ASM #600! 104 Pages! No reprints! No ads! Now... with CAKE!

Hey, Dan (slott), could I ask you something?

There was a part in ASM 600 where Spidey saves a window cleaner or something, and then the guy says "Spider-Man saved me" or osmething, then Spidey says "Everybody gets one."

Was that a reference to the 2 times in Family Guy where Spider-Man saved someone and said "You only get one."?

Last edited:
Thor. I LOVE Thor. LOVED Walt Simonson's Thor. LOVING JMS' Thor. LOVE the character. And I like writing him as part of a team-- or for a cameo or guest-star. But I just know that the character isn't in my wheelhouse-- and I wouldn't want to write him month in and month out in a solo-- no matter how much I enjoy READING him. (Same goes for the Atom. The sheer volume of science research I'd have to read to do a GOOD Atom monthly would kill me. Writing him as a guest-star or cameo? Sure! Month in and month out? Nope.)
So, you know, the Mighty Avengers could use another powerhouse/classic Avenger. And Thor and Hercules have some of the best chemistry this side of The Odd Couple.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

I'll do my best. :yay:

Thanks!

Spider-Man! (Oh... wait, I'm already doing that. :yay:). Outside of Spidey...
In order...
For Marvel: Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, Cap, Daredevil, Hulk, and Iron Man.
For DC: Batman (again!), Doom Patrol, Creeper, Deadman, Captain Marvel (Shazam!), and Superman.
Outside of Marvel & DC: Indiana Jones, Doctor Who, and Star Trek.

Of course, the crappy part of this is that since you can only do 2 comics and some change per month, the hopes of seeing you do a lot of these projects aren't too likely, I guess. I'd LOVE to see you do something great with Moon Knight! I had such high hopes when the last series came out; but, was pretty disappointed in the results. (Although, the last story wasn't that bad.) As Brubaker is one of my other favorite Marvel writers, I'll just keep you off Cap and Daredevil for the time being. (I met Ed at the last Emerald City Comