Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I know the feeling. I’m not a fan of tie ins at all. Absolutely hate them. Loved this issue though. Wait a second....You’re not reading Absolute Carnage?!?!?!?! Lol you’re missing out. Pick it up. It’s a fun ride. Pretty much a more well written darker version of Maximum Carnage. I was going to pass it up as well but Gates has added so much life and personality to Eddie/Venom and the rest of the symbiotes. It’s a really addictive fast paced read.
Haha, I didn't even read MAXIMUM CARNAGE. I see you guys raving about ABSOLUTE, though. I know it's crazy but I'm not the biggest symbiote fan. I don't not enjoy it. But I just don't think I've read the better stories of him with it to hook me in. Not the biggest Venom fan at all. I do prefer Carnage over him but again, haven't read a killer Carnage story yet. If this is what you're suggesting, I might pick it up when it compiles in a trade!

To answer the spoiler question...yes I do believe they're happening at the same time.
Then what does that mean?! Haha. Some clonage?

Haha, I didn't even read MAXIMUM CARNAGE. I see you guys raving about ABSOLUTE, though. I know it's crazy but I'm not the biggest symbiote fan. I don't not enjoy it. But I just don't think I've read the better stories of him with it to hook me in. Not the biggest Venom fan at all. I do prefer Carnage over him but again, haven't read a killer Carnage story yet. If this is what you're suggesting, I might pick it up when it compiles in a trade!

Then what does that mean?! Haha. Some clonage?

No time for trades. Get it now! Lol. Honestly I’m not big on symbiotes either. Got quite exhausted with the over saturation of them everywhere you turned at one point. Absolute Carnage is symbiotes done right though.

As far as the events fitting into a timeline go. I was under the impression that Kindred and Norman talking take place before Absolute Carnage. The other sequences through out the book take place in the present after Absolute Carnage #3.

There's a lot of symbiote stories I enjoy purely 'cause they're dumb fun, but Absolute Carnage is not the case so far. It's gotta be the best use of Carnage in a while, making it feel like something truly terrifying like he's a horror movie monster whenever he arrives. Even when he's not around, the creepy damage he's leaving in his wake is super spooky stuff. The atmosphere is heavy and something you don't usually see, perfect marriage between the writing and art to make something really exciting to follow. Also, from the current run Eddie Brock has been given a lot more exploration which is definitely appreciated.

No time for trades. Get it now! Lol. Honestly I’m not big on symbiotes either. Got quite exhausted with the over saturation of them everywhere you turned at one point. Absolute Carnage is symbiotes done right though.

As far as the events fitting into a timeline go. I was under the impression that Kindred and Norman talking take place before Absolute Carnage. The other sequences through out the book take place in the present after Absolute Carnage #3.

There's a lot of symbiote stories I enjoy purely 'cause they're dumb fun, but Absolute Carnage is not the case so far. It's gotta be the best use of Carnage in a while, making it feel like something truly terrifying like he's a horror movie monster whenever he arrives. Even when he's not around, the creepy damage he's leaving in his wake is super spooky stuff. The atmosphere is heavy and something you don't usually see, perfect marriage between the writing and art to make something really exciting to follow. Also, from the current run Eddie Brock has been given a lot more exploration which is definitely appreciated.
Ah man. You guys might've sold me on it. I'll look out for it next time I'm in the shop. Hopefully AC isn't too far out.

Ah man. You guys might've sold me on it. I'll look out for it next time I'm in the shop. Hopefully AC isn't too far out.

Dude, I'm a HUGE Venom fan when he's done right, and I despise Carnage like, 99% of the time. This story has them both done better than they've been done since the first Carnage arc back in ASM 361-363....which was the only Carnage story I've ever enjoyed...until now.

