Comics Amazing Spider-Man #556

iloveclones

spooky....
Reaction score
More of the same (in a good way).

I don't want to put things in spoilers, so rather, I'll just be general about what I liked:

* A really funny scene with JJJ in the hospital. Classic, with a capital C, Jonah.

* A scene that will eventually lead to Pete and Vin rooming together that is "Spider-Man" funny.

* A nice scene with Spidey and a homeless guy that shows that the spider bite was incidental in making Pete a good guy. And, the homeless guy helps Spidey stuff his costume full of newspaper for warmth...and Bachalo pulls off the visual joke perfectly. Subtly, without overdoing it, but funny.

* An ending that I wasn't expecting, and from hearing people around here discussing it, either were you!

If this is the kind of story they can get out of Wells, they might want to consider him and Slott Co-head writers of the spidey brain-trust. (That is a compliment to both.)

Enjoy! I can't wait to discuss it in a couple of days...

I picked up this Issue today and I thought it was great! From the comedic scenes to the action, it was all awesome. I loved it when JJJ tried walking out of the hospital. It really showed how much he cares for his Newpaper. I also really liked how Spidey battled that super powerful snow ninja. Also, the ending was really creepy and left me wanting more. :up:

Aloha,
Still not a great fan of the art but it's easy on the eyes and you can tell who everyone is, so, it's growing on me. Enjoyed the story and agree with you that Peter giving the jacket back to the homeless man was classic Peter/Spider-Man. The wit is there and the serialized story telling is also growing on me. I do want to know what will happen next. Looking forward to #557.
Spidey rules

Aloha,
Still not a great fan of the art but it's easy on the eyes and you can tell who everyone is, so, it's growing on me. Enjoyed the story and agree with you that Peter giving the jacket back to the homeless man was classic Peter/Spider-Man. The wit is there and the serialized story telling is also growing on me. I do want to know what will happen next. Looking forward to #557.
Spidey rules

Just got it today, DT. I'll start a thread in a day or so, but I wanted to rub it in a little (Hey, you're in Hawaii, and I'm in the 'burgh.....it's all I got, man)

Another solid issue. I thought Vern was a great character. I'd like to see him as an occasional supporting cast member.

Didnt see that twist coming at all either at the end. Zeb Wells rules.

Looking forward to the finale.

Just got it today, DT. I'll start a thread in a day or so, but I wanted to rub it in a little (Hey, you're in Hawaii, and I'm in the 'burgh.....it's all I got, man)[/QUOTE
Aloha,
I'm on vacation for the next two weeks. I'll think of you as I read Spidey on the beach:word::grin:
Spidey rules with great comraderie

Who needs a vacation when you live in Hawaii???

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:cwink:

I dropped Amazing at the end of the last arc for a number of reasons. Most reviews on all the BND issues were negative, so I didnt feel I was just dropping in semi-protest for BND having come about at all.

However, of course as soon as I drop it and ask my local shop to remove it from my pull list it apparently gets a whole lot better (figures :rolleyes:).
Having read the reviews and comments for it though, it seems to be that the reason it is so much better (though not explicitly stated as of course the quality of the writer has to play a big part) is because the editorial balloons were missing, the broken webshooters every five mins were missing, the DB was missing (for the most part), Jackpot was missing - essentially everything Brand New Day about it was missing, and thus is seems to be climbing up again.

Now what does this tell us kiddies?

It tells us that fans are reluctant to change. If this story would have started BND, you would have heard the same complaints, with a different twist. (e.g. OMG, how can they just start this without even MENTIONING MJ? And leave it to Marvel to use a marketing ploy like Wolverine to artificially boost sales to make it look good.)

Everything? The DB (and Jonah's role) is a major, and funny, subplot. Carlie's there. Vin's there. Harry makes an appearance. I don't know the bug people seem to have about editorial balloons, but it certainly isn't the hallmark of BND. So that leaves us with Jackpot. Yes, she wasn't there. That certainly makes it the least BND-like story yet.

If that was making the case that "BND was bad, because as soon as they get away from it, Amazing is good", it was the worst case ever. No offense. Well, little offense. :)

Really enjoyed the ish, always been a fan of Wells and Bachalo. Been waiting for Wells to be back on Spidey since his tiny stints on PP:SM :up:

Although, I did see the twist coming from the last ish. But I REALLY loved the interaction with Peter and the homeless guy. That's the kind of stuff I've been missing for so long. That kind of stuff can only happen in Spidey comics.

Hate to go back to the whole MJ thing, but I must say, I'm really starting to see what the writers are saying by not having him married. That responsibility is far too huge, and Peter in his decent right mind can't do a lot of the things he's been doing when he has to be an honourable man and come home and take care of his wife

And yet, if far better writers more capably wrote the marriage, you wouldn't be saying that right now.

