• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

ASK MSJ (The Complete History)

InVictus said:
So...:D anyone feel a Lilith and/or Darkhold story could be the best way to knot GR, Blade and maybe even Doc Strange in?
(waitaminute, maybe this should be in a topic on the sequels board...)

Personally.....not really :(

Wow. Thanks for answering all of my questions (well most of them :)) MSJ I really appreciate it.

i should of asked about the hellcycle being alive

spikes.bmp

i like the idea of a GR/Blade crossover.. ive said it a few times on various threads that Midnight Sons would be a great GR sequel. total out of the box thinking instead of the "run of the mill" sequel type thinking..

Bands? You ever heard of Zakk Wyldes Black Label Society. It's Legendary Ozzy Guitarist Zakk Wyldes band, they have a Skull motif going with the band logo, and the music is very southern rock inspired. Check out the albums 1919 Eternal, Sonic brew, Stronger Than Death, and his newest Albums Blessed Hellride and Mafia. He's currently on the main stage on Ozzfest as well, MSJ.

I'm always so impressed whenever MSJ shows up hear. Aside from liking everything I here, it just demonstrates a real concern for the thoughts of the fanbase. You kick ass, MSJ.

although i haven't seen the DC of DD,I still think that it was one hell of a movie.i saw it with the director's commentary,and i could tell that MSJ really tried for this movie to be great (and for me,it was).as for GR,i'm 1000% that MSJ has done a great ass-kicking movie.MSJ... you rock dude!!!

ps:the cage scene with GR will be f_ckin' awesome!!!

my god it's really him...

i'm so shocked...Looking forward to the movie dude..And then i hope you get you ass in gear for daredevil 2!

thanks for dropping by

:D

MSJ said:
Hey guys. What's up? Sorry I've been gone so long. It's late on Friday night and I have a moment to myself so I thought I'd check back in and see how you're all doing. Things are going great on the G.R. front. In fact, today I got to hear the Ghost Rider's voice for the first time!!! My Sound Designer is Dane Davis, who won the Academy Award for The Matrix, and is a true genius when it comes to creating new sounds. To start with, Dane took Nic's reading of all of the Ghost Rider's lines, filtered them through 3 different kinds of animal growls (played backwards, covering three separate frequencies) then played it through a mechanical volumizer, before finally setting the whole thing on fire! It's fantastic. Picture a deep, demonic, mechanical lion's roar and you'll get an idea of what he sounds like. One thing is for sure -- his voice will shake the theatre!

Comic Con was great. I hope some of you got to go. It had only been a few weeks since wrap, so I didn't have much to offer, but I didn't want to show up empty-handed so we put together a little teaser. Unfortunately, it got put on the internet by mistake. And although it was a good piece for what it was, it had virtually no action and no Ghost Rider in it! I was pissed off, to say the least. The Ghost Rider some of you saw was a proof of concept test that was done before filming even began. The finished look is going to blow your mind, I promise. I know some of you have asked to have the teaser back on the net, but trust me, the real one will be worth the wait!

Biggun directed me to some questions on this link. So I'll try and answer a few before I knock off for the night...

-- There was a report a few months ago by someone who saw concept drawings for Blackheart stating the character looked like a "nosferatu type creature". Is this description true?

Blackheart is shown in what I consider his "Human form" for much of the movie. But along the way we get hints of what lies underneath. By the climax we see his true self -- and it's horrifying. There will be some of the classic comic look along with other horrific elements to his look.

-- There have been a few long time fans of GR who were upset over the fact that the character would use a "Hellfire Shotgun" instead of shooting flames from the hands like in the original 70's comic. Is it possible that the shotgun is a rare occurrence and GR would instead use the chain and Penance Stare for most of the movie? Why did you feel it was necessary for GR to use a shotgun instead of shooting Hellfire from his hands?

The Shotgun only appears later in the film. For most of the movie GR uses the chain and the Penance Stare. And he throws fire as well!!

-- Avi Arad called the line up for the soundtrack "Southern rock". However, many of us can't picture Ghost Rider pummeling demons to the tune of Lynard Skynard. I think it’s safe to say fans have always associated GR with hard rock/metal. To give us an idea where this soundtrack is going could you give us some bands you were interested in getting for the album?

The more I work on the film, the more it feels like score rather than songs. I made the mistake of too many songs in DD, and although it made for a great album, I think it hurt the movie. When I mention Southern Rock, I don't mean classic rock, I mean what would today's version of that style of music be like? I don't want this to be another generic hard rock soundtrack movie. GR deserves better than that. Southern Rock was an idea that came out of the Western feel of the movie. That all being said, the only songs I'm cutting to so far in the temp mix are ACDC and ZZ Top!

-- Could you elaborate on the personality of the Ghost Rider for the film? Will he be based on the 90's version or will he be based on the evil (and much cooler ) Zarathos from the classic 70's series.

