The Dark Knight another New heath ledger interview

superkong 500

Sidekick
Reaction score
by Daniel Robert Epstein

I recently got the chance to talk with Heath Ledger at a press roundtable for the movie Candy. While on the hot seat I got the chance to grill Ledger about his upcoming role of The Joker in The Dark Knight.

Daniel Robert Epstein: Have you started to think about how you will play The Joker?

Heath Ledger: Yeah. I’ve been trying to delay my commitment to the preparation process on that because I’m trying to extend my holiday time. I definitely have an image in my head. I definitely have something up my sleeve. I want to be very sinister. It’s so early that I’m trying to be open at this point. I don’t want to be glued down to anyone.

DRE: Have you read many Batman comics?

HL: No and I think that’s kind of helping me a little bit. I was never really a fan of comic books or comic book movies. I never despised them but I was never one to read them. I never sought out the films but I would sit down and enjoy them. So because of that I really feel that I’m not carrying much pressure.

DRE: Have they given or asked you to read certain comics?

HL: The Killing Joke was the one that was handed to me. I think it’s going to be the beginning of The Joker. I guess that book explains a little bit of where he’s from but not too much. From what I’ve gathered, there isn’t a lot of information about The Joker and it’s left that way.

DRE: Is doing the role of The Joker scary after Jack Nicholson did it so well?

HL: I’m not going for the same thing he went for. That would be stupid. It is also two very different directors with different styles. Tim Burton did a more fantastical kind of thing and Chris Nolan is doing nitty gritty handheld realism. I love what [Jack] did and that is part of why I want to do that role. I remember seeing it and thinking how much fun it would be to put on that mask and attempt to do something along those lines. But it would obviously be murder if I tried to imitate what he did.

DRE: They’re talking about bringing in the co-creator of The Joker, Jerry Robinson, as a consultant on The Dark Knight. I don’t know if it would be more of an honorary title.

HL: It probably is [laughs].

DRE: Have you ever wanted to do superhero movies before?

HL: Not really. With the tights and undies and the boots, I would just feel stupid and silly. I couldn’t pull it off and there are other people who can perfectly. But I just couldn’t take myself seriously. I feel like this is an opportunity to be in one and not do that. I just gravitated towards the villain role because I felt I had something to give to it. I instantly had an idea.

DRE: Have you done screen tests with The Joker makeup yet?

HL: No, but I did do 3-D image scanning. I don’t know what they’re doing with it. This Bat truck turned up at my place in L.A.. It had these gadgets and cameras that zoom around you and up and down you. It instantly projects a three dimensional image of you. I’ve never used anything that high tech before in a film. I felt like I was in the truck from Knight Rider.

good interview . . . sounds like somebody whispered in his ear about that comment he had made about comic book movies in the past ("I like fkn hate them", or something along those lines he said)

why would they scan his face unless they were planning for facial prostetics?

:)

Silver Souper said:

CGI.

Rynan said:
And then a cold fear swept through the Batman boards...

Nolan isn't a fan of CGI. It probably is prosthetics. ;)

whoa there Heath

be careful

you'll back pedal right into that wall

Silver Souper said:

I'm sure there'll be a small amount of prosthetics, but nothing too much. No frozen smiles or anything like that. I'm thinking minor tweaking to his nose and maybe chin.

But we'll see. No worries.

Miranda Fox said:
Doesn't change anything. Sometimes it's necessary. They used a full CGI model of Bale in Batman Begins.

It maybe possible they are using the scan for make-up tests.

DeFett said:
It maybe possible they are using the scan for make-up tests.
Yeah that's probably the most likely. Test to see what works and what doesn't.

Boom said:
Doesn't change anything. Sometimes it's necessary. They used a full CGI model of Bale in Batman Begins.
Good point - but leads to the question why CGI would be necessary for with Heath's face. I doubt it's for the look.

Make-up tests, prosthetics. Where CGI might be necessary. I don't know if they're planning to do a mold of Ledger's face or just use the scan.

Miranda Fox said:
Good point - but leads to the question why CGI would be necessary for with Heath's face. I doubt it's for the look.
I wouldn't know. I haven't read the script ;).

Boom said:
I wouldn't know. I haven't read the script ;).
I can get it for you - all I need is a cocktail dress and a crowbar. *end Simpsons reference*

I like the makeup test idea. :up:

zer00 said:
Make-up tests, prosthetics. Where CGI might be necessary. I don't know if they're planning to do a mold of Ledger's face or just use the scan.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Fantastic news in any case. I wasn't sure if Nolan was just going to use white make-up and leave Heath's face as is. Glad to know they're at least looking to test appearances, which most likely does mean prosthetics.

And handing him TKJ? Golden. :up:

I am pretty sure there will be some minor prosthetics. And I wouldn't doubt they are scanning him in case they need it for CGI. Nolan might not be a big fan of it but he does use it when he has to.

superkong 500 said:
DRE: Have you read many Batman comics?

HL: No and I think that’s kind of helping me a little bit.

Totally Heath, baby. Truer words were never said.

Oh and you sound so cool being respectful and everything. :cwink:

I think its pretty simple, the 3-D scan could be like some have said here for make-up tests, they would do a digital rendering of prostetic make-up to see what would work with heath's face structure so when he finaly does the make-up tests they know what kind of make-up design would fit his face better, that would save some time.

they might of used the scan to create a mold of his face to sculpt on without having to do a tedious plaster casting.

Miranda Fox said:

yup, and also CGI wouldn't be getting started this early- that usually ramps up during early production (shooting). they're in the modeling/design phase, so i do think it's prostetics.

They do scanning for CGI before filming not after. And usually CGI is worked on during production in most cases. As well as post.

superkong 500 said:
I think its pretty simple, the 3-D scan could be like some have said here for make-up tests, they would do a digital rendering of prostetic make-up to see what would work with heath's face structure so when he finaly does the make-up tests they know what kind of make-up design would fit his face better, that would save some time.

and i include your description along with prostetics. probably conceptual testing/makeup/appearance/prostetics, all those ingredients involved with the character's appearance. i highly doubt it has to do with elaborate CGI.

Elaborate CGI? no ****. I don't remember Joker being able to fly. Slight CGI for Joker in one or two cases I could see. Places where they'd have to use CGI Batman again. Oh wait....Batman was never CGI in BB:o LALALALALAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"