Arcane (Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score

Netflix dropped the 1st 3 episodes Saturday evening (will be released weekly), and I can honestly say that this might be one of the best animated series Netflix have ever been involved with. I say this without having any idea or clue about the 'League of Legends' game.

Netflix dropped the 1st 3 episodes Saturday evening (will be released weekly), and I can honestly say that this might be one of the best animated series Netflix have ever been involved with. I say this without having any idea or clue about the 'League of Legends' game.

Riot Games started becoming aware of the potential of their background lore a few years ago, right around the time they started forming working and *consistent* connections with high grade creative talent for their marketing department. The last two years have seen them slowly ramp up to this; their marketing trailers started becoming “canon” to the lore, they began planning “meaningful” crossover events and side games, and then they commissioned comics, books, and now this show.

And this show is the epitome of “Holy crap, there’s a solid story lurking behind this game!”

Arguably their greatest advantage is that because LoL isn’t a narrative game itself, they can do a Metal Gear Solid, Mortal Kombat, God of War-level story, but have it be fresh, original, and wholly contained to this show.

And it’s great!

The sisters Vi and Powder have a genuinely moving and horribly tragic but engrossing story, set in a colorful, authentic feeling but fantastical world, with excellent action, conflict, and music.

My favorite member of the cast, though, has to be JB Blanc. Dude’s work as Vander is freaking excellent… and possibly not over…

Absolutely fantastic show so far and I have no knowledge of the game but this show has exquisite story telling and the animation is spectacular! Hopefully we can see more movies and shows based off games made at the same level as this. Extraordinary show!

Yeah the animation really impressed me, looked so smooth.

As much as Netflix gets guff for all of s**t they accumulate, they have picked up more than their fair share of quality content to show off, especially in the animation department. And as someone who’s seen their fair share of animated films and series, I can safely say I’ve never seen anything like this before, at least not in this consistent high quality for a longer form series.

I get kind of a similar feeling as when I saw Into the Spider-Verse for the first time, this thought of, “Oh, this is the future of animation”. It’s the same kind of raw creativity unfiltered through the mix of various forms of animation utilized to their fullest potential to deliver something truly special, full of life and energy.

This series is another great example of why animation is not just a thing for kids; it’s a medium for all ages. I hope Netflix continues to help put that outdated notion permanently to rest by continually pushing more creative animated content like this.

I'm no thread starter but I was going to do it for this show haha

I know 'of' the game, from their cinematic videos... Nothing more.

Absolutely loved the 3 episodes. Enjoying and intrigued by the story, really enjoy the characters.... And that animation is something else!

Come on next three episodes, hurry the bad place up!

I knew absolutely nothing about it but decided to check it out and the next thing I knew the 3rd episode ended. Great storytelling, the episodes were engrossing and flew by.

Funny, the 2 best new shows on Netflix are both animated, this and Inside Job (so many little background things, like the convenience store being 9/11 instead of 7/11)

The ending of episode 3...

giphy.webp

Episode 3 has to set some kind of record for plot turns in a single hour.

Next 3 episodes are up.

I'll be watching them later when I have no distractions around me.:yay:

I've seen some ppl complaining that Netflix (depending on the region) are only dropping 1 episode instead of the 3.

Just saw the first episode, and I am hooked!
The only thing I know of LoL is that it is a videogame, and that's it. I did not know there were enough story elements to build a series of but yeah this is good, and the animation style is really cool.

I had zero interest in this, but after reading all these comments I have to give it a shot.

Still haven't watched this, but I saw a the trailer for this a few weeks back and was blown away. I did not understand why nobody was talking about it. Then I see it's origins and I realize most probably thought it would suck. Which is fair. :funny:

Best way to describe this show right now?

66% “What if Jason Todd was Joker’s older brother, they were sweet kids, and stuff still headed south?”, 33% “Mad Science and Politics Plus Magic! Haha!”, all set in Steampunk Wizard Of Oz.

And I love it!

Jinx’s craziness was perfect in these episodes - she’s utterly bonkers, terrifyingly dangerous and mercurial, but so damn pitiable!

Jinx just needs all the hugs...and all the therapy.:hehe:

I thought the first 3 episodes were amazing, but the next 3 were even better.
I'm actually kind of glad the series wasn't released all at once, I'd have finished it by now, but now I have something to look forward to next weekend.

Loving Jinx, serious Harley Quinn vibes from her.

I wonder if each season will be set in a different location and be about different champions (140 of them in the game apparently) or if they'll keep Vi and Jinx as the central protagonists?

Just finished with the rest of the available episodes. I am absolutely loving this.
Side note,
is that Mylo's corpse she has in her lair? That's pretty f-ed up.

I wonder if each season will be set in a different location and be about different champions (140 of them in the game apparently) or if they'll keep Vi and Jinx as the central protagonists?
Unless they have a great plan for Vi, Caitlin, and Jinx going forward, I’d say the other characters and settings would provide better material for prestige stories.

Demacia and Noxus have a rivalry story with star crossed lovers, hypocritical oppression of a magical class on one side and a secret conspiracy of immoral sorcerers on the other, political infighting in an expansionist empire and a civil war in a flawed kingdom.

Noxus and Ionia have occupation, invasion, and liberation meeting more infighting, ninjas and magical creatures.

And so much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"