Anybody else absolutely sick of the Batman and Superman centric animated movies?

Sara Lance

Civilian
Reaction score
There is just too many. They keep shoving them down our throats. I vastly prefer movies that let others characters shine. Like the Wonder Woman movie, the Supergirl movie(where at least Batman and Superman were toned down a bit) the Justice League War movie, The Flashpoint movie. I really wish they would let Superman and Batman take a break. And outright kill that little **** called Son of Batman. God I can't stand this kid

Agreed. The writers seem to be obsessed with Damian.

I think DC just doesn't have much confidence in their other characters. Though the success of the Flash series might change that.

My favorite DC characters are Batman, WW and Firestorm.
I don't think we are going to see a Firestorm animated movie anytime soon so 2 out 3 isn't bad.

There is just too many. They keep shoving them down our throats. I vastly prefer movies that let others characters shine. Like the Wonder Woman movie, the Supergirl movie(where at least Batman and Superman were toned down a bit) the Justice League War movie, The Flashpoint movie. I really wish they would let Superman and Batman take a break. And outright kill that little **** called Son of Batman. God I can't stand this kid

Superman and Batman are the two most bankable properties of all of the DC Comics IP. Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment aren't likely to stop churning out content featuring those two characters until said characters show signs of market fatigue. And based on the current track record, audiences remain hungry for media and content featuring The Man of Steel and the Dark Knight.

That all having been said, I am a bit worn out when it comes to Batman and Superman. I would love a third feature for Green Lantern, a sequel for Wonder Woman, and something off-beat, such as a Justice League Dark animated feature, or an animated feature that can tie up the plot points for the NBC Constantine series.

Superman and Batman are the two most bankable properties of all of the DC Comics IP. Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment aren't likely to stop churning out content featuring those two characters until said characters show signs of market fatigue. And based on the current track record, audiences remain hungry for media and content featuring The Man of Steel and the Dark Knight.

That all having been said, I am a bit worn out when it comes to Batman and Superman. I would love a third feature for Green Lantern, a sequel for Wonder Woman, and something off-beat, such as a Justice League Dark animated feature, or an animated feature that can tie up the plot points for the NBC Constantine series.

And they will remain larger than the rest by far if DC keeps just relying on them instead of putting more effort into building up the others.

The Avengers were never nearly as big as they are now, when the MCU has built them up. Of course it's because Marvel didn't have access to it's big properties when they started making movies but it's still a sign of how much you can build a brand when done properly.

Of course one could say that the animated stuff is so tiny in comparison that you're not bound to do much building with that department, but that focus seems to go through all DC stuff. Hopefully the upcoming DCCU movies can make them go in a more varied approach overall.

I am not sick of them but i do think they should rotate in other characters for solo treatments in between Batman & Superman features to give more variety .

Totally agreed, in all forms of media. Other than Static has another DC hero even had their own solo animated tv series in the last 20 years? Even the Rebirth comics are oversaturated in Batman/Superman.

But I think if DC were to venture from Batman/Superman for their animated films they'd go for teams but when you think about the big teams outside the JL you have JSA, Outsiders, Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad. JSA is going to be stuck in the past. They probably wouldn't risk Birds of Prey because, although they have more than Marvel, there's still little faith in female superheroes. One Wonder Woman film! And then the last two are so favoured by Batman mythos characters it's unreal. We only got to see Suicude Squad in a Batman film and though once yet to see it I've heard that JL can TT was a Starfire led team but it was very Damian and Blue Beetle centric (who I feel is another character that is becoming overused and will probably replace Wonder Woman one day). I mean the Suicide Squad is led by Deadshot and Harley now. It's so Batman centric it's unreal.

It's a shame that no other JL members have created/led big teams because that might have influenced them to focus on other heroes.

