Anybody else absolutely sick of the Batman and Superman centric animated movies?

Still think an animated Lobo movie would be great.

My emphasis on minor roles meant a brief cameo that was somehow important.
I didn't see all the animated movies, but I'm guessing Batman or Superman appeared more than a cameo.

More than a cameo in some and yet still very much in a more supporting than leading role recently.
Refer back to the movies I added to OP's list where "other characters shine" and see for yourself.

More than a cameo in some and yet still very much in a more supporting than leading role recently.
Refer back to the movies I added to OP's list where "other characters shine" and see for yourself.

I will do just that. Thanx for the heads up.

Its a catch 22. Its all supply and demand. DC has tried to branch out with different types of films and they don't sell well. The Wonder Woman movie they did was arguably their most critically acclaimed DTV attempt and it just didn't sell well. So, what are they to do? The powers at be cant justify doing a sequel if there's no monetary incentive. The public is telling them they are only interested in Batman and Superman and thats why they keep churning them out.

For the record, I am getting a bit sick of it, too. I would love original films focused on The Flash, Constantine, JL Dark, more Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Black Canary but I can't blame WB for not making them if they won't sell well.

is there any records that can be found on the internet of how many units each title sold?

DC is always disappointed when characters that arent Bats/Supes/JL don't sell as fast or as well but what do they expect? They dont give anyone a good enough chance to grow their fanbase.

What they need to do is drop this stupid ban on female dtvs. WW sold well enough

is there any records that can be found on the internet of how many units each title sold?

There are some various sites

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2...erse-animated-original-movie-animated-titles/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

Sales figures below represent DVD sales and, when available, Blu-ray sales in the United States. International sales, digital sales, and rentals are not included. Blu-ray sales are not available for Superman: Doomsday, Justice League: The New Frontier, Batman: Gotham Knight, or Wonder Woman.
Superman: Doomsday $12,364,652
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies $10,699,518
Batman: Under the Red Hood $10,339,291
Green Lantern: First Flight $9,809,408
Batman: Gotham Knight $9,628,546
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths $8,863,391
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse $7,980,229
Wonder Woman $7,501,968
All-Star Superman $7,012,334
Justice League: Doom $6,405,071
Son of Batman $6,295,357
Justice League: The New Frontier $5,935,279
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 $5,751,308
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights $5,326,436
Batman: Year One $5,285,329
Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam $5,064,383
Justice League: War $5,025,173
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox $4,619,476
Batman: Assault on Arkham $4,614,824
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2 $3,889,404
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis $3,775,482
Batman: Bad Blood $3,678,623
Batman vs. Robin $3,651,147
Superman: Unbound $3,103,999
Superman vs. The Elite $2,786,605
Justice League: Gods and Monsters $2,384,472
+
Wonder Woman deserves another DTV since while it wasn't a fast hit like the main 3 titles, it was one of the top overall earners.

Last edited:
Yeah, you know what, looking at them now, the numbers don't seem that bad. I'm assuming that maybe at the time, compared to how the others were selling, it seemed disappointing to WB. Green Lantern sold about the same as Batman: Gotham Knight!

Yeah, you know what, looking at them now, the numbers don't seem that bad. I'm assuming that maybe at the time, compared to how the others were selling, it seemed disappointing to WB. Green Lantern sold about the same as Batman: Gotham Knight!

So you would think they would fast track other characters for films.
Has me scratching my head.
Im still in favor of different characters & I'll shamelessly push my idea again.

Well if there is a DC Animation Studios exec out there reading.....I am going to give you an idea for free !

All you have to do is run with it.

How about a Nightwing & Green Arrow team up.
The storyline could focus about illegal gun smuggling. A topic that is all too familiar for us in America of late.
Some villainous Organized crime group crossing over into both their cities as they work together to kick the pudding out of the thugs.
With Batman noticeably absent.

If it does well, a sequel could include Batman with a small role only to provide intel to them.

Last edited:
To buck the trend....No, gimme more good animated films with Superman in them, because the last live action one sucked ! At least Superman as an animated character has been consistently enjoyable. I will take all the good animated Superman you can give me !

As for Batman, as DC's biggest draw card he's earned a place at the front of the animated film production line. His animated films have been generally great, starting with Mask of the Phantasm (loved that). Even his cameo in Assault on Arkham elevates the film. So bring him on !

Having said that, I did really enjoy the GL series (will have to get it on DVD one day) as it combined some pretty dark plots with humour, and had very cool animation.

With regards to films, we still have Flashpoint paradox - and I'm sure there are plenty of other great Flash stories to adapt (although the live action TV show is doing a pretty good job of that).

I can't stand Teen Titans Go ! Ugh !

So to sum up, Batman and Superman are my favourite superheroes and the ones I associate most strongly with DC, so while I'm okay seeing a wider cast in Justice League movies, I'm totally okay with Bats and Supes being the main stars.

It would be nice to get a good Batman and the Outsiders movie though.

I mean yeah Superman has more movies that most (anyone else in the DCU) but Batman is leagues ahead and it is not DCs fault it is Warner Bros. since they felt the Wonder Woman movie which was praised and made alot of money did not do enough money for them they have essentially been afraid of any character that is not Batman related. The most of Superman ones they had to explain why while Batman stories are always made a priority.