Also, Stegman's art is awesome. New age Mcfarlane level stuff. I can't praise it any better than that. ALSO, Spider-Man has been written in character the whole time. Donny Cates said he isn't leaving Marvel until he gets a run on Spider-Man. This book will sell you on that prospect, no doubt! If Cates and Stegman take over Spidey after Spencer splits, I will be a happy old man. Not that I want Spencer to leave any time soon...just that if he HAS to leave, let this team take over. Then make ASM a ONCE A MONTH book with a CONSISTENT creative team. Just a thought. Then save the variant covers for actual special occasions.

Dude, I'm a HUGE Venom fan when he's done right, and I despise Carnage like, 99% of the time. This story has them both done better than they've been done since the first Carnage arc back in ASM 361-363....which was the only Carnage story I've ever enjoyed...until now.

Also, Stegman's art is awesome. New age Mcfarlane level stuff. I can't praise it any better than that. ALSO, Spider-Man has been written in character the whole time. Donny Cates said he isn't leaving Marvel until he gets a run on Spider-Man. This book will sell you on that prospect, no doubt! If Cates and Stegman take over Spidey after Spencer splits, I will be a happy old man. Not that I want Spencer to leave any time soon...just that if he HAS to leave, let this team take over. Then make ASM a ONCE A MONTH book with a CONSISTENT creative team. Just a thought. Then save the variant covers for actual special occasions.
Hah, thanks for the rec, man! Dude I love Stegman. Always have. The only good thing to come out of SUPERIOR lol. Nice and funny guy on Twitter, too. I'm not the BIGGEST Ottley fan, but if Stegman can hop on ASM...him and Spencer would make a killer combo.

And I actually don't mind that ASM has been twice a month even with different pencillers. Just keep Ramos and Bachalo out of it lmao.

Hah, thanks for the rec, man! Dude I love Stegman. Always have. The only good thing to come out of SUPERIOR lol. Nice and funny guy on Twitter, too. I'm not the BIGGEST Ottley fan, but if Stegman can hop on ASM...him and Spencer would make a killer combo.

And I actually don't mind that ASM has been twice a month even with different pencillers. Just keep Ramos and Bachalo out of it lmao.

Well, it's like in the BND era, they alternated between McNiven, McKone, and Jiminez...that was a pretty stellar artistic line-up! If they were rotating out now, that would be fine...but we have such a bizarre mix of artists. There's no consistency.

I'm confused lol
Kindred talking to Norman did happen in the past. It happened immediately after issue 24 and before 25. Kindred killed "Mysterio" and showed Peter the whole thing in his dreams and than told him his name was "Kindred." After he cut the connection with Peter's dreams he took a stroll down the halls of Ravencroft to visit and taunt Norman too. This was two weeks before the evens that are currently happening.

Kindred talking to Norman did happen in the past. It happened immediately after issue 24 and before 25. Kindred killed "Mysterio" and showed Peter the whole thing in his dreams and than told him his name was "Kindred." After he cut the connection with Peter's dreams he took a stroll down the halls of Ravencroft to visit and taunt Norman too. This was two weeks before the evens that are currently happening.
Thanks for the clarification! I guess I really do need to catch up on ABSOLUTE CARNAGE. Sometimes tie-ins can be tricky..

Ok so let’s get this started. ASM 31 solid issue. Not great but solid. Have a few things to complain about and let my whining commence.....

Not a fan of the Spider-Man “besting” Carnage/Norman like that. Seemed a little too simple. There’s a time and place for the hero digging deep to win. It just didn’t seem logically possible with Norman wearing the symbiote here.

I’m losing a bit of interest with the Kindred angle because I’m getting the feeling that it’s not going to have any deep OMD connections or anything of the sort. I’m still not leaning towards it being Harry though. I get it. It’s almost a give in at this point but man that’s just so obvious. Almost too obvious.

That conversation with Kindred and Norman newr the end was great...and super chilling.

^ Thanks for the spoiler tag. Have not read yet but I enjoy the one liner reactions/reviews. They help haha.

Issue 31...

Another solid issue with some good moments from Spencer and great artwork by Ottley.

Yeah, all signs are pointing to Harry being Kindred but I agree, it's being so obvious about it that I'm thinking this is intended to be a distraction.

