The Dark Knight Heath Ledger Interview(Just finished filming)

S

sLauGhTeR

Interview: Heath Ledger
The Joker

Heath Ledger on The Joker

By Bob Strauss

When Heath Ledger called from New York last November, he was enthusiastic about his just-completed role as The Joker in Christopher Nolan’s latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight.

But he was also a little defensive about the whole thing. Several years earlier, the Australian actor had quite publicly walked away from mainstream Hollywood to concentrate on artistically fulfilling independent films.

This paid off spectacularly for Ledger, earning him an Oscar nomination for the beloved Brokeback Mountain and making him a bigger star than ever.

So he felt a tad guilty about taking the big budget, comic book movie job. But portraying the classic maniac was also the most enjoyable thing he’d ever done.

“I spent a lot of time with Chris beforehand, going over different looks,” Ledger said of the deformed villain with the harlequin face. The first shots of The Joker’s smeared, cadaverous makeup had just hit the web and the response had been mixed, so the actor felt he had some explaining to do.

“It’s very hard to sum up or capture what I was doing in one photo,” Ledger admitted. “There’s not really one angle or one look or one expression or a freezed frame that looks to me like what you’re going to see in the film.

I barely sit still for a moment like that to exist!

joker2.july08.jpg

Heath Ledger's Joker with Christian Bale's Batman in The Dark Knight

“So I think it’s healthy and I think it’s correct for people to have mixed feelings, because I do when I see those still images. It doesn’t look like what we’re going to see. And I think that’s a good thing, in a way, that something can’t be summarized in one image.”
Ledger went on to explain why approximating Jack Nicholson’s iconic Joker from Tim Burton’s earlier Batman film simply wouldn’t have worked for him.

“I just had an innate understanding of exactly how to play it for Chris,” he said. “If Tim Burton came to me and he was directing The Dark Knight and for some odd reason asked for me to play The Joker, I’d say no, I couldn’t step into your world and do what Jack Nicholson did. But instead Chris Nolan approached me, obviously, and I’d seen the world he’d set up and in which I’d be playing him, and I thought I could do something new and interesting in it.”

Asked for more details about his approach to the character, Ledger joked: “I’m certain that DC Comics and Warner Bros. have snipers trained on me, and if I say too much I’ll walk out of this hotel and they’ll peg me for sure! But I’m really proud of the time we spent on the movie.”

Considering the 28-year-old Ledger’s unexpected death two months after this conversation, that statement seems a bit eerie. Then again, it was comforting to know that, even that close to the end, Ledger was joking and still the fun guy who knew he’d come a long way from Perth, Australia, but hadn’t let it go to his head.

When asked if his success ever made him want to pinch himself, he said, “I do, I guess. But, not really. Day by day, I kind of breathe, and I just feel like it’s natural, it’s my story. It’s still evolving and still surprises me. But I am grateful for it. And whether I’m from Perth or from New York City is irrelevant. You either get out there and make it happen or you don’t.

“You’re lucky or you’re not.”

Sorry if it has been posted people.

oh. I haven't read it. Thanks for posting!

Ok cool, no prob guys just got an email from it so thought I'd post it for you guys. Anyways hope you guys enjoy the movie friday!

Asked for more details about his approach to the character, Ledger joked: “I’m certain that DC Comics and Warner Bros. have snipers trained on me, and if I say too much I’ll walk out of this hotel and they’ll peg me for sure! But I’m really proud of the time we spent on the movie.”

Considering the 28-year-old Ledger’s unexpected death two months after this conversation, that statement seems a bit eerie.

rofl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"