The Ghost Rider is one mean sonofa*****. Nic and I really wanted to play it as a Jekyll & Hyde kind of relationship. Johnny is actually a really honest, decent, simple man. Albeit, one who made a really rotten deal as a kid. But the Ghost Rider doesn't give a damn about anybody. All he cares about is hunting. In our movie, the presence of evil sets the Ghost Rider off. And in one scene Johnny is thrown into a holding cell with a bunch of inmates. He begs the guards not to put him in there. The guards think that Johnny is afraid of what the inmates will do to him. But, in truth, Johnny's afraid of what the Ghost Rider will do to them. The Ghost Rider, of course, is delighted with the whole scenario and can't wait to come out and 'play.'

-- Do you plan on breaking the 2 hour mark?

It's a little over that now in the cut. I think so...

-- Is the release date set in stone?

Nope. Sometime in Summer 2006. Which month is up for grabs.

-- Is there any chance for Danny Ketch showing up in this movie or the future?

Not in this story. But maybe in the future. Who knows?

-- I have heard Horror used for the theme of this movie. Will there actually be moments in this film that will make you gasp, scream, or grab onto the person next to you?

Yup. In fact, there are three scenes in the movie that make myself and my editor jump every time we watch them! And we know they're coming!

-- I've noticed in the early issues of the 70s Ghost Rider comics that John Blaze kept his personality despite the physical transformation into Ghost Rider. Is this going to be the case for the movie, or is the movie going down the Jekyll and Hyde route with GR as a seperate personality like in the later issues of the 70s run and throughout the 90s run?

More Jekyll & Hyde. Although as the story progresses, Johnny is trying to gain control of the spirit inside him -- with mixed results.

-- The bike is obviously MUCH different than either version we've seen (not that it's a bad thing) and I'm wondering where that idea can from and why the major change? Also, about the bike, can any of Johnny's bikes change into the hellcyle or is it just 'Grace'? (Was that 3 questions there? That doesn't count! hehe)

Yeah, the bike from the comics is cool, both the 70's version and the 90's version. But I did think it could be improved upon. I always thought that the Hellcycle should look like Ghost Rider, like the Batmobile looked like Batman. My theory has always been that Hellfire affects metal in a specific way. That's why his shotgun turns into a Hellfire shotgun, why the studs in his motorcycle jacket turn into three inch spikes, and why his old chopper turns into a flaming Hellcycle. I liked the idea that it was a part of him, if you will, that it was a machine but also a beast.

-- The picture of Ghost Rider that was released not long ago looks almost perfect... except for the skull, which looks a little cartoony. Is this something that the studio realizes and is it being worked on?

The picture you saw on the net or at comic con is cool, but it's only a painting. A real photo of the Ghost Rider doesn't exist yet. But it's going to look far cooler than that. There is a whole team of geniuses at Sony Imageworks who do nothing but work on the look of that flaming skull.

-- Will the movie have any of the same elements of the upcomming Ghost Rider comic. Like is Matt Long's story much like what happens in Garth Ennis's storyline or are they completly seperate things?

I haven't read Garth's storyline, but I do understand that we both thought up the same idea -- that the Ghost Rider is a bounty hunter from Hell!

-- Now that filming is complete, how was it? Did Nicolas Cage, Peter Fonda, and Eva Mendes fill the parts as you thought they would? Was everything that you dreamt of in the script fulfilled in the shoot and done as you thought? Overall, what's your reaction now that the shoot is over?

I'm very, very pleased with what we did. All of the actors were awesome and brough something special to the party. But Nic is truly a genius. He can do things that only Nic Cage can do. He's a perfect JB.

-- I've heard that Fox studios holds back their directors, and after watching the Daredevil: Director's Cut compared to the theatrical release, I may have to agree since the DC was tenfold better. How was your experience with Sony Pictures and were there any regrets that you would need a director's cut?

Sony has been just terrific. They've obviously had a lot of success with Marvel movies in the past, and they trust the material and the fans. There won't be any need for a special Director's Edition on this one, at least one that's as radically different as the DD DC was.

-- I've been a fan of Nic Cage as Blaze ever since he was announced for the role several years ago, and was thinking about the legendary Johnny Blaze blonde locks. Obviously, I think the decision to go with Cage and the modern shorter brown hair looks better, but did you ever think of sticking with the blonde hair?

Sure. We tried a couple different looks. But the dark hair just looks more like Nic. The blonde hair looked too much like "Gone in 60 Seconds."

-- Will there be any scenes, such as in the Goyer script, where Ghost Rider completely unleashes Hell and just thrashes through everyone in his path? The Penance Stare and his variety of other uses with chains and Hellfire I assume will all be present, including a new weapon in the Shotgun. I'm actually a fan of this idea, and can't wait to see it being used in a "Free For All" kick butt fight!

There's plenty of ass kicking done by GR in the movie, don't worry! He truly gets to utilize all of his abilities in the movie. However, I do hold to the idea of the comic that he will not take a human life. Demons, on the other hand, are totally on the menu. And humans have to endure the Penance Stare, which is a fate worse than death.

-- Have you had any input on the upcoming video game and how closely will the game tie-in to the movie? I can only imagine playing the Ghost Rider shooting fire from his hands and fry a baddie to crsip.

