American Football

Clobberin' Time has made many key points. I like fast paced games, adding gear to everything takes away alot of the risk,injury. So I don't feel Football is a pure sport and doesn't require that big of balls as say Rugby. Whenever you watch football, the only time you might squeal is whenever you see a leg snap in SLo-Mo. Rugby, its like 24/7 going WOOHOOO!!! on the edge of your seat.

ampersand said:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

And you do because?????

Perhaps a little more constructive.

RogueLDN said:
And you do because?????

Perhaps a little more constructive.
Because I PLAY football and understand the game. Yes, Rugby is a much faster paced game but in a different way then football. Every play in football is an all out war followed by a 25 second break to regroup and pick the battle plan. Players study formations, tendancies, weaknesses, etc. extensively to better know their opponent and gain an edge. For the 3-5 seconds the play is running, they utilize all that information.

Yes, Rugby is a great game. And so is football. All the stupid arguements you two are making are unfounded because we are talking about two fundimentally different games.

ampersand said:
Every play in football is an all out war followed by a 25 second break to regroup and pick the battle plan.

Let me stop you right there my man. War... Battle plan... Oh dear, try this for size...

Every play in Rugby Xtreme is an all out messy scramble followed by a pointless break to talk about inflated salaries and pose for the cameras.

ampersand said:
Players study formations, tendancies, weaknesses, etc. extensively to better know their opponent and gain an edge. For the 3-5 seconds the play is running, they utilize all that information.

Players guess the random machismo, unecessary moves etc. in a vain hope of looking like they have a clue whats going on. For the 3-5 seconds the play is running, they forget what they were guessing in the first place.

ampersand said:
Yes, Rugby is a great game.

Correct.

ampersand said:
All the stupid arguements you two are making are unfounded because we are talking about two fundimentally different games.

Damn, Rugby Xtreme has copied the superior game of Rugby but added pads and pointless board meetings, I hope nobody notices this.

:)

**** this, I don't even care anymore. You are such an ass.

ampersand said:
Because I PLAY football and understand the game. Yes, Rugby is a much faster paced game but in a different way then football. Every play in football is an all out war followed by a 25 second break to regroup and pick the battle plan. Players study formations, tendancies, weaknesses, etc. extensively to better know their opponent and gain an edge. For the 3-5 seconds the play is running, they utilize all that information.

Yes, Rugby is a great game. And so is football. All the stupid arguements you two are making are unfounded because we are talking about two fundimentally different games.

How often and at what level have you played rugby, I'm talking form the perspective of playing both and comparing both, and while my earlier posts were purely argumentative my recent ones were not they made valid points as to why i believe it is a superiour game.

You are rehashing the same arguements again and again.

Batty for Bats! said:
Clobberin' Time has made many key points. I like fast paced games, adding gear to everything takes away alot of the risk,injury. So I don't feel Football is a pure sport and doesn't require that big of balls as say Rugby. Whenever you watch football, the only time you might squeal is whenever you see a leg snap in SLo-Mo. Rugby, its like 24/7 going WOOHOOO!!! on the edge of your seat.

And people have agreed with that assessment but it doesn't make one game better than the other game. It's purely based on opinion and what you're most familiar with.

The arguement has gotten stale and old. It's basically just Clobberin' Time trying to get a rise out of people.

Though if Clobberin' Time is actually serious...well, ignorance is bliss.

Batty for Bats! said:

my sentiments exactly.

Clobberin' Time said:
What do you think ? :)

I don't know. You say you're not serious on here but that doesn't mean that you aren't. I think this discussion is stupid, in all honesty. Heh.

SpideyInATree said:
I don't know. You say you're not serious on here but that doesn't mean that you aren't. I think this discussion is stupid, in all honesty. Heh.
He's serious until someone proves him wrong or comes up with a valid argument. Then he "was joking".

ampersand said:
He's serious until someone proves him wrong or comes up with a valid argument. Then he "was joking".

Yeah, that's what I basically meant. I just see this thread as a big dick measuring contest. Some people in this thread just think that Rugby is better because "they don't wear pads". I don't recall anybody in America saying, "American Football is so much better than Rugby. All people who aren't American and play rugby...their all *****es" Maybe someone said that to Clobberin' Time one day, I don't know. But not every American is a hypocritical jerk off and not every American thinks that our sports are the greatest in the world. It's about what you like and football is a very entertaining and interesting sport, it's why it's the most popular here.

