Anyone feel the Batman Trilogy won't be regarded as perfect?

Forever MS

Civilian
Reaction score
...Because of Batman Begins?

All signs and early reviews point to Dark Knight Rises being better than the Dark Knight. Many people have began to say how we will get an extremely rare perfect trilogy.

However, is there a chance many people won't think that, because of Batman Begins? It was has a lot lower score, an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a paltry 61% Top Critics.

Will Batman Begins keep this Batman Trilogy from being perfect?

Its all subjective, if you enjoy all three then thats all that matters. Everyone with an internet connection is a movie critic these days.

BB will drag the trilogy down a bit for me. I've never been wild about it though I don't hate it anymore.

1. 85% on Rotten Tomatoes is excellent.

2. Critics don't even matter.

3. Reducing the sample to arbitrary "top critics" makes them even less relevant.

4. Fans love Batman Begins

5. BB was a mainstream success as well, earning over $200 million in the domestic box office and a solid "A" grade in CinemaScore's audience exit polling.

6. There's no such thing as a "perfect" movie anyway.

i recently watched both Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, and while TDK is the better movie i enjoyed BB a whole lot more. for me, it's definitely the best superhero/comic book origin story film. better than Spiderman & Iron Man by a longshot. i like that it focuses more on Batman/Bruce than TDK does. who cares what critics think?

I love how some fans are so sensitive to "what the critics think" that 85% on RT is no longer considered all that good. Also, count me among the people who prefers the way that Batman Begins focused on Bruce.

I'm not convinced by early reviews really. Many people who get super advanced screenings have overwhelmingly positive reactions. Kind of like how if someone gave you a super rare free car you'd probably rave about it, even if it wasn't as good as the Lexus or even a luxury Toyota. I mean Amazing Spider-Man was supposed to be the most 'amazing' yet, but clearly the RT rating went down after those early reviews. Even if Batman only gets 80% this go around, that would still be very successful, maybe the most successful, heck maybe even 75% would warrant that since it wouldn't be that traditional bomb third installment.

Last edited:
Batman Begins has great reputation and good box office after B&R. He could get much bigger box office success if Batman wasn't turned it into a bad joke in previous movies. It might be weakest one in trilogy for some but that means great movie had greater sequels which is unique.A Fistful of Dollars was weakest one too in Dollars trilogy.

not to be that guy, but i enjoyed begins more then i did tdk. its great film obviously, but it seemed more like a joker film then a bats film, but somehow i felt like there wasn't enough joker.

I'm not convinced by early reviews really. Many people who get super advanced screenings have overwhelmingly positive reactions. Kind of like how if someone gave you a super rare free car you'd probably rave about it, even if it wasn't as good as the Lexus or even a luxury Toyota. I mean Amazing Spider-Man was supposed to be the most 'amazing' yet, but clearly the RT rating went down after those early reviews. Even if Batman only gets 80% this go around, that would still be very successful, maybe the most successful, heck maybe even 75% would warrant that since it wouldn't be that traditional bomb third installment.

Eh, TASM was met with a mixed reaction right from the get go and the fact that TASM felted chopped and horribly pieced together confirms the rumor claiming that Sony executives weren't happy with Webb's final draft of the film.

Thus far, TDKR has been receiving glowing reviews from the LA and NY screenings (most of them stating that TDKR surpasses TDK, and that its Nolan's best work to date). I think at this point it's safe to assume that Nolan has topped himself yet again.

---------

As for the 'perfect' trilogy talk, I didn't realize Batman Begins was a subpar film. [sarcasm] To me, Begins was a great film and in no way, shape or form drags down the trilogy. Begins is still widely considered as one best origin films ever made (to many fans BB remains at #1).

In my honest opinion, Nolan has done something special here. Something that many franchises fail to do for three consecutive films -- and that's compelling storytelling. Nolan's films are not flawless but he never falls short of delivering great stories and endings. It's the very reason why Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy will stand the testament of time and be mentioned amongst the likes of the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies.

Doesn't it depend on the experience of the trilogy as a whole, not just one movie seperately?

Batman Begins is awesome. People need to stop putting TDK up on a pedestal like it's the greatest f***ing movie ever made. BB was just as good for different reasons.

Moreover, TDK wouldn't have been as big of a hit had it not been preceded by BB. When BB came out, audiences were still skittish about Batman movies after seeing them get butchered by Schumacher. BB changed all of that. Had they skipped a Batman origin and just made TDK, it would have still been a hit, but the box office would have been similar to BB because people would have been skeptical going into it. A sequel to TDK would have been a bigger hit in that instance.

BB changed people's perception of Batman movies; TDK reinforced it.

Last edited:
Batman Begins is awesome. People need to stop putting TDK up on a pedestal like it's the greatest f***ing movie ever made. BB was just as good for different reasons.

Moreover, TDK wouldn't have been as big of a hit had it not been preceded by BB. When BB came out, audiences were still skittish about Batman movies after seeing them get butchered by Schumacher. BB changed all of that. Had they skipped a Batman origin and just made TDK, it would have still been a hit, but the box office would have been similar to BB because people would have been skeptical going into it. A sequel to TDK would have been a bigger hit in that instance.

BB changed people's perception of Batman movies; TDK reinforced it.

Nah, I think TDK would've made a considerable amount of money even without BB because it had the Joker, the most popular supervillain of all time. Couple that with its heart-pounding trailers and superb marketing and TDK would've been a hit no matter what, though it probably would've made less money than if BB hadn't come before it.

With The Amazing Spider-Man i'm more afraid that when they reboot Batman fans will begin to throw away Nolan's trilogy as if it wasn't important and say the new movie gets it right and how they never really liked Nolan's take on the character.

