The Force Awakens Andy Serkis as Supreme Leader Snoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidus

Knights of Ren
Reaction score
Discussion for all things regarding Snoke.

The big question for me is whether he's a Force user or not. Because if he isn't, I can see him being a Grand Admiral Thrawn type. If he is, however, I'd wager that he's a reincarnated Darth Plagueis, since he could have learned to cheat death and come back in a new body. Anyways, big fan of Serkis' work and I'm extremely happy he's in this movie.

The name is going to bug me. I keep seeing Snoke as another name, of a character who has become unbearable on Arrow...

Still, Supreme Leader is a nice change from Emperor. So, I guess the New Order is an evolution/branch off of the Empire.

The only reason I think he may be Force sensitive is his line in Trailer #1.

"There has been an awakening...have you felt it? The Dark Side and the Light."

Of course it could mean various things. But to me it sounds like he has felt something in the Force.

Possible. But no one knows if Snoke is a Force User. No leaks or anything of the sort.

I think there is pretty good evidence he is a force user on MSW,
Didn't the description of the flashback describe him as the leader of the "seven", a group of force users who attack Luke's academy?
And that, as Solidus mentioned, is in addition to his line in trailer talking about feeling an awakening of the Force.

The only reason I think he may be Force sensitive is his line in Trailer #1.

"There has been an awakening...have you felt it? The Dark Side and the Light."

Of course it could mean various things. But to me it sounds like he has felt something in the Force.
Good point. :up:

I think there is pretty good evidence he is a force user on MSW,
Didn't the description of the flashback describe him as the leader of the "seven", a group of force users who attack Luke's academy?
And that, as Solidus mentioned, is in addition to his line in trailer talking about feeling an awakening of the Force.
That is a guess, no actual info says that. I think it is a good guess, but nothing says he serves that role.

It sounds like the Snorks almost, i can stop thinking about that in a bad way.

But Serkis and his over use of this technology, im just so bored of him. Im an animator myself, i work in games mostly and we dont use Mo Cap in our particular game. But the raw performance by itself its never enough, you always have to correct stuff, push poses, expression and sometimes even just re do the whole thing the actor did, if the director feels like it. I dont mind the tech at all cause it helps the other actors to act to something instead of a tennis ball , it makes the overall process better for the non mo cap actors. But i think a voice over performance alone can give an equally great performance, unless you get some one like Daniel Day Lewis who makes amazing acting choices and is such an expert in his craft.

Serkis, i dont see him even close to that level, he is good, but his over reliance on this tech is becoming something of a joke. Performance capture expert actor? what does even that even? acting is acting. I think he knows how to use it and knows that the vfx crew will do most of the heavy lifting of the performance in the end, i think is were his strength relies. I dont like taking him away anything as an actor but his comments about the vfx crew that works with him are just of such a bad taste for the most part, compared to someone like sharlto copley who gives the proper props to the crew that works with him and knows that movies is always a cooperative process, he is a real class act that guy.

Serkis doesn't acknowledges this , he wants the glory only for himself for some strange reason (winning an oscar obsession , who knows), it really doesnt cost anything to thank a crew that works with you and that are getting paid WAY less and go through horrible hours many times to get the work done. You could show more class and that why he rubs me the wrong way all the time and that why i dont like seeing him in SW specially. I hope in the interviews doesnt come off like an ass again and changes his speech a little more.

And i really really want to see an actor like Jeremy Irons, DDL, Merily Streep in one of this suits, and see how they perform and think about it. When that happens i think we will see really really impressive stuff

Snorks, like the underwater smurfs!

Exactly!, i hope its a first name or code name or something, cause Snoke it feels weird, Phasma as well sounds not very intimidating honestly. But the rest of the names sound all right to me, but those 2 im not feeling it yet

Exactly!, i hope its a first name or code name or something, cause Snoke it feels weird, Phasma as well sounds not very intimidating honestly. But the rest of the names sound all right to me, but those 2 im not feeling it yet

To be fair, Boba Fett is a silly name.

The idea of Emperor Palpatine version 2.0 is disappointing.

It sounds like treading in old territory (again), i really dont want to see that and that what im afraid this movie is going to be about, lots of 2.0 characters of the OT. So far is shaping like that and i want to see something really really fresh

I laugh when people say they want something fresh. The PT had "an evil leader" of an evil army as well. That's Star Wars. You might as well complain that all Comic Book movies have a villain that needs to be defeated. Characterization changes everything. On broad strokes most movies are the same.

I laugh when people say they want something fresh. The PT had "an evil leader" of an evil army as well. That's Star Wars. You might as well complain that all Comic Book movies have a villain that needs to be defeated. Characterization changes everything. On broad strokes most movies are the same.

But in the PT it was Palpatine! it was darth sidious, his rise to power, it was a prequel telling a story of a character we already know, its different, but yeah i agree, its part of the SW backbone

Now its a sequel, of course you need a super leader or something like that, an antagonist. But i dont want a copy of sidious, i want other motivations, hell he cant even not be a Sith! something totally new with the dark side.

I expect antagonist and clear antagonists, this is star wars after all, but i dont want another palpatine, that only wants power for the sake or power like the sith, always greedy, always wanting more material stuff. I hope we get another motivation for this guy

LOL then what do you want the villain to desire? That is the motive of most villains, in anything, they want control, and power. Simple. It's nothing more. You keep trying to act that they are the same, this is where character subtleties come in. You always have the puppet master or the leader. No matter what. I love how people never complain about these things with any other sequels or genres, but somehow you keep trying to use the terrible "nostalgia" point. That and we have no idea of the details of this character. I love how you say you worry of the nostalgia but desire old characters like Luke and ones from the PT to fill up the film.

We have no idea what Snoke's motivations are. But in all the EU TCW ect, what do the bad guys want? Money, power, their viewpoint shoved into everyone else faces. It's what a villain does.

Palpatine was the best thing about the prequels. To be honest, I found him much more interesting as a realistic sly politician subtly manipulating people than a cackling, hand rubbing Disney villain.

The scene with Palpatine and Anakin at the opera is in my opinion one of the best in the entire franchise. And I don't even like the Prequels.

Palpatine was the best thing about the prequels. To be honest, I found him much more interesting as a sly politician subtly manipulating people than a cackling, hand rubbing Disney villain.
tumblr_inline_nk6dktL5Ld1t0citu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back