Immonen to be next penciller for Ultimate Spider-Man

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]NEXTARTIST[/FONT]
litg_gr.gif
With Mark Bagley's lengthy run on "Ultimate Spider-Man" ending soon, it's time for a new artist to be named. Who might it be?

I have it confirmed that Stuart Immonen is the new artist on "Ultimate Spider-Man."

To celebrate Stuart's arrival, I have decided to spell his name correctly.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

It all depends. I for one do not believe the far out Immomnen style to be such a good fit, but Stuart is a man of many styles, so I'd be interested to see some of his character sketches before commenting.

Provided this is true, I spit on it. Bagley was the last thing that kept me reading USM past the Hollywood arc. The fact that Mark Brooks isn't the artist is total bull****.

Crap...what the hell is Quesdada talking about when he says it's goin be a huge big name artist...crap. his art some of the worst i've seen, i absolutley hate it!

jaydawg said:
Provided this is true, I spit on it. Bagley was the last thing that kept me reading USM past the Hollywood arc. The fact that Mark Brooks isn't the artist is total bull****.
In total agreement. Mark Brooks' art on the last two USM ANNUALS was very crisp and flowed seemlessly with Mark Bagley. He would have been my natural choice. And it's not like Brooks is a "no-name", as he's gotten big drawing some X-Books.

The only question mark with Brooks was how many issues he could do a year; Marvel supposedly wanted someone who could at least make a go at matching Bagley's 18 issues a year. Granted, Bagley rarely penciled other books while he was on USM (aside for some stints on PULSE and FF, and covers to the ULTIMATE HANDBOOKS), so with only one title he could invest more time into being regular. But also he's one of the few artists who still hails from the work ethic of the early 90's. Most artists have issues doing a meager 6 issues on time without breaks, and Brooks may be one of them.

Immonen can do a few issues at a time, he was fairly reliable on ULTIMATE X-MEN when he drew Vaughan's stories, but he doesn't fit USM methinks. Least if you want to have a simular artist to Bagley.

But then again, this is an editorial dept. that felt following up Hitch's photorealism for Ultimates 3 would be "Mr. Manga", Joe Mad. So much for "flow".

I'll give Immonen a chance, but I agree wholeheartedly that it shoulda been Brooks. As it is, Bendis' originality on USM is runnin' on empty and I'd be more excited if Bagley was staying but Bendis got a co-writer. Not leave the book altogether, but have someone else co-writing so at least a few pages each issue ain't predictable. And so Peter could be less of a helpless sissy.

I love Immonen's art. You guys read Superman: Secret Identity? The man is incredible when he wants to be. The question is, which style is he gonna use. The jaw dropping beauty of SM:SI? Or the cartoony Next Wave stuff? Doesn't matter. I dropped USM years ago and never looked back.

Superman20Secret20Identity201820-20.jpg

superman-secretidentity3.jpg

superman-secretidentity1.jpg

You guys are all going to Hell. :cmad:
Stuart Immonen is one of the top five artists in the business. Period.

Why are you people buying USM in the first place? :o

Well, being that I just read the Warriors arc and loved the artwork in it, I can safely say that I'm disappointed. But I'll give it a chance, I guess.

I'm a big fan of Immonen, myself. He's done excellent work on Ultimate Fantastic Four and Nextwave, and has shown he can change up his style a bit in Superman: Secret Identity.

With that said, am I glad he's on USM in particular? ...I dunno. Like, well, everyone, I was hoping Mark Brooks would be given the job - simply to keep artistic continuity with Bagley's art. However, if I had to pick an artist who didn't look like Bagley, Immonen would probably be one of my choices.

Darthphere said:

...Cause every other Spider-Man title has been reduced to pure garbage, whereas this one is... only slight garbage, thus the character of Spider-Man is being raped over more times than pre-stardom Paris Hilton? :csad:

Darthphere said:
I download it. :o

And FW it to MB. :o

I think ASM is really the best Spidey title right now. Always has and still is. Despite Sins Past.

Master Bruce said:
...Cause every other Spider-Man title has been reduced to pure garbage, whereas this one is... only slight garbage, thus the character of Spider-Man is being raped over more times than pre-stardom Paris Hilton? :csad:

So you like garbage.

Darthphere said:
So you like garbage.

Yes. Yes, I like garbage. I eat it daily. Sometimes even put it in a blender and make smoothies.

So thats why your breath smells like horse nuts! :eek:

Anubis said:
I think ASM is really the best Spidey title right now. Always has and still is. Despite Sins Past.
And The Other. :o
Master Bruce said:
Yes. Yes, I like garbage. I eat it daily. Sometimes even put it in a blender and make smoothies.
622OG-p0002-ST.jpg

I was actually hoping to get the guy who did the annuals, but this is still great news. I've been really digging his work on Nextwave lately, so I'm looking forward to this :o

Master Bruce said:

Youre my hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"