And yet, if far better writers more capably wrote the marriage, you wouldn't be saying that right now.

Unbelievable that there are still people who think that the problem was how well or poorly the marriage was written.

While this is getting away from the issue that I haven't even glanced though in the store, I'd say the strength of weakness of any aspect of any comic depends on the writer. There's been some very good Pete/MJ stories and some horrible ones too, but then we can say that about any aspect of the character or supporting cast.

The problem with any story is how well it's written. I've seen the crappiest concepts play out beautifully and some of the better ones die horrific deaths thanks to writing.

We're still too early to see if the SOS direction is panning out correctly for whichever reason. So far there's been very little that needed a single Peter Parker, though I'd say that's probably because the writers didn't want to kill us with the sudden change. But at this point they've had long enough so we should be seeing these new concepts soon, or we know they were just talking @hit.

Unbelievable that there are still people who think that the problem was how well or poorly the marriage was written.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll take Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and a married Spider-Man over BND and ANY of its writers, hands down.

You have to keep in mind that, for much of that 20 years, Marvel was trying to make MJ unlikeable and/or get rid of her. Despite that, we still got some outstanding stories from that time. If editorial had just let things be, I'm sure things would have been even better.

As someone who usually jumps right onto the "f*** BND bandwagon", aren't these threads supposed to be about the issues alone, and NOT the entire concept behind BND? I thought that was stated at the beginning of each thread.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll take Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and a married Spider-Man over BND and ANY of its writers, hands down.

You have to keep in mind that, for much of that 20 years, Marvel was trying to make MJ unlikeable and/or get rid of her. Despite that, we still got some outstanding stories from that time. If editorial had just let things be, I'm sure things would have been even better.

But it's not about how good or bad the marriage is written (whatever that even means), it's that the marriage is fundamentally detrimental to the character of who Peter Parker/Spider-Man is and supposed to be. And that was always the problem, not the depiction of the marriage.

As someone who usually jumps right onto the "f*** BND bandwagon", aren't these threads supposed to be about the issues alone, and NOT the entire concept behind BND? I thought that was stated at the beginning of each thread.

Yes. We can all thank Doc Destruction for derailing another thread.

Yes. We can all thank Doc Destruction for derailing another thread.

Actually looking up it was wolvie's initial comment, Doc commented on that, and you're now continuing the argument. Rather than ignore a point it's like people can't stop talking about it, even people "sick of talking about it".

Well back to the issue, what's the big hit at the end? I should be seeing this from my LCSG later this week but I might miss it if I get lazy and start my trip to the keys a day early, which I'm almost certianly doing.

1st off mate, I'm a huge fan of the marriage, and think it'd be a great idea if they had parallel Spidey stories with Pete/MJ and a baby alongside these stories.

All I was doing was saying I'm starting to see the kind of different Spidey stories they can tell where he's single, as opposed to looking like a *****e and not giving MJ her dues by behaving in the same way when he's married.

And yes, believe it or not I agree that it's all about writers being lazy, or not doing it well, but it's becoming very clear to me very quick how it's much easier for writers here to weave a decent Spider-Man yarn sans the marriage. Grant Morrison said very well, (IMO, recently,) 'sadly as a writer, it's much easier to write an exciting comic with a dead GF in a fridge, rather than a happy marriage.'

I think the same could be said about marriage/long term relationships full stop. You have to work at it, and find ways to keep it fresh and exciting, and over long periods of time it can become very difficult. BELIEVE me, I know.

2ndly mate, don't you ever get tired from annoying people in the BND threads? I think we're all a little too old for this...

Actually looking up it was wolvie's initial comment, Doc commented on that, and you're now continuing the argument. Rather than ignore a point it's like people can't stop talking about it, even people "sick of talking about it".

Well back to the issue, what's the big hit at the end? I should be seeing this from my LCSG later this week but I might miss it if I get lazy and start my trip to the keys a day early, which I'm almost certianly doing.

It's not a BIG biggie. The scientist that Spidey saved from the ninjas (actually, aztecs) is actually the baddie. Not a big world shaking revelation, it just caught me off-guard. Which is good......

It's not a BIG biggie. The scientist that Spidey saved from the ninjas (actually, aztecs) is actually the baddie. Not a big world shaking revelation, it just caught me off-guard. Which is good......

Aztec ninja's are a cool concept, I always liked the Trantula's rival hand ninja group (or at least until daredevil decided to steal the guy and make him all gangsta fabulous). Is wolverine still around for the next issue?

Aztec ninja's are a cool concept, I always liked the Trantula's rival hand ninja group (or at least until daredevil decided to steal the guy and make him all gangsta fabulous). Is wolverine still around for the next issue?

He wasn't in this issue, but he may show up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"