In least that's what i'm noticing with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy.

With The Amazing Spider-Man i'm more afraid that when they reboot Batman fans will begin to throw away Nolan's trilogy as if it wasn't important and say the new movie gets it right and how they never really liked Nolan's take on the character.

In least that's what i'm noticing with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy.

Make no mistake, this WILL happen, especially if the reboot seems to be more comics-accurate.

I doubt it. Other than a few traditionalists/purists and hardcore comic fans, I don't see fans turning on Bale and Nolan's take. Till this day, alot of the fanbase still loves Burton's films. I see Nolan's trilogy having the identical type of support and fanbase 20 years from now.

What happened to Tobey and Raimi was unfortunate but I find myself laughing at all those TASM fans (who now denounce Raimi's trilogy) because the reboot was basically Spiderman (2002) with Batman Begins elements.

They can lay waste to Raimi's franchise but, at the end of the day, Webb's is off to a slower, less well-received and messier start.

I doubt it. Other than a few traditionalists/purists and hardcore comic fans, I don't see fans turning on Bale and Nolan's take. Till this day, alot of the fanbase still loves Burton's films. I see Nolan's trilogy having the identical type of support and fanbase 20 years from now.

What happened to Tobey and Raimi was unfortunate but I find myself laughing at all those TASM fans (who now denounce Raimi's trilogy) because the reboot was basically Spiderman (2002) with Batman Begins elements.

They can lay waste to Raimi's franchise but, at the end of the day, Webb's is off to a slower, less well-received and messier start.
I liked TAS-M, but the hate Sam Raimi's take is begining ot get i kind of strange considering the empact it had 10 years ago, Spider-Man 3 had a bad script, i won't deny that, but it didn't have a bad directing, and had some good moments, i hope Raimi's career doesn't go down and his Oz film can be well received, as oposed to Tim Burton that is begining to get a lot of hate and people wanting him stop making movies.

Either way Webb only seems to want a Trilogy, so i bet 10 years from now they're going to reboot again and his take is going to be criticised too, seems like this will be the cycle of the spider-man series :whatever:

Sorry if i got off-topic, but Batman Begins was a good begning in my opinion, if TDKR is indeed that good it will be a great trilogy, the problem would be if the first 2 films were the perfect ones, while the last film was just good. Still i doubt it will be a trilogy that can match Te Lord of the Rings or Godfather, but who knows, maybe it can.

Let it stand the test of time

I see it as the other way around. More hardcore fans accept multiple interpretations but more mainstream fans are fickle and just crap on the older thing for the newer one.

This will always be and always has been. I personally haven't really liked any of the Spidey films outside of the first one by Raimi but I'd be a liar as a Spider-Man fan if I didn't acknowledge that they all had good points too. Same with Batman.

Superheroes are modern equivalent to mythology now that they've become really popular with movie audiences again. Your grandkids will end up seeing the best Batman movie yet one day. Just the way things go. They could only get better as things advance.

As long as new things keep coming out, there will ALWAYS be people complaining about the old stuff.

I say: Whatever.

Batman Begins is still my favorite Batman movie; the hell with critics.

I can't say since I haven't seen TDKR yet but so far, my two favorite movies ever made are Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. So I would go as so far to answer no to your question...

Eh, TASM was met with a mixed reaction right from the get go and the fact that TASM felted chopped and horribly pieced together confirms the rumor claiming that Sony executives weren't happy with Webb's final draft of the film.

Thus far, TDKR has been receiving glowing reviews from the LA and NY screenings (most of them stating that TDKR surpasses TDK, and that its Nolan's best work to date). I think at this point it's safe to assume that Nolan has topped himself yet again.
I highly doubt it. Better than Begins could easily be the case, but I don't see it surpassing The Dark Knight at least in terms of RT score. Just doubtful in my opinion. You're completely wrong about those other movies too. Most early screenings get glowing reviews, even when the product downright sucks (I even remember Spider-Man 3 and X-Men The Last Stand got glowing early reviews). A lot of it's because they'll give those reviewers VIP treatment, and in reality they'll end up skewing their own reviews as a result. Plus, most production companies know what they're doing with early screenings, and they're looking to create positive buzz not negative feedback.

So even if some or many personally end up feeling it's a better movie, I doubt the critics will rank it higher than TDK.

You're completely wrong about Spider-Man too. That held strong at 92% forever before dropping to 72%. I doubt we'll see that kind of a drop with TDKR, but I think with third installments too many pre-conceived notions about how it should end or how it does end at least tend to make many reviewers go negative. That, and TDKR isn't seen as an "unneccessary reboot".

*Shrug* That, and something tells me one or some character in this movie will get the short end of the stick or seem unnecessary. In big ensembles someone will naturally feel "[my pet character] didn't get enough screentime...blah blah...this could've been two movies".

...Because of Batman Begins?

All signs and early reviews point to Dark Knight Rises being better than the Dark Knight. Many people have began to say how we will get an extremely rare perfect trilogy.

However, is there a chance many people won't think that, because of Batman Begins? It was has a lot lower score, an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a paltry 61% Top Critics.

Will Batman Begins keep this Batman Trilogy from being perfect?

Not for me. I love Begins. I think once TDKR comes out, this series will be my "The Trilogy".

In least that's what I'm noticing with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy.

Actually a lot of people were vocal about their displeasure with Raimi's films beforehand. It feels like no one here ever noticed it until now. I see the opposite happening with The Batman reboot. I think a lot of people here will attack the new Batman films. Also I hate the 'this or that' mentality when it comes to these things. I don't see why we can't enjoy different interpretations. Nolan's Batman is the best we've seen to date but I still enjoy Batman and Batman Returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"