Andy Serkis to Direct 'Mowgli' For WB

Saw A:IW in first week, (Monday) I was surprised I liked Josh Brolin's Thanos a lot. :D

I have few issues with the movie but it was very enjoyable. :up: Haven't seen DP:2 yet.

Glad that you liked A:IW. I'll see both next weekend. Then it'll be long wait for JW:FK. :D :D

I'm curious how it would look on big screen.

Probably good but it does need a lot of improvements.

BTDubz, as far a vfx companies are concerned MPC + Weta (TJB) >> DNeg + Framestore (Mowgli). So it does not bode well for the latter. :p :o

Used to watch ST: TNG and ST:Voyager episodes on Star World many years ago.

Wtf?? I don't believe it. Did you actually like it??

My watch-list (Star World) mainly consisted of Two and a Half Men, Criminal Minds, The Simpsons, HIMYM & Modern Family.

WB never should have gone ahead with this. I don't even think this came into play until about a year after the Disney version was announced.

Actually, this one was announced a year before Disney announced TJB. WB/Serkis deliberately delayed the release to avoid comparisons with TJB.

I'm a fan of Serkis as well, but you're right. WB never should have gone ahead with this. I don't even think this came into play until about a year after the Disney version was announced. Granted, the Disney version is very far removed from Kipling's book, but the general audience won't care.

The original idea for this film came about in 2012, and Andy Serkis got hired to direct in 2013, at least a year or so before the Disney version even entered production; Disney just works faster and Serkis understandably didn't want to directly compete with it by having them come out at the same time. I think the need to distance itself from Disney is why the BTS and trailer commentary videos were released simultaneously with the trailer itself; if the trailer didn't do it, then they really hammer home how much this is not a Disney-related product, and I think the more people see that difference and how it relates to the books, the more open they'll be to this version.

The original idea for this film came about in 2012, and Andy Serkis got hired to direct in 2013, at least a year or so before the Disney version even entered production; Disney just works faster and Serkis understandably didn't want to directly compete with it by having them come out at the same time.

Ah, gotcha :up:

I think the need to distance itself from Disney is why the BTS and trailer commentary videos were released simultaneously with the trailer itself; if the trailer didn't do it, then they really hammer home how much this is not a Disney-related product, and I think the more people see that difference and how it relates to the books, the more open they'll be to this version.

Unfortunately I don't think enough people are going to do that.

Most will see this trailer in theaters, cock their eyebrow because they remember seeing a Jungle Book movie just two years ago, and then promptly write it off.

Actually, this one was announced a year before Disney announced TJB. WB/Serkis deliberately delayed the release to avoid comparisons with TJB.

I feel bad for him because this feels like a passion project to him and he got outplayed by Disney.

You snooze you lose in Hollywood. Disney hasn't slept for a while now.

This all boils down to the fact that Disney's version of family oriented Jungle Book is more popular in US than Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, which Serkis' movie is based on.

Last edited:
I feel bad for him because this feels like a passion project to him and he got outplayed by Disney.

Yeah :(

This all boils down to the fact that Disney's version of family oriented Jungle Book is more popular than Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, which Serkis' movie is based on.

Eh.... it mostly boils down to Disney getting there first.

This movie does look interesting and has a lot of potential. But it doesn't matter, as we just got a wildly successful Jungle Book movie.

So what, apparently there can only be one interpretation of a particular story or tale and nothing else after that for...what, a decade or something?

This all boils down to the fact that Disney's version of family oriented Jungle Book is more popular in US than Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, which Serkis' movie is based on.

It's not so much Disney getting there first as it is almost like them holding a monopoly. The only successful adaptations of the story have been Disney versions.

Nah, it doesn't matter that Disney made a Jungle Book movie first, had they made it after WB's Jungle Book, Disney's version of Jungle Book would still be more successful as it is the more popular version of Jungle Book for people in US.

So what, apparently there can only be one interpretation of a particular story or tale and nothing else after that for...what, a decade or something?

No, but if you do something like this then you're really rolling the dice.