Last edited:
Totally agreed, in all forms of media. Other than Static has another DC hero even had their own solo animated tv series in the last 20 years? Even the Rebirth comics are oversaturated in Batman/Superman

It's a shame that no other JL members have created/led big teams because that might have influenced them to focus on other heroes.

I agree 1000%. How about making a team up of 2 heroes we never see often.

I agree 1000%. How about making a team up of 2 heroes we never see often.

Surely a good idea would be to milk off the CWverse and do a Green Arrow and Flash animated film. Or to go off the comics do Green Arrow and Green Lantern. Or to build off their friendship do Flash and Green Lantern. Or do all three, I'd love it.

Well if there is a DC Animation Studios exec out there reading.....I am going to give you an idea for free !

All you have to do is run with it.

How about a Nightwing & Green Arrow team up.
The storyline could focus about illegal gun smuggling. A topic that is all too familiar for us in America of late.
Some villainous Organized crime group crossing over into both their cities as they work together to kick the pudding out of the thugs.
With Batman noticeably absent.

If it does well, a sequel could include Batman with a small role only to provide intel to them.

Last edited:
Exactly. Minimize the Batman and Superman presence. Still have them present because of their popularity but tone them down. Justice League War in my opinion did this well. We still had Batman and Superman but they didn't overwhelm the entire movie. Instead we got to see the entire team taking on Darkseid in a pretty awesome way
Superman/Batman Apocalypse also thankfully managed to tone down a bit Supes and Batman and actually give Wondeer Woman and Big Barda a nice chance at the spotlight and a truly awesome Supergirl Darkseid fight that is still one

Ditto for the series. Young Justice is still one of my favorite cartoons of all time and Batmn and Superman's presence was minimal and even Superboy and Robin didn't recieve anymore attention then the rest of the tam. Ditto for the old Justice League series where we also got a chance to see different characters shining

And yeah. Damian. That was his name. God he is horribke. He is like a fanficiton character written by a 13 year old boy

Exactly. Minimize the Batman and Superman presence. Still have them present because of their popularity but tone them down. Justice League War in my opinion did this well. We still had Batman and Superman but they didn't overwhelm the entire movie. Instead we got to see the entire team taking on Darkseid in a pretty awesome way
Superman/Batman Apocalypse also thankfully managed to tone down a bit Supes and Batman and actually give Wondeer Woman and Big Barda a nice chance at the spotlight and a truly awesome Supergirl Darkseid fight that is still one

Ditto for the series. Young Justice is still one of my favorite cartoons of all time and Batmn and Superman's presence was minimal and even Superboy and Robin didn't recieve anymore attention then the rest of the tam. Ditto for the old Justice League series where we also got a chance to see different characters shining

And yeah. Damian. That was his name. God he is horribke. He is like a fanficiton character written by a 13 year old boy

Definitely. For me I feel like Artemis and Kid Flash were the leads in that show and then Miss Martian and Superboy. Second season was Impulse and Blue Beetle with the same two following up. It did such a good job in giving an even share of screen and story time, especially season 1. Season 2 was a bit more difficult due to the cast increase so some like Wonder Girl and Robin missed out but they still got a little development.

But it was so nice to see other characters get attention for a change. I'm glad that Black Canary, Shazam and Red Tornado got attention. I bet the only reason Dr Fate is in JLA TV series is because of Young Justice.

All the whining about Damian and then at the same time the op thinks Supergirl vs Darkseid was awesome or Flash blowing out Darkseid's eye ball with a crowbar is equally awesome. Those are infinitely worse than anything Damain ever did.

Either way other characters have proven to be unprofitable unless they ride off Batman's jock, in that case they are merely tricking the Batman fans in to buying a product they dont necessarily want. Do that excessively and even Batman films will tank. Marvel doesn't even make animated films with consistency, DTV is a different market, people are just not interested in John Constantine or insert some other character with a fringe and vocal internet fanbase.

