Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

So will your opinion of these great artists of TODAY be diminished in 25 years when the newer artists of the FUTURE can tell stories with their art and have also improved the standard of artwork?
Well, if the art does improve, I think that I will say of today's artists the same thing that I say now of yesteryear's artists. I think this is true based on the fact that nostalgia isn't holding me back from admitting this regarding artists I grew up with.

In my opinion, the artistic ability can make most work timeless, but if you want to think that artwork has improved based on computer colouring, heavier inks adding detailed lines, and better paper quality... be my guest
I certainly think comic art has improved, but not only due to technological improvements. The actual quality of artwork put into it has improved.

Slott would agree with me that many of yesteryear's great storytelling artists have laid an egg once in a while... that's being honest... but I guess that we feel that you think that all those stories, in spite of their greatness "back in the day", somehow lacks nowadays... which I would say is rather "ignorant" on your behalf...

But feel free to "correct" me if I'm wrong... which I know you will... :oldrazz:

:yay:

You may disagree with me all you like, doesn't change that it's true. I'll have to put some effort into finding pics of pages from old comics so I can give you some specific examples.

As some of you know, I recently was forced (by my own honesty/integrity) to give a really positive review to an issue of ASM written by Dan Slott. As a result I feel kinda dirty. Not to mention that fact that by giving a positive review to my nemesis I may have well spun the earth off it's axis and disturbed the balance of the universe.

To set things right I figured I'd renew my lambasting of one of Dan's favorite current artists :woot:

Dan, in regards to Marcos Martin and that page that you say is so phenomenal, to check whether it was just me (and Jewhob) that don't like it, I thought I'd run it by some friends of mine. I simply sent them the pic with no comments from me and asked for their thoughts. None are big names of course, but all three are lifelong comic fans (one has an art degree, but doesn't make his living from it). Here are their thoughts on it...

First response I got: "Not great. The art is pretty plain."

Second response (from the friend with art degree): "I like the storytelling in the piece, but the art itself is nothing spectacular".

Third response (and this one I found funniest given what I've been saying on here): this is great art...this is from the Jack Kirby era right? no? then it's well below quality standards of a high profile book like Spider-man or any of the other off shoot books thereof

These are all from comic fans in their late twenties. So I once again submit that perhaps it is nostalgia giving you some rose colored glasses regarding the old style art.

Or it could be the result of your "late 20's" friends growing up in a disposable society and simply being unable to appreciate "greatness".

Well, if the art does improve, I think that I will say of today's artists the same thing that I say now of yesteryear's artists. I think this is true based on the fact that nostalgia isn't holding me back from admitting this regarding artists I grew up with.

I don't know if that's simply fact... the nostalgia comment... great artists like Romita Sr. & Mike Ploog were "before my time", though admittedly by a few years, but mostly read their work in the early 80's through back issues of ASM and WereWolf by Night, and it was fantastic stuff AT THAT TIME... as I still think it's fantastic.

Though it would be interesting to hook up in 25 years to talk about comic book art...

And you shouldn't feel "dirty" for giving something you liked a positive review...

Feeling "dirty" just adds more fuel to the fire that you're biased...

Just my two cents...

Keeping it strictly Amazing (although the other titles had a couple goodies):

Ross Andru:
1978-03-amazingspider-man178-ross-andru.jpg

Ron Frenz:
AmazingSpider-Man258.jpg

Mark Bagley:
AmazingSpider-Man407.jpg

John Romita, Sr:
300px-Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_121.jpg

And you shouldn't feel "dirty" for giving something you liked a positive review...

Feeling "dirty" just adds more fuel to the fire that you're biased...

Just my two cents...

Was just kidding around about that :)

R.I.P Mr Steve Ditko, a sad day for Spidey fans, the comic book world has lost a true great today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"