dhandler01 Half breed!

Right but logic pretty much shoots all of it out of the water. If Steve Trevor is somehow in it and it takes place in the 80s that pretty much destroys the entire point to the first movie. The impact of his death on her (and her remembering thanks to the picture) is completely lost.

Anything is possible but I would bet the farm screenrant has this one completely wrong. If WB had a script in place the announcements would have been made already because of WW's run.

16. Willi Berg On The Run

Being set in the 80s during the Cold War and Chris Pine returning are two separate things. The Wrap says that that Diana will face off against the Soviet Union in the 80s, and that WB still has an option for Chris Pine (I remember that he signed a multi-picture deal.) Whether they end up using him is another matter.

These early rumours have gotten some stuff wrong and some stuff right (e.g. sites were right about Ares but wrong about Circe.) So even if Chris Pine isn't returning I think there is still a chance that it may be set during the Cold War.

No one said anything about a script already being in place. These are early days and this could just be early talks about what the setup/setting will be, as Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns work on the script. There don't have to be announcements about anything. Johns already said he and Patty were working on the script. I believe the only announcement to expect in the near future is Jenkins returning to direct. Things are constantly changing during the script stage.

17. Micromind New World New Rules

At this stage they will be throwing around different ideas for the story, each going in a different direction. For WW, they had six writers writing the script treatments, the one written by Jason Fuschs was chosen and got further development.

I expect them to follow a similar procedure, nothing is set in stone right now.

18. Willi Berg On The Run

I don't think it will go so far as something like six writers this time around. I think it will be more in the hands of Johns and Jenkins. There would be more faith in Jenkins now. Still, there could be different scenarios being discussed.

What we need is some official debunking. It's fun to speculate, though. To an extent.

19. Wanda Detroit Registered

This is not the article I was talking about. It was earlier than this and it wasn't from the advocate.

20. Willi Berg On The Run

[​IMG]

21. Wanda Detroit Registered

I'm not making it up. I've read many articles with Patty being interviewed. I think it was collider or something like that.

22. Willi Berg On The Run

[​IMG]

23. Wanda Detroit Registered

24. Willi Berg On The Run

[​IMG]

Well then don't bring up articles in your arguments if you can't remember them.

We discussed the America setting. It doesn't answer the question or prove your point.

25. Willi Berg On The Run

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.