The Dark Knight Any "Batman Returns" fears?

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
I've had a very busy week so I finally got a chance to read that ComingSoon.net interview. Nolan says TDK will be very different from BB. Like he doesn't want to repeat himself. Sounds like what Burton said when he made Returns.

Any fears Nolan will give us a "Batman Returns"? And, I do not mean that he'll give us a goth-fest or anything like that. What I mean is that he'll give us something so different that it'll disappoint fans who are looking for something similar to BB.

Personally I don't care either but there's some people who may be too attached to BB. Remember how Wayne Manor was burned down. Can you imagine a completely different Wayne Manor and people start complaining about it or something? I know its a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point.

Dude, we already have a "fears" thread. C'mon now.

I personally loved Batman Returns (watched it earlier today actually). So for me, no that's not a fear at all. I definitely don't want to see TDK look and feel exactly like Begins did. In all honestly, that's the one thing I didn't like about Spiderman 2. It was great, sure, and they got the characters just right. However, I didn't think it really offered us anything that the first one didn't. That's why I'm looking forward so much to Spiderman 3, because it looks like it will have a much darker tone, and a fresh take on the story and characters.

I'm with the camp that loved Batman Returns more than the first. If anything, I'm excited that Nolan isn't repeating himself.

That's good to hear. And, who knows, he may make some improvements. Maybe Gotham won't look like Chicago this time. lol.

My fear is having one thread for every fear when we have the BB fears thread.

Catman said:
That's good to hear. And, who knows, he may make some improvements. Maybe Gotham won't look like Chicago this time. lol.

I loved the way Gotham looked in Begins. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some more of the old Gothic architecture that was so prevalant in Burton's movies.

Nolan won't turn Batman into Batman returns. No fear here.

I doubt the look and feel will change much. Nolan said it would be darker right? I think thats about all he will change in those aspects. The look and feel of BB is what made it so popular. I think he was mainly talking about BB being an origin story. As in the structure of TDK will be completely different. Probably a lot more action.

I think, what people responded to most about BATMAN BEGINS is how different it was from their expectations. So I think we would be foolish to not recognize that and attempt to do something very different in the sequel. I certainly wouldn't have, you know, any interest in somewhat trying to repeat the experience that the film already made because I think, particularly being an origin story, it's a very unique thing very singular.

No, i have no fears!Nolan is GOD!!!:batty: :batty: :batty: :batty: :batty:

Nolan virtually had complete control over BB. I really think he meant that he's not going to be following the staple super hero film plot (being, villain tries to destroy city and hero must stop him). If that is what he meant, and he is going to do a Joker killing off the mob/politicians/whatever ... I'm all for it. I think he meant he's going to break the mold of what super hero films are and he's not going to repeat things just for the sake of repeating them.

Sandman138 said:
I'm with the camp that loved Batman Returns more than the first. If anything, I'm excited that Nolan isn't repeating himself.

Same here. Although I wasn't really fond of the campy elements, Batman Returns had far more emotional resonance than Burton's first Batman and the characters were very well developed in the film. Might seem like blasphemy to some, but I prefer Burton's iteration of The Penguin more than the one in the comics. :up:

Catman said:
Can you imagine a completely different Wayne Manor and people start complaining about it or something? I know its a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point.

Uh dude, in BB itself Bruce says about Wayne Manor - "rebuild it, just the way it was brick for brick". I'm pretty sure Nolan, for continuity's sake, is going to use Mentmore Towers for Wayne Manor once again.

Fenrir said:
I prefer Burton's iteration of The Penguin more than the one in the comics. :up:

It's so much better than the original, I agree.

Yeah, it is.

Really, the Penguin in the comics is more like a freak ACTING like a mob boss.

I guess it's an interesting psychological take, the freak trying to be the normal of the bunch.....and really, out of all of them....he kinda is, yet he seems about as animalstic as Croc.

I dug Burton's take on Cobblepot.

The Only Woj said:
Nolan virtually had complete control over BB. I really think he meant that he's not going to be following the staple super hero film plot (being, villain tries to destroy city and hero must stop him). If that is what he meant, and he is going to do a Joker killing off the mob/politicians/whatever ... I'm all for it. I think he meant he's going to break the mold of what super hero films are and he's not going to repeat things just for the sake of repeating them.

Right. And his quote also implied that he didn't want to take the safe route and approach TDK using the usual sequal formula of "more of the same" and instead, keep things fresh and interesting. It's a pattern followed by some of the greatest sequels ever made in the history of cinema - The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Terminator 2, The Godfather 2...all these films were radically different from their predecessors in terms of story, tone, structure and direction.

All this paranoia about "fear of Nolan changing too much" is pointless and unnecessary before even knowing what and how exactly will he change things for The Dark Knight.

El Payaso said:
It's so much better than the original, I agree.

When I saw Burton's sketches of the Penguin for Batman Returns on the Special Edition DVD, it looked so good, bizarre and freaky, felt right at home as the candidate look for a Batman villain. I'm still surprised why many artists haven't incorporated that look in the comics as well. :confused:

Majik1387 said:
Are the sketches anywhere online?

I dunno, you can check them out on the Special Edition DVD of Batman Returns in one of the Making Of Documentaries. I'll see if I can get a screencap for you. :up:

I think Nolan is going to do something with Batman that we've never seen before.

jimmy rhoads said:
I think Nolan is going to do something with Batman that we've never seen before.
I agree, his quote about it getting worse(for Batman/Wayne) before it gets better leads me to believe it might be more of a psychological thriller. Then again he could just be talking about going with the escalation theme. I need to read the interview again.

Majik1387 said:
Are the sketches anywhere online?

bscap145.jpg

bscap148.jpg

bscap149.jpg

bscap177.jpg

BATMAN BEGINS was a very flawed movie, largely because of the overdone blockbuster-action sequences that were tacked onto what was otherwise a more thoughtful, character-driven film. I think the sequel will embrace its "Nolan-ness" more, be more of a psychological thriller, and do less of the conventional summer-blockbuster stuff.

If all goes according to my intuition, THE DARK KNIGHT will be a grittier, darker Batman movie in the vein of FOLLOWING or even perhaps MEMENTO. It might even cost lesser, since Bruce's globetrotting might as well be removed (no filming in Iceland) and I think this movie might be more personal...meaning no "Gotham City Must Be Destroyed" devious plot. Just The Joker killing people. Or something like that.

Fenrir said:
Same here. Although I wasn't really fond of the campy elements, Batman Returns had far more emotional resonance than Burton's first Batman and the characters were very well developed in the film. Might seem like blasphemy to some, but I prefer Burton's iteration of The Penguin more than the one in the comics. :up:

Thank God I'm not alone. Returns is still the most emotional comic adaptation for me. I really wish the comics would have adopted that Penguin. And I wish they would have atleast made a run at giving Batman an all black suit. But if Nolan goes the "Batman Returns" route, I really can't see anything bad coming out of it. If he does what Tim Burton did and make the movie even darker than its predecessor, (which TDK is basically guaraunteed to be) then that can't do anything but contribute to the true essence of the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"