Animated Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen Two-Parter coming 2018/2019

Yup expect more superman animated movies to be made in the coming years as a result. I am hoping for a 'superman lives' adaptation (now that Cage has already voiced our boy), a red son adaptation (duh!) and an adaptation of Grant morrison's Action comics#9 with Calvin Ellis as superman (never gonna happen but hey one can dream!)

While I'm at it i would love to see adaptation of 'gauntlet' and 'black mirror', both great Dick Grayson stories since he's my second favorite character ever and 'bad blood' was terrible.

Promotional artwork for the movie by Alon Chou:

tumblr_pdn6q1b1tc1qkchcvo1_r2_1280.png

https://i.redd.it/wmp2s4v7xqg11.jpg
(Open for large image)

Last edited:
Yup expect more superman animated movies to be made in the coming years as a result. I am hoping for a 'superman lives' adaptation (now that Cage has already voiced our boy), a red son adaptation (duh!) and an adaptation of Grant morrison's Action comics#9 with Calvin Ellis as superman (never gonna happen but hey one can dream!)

While I'm at it i would love to see adaptation of 'gauntlet' and 'black mirror', both great Dick Grayson stories since he's my second favorite character ever and 'bad blood' was terrible.

I wouldn’t expect Superman Lives, it’s the Death of Superman story yet again. I don’t see them touching that for years if at all.

I wouldn’t expect Superman Lives, it’s the Death of Superman story yet again. I don’t see them touching that for years if at all.

Neither would I but I would still like to see it, they have been talking seriously about it for a while (according to the director of batman/scooby doo).

No way it outsells Superman Doomsday, but I'm glad both Gotham by Gaslight and this seem to be selling well this year.

More Elseworlds and Superman is always a good thing. But seriously, let's stop killing him now.

Just finished watching this for the first time 5 minutes ago and really enjoyed it. Not sure yet whether I prefer it to Superman: Doomsday - I'll have to think on it - but obviously a more faithful adaptation. I thought the voice acting was all on point (including O'Connell, who doesn't always convince me). Animation struck me as a bit 'choppy' at times but I thought it was generally pretty good. Overall I'll give an 8/10. Looking forward to Reign of the Supermen.

This just proves the DCEU shot themselves in the foot by doing a half assed adaptation of this story so early on

Can’t wait for part II! This is a return to form for DC animation

watched this a few days ago. loved it. better than the condensed Superman: Doomsday film some years ago ( though I liked that one, too ).

and WAY better than how Doomsday was used in BvS. In fact, this film, to me, further magnifies the problems of BvS and the DCEU as a whole.

in this film, Superman behaves like how Superman is supposed to. The world treats him like how they're supposed to. His relationship with Batman and the rest of the JL is how it's supposed to be.

They used Doomsday way too early in the DCEU. He should have been saved for AFTER BvS and JL and a MOS sequel. Superman should have been more established as a beloved hero to the world and have a strong bond with the JL. as well as a stronger relationship with Lois. THEN you use Doomsday.

so, I'm looking forward to Part 2 with Superboy. and I'm actually hoping we get an animated Supergirl film in this universe. I'd really love to see that.

watched this a few days ago. loved it. better than the condensed Superman: Doomsday film some years ago ( though I liked that one, too ).

and WAY better than how Doomsday was used in BvS. In fact, this film, to me, further magnifies the problems of BvS and the DCEU as a whole.

in this film, Superman behaves like how Superman is supposed to. The world treats him like how they're supposed to. His relationship with Batman and the rest of the JL is how it's supposed to be.

They used Doomsday way too early in the DCEU. He should have been saved for AFTER BvS and JL and a MOS sequel. Superman should have been more established as a beloved hero to the world and have a strong bond with the JL. as well as a stronger relationship with Lois. THEN you use Doomsday.

so, I'm looking forward to Part 2 with Superboy. and I'm actually hoping we get an animated Supergirl film in this universe. I'd really love to see that.

Agree with pretty much every word :up: I like MoS and BvS but I'm not blind to the problems. As I was watching this I was thinking 'This is how I like to see the JL interact'. There was some amusing banter (especially in the JL meeting :funny:) but it didn't detract from what at the end of the day is a pretty serious storyline. Definitely looking forward to Reign of the Supermen, and an animated Supergirl solo would be very nice to see.

This just proves the DCEU shot themselves in the foot by doing a half assed adaptation of this story so early on

Can’t wait for part II! This is a return to form for DC animation

Sorry but that’s bullcrap. Superman Doomsday is still easily the highest selling one of all these no other DTV has come close to it. This new version is doing very well too so they really didn’t shoot themselves in the foot. Infact they produced more earnings.

Agree 100% & I love MOS and like BvS a lot. Just imagine how great this film would have been in live action.