Basically it's like comparing apples and oranges.

HA! The apple is better!

No! The Orange is better!

The whole thread is supposed to be irreverent. He was baiting people into getting defensive a bit, but still, the thread is (or at least was) a big joke. We were going on about Slamball, and Blernsball, and calling things "Rugby 3000."

The thread didn't really become a debate until you and Ampersand started arguing over whether pick-up games really count as a sport, and then a bunch of people got up in arms over how football is a real American sport, adn the whole thing went downhill.

People being super-defensive turned this into a big debate over the real merit of sports. This thread WAS kind of fun and irreverent. But people had to ruin it by taking a joke as an afront to America or something. Now Clobberin' Time is just being obnoxious to keep the thread going.

Christ, i'm taking the piss. I quoted someone else initially and let it roll from there. Get a sense of humour.

And for the record, there hasn't been a moment that I've been serious in this thread.

Dry your eyes.

Leto Atrides said:
The whole thread is supposed to be irreverent. He was baiting people into getting defensive a bit, but still, the thread is (or at least was) a big joke. We were going on about Slamball, and Blernsball, and calling things "Rugby 3000."

The thread didn't really become a debate until you and Ampersand started arguing over whether pick-up games really count as a sport, and then a bunch of people got up in arms over how football is a real American sport, adn the whole thing went downhill.

People being super-defensive turned this into a big debate over the real merit of sports. This thread WAS kind of fun and irreverent. But people had to ruin it by taking a joke as an afront to America or something. Now Clobberin' Time is just being obnoxious to keep the thread going.

Well, considering that when I came into the thread initially it was already a long thread and I only read the first post. So, maybe Clobberin' Time could have said, "This is just a joke". Would have been a nice start.

But then I wanted to debate it on a serious level. But I didn't get that. I got "Rugby is better because they don't wear pads".

What did we ruin? Nothing. Oh no. I want to seriously debate it, oh no, I ruined your EXCITING FUN! Heh. If it's fun to sit in a thread and make up "Rugby 3000" you have a REALLY boring life, no offense. :o

Clobberin' Time said:
Christ, i'm taking the piss. I quoted someone else initially and let it roll from there. Get a sense of humour.

And for the record, there hasn't been a moment that I've been serious in this thread.

Dry your eyes.

For someone who's only been kidding, you sure get pissy about American football.

bored said:
For someone who's only been kidding, you sure get pissy about American football.

But then he'll say he's been kidding and joking the whole time to make you feel like an ass. Heh.

SpideyInATree said:
Well, considering that when I came into the thread initially it was already a long thread and I only read the first post. So, maybe Clobberin' Time could have said, "This is just a joke". Would have been a nice start.

But then I wanted to debate it on a serious level. But I didn't get that. I got "Rugby is better because they don't wear pads".

What did we ruin? Nothing. Oh no. I want to seriously debate it, oh no, I ruined your EXCITING FUN! Heh. If it's fun to sit in a thread and make up "Rugby 3000" you have a REALLY boring life, no offense. :o

People have to start labeling jokes now? I have honestly never heard anyone seriously use the term "pansy" in my life.

I just think it's odd that you don't like the direction of a thread you hijacked into being what it is. It was a thread on its own, you didn't bother reading it, and just talked about what you wanted to. It happens all the time, especially on these boards, and I generally don't care if it does. I'm just saying, you precipitated it taking the direction it did, so I don't see why you are making it out as if Clobberin' Time is attacking America. Making fun of him personally, being condesending with the "maybe someone said that to him once, I don't know". I felt a need to respond.

And as far as your last comment goes, personal insults are unnecessary, please don't be an ass about this.

Hello, long time viewer here, CT has raised some good points actually.

1) Padding does add to the injury factor
2) Rugby does indeed think fast and act faster
3) Rugby has been ripped off by American Football

martin_orton@ho said:
Hello, long time viewer here, CT has raised some good points actually.

1) Padding does add to the injury factor
2) Rugby does indeed think fast and act faster
3) Rugby has been ripped off by American Football

Those second two aren't even points, they're claims and accusations.

No they're not, they are actually opinions. opinions that I agree with.:up:

Am I too late for the pissing match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"