The Ghost Rider game is being developed right now. I met with the team in Australia when they came to visit the set. That game is going to rule! It's a motorcycle jumping game, a quest game, a fighting game, etc. If I remember right, Mephisto captures Roxanne and Johnny/Ghost Rider has to fight through all of his demons and classic villains to get to her.

-- Would you be willing to return for a sequel, hoping there is one, and if so... what story line and villians would you choose?

Absolutely. Wouldn't you? It's the greatest sand box in the world. And on that note, as Midnight approaches (how fitting) I'm going to bed. I'll check in later with more. Thanks again for all your questions.

Take care, guys!

MSJ
Thanks a lot MSJ! Always good to know you show up here... I´m looking forward to GR, and I really regret some of the negative comments I made about Daredevil in the past... I just saw the director´s cut and it´s definitely in my top superhero movies list. Fox is satan´s toilet... It´s also great to know you´re humble enough to acknowledge a mistake, like the pop songs.

Thanks MSJ,most appreciated:) :up:
I love the sound of what your doing with GR's voice and also the fact your thinking score not songs.As for the official teaser with a completed GR im happy to wait

If you return i have 1 question:Can you tell us a bit about the main chase sequence in the movie ? like what things the hellcycle will perform(such as the jesus ride:eek: )

Regardless of what I or everyone else think about his movies, you gotta give him credit for coming here and not being afraid of interacting with the community. :up:

Picture a deep, demonic, mechanical lion's roar and you'll get an idea of what he sounds like. One thing is for sure -- his voice will shake the theatre!

The more I work on the film, the more it feels like score rather than songs. I made the mistake of too many songs in DD, and although it made for a great album, I think it hurt the movie. When I mention Southern Rock, I don't mean classic rock, I mean what would today's version of that style of music be like? I don't want this to be another generic hard rock soundtrack movie. GR deserves better than that.

In our movie, the presence of evil sets the Ghost Rider off. And in one scene Johnny is thrown into a holding cell with a bunch of inmates. He begs the guards not to put him in there. The guards think that Johnny is afraid of what the inmates will do to him. But, in truth, Johnny's afraid of what the Ghost Rider will do to them. The Ghost Rider, of course, is delighted with the whole scenario and can't wait to come out and 'play.'

Anticipation for the movie +3
;):up:

Man, that prison cell scene sounds like something straight out of the comics (final year or so of the Blaze version)....

Can't wait for this movie!

whoa...just whoa. This is shaping up better and better than I'd ever dreamed! Ghost Rider is going to ROCK!

Awesome!

just awesome!

Music wise i think a bit of Pantera would go down well during a fight and a bit of Rammstein while the chase is on!

It's wonderful!
MSJ is a real good boy! :) Thank you!!!
I always waited this movie the best. I know I won't get disappointed now!

I read something a long long time ago from this movie. It was a street scene where Ghost Rider ride along on his bike, fire everywhere on his trail and every windows break out!
Another one: Johnny enter into a church and every candles lights out.
Will be these scenes in the movie?

Thanks MSJ - you're great. The DC of DD was indeed a step-up from what we saw in theatres (even though I own both of them).

Just goes to show you the differences between Sony and Fox............

Thanks you so much for this MSJ. :up:

I (being a complete GR novice) am really excited about this movie after reading your answers.

I wonder if MSJ has looked at the new judas priest album with songs like hellrider and such and lyrics that match with the plot of the movie. :ghost:

The description of GR's voice sounds great, the jail scene sounds very cool, not to mention a little 'Punisher-esque' (the recent one-shot, "The Cell," comes immediately to mind). Anyway, I like it.

And I'm probably most relieved to hear that MSJ's leaning more toward a theatrical score instead of lifting the latest alt-rock offerings from MTV2's playlist.

Can't wait to see a trailer. :up:

THIS IS SO AWESOME, FIRST OF ALL, MSJ, YOU ROCK!:D I LOVED THE DD DC, IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL, BEAUTIFUL WORK! I'D LIKE TO THANK YOU AND YOUR TEAM FOR TAKING THE TIME TO DO THAT FOR US AND FOR TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE OF THE FANS. THE GR FOOTAGE WE'VE SEEN SO FAR LOOKS AWESOME AND I'M REALLY EXCITED TO SEE THE FILM. EVERYTHING YOU'VE SHARED WITH US SO FAR SOUNDS AMAZING. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK, WE ALL APPRECIATE IT AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU AGAIN SOON.:cool: :ghost:

Thanks for sharing MSJ.

Hmmm...something got me thinking, being that Ghost Rider and Spider-Man are from the same movie studio (Sony Pictures/Marvel) perhaps Ghost Rider could have a brief appearence in Spider-Man 3, it'll also increase Ghost Rider's presence and popularity astronomically--to ready the world for Ghost Rider 2. I don't know why, but I'm just dying to see a brief Marvel Movie cross-over.

They're at the same studio; Dr. Strange was referenced in Spider-Man 2; so why not? That'd be cool!:ghost:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"