Sorry but that’s bullcrap. Superman Doomsday is still easily the highest selling one of all these no other DTV has come close to it. This new version is doing very well too so they really didn’t shoot themselves in the foot. Infact they produced more earnings.

Huh? When did I bring up Superman Doomsday? I'm saying the DCEU screwed themselves by doing the death of Superman too early in BvS, and this movie shows us why. The DCEU should've saved this storyline for later so they could do it properly. Also, the primary reason Superman Doomsday did so well is because it was the first DC Universe Original Animated Movie and there was a lot of money put into the marketing.

Huh? When did I bring up Superman Doomsday? I'm saying the DCEU screwed themselves by doing the death of Superman too early in BvS, and this movie shows us why. The DCEU should've saved this storyline for later so they could do it properly. Also, the primary reason Superman Doomsday did so well is because it was the first DC Universe Original Animated Movie and there was a lot of money put into the marketing.

Sorry I misread as DCU :facepalm: my apologies

Okay, just rewatched Superman: Doomsday. I still really like it. SD does a good job having to condense the story down to one 70ish minute movie, but TDoS has the obvious luxury of being spread over two movies so can flesh out the events more and present the whole thing on a much larger scale. I rate the big fight/showdown in each pretty evenly. But overall this is the one. I hope RotS is as good.

We had three Superman animated films that dealt with Superman's death - Superman: Doomsday, All-Star Superman, and Death of Superman. There are lots of Superman stories to adapt for animated movie form like Red Son, Kingdom Come, Earth Stealers, Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, Man of Steel, etc.

Seeing the preview for Reign of the Supermen and how Superboy looks, I would like to see an animated movie based on Super Sons with Reign of the Supermen Superboy and Robin Damian Wayne.

No way it outsells Superman Doomsday, but I'm glad both Gotham by Gaslight and this seem to be selling well this year.

More Elseworlds and Superman is always a good thing. But seriously, let's stop killing him now.

Agreed on all counts.

Does anyone know if they will sell Parts 1+2 together when Part 2 comes out to buy, as I'm currently hanging back on buying Part 1 for that reason.

Does anyone know if they will sell Parts 1+2 together when Part 2 comes out to buy, as I'm currently hanging back on buying Part 1 for that reason.

I doubt it, they could do a full movie together same as the Dark Knight Returns later on down the line but the sequel will have to sell well for that to happen. Failing that if both do well they may package them together down the line but Reign will come out on its own first no matter what.

Watched this last week and thought it was great. Wasn’t sure going in because originally I thought it was going to be a straight up adaption like TDKR was. But even with it being set in the New 52 universe they did it very very well IMO.

Okay, just rewatched Superman: Doomsday. I still really like it. SD does a good job having to condense the story down to one 70ish minute movie, but TDoS has the obvious luxury of being spread over two movies so can flesh out the events more and present the whole thing on a much larger scale. I rate the big fight/showdown in each pretty evenly. But overall this is the one. I hope RotS is as good.

I still like "Superman: Doomsday" and to me even though they have the same basic plot they are still very different. The character stuff in 'Doomsday' is different- Lois and Clark in more of a long-term relationship, more of Jimmy, Lois and Perry in the Daily Planet, the approach to Lex etc. Just that the 'Doomsday' plot is truncated and the Superman clone being in charge stuff is probably the weakest part of the movie and not really a great replacement for what they have the freedom now to do in "Reign of the Supermen."

In The Death of Superman, there's a scene where Clark and Lois are sitting and eating with Jonathan and Martha Kent. Martha says something like, "First there was Lenna, she was a lovely girl came around every so often... not like Pete Ross, he came over every day." And then Jonathan says something like, "I always wondered about that boy."

Are they insinuating that Clark experimented with dating boys in middle or high school? ...Maybe I'm interpreting this scene wrong. It just caught me off guard. Very progressive of them.

In The Death of Superman, there's a scene where Clark and Lois are sitting and eating with Jonathan and Martha Kent. Martha says something like, "First there was Lenna, she was a lovely girl came around every so often... not like Pete Ross, he came over every day." And then Jonathan says something like, "I always wondered about that boy."

Are they insinuating that Clark experimented with dating boys in middle or high school? ...Maybe I'm interpreting this scene wrong. It just caught me off guard. Very progressive of them.

You're interpreting it wrong, she's just saying that his mate came over more than his girlfriend that's all. Like he was annoying. Jonathan probably does think that Pete was maybe gay but that's probably just because he kept on coming round. It's not saying that Clark dated him.

You're interpreting it wrong, she's just saying that his mate came over more than his girlfriend that's all. Like he was annoying. Jonathan probably does think that Pete was maybe gay but that's probably just because he kept on coming round. It's not saying that Clark dated him.

Exactly how I read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"