Comics Amazing Spider-Man #533 Spoilers

Themanofbat said:
But, but... the Pro-Legislation heroes ARE the bad guys. :confused:

:(

That's right. So much for the notion that there's "no right or wrong side" in Civil War. Course, there were hints that Marvel was stacking the deck in supporting the anti-registration side long before now, even though, realistically, holding superheroes accountable for their actions makes far more sense than simply "tradition."

Superhero lawsuits. RIVETING action. Precisely what turned me on to comic books in the first place.

Not.

Well, I went to my comic store today and tried to get my copy of CW#2. No luck, it was sold out. Even the manager couldn't get a copy for himself. So I have to wait another week. Meanwhile...

I've waded through around 500 threads on the Civil War topic here. Hmmm...I'm neutral. Sure, I'm not cool with the unmasking, but I can see where this will make a lot of energetic storylines down the road (at least until the status quo returns). I'm seeing a lot of hysteria about changes. okay, fine. But the world didn't tilt yesterday, and the sun didn't blow up. I can see Peter turning on Stark for several reasons. Obviously, if there is a deception he is unaware of he will rebel. Another possibility is the fallout among friends in the superhero community. There's a complexity here that a lot of people are missing (lost in all the screeching). Sure the new costume is ugly but so what? I'm not gonna go into a long speech about it. I can see it now...Spidey confronts Stark all tattered after fighting nonstop for a week...

"You lied to me!"

"Peter, I did what was necessary. You agreed to stand by my side!"

"It was a mistake. I didn't think it through! Now no one trusts me again."

"I'm sorry. They've ruined the suit. Even the arms are broken."

Peter (smiles wierdly) "It doesn't matter. I never needed the toys."

"I never said you did, but-"

"Besides, spiders are masters of camoflague. It occurs to me I can do these things myself."

"Impossible!"

"Fool. I'm the FREAKING SPIDER! Why wear phony arms..."

*Swipswipswip*

"When I can grow my own?!"

Stark (starts running) "NOOOOOOOOooo..."

What are the Spidey books coming to... Spider-man unmasking just further destroys the whole mythos.
I seriously hope this all gets retconed soon, but the more crap that mounts up the less hopefull I become.

stillanerd said:
That's right. So much for the notion that there's "no right or wrong side" in Civil War. Course, there were hints that Marvel was stacking the deck in supporting the anti-registration side long before now, even though, realistically, holding superheroes accountable for their actions makes far more sense than simply "tradition."
I was thinking the same thing... training... accountability... there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with them having that with their superhero identities alone.

The extremes here don't really make sense. :(

Doc Ock said:
I don't think so. Looking at that link posted there, the guy said in one of his replies that Ock was in a warehouse when he watched the unmasking broadcast.

Hopefully Vulture is in jail. He didn't specify where he was.

That's what happens when I reply before looking through all the replies. ;) I do hope Vulture is in jail too, since contradictions within the actual story wouldn't look very good, no matter how convulted Civil War is in terms of comics. I'm kind of curious to see what other villians he was elluding to, or if they were just kind of in the shadows and grouped around a TV.

Dangerous said:
What are the Spidey books coming to... Spider-man unmasking just further destroys the whole mythos.
I seriously hope this all gets retconed soon, but the more crap that mounts up the less hopefull I become.
Screeching. Hahahah.

Glad my disarray amuses you Won, wish I could be as nonchalant about it all.

Captivated said:
I was thinking the same thing... training... accountability... there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with them having that with their superhero identities alone.

The extremes here don't really make sense. :(

Dan Slott once made a very good point with regards to Civil War: If you believe that the Marvel Universe is a place where someone like the Hulk can rampage through city streets, knock down buildings and yet those buildings are empty and no innocent bystanders are accidently killed (which is the conceit in comics) then Captain America's position is right. However, if you believe that the Marvel Universe is similar to the real world in which battles between heroes and villains can result in innocent bystanders getting killed (say like what happened in Stamford), then Iron Man postion is automatically right. End of discussion.

However, this debate over "vigilantism vs. authority" is being overshadowed by a "civil liberties vs. security" argument, not to mention wanting to make it relevant to today's political climate with regards to the "war on terrorism," September 11th, Guantanemo Bay, etc. As a result, Civil War is so far is painting the "anti-registration" side as being the "protagonists" and the pro-registration side the "antagonists," despite the claims from Marvel that there wouldn't be a "right or wrong side." After all, by all indications such as Iron Man manipulating Peter and the public unmasking, we are supposed to be getting the impression that Spider-Man has sided with the wrong group and that he'll see the error of his ways and switch. Like I said, I get the feeling Marvel is playing with a stacked deck.

I support the unmasking. I mean, its new, bold, and daring. And makes interesting stories like this.

Then how come everytime I look at the last pages of Civil War #2 I shake my head in shame?

What was the cover showing Spidey about to lay into Iron man's ass? Was that before or after the unmasking?

i was hoping jonah's response would be a little more mature. i had this whole conversation planned out, like how i would write it.

Man, I just finished ASM #533 and I'm am a hair away from becoming a keep the mask on supporter.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I can't believe how things are turning out...I mean everyones now like "hey its peter parker! Lets sue him for all he's worth!" And Iron man's all like "well beat up the other guys or we'll have to beat you." Things are going to crap! I just pray that Spidey will kick the living tar out of that Iron-Butt.

Well, this sounds mildly entertaining. I'll probably read it at the con this weekend. Not planning on buying any Spidey stiff until this is retconned (and it will be).

I must profess that it'll be interesting to see what happend between JJJ and Peter. Jonah has every right to sue, seeing as how Peter is now guilty of COUNTLESS acts of fraud by selling pictures of himself to the Bugle.

