Anime Series Recommendations?

Happenstance

Sidekick
Reaction score
Right ive been watching a lot of anime again recently both the movies and series.
Im in the mood for a new series to watch and could use some recommendations. Ive watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Street Fighter II V. Also bits of Ghost In The Shell and Naruto but I wasnt a massive fan of those.

Any suggestions on what to go for next would be great, more than one if possible so I can move on from one to the next.

EDIT: Also if you could briefly say what the series are about that'd be helpful! :p

Hellsing
Wolf's Rain
Onegai Teacher
Love Hina
Great Teacher Onizuka
Fooli Cooli
Read or Die

if you liked Trigun then watch Rurouni Kenshin, it's very similar.

I suggest you go watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

It appears to start out as a regular mecha anime,but the plot becomes more intricate as the show evolves.One recommendation.When you finish episode 24,don't go to episode 25,go watch End of Evangelion,the alternate ending.Much prefferable,trust me on this.

*long and spoilerish*

In 2000, a group of scientists conducted an expedition in Antarctica where a large being of light, deemed by them as the first Angel,Adam, was discovered. On September 13an attempt was made to capture it which ended in apparent failure when it proceeded to self-destruct, creating what would be called the Second Impact. The true nature of the Second Impact was concealed from the general public, who was led to believe that the devastation was caused by a small meteorite traveling close to the speed of light, impacting in Antarctica.
In the conflict with Angels, mankind is represented by the mysterious organizations NERV,GEHIRN(which started out as the investigation team for the Second Impact but became NERV later on), Seele, and the Marduk Institute. NERV is, in theory, under the control of SEELE, but NERV has its own agenda, driven by its commander Gendou Ikari. NERV carries out two tasks: to defend the Earth from Angel attack with a small number of Evangelions (Evas), and the Instrumetality Project, which, according to Gendou, is the path to becoming one with God.
The Evas have the outward appearance of massive humanoid robots and can apparently be piloted only by children conceived after the Second Impact. Pilots are selected by the Marduk Institute, which is later discovered to be composed of about 108 ghost companies, but Gendou Ikari and Ritsuko Akagi are actually in charge of selecting pilots. It is frequently speculated that qualifying pilots must have lost a mother, whose soul is used as the soul of the Eva. (This has been debated due to the probability that Rei is a clone of Yui and therefore doesn't have a technical 'mother' but some fans believe that Yui's soul was split between Unit 00 and Unit 01. This theory coincides with Rei and Shinji's ability to synchronize with each other's Evas.) The Evas also appear to behave under the influence of the soul inside it. One example is when Unit 01 goes "berserk," acts without control of its pilot or NERV and refuses to shut down (or in one instance, to start without Shinji). Unit 00 goes berserk and lashes out at the tormentors of Ritsuko Akagi's mother, apparently attempting to kill Rei. Though unit 02 does not ever go truly berserk, Asuka says in "The End of Evangelion" that she feels the presence of her mother protecting her in the Eva. The term "berserk" really only befits the actions of Unit 00; Unit 01's actions were focused, restrained, and beneficial to Nerv's missions.
Each Eva has its own designated pilot, due to the bond between the pilot's soul and the soul of the Eva; otherwise, any other person who tries to synchronize (simply put, to technically work as one mind) with the Eva is more likely to be refused. That is not to say that it is impossible to synchronize in such a situation, as is shown in an experiment in Episode 14, in which Rei and Shinji synchronize with each others' Evas. It is later apparent that the Evas are not really "robots" but rather living, biomechanical organisms, in contrary to the popular belief of the general public. While Ritsuko does mention at the beginning of the series that the Evas do have some biological components to them, the extent to which the Evas are biological is not immediately apparent; it is finally revealed, towards the end of the series, that Evas are essentially Angels (made from Adam, the first Angel, except unit 01 which is almost certainly made from Lilith, the second Angel) onto which mechanical components are incorporated during its creation — part of the reason being to restrain and control them.
The secret second task, the Human Instrumentality Project, intends to start an artificial evolution of mankind. Considering the religious implications of the term evangelion this event was said to bring about the salvation of mankind in the context of a newly created Earth and humanity's becoming one with God. SEELE is the main driving force behind this project, for reasons unknown, but they mention that humanity must evolve or it will die, thus the need for a forced evolution. This artificial evolution strives to merge all human souls into one by disposing the individuals of their AT Fields that separate egos from each other. This causes their bodies to revert to .LCL When everyone comes to this state, they will no longer feel the pain or loneliness that would typically precipitate from interaction between humans; it is comparable, but not equal, to death.

You'll understand if you watch.

Also,Hellsing is a must see.I'll just give you a link to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellsing

KingOfDreams said:
Hellsing
Wolf's Rain
Love Hina
Great Teacher Onizuka
:up: :up:

Wolf's rain is so awesome.. Never knew why I didn't see it before:confused:

Happenstance said:
Right ive been watching a lot of anime again recently both the movies and series.
Im in the mood for a new series to watch and could use some recommendations. Ive watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Street Fighter II V. Also bits of Ghost In The Shell and Naruto but I wasnt a massive fan of those.

Any suggestions on what to go for next would be great, more than one if possible so I can move on from one to the next.

EDIT: Also if you could briefly say what the series are about that'd be helpful! :p
man, I shoulda been the one to start this thread...

based on what you said you liked, I agree that you need to see Evanglion

I also recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed Gantz. Gantz is a hyperviolent series that begins with two highschools students being run over by a train while helping someone who fell on the tracks. After their bodies are torn apart, they suddenly appear in a small apartment over looking Tokyo. The room is barren, except for several other people, who all relate that they each just died as well, and a large black sphere. The people are confused, and do not know what's going on. The Black Sphere begins to sing, then text appears on it instructing them to go assassinate what appear to be aliens. the balls sides pop open to reveal a rack of guns. The people in the room are then trasported to a location near their targets. Those that survive the night are healed of their wounds, given "points" and released, until the sphere holds another game and brings them back to the room.