Nah, it doesn't matter that Disney made a Jungle Book movie first

Of course it does.

If WB had gotten there first it could have succeeded on it's own merits and, given the amount of talent behind it, likely would have done well. But that didn't happen.

And for the record I didn't care for Favraeu's Jungle Book and, judging by this trailer, the new one looks like the Jungle Book I'd rather watch.

Animals remind me of The Neverending Story and The Dark Crystal.

I had zero interest for Disney film (didn't watch it), can't say they swayed me with this one, but it certainly looks more original.

I will probably watch it, but I have never been that into the Jungle Book story. I did enjoy the Disney one that recently came out. Another take on the story is fine but some may be confused. I know I was at first, thought it was a sequel with a different name. Then I saw the WB logo and the actors names were not the same. I didn't know if it was the same kid though since it has been awhile.

Here's a side by side comparison of TJB & Mowgli:

eO843jBC_o.jpg

What sound does the Derp Wolf make? "Derrrrrpppp!"

I for one can't wait to see this movie. Andy Serkis is wonderful in damn near everything I have seen him in.

So I have faith he will make this different enough so that it stand on its own two feet.

Also think the CGI argument is getting blown out of proportion yeah Shere Khan looked better in Favreau's version and the Wolf lets not even talk about that lol but I think Bagheera & Baloo look better in this.

I just... I don't know in what way the Serkis ones look better then the Jungle Book ones. The Serkis ones don't look more expressive imo, and they also look clearly fake. And that is not getting into how effective the CGI is in the film itself. Because in the Jungle Book, it was pretty masterful imo.

It's a bit unfair to compare them with that pic I posted since the TJB ones are from the finished product and probably from the movie itself while the Mowgli ones are from the first trailer which has unfinished CGI. But the graphics rendering of the animals in TJB looks impeccable. So Mowgli has a tall order in front it to match up-to TJB's standards in the particular department and it's starting off in the wrong foot what with DNeg & Framestore being the primary vfx shops working on the movie. MPC & WETA worked on TJB and this combination is far better than Mowgli's ones.

First Jungle Book trailer:

[YT]HcgJRQWxKnw[/YT]

I just... I don't know in what way the Serkis ones look better then the Jungle Book ones. The Serkis ones don't look more expressive imo, and they also look clearly fake. And that is not getting into how effective the CGI is in the film itself. Because in the Jungle Book, it was pretty masterful imo.

I don't know; creature design aside, the Disney ones are definitely nicer, more detailed models but they never feel present in the close-up shots. To me anyway, the WB ones feel more solid, like the in the trailer shot with Shere Khan walking and dragging his deformed paw.

I liked the Mowgli trailer more than that TJB one. :ninja: :ninja: BTDubz, is TJB any good?? I could do with some fun animal interactions. :D :D It's kinda shocking that I haven't seen TJB yet considering it was the highest grossing hollywood movie in my country (lots of nostalgia tho!!!!!!!) for 2 years before A:IW beat it to the top spot. The movie is wildly popular in here, so much so that it has aired in dubbed local versions. That's uncharted territory for hollywood movies.

I don't know; creature design aside, the Disney ones are definitely nicer, more detailed models but they never feel present in the close-up shots. To me anyway, the WB ones feel more solid, like the in the trailer shot with Shere Khan walking and dragging his deformed paw.
I just can't see it.

[YT]1balYmgY0EM[/YT]

I liked the Mowgli trailer more than that TJB one. :ninja: :ninja: BTDubz, is TJB any good?? I could do with some fun animal interactions. :D :D It's kinda shocking that I haven't seen TJB yet considering it was the highest grossing hollywood movie in my country (lots of nostalgia tho!!!!!!!) for 2 years before A:IW beat it to the top spot. The movie is wildly popular in here, so much so that it has aired in dubbed local versions. That's uncharted territory for hollywood movies.
It's really good, but i really think it's one of those movies you have to see in the theater to see the greatness of the SFX.

But as someone who thought it would be bad, it's a really enjoyable movie. Real nice to watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"