I want all the DCu animated since now we will be stuck for over a decade of ****** DC movies where the greatest female hero kills people happily, the Man of Tomorrow is a childish ******* and Batman is now essential Moon Knight from marvel but without the complex psychology.

That is true but if DC/Warner Bros want to make their other superhero properties more bankable then they should try making animated features with their other characters. You can generate exposure and build an audience if you give those other characters a platform.

I think another Aquaman or Flash or Green Arrow movie could be successful. The audience for those characters will only grow with the films and TV show exposure they are getting.

Movie studios and television studios are very conservative entities. Decisions are often led by committee, not creative interest. Most studio executives are highly risk-adverse, and don't want to take chances on anything "untested". Rather than take failures as an opportunity to explore possibilities, they take failures (and disappointments) as signs to abandon a venture.

Honestly, the fact that iZombie is on the CW amazed me, until I remembered how popular The Walking Dead is. None of this is to say that I disagree with you. I am under the impression that your average consumer has greater passing familiarity with Marvel's stable of characters than they do with DC's characters. This wasn't always so, as evinced by the number of people who remember or have been exposed to the Super Friends, but still, most folks aren't aware of the likes of Adam Strange or The Question. Warner Bros./DC does not do enough to promote their lesser known properties.

Its a catch 22. Its all supply and demand. DC has tried to branch out with different types of films and they don't sell well. The Wonder Woman movie they did was arguably their most critically acclaimed DTV attempt and it just didn't sell well. So, what are they to do? The powers at be cant justify doing a sequel if there's no monetary incentive. The public is telling them they are only interested in Batman and Superman and thats why they keep churning them out.

For the record, I am getting a bit sick of it, too. I would love original films focused on The Flash, Constantine, JL Dark, more Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Black Canary but I can't blame WB for not making them if they won't sell well.
That's not really true . The Wonder Woman movie made $7.7mil. In comparison All Star Superman made $7mil. Batman Year One made $5.2mil. Superman vs the Elite made $2.6mil. Superman Unbound made 2.9mil Batman The Dark Knight Returns made $5.6 mil for it's first part and $4mil for it's second one

Wonder Woman may not have made as much as the top Superman Batman movie but considering she had ONLY ONE movie it did damn well and as you see it beat the hell out of quite a few Batman and Superman releases. Ditto for Green Lantern who's first movie made over $8mil

Fact is that Batman and Superman are not some guaranteed cash cows. They can and have failed just as much as anyone else. The only difference is that they are constantly given new chances while other characters like Wonder Woman are given only one chance and even though she succeded she wasn't given another one

Ditto for Green Lantern. Although in his case he was given two chances. And even though his second movie made only $4.9 mil this too wasn't bad and again as shown it can still compete with some of the less successful Batman and Superman movie

That's not really true . The Wonder Woman movie made $7.7mil. In comparison All Star Superman made $7mil. Batman Year One made $5.2mil. Superman vs the Elite made $2.6mil. Superman Unbound made 2.9mil Batman The Dark Knight Returns made $5.6 mil for it's first part and $4mil for it's second one

Wonder Woman may not have made as much as the top Superman Batman movie but considering she had ONLY ONE movie it did damn well and as you see it beat the hell out of quite a few Batman and Superman releases. Ditto for Green Lantern who's first movie made over $8mil

Fact is that Batman and Superman are not some guaranteed cash cows. They can and have failed just as much as anyone else. The only difference is that they are constantly given new chances while other characters like Wonder Woman are given only one chance and even though she succeded she wasn't given another one

Ditto for Green Lantern. Although in his case he was given two chances. And even though his second movie made only $4.9 mil this too wasn't bad and again as shown it can still compete with some of the less successful Batman and Superman movie

The funny thing is that WBs are against more female driven animated Superhero movies that are pitched because they felt WW did not do enough. None of this really is the filmmakers fault is you look behind the scenes they have since the beginning wanting to make movies with a diverse set of characters but the money side of things continually refuse to recognize any hero not named Batman at WB would make money for them.

You would think the WB Animation universe would be the perfect tool to experiment with different characters. Its not on a global scale like their live action universe.
The audience for all DC's other characters should thrive here and can build on stories that have continuity.

Also why would they make a Green Arrow/ Nightwing film when they can make a more logical Batman/Nightwing film? oh wait they DID, looks at Bad Blood.

Also why would they make a Green Arrow/ Nightwing film when they can make a more logical Batman/Nightwing film? oh wait they DID, looks at Bad Blood.

Yes. And I thought rare team ups between characters for animated films gives DC a chance to roll the dice, take chances & see where the possibilities can go. I think its more logical to team up the street heroes of DC for action movies.

Last edited:
They also brought Tim Drake, Nightwing, the Flash, Green Arrow, Cyborg and Batman into action-heavy installments through those Batman Unlimited flicks and shorts.

You would just like to sit in on 1 of those board meetings that's going to select the next animated movie.
Do they all just throw out Superman/Batman stories ?
Do they all have to be adapted straight from the comics?

Why not hire someone to write an original screenplay focusing on 1 or 2 characters other than the big 2.

You would just like to sit in on 1 of those board meetings that's going to select the next animated movie.
Do they all just throw out Superman/Batman stories ?
Do they all have to be adapted straight from the comics?

Why not hire someone to write an original screenplay focusing on 1 or 2 characters other than the big 2 .

Can you watch the recent animated DC flicks already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"