That's the basic set up, but there's several fascinating aspects to the series. One is that it goes very slowly and indepth. Across 24 episodes, the main characters only engage in 4 missions. The sphere, called Gantz, never tells them anything about why they're there, what it is, or what the aliens they're hunting really are. Much time is spent concentrating on the characters in their day-to-day, usually miserable lives outside of playing the game. In fact, I've never seen anything that goes to such spectacular lengths to establish the main character as a complete scumbag.

The violence is intense, and the nudity is frequent, but the extremism of the content seems to make the underlying messages of what's going with these people all the more vibrant. Visually, the series and its animation are top notch.

There's a slim case box set collection that has, I think, the first 12 episodes and I've seen for only $45 at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, that would be a pretty good bargain for you. Here's some pics from the series:
img_front.jpg

and here's the opening credits, which're pretty badass
http://youtube.com/watch?v=B7OX49WQJQQ&search=gantz opening

I'll give some of those a try then thanks everyone for your help, i'll most likely end up getting boxsets off ebay as here in the UK you just dont seem to be able to get many anime boxsets.

So far i'll start with (in no order):

Hellsing
Wolf's Rain
Samurai Champloo
Gantz
Hellsing

Neon Genesis Evangelion is one ive considered over and over again, im not a big fan of mech anime but ive heard so many good things about it I figured I should at least give it a shot. From what I remember though I may have got confused on the order of it.

The rest i'll look up on an anime site and if I like the sound I'll get around to getting those aswell.

Thanks again everyone

Read or Die is a must see, but you gotta watch the movie first. Lots o' fighten with paper! Trust us, it rox!

Duz anyone know where Yamiko picked up that English accent for the series. She didn't have it for the movie. :confused:

Oh and you gotta watch Galaxy Angel :D Halarious!! 5 females (ages varry) who are halarious. They're sposd to be looking for lost technology which no one knows anything about. It's in the future but they always get off track, and often take other jobs since they don't hve much to do. Funny stuff and great animation :up:

Happenstance said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is one ive considered over and over again, im not a big fan of mech anime but ive heard so many good things about it I figured I should at least give it a shot. From what I remember though I may have got confused on the order of it.
NGE is NOT a mech series. Yes it has mechs in it, but it is nothing like Gundam, Robotech, Big O, Voltron, or other series like that. It is on a completely different level.

actually, it's probably on seven completely different levels

vengeance got overly complicated with his explanation. Just watch the series

KingOfDreams said:
Oh, and I forgot Samurai Champloo.
I keep meaning to watch more of Champloo, but I've only gotten through the first disc.

To tell the curious a little more about it, Samurai Champloo takes place in fuedal japan, and is from the creators of Cowboy Bebop. The main characters are two Samurai, one a wild rogue and the other a disciplined Ronin, and a young waitress they become indebted to. I haven't watched enough of the series to know if there's any over acring plot, as the early stories seem self contained as the group journeys. The fighting and action scenes are grogeous to behold, beautifully animated, and often set to a hip-hop soundtrack, for a very intense effect.

champloo_01.jpg

Elijya said:
I keep meaning to watch more of Champloo, but I've only gotten through the first disc.

To tell the curious a little more about it, Samurai Champloo takes place in fuedal japan, and is from the creators of Cowboy Bebop. The main characters are two Samurai, one a wild rogue and the other a disciplined Ronin, and a young waitress they become indebted to. I haven't watched enough of the series to know if there's any over acring plot, as the early stories seem self contained as the group journeys. The fighting and action scenes are grogeous to behold, beautifully animated, and often set to a hip-hop soundtrack, for a very intense effect.

The story is that Fuu gets Mugen and Jin to help her track down the "Sunflower Samurai"..............called that cuz he smells like sunflowers.

I've been curious as well. Are there any ones currently on Adult Swim that's good right now? Since I'm on a budget, that's pretty much my only refuge for anime. :(

Samurai Champloo is on Adult Swim right now I believe.

MaskedManJRK said:
I've been curious as well. Are there any ones currently on Adult Swim that's good right now? Since I'm on a budget, that's pretty much my only refuge for anime. :(

Champloo, Eva, and Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig are the best at the moment.

Reruns of Trigun and stuff are good too.

Tsunulia said:
Champloo, Eva, and Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig are the best at the moment.

Reruns of Trigun and stuff are good too.

I've been trying to watch Eva, but I usually fall asleep before it starts or don't wake up early enough to catch it. :(

But you know the line: when at first you don't succeed...

MaskedManJRK said:
I've been trying to watch Eva, but I usually fall asleep before it starts or don't wake up early enough to catch it. :(

But you know the line: when at first you don't succeed...

Then sleep during the day :)

MaskedManJRK said:
Yeah, but more than the majority of my days involve school, so that sucks. :(

How is that stopping you? :confused: I always slept in class :D

Tsunulia said:
How is that stopping you? :confused: I always slept in class :D

Impossible for two reasons:

1. Since I made national honor roll, my mom's been up my ass when it comes to my schoolwork.

2. Those damn desks are impossible to sleep in.

MaskedManJRK said:
Impossible for two reasons:

1. Since I made national honor roll, my mom's been up my ass when it comes to my schoolwork.

2. Those damn desks are impossible to sleep in.

Honor roll??!!!!!! How did you manage that one? :confused:

You need to learn how to be a slacker :D Great fun :D

Oh ............. you can fall asleep in any desk, you just have to figure out the perfect position :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"