Of course, it could be argued that, sense doing so defamed himself (through Jonah's countless editorials), that the damage was done, and that the Bugle reaped more benefits from the situation than Parker ever did.

Of course, that won't help him with the John Jameson thing...

Spectre722 said:
i was hoping jonah's response would be a little more mature. i had this whole conversation planned out, like how i would write it.

but jonah is just a kid immature really when it comes to spidey.

Webz14 said:
I support the unmasking. I mean, its new, bold, and daring. And makes interesting stories like this.

Then how come everytime I look at the last pages of Civil War #2 I shake my head in shame?
Because you know there are hundreds great of ideas they could make but like the last couple of years of Amazing, are going to be sub-par stories and alot of hype.

RAMORE said:
but jonah is just a kid immature really when it comes to spidey.
Which is one of the all time greatest things about Spider-man. JJJ is such a little baby when he comes to Spider-man. I love it.

Doc Destruction said:
Superhero lawsuits. RIVETING action. Precisely what turned me on to comic books in the first place.

Not.

its supposed to be funny. calm down...

shinlyle said:
Well, this sounds mildly entertaining. I'll probably read it at the con this weekend. Not planning on buying any Spidey stiff until this is retconned (and it will be).

I must profess that it'll be interesting to see what happend between JJJ and Peter. Jonah has every right to sue, seeing as how Peter is now guilty of COUNTLESS acts of fraud by selling pictures of himself to the Bugle.

Of course, it could be argued that, sense doing so defamed himself (through Jonah's countless editorials), that the damage was done, and that the Bugle reaped more benefits from the situation than Parker ever did.

Of course, that won't help him with the John Jameson thing...
How do you figure? It would only be fraud if Peter took pictures of himself and sold them as being of Spider-Man, and he WASN'T Spider-Man. He IS Spider-Man, so it's not fraud. (Except for what he did in regards to John Jameson... but that whole contest was shady to begin with)

Anger can be the overt experssion of many different emotions, all of which I'm sure JJJ must be feeling...

I imagine JJJ feels a little betrayed... in his own way he cared for Peter, and Peter let him burn with anger for years over Spider-Man, without ever trusting him with the truth. (Of course, he just thought his son did the same thing and he didn't go ballistic...)

He's probably feeling embarrassed too.... He doesn't yet know how the whole thing began... and may wonder if Peter/Spider-Man wasn't just laughing at him the whole time... at the irony. This is unfortunately compounded with Peter tricking JJJ concerning his son...

Where Spider-Man was concerned JJJ has also felt fear, and he has felt [SIZE=-1]inadequate[/SIZE]... all of which translated into anger.

JJJ has hated Spider-Man so long, it started to define who he is... it's going to be very hard for him to let go of that. It's going to take him awhile to separate his feelings for Spider-Man and for Peter, and to know what's real... He and Peter seriously need to have a heart to heart. Peter needs to tell him about Uncle Ben, his motivation, the reason for the secret, and his desire all these years, inspite of everything, to have JJJ's approval...

It could be so good, if they take the time and don't just deal with the surface... JJJ is mad... yeah, yeah, so what else is new? Go deeper!

stillanerd said:
Dan Slott once made a very good point with regards to Civil War: If you believe that the Marvel Universe is a place where someone like the Hulk can rampage through city streets, knock down buildings and yet those buildings are empty and no innocent bystanders are accidently killed (which is the conceit in comics) then Captain America's position is right. However, if you believe that the Marvel Universe is similar to the real world in which battles between heroes and villains can result in innocent bystanders getting killed (say like what happened in Stamford), then Iron Man postion is automatically right. End of discussion.

Well that is not of much help since we know that there have been innocent casualties in Heroes Vs Villans battles before. In MK: SM there were innocent deaths in the fight between SM and Electro (Some of which were even children). In IM we have seen civilian casualties in his fights with villans, so it is not as clear cut as that.

Trask said:
Well that is not of much help since we know that there have been innocent casualties in Heroes Vs Villans battles before. In MK: SM there were innocent deaths in the fight between SM and Electro (Some of which were even children). In IM we have seen civilian casualties in his fights with villans, so it is not as clear cut as that.

Sure it is. By your own examples the Marvel Universe is a place where innocent people can get killed if caught in a fight between superpowered people. Therefore, there should be accountability for the "collateral damage" caused as a result, meaning there is merit in the registration of superbeings.

stillanerd said:
Sure it is. By your own examples the Marvel Universe is a place where innocent people can get killed if caught in a fight between superpowered people. Therefore, there should be accountability for the "collateral damage" caused as a result, meaning there is merit in the registration of superbeings.

Yes but anyone can see that the way Civil War is going it looks like the pro-registration group are going to be the "villans" of the story while the anti-registration are going to be the "heroes". By your argument it should be the other way round since it has already been shown that there are "collateral damage" (as you put it).

Oh man I can't wait for the JJJ vs Peter lawsuit to go to court. It'll all seem like Peter is doomed until Aunt May takes the stand.
She'll talk about how often she used to scold Peter for complaining about JJJ and that without the money he gets from the Spider-Man photos they would both be on the streets. She would finish up by saying how proud she was of Peter for being so tolerent of Jonah and that she would have quit long ago.
Then she would give JJJ the look. :mad:

Captivated said:
He and Peter seriously need to have a heart to heart. Peter needs to tell him about Uncle Ben, his motivation, the reason for the secret, and his desire all these years, inspite of everything, to have JJJ's approval...

....damn...that dialogue, if done well, would be worth the selling price of the entire Civil War arc alone!!...here's hoping

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"