And outright kill that little **** called Son of Batman. God I can't stand this kid

Damian Wayne is DC's resident Gary Stu. Even by the elastic parameters of comic book mythology, Son of Batman was ridiculous.

Last edited:
There is just too many. They keep shoving them down our throats. I vastly prefer movies that let others characters shine. Like the Wonder Woman movie, the Supergirl movie(where at least Batman and Superman were toned down a bit), the Justice League War movie, The Flashpoint movie, the Assault on Arkham movie, the Throne of Atlantis Movie, the Trapped in Time movie, the Damian movies, the Bad Blood movie, the Justice League vs Teen Titans movie

Of course one could say that the animated stuff is so tiny in comparison
4-5 movies per year each ≤ a 1/3 of the budget of a season's worth of YJ ($10 mil)

Other than Static has another DC hero even had their own solo animated tv series in the last 20 years? Green Lantern.
The rest have been teams: Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes, Young Justice.
Heck, Brave and the Bold was nothing but which new hero/villain to focus on while Batman does what he does.
Guess who's in charge of these movies at the moment?

We only got to see Suicude Squad in a Batman film Batman as a cameo in "his own" movie =/= a Batman film and although I have yet to see it I've heard that JL vs TT was a Starfire led team but it was very Damian and Blue Beetle Raven -centric
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Either way other characters have proven to be unprofitable unless they ride off Batman's jock, in that case they are merely tricking the Batman fans in to buying a product they dont necessarily want. Do that excessively and even Batman films will tank. Marvel doesn't even make animated films with consistency, DTV is a different market, people are just not interested in John Constantine or insert some other character with a fringe and vocal internet fanbase.
The post with the most valid points regarding topic :up:

Well, that covers all the bases.

To buck the trend....No, gimme more good animated films with Superman in them, because the last live action one sucked ! At least Superman as an animated character has been consistently enjoyable. I will take all the good animated Superman you can give me !

As for Batman, as DC's biggest draw card he's earned a place at the front of the animated film production line. His animated films have been generally great, starting with Mask of the Phantasm (loved that). Even his cameo in Assault on Arkham elevates the film. So bring him on !

Having said that, I did really enjoy the GL series (will have to get it on DVD one day) as it combined some pretty dark plots with humour, and had very cool animation.

With regards to films, we still have Flashpoint paradox - and I'm sure there are plenty of other great Flash stories to adapt (although the live action TV show is doing a pretty good job of that).

I can't stand Teen Titans Go ! Ugh !

So to sum up, Batman and Superman are my favourite superheroes and the ones I associate most strongly with DC, so while I'm okay seeing a wider cast in Justice League movies, I'm totally okay with Bats and Supes being the main stars.

It would be nice to get a good Batman and the Outsiders movie though.

That is true but if DC/Warner Bros want to make their other superhero properties more bankable then they should try making animated features with their other characters. You can generate exposure and build an audience if you give those other characters a platform.

I think another Aquaman or Flash or Green Arrow movie could be successful. The audience for those characters will only grow with the films and TV show exposure they are getting.

I think Batman is shoved into the spotlight far more than Superman is. Superman fatigue (potential or outright) is not an issue we're going to have until maybe the next decade - if then.

I would be. But I think their animated movies are so well done that I can't really blame them.
They aren't getting stale yet either so it's fine with me.

They should try also try original stories the have Batman or Superman appear in minor roles that are key to the story and help move the plot along.

They should try also try original stories the have Batman or Superman appear in minor roles that are key to the story and help move the plot along.

That is literally what we've been getting.

That is literally what we've been getting.

My emphasis on minor roles meant a brief cameo that was somehow important.
I didn't see all the animated movies, but Im guessing Batman or Superman appeared more then a cameo.

More Young Justice/Teen Titans movies/shows would be awesome! They should be DC's answer to the X-men franchise over at Marvel.

Robin, Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Superboy, Wondergirl, Aqualad, Impulse, Ms Martian, Blue Beetle and Static. More focus please!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"