I haven't lost interest in the Kindred mystery but at the same time whenever you drag something out this long, it places more pressure on the final reveal. Simply because there's so much importance being pushed in regards to this character, it raises everyone's expectations. There's nothing wrong with that but I'm just hoping that Spencer can really pull it off. I'm rooting for him.

The scene between Kindred and Norman at the end was great. And I didn't mind Spidey overtaking CarNorman like how he did. Imo, he was made too powerful by Slott.

Just to kinda recap the whole Kindred mystery, what we know:

He has some kind of personal connection to Peter.

He's upset about Peter bringing Felicia back into his life.

He's got ties to Kingpin, a history with Norman, Mysterio, etc.

He doesn't want to hurt MJ.

He's been dead long enough to have risen thru the ranks of Hell and acquired a high status.

Anything I'm missing?

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that they referenced when that conversation took place. I was confused a little too, because I'm not reading Absolute Carnage (I really hate the character).

As far as the identity of Kindred, something strange came to me. Instead of who everyone thinks it is from obvious clues...

..instead of Harry, who I thought was still alive since Brand New Day, what if it was Gwen Stacy? I know it sounds weird, but Kindred did say Norman made "it" what it is today. Though I don't know why she would be going up the ranks of hell. And Gwen is still dead. Or are you guys saying this is a way of correcting Harry's resurrection?
Anyway, despite my weird little theory, I agree on the most likely identity of Kindred.

Despite this weird idea I had, I agree with everyone the most likely identity of Kindred.

Yeah, thanks for reminding me that they referenced when that conversation took place. I was confused a little too, because I'm not reading Absolute Carnage (I really hate the character).

As far as the identity of Kindred, something strange came to me. Instead of who everyone thinks it is from obvious clues...

..instead of Harry, who I thought was still alive since Brand New Day, what if it was Gwen Stacy? I know it sounds weird, but Kindred did say Norman made "it" what it is today. Though I don't know why she would be going up the ranks of hell. And Gwen is still dead. Or are you guys saying this is a way of correcting Harry's resurrection?
Anyway, despite my weird little theory, I agree on the most likely identity of Kindred.

Despite this weird idea I had, I agree with everyone the most likely identity of Kindred.

Trust me, that’s not that far fetched and actually a pretty popular theory for some..

Kindred being Gwen has actually been brought up and I’m not completely against it either. The only issue with it as far as I’m concerned is that Kindred has been referred to as a “he” on more then on occasion. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the Harry thing is just way too obvious. I’m personally still holding out hope for a OMD connection and maybe Kindred is Peter Parker in a sense. Granted at this stage I’m probably in the minority with that but still hoping......

So, it looks like Quesada is no longer in charge at Marvel, and Kevin Feige will be taking over ALL of Marvel, which will now be incorporated under one banner! So, Joe Q is no longer in charge...anyone else remember his declaration of "while I'm in charge"...?

Let's fix Marvel, now! Step 1: Undo One More Day! Step 2: Hire Shinlyle to draw a monthly Spidey book!

Okay. Just the first one.

if you like stepping all over a brother's dreams, I mean...

Trust me, that’s not that far fetched and actually a pretty popular theory for some..

Kindred being Gwen has actually been brought up and I’m not completely against it either. The only issue with it as far as I’m concerned is that Kindred has been referred to as a “he” on more then on occasion. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the Harry thing is just way too obvious. I’m personally still holding out hope for a OMD connection and maybe Kindred is Peter Parker in a sense. Granted at this stage I’m probably in the minority with that but still hoping......

The one thing that wouldn't make sense with Harry being Kindred is the ties between to Kingpin. I don't recall there ever being a connection between them. Unless it's something new. But we've already seen Harry and his descent into being the bad guy before... doing it again? I mean yeah it's possible but it kinda robs this buildup with Kindred. I feel like that reveal would be received rather flatly. Just my opinion.

As for Kindred being Gwen. For what reason would she want to hurt Peter? Or why would she have been sent to hell?

So, it looks like Quesada is no longer in charge at Marvel, and Kevin Feige will be taking over ALL of Marvel, which will now be incorporated under one banner! So, Joe Q is no longer in charge...anyone else remember his declaration of "while I'm in charge"...?

Let's fix Marvel, now! Step 1: Undo One More Day! Step 2: Hire Shinlyle to draw a monthly Spidey book!

Okay. Just the first one.

if you like stepping all over a brother's dreams, I mean...

I'm happy that Joe Quesadilla is out. There's just one thing I'm worried about. I could totally see Feige trying to align the comics with the movies and we'd end up with yet another teen reboot of Spider-Man. Yuck.

On the other hand Feige has a crap load of stuff on his plate, he just may let the creators and C.B. run with their ideas. I just hope the comics and movies stay separate.

And of course we need to get Shinlyle penciling a Spidey title!

I can totally see Peter and MJ getting married again. Maybe not undo OMD. But get married? Yes, I believe they will.

Wasn’t a fan of this latest one/these ABSOLUTE CARNAGE tie-ins but the Kindred mystery isn’t dead to me either. Still intrigued and agree that Harry is a misdirect!

Reminder that #32 is out today, as well as FULL CIRCLE and VELOCITY #3.

Anybody been reading VELOCITY for GAMERVERSE?

Nice, solid issue for a new start of an arc. The art was GREAT in this issue, I thought. Almost like Francis Manapul if any of you guys read some DC stuff here. Definitely did your typical “day-in-the-life” Spidey issue well — I really really enjoy seeing Peter back at ESU.

I know Marvel is pushing this whole big 2099 event and whole I’m not really familiar with him, I’m intrigued with what they’re teasing so far. Like all of these big events, though, I’ll probably only manage to read the Spidey issues lol.

With
MJ away, I’m curious to how they’re gonna keep her arc consistent as she’s been one of my, if not my favorite part of Spencer’s run.

Issue 32...

With Spencer he seems to work a slow start and build a crescendo with each arc. His pacing is slow and deliberate. But here, wow, what a beginning to this new arc. A really solid issue. And maybe I'm a bit biased but I've always dug Miguel. Spider-Man 2099 imo is the best of the alt spiders. And welcome aboard Patrick Gleason! How can you not love that art? It's rhetorical, lol.

Nice, solid issue for a new start of an arc. The art was GREAT in this issue, I thought. Almost like Francis Manapul if any of you guys read some DC stuff here. Definitely did your typical “day-in-the-life” Spidey issue well — I really really enjoy seeing Peter back at ESU.

I know Marvel is pushing this whole big 2099 event and whole I’m not really familiar with him, I’m intrigued with what they’re teasing so far. Like all of these big events, though, I’ll probably only manage to read the Spidey issues lol.

With
MJ away, I’m curious to how they’re gonna keep her arc consistent as she’s been one of my, if not my favorite part of Spencer’s run.

With regard to the spoiler, her new series is how they're gonna keep it consistent. It's meant to be kinda like a tie in to the main book.

Okay, I'm caught up! (WOOHOO)

First off, the Syndicate story was OKAY...artwork was just...horrible to the max, though. I couldn't tell lady Electro from classic Max Dillon Electro. Just...the whole book was unacceptably bad. Story was okay, though.

Issue 29. Awesome. My fave issue of the series thus far. I cannot express how awesome it felt to read it, even knowing what was going to happen. SO GOOD!

Absolute Carnage Tie-ins. OKAY. LOTS of clues to Kindred's identity!
I definitely feel like the Harry thing is a red herring. I think, with Gwen being featured so prominently, it's her...that or it's Flash. I could see some kind of "time works differently in hell" type thing for Flash, but I still feel it's Gwen. The list of people who knew Norman is very short. So long as it is not a clone, I'm cool with it.

Issue 32 was great. Artwork was stellar, but I love Gleason's artwork, anyways. Loved seeing Miguel rendered so well. Yes...Spidey 2099 is always awesome to see. Also, seeing Doom 2099 was great!! I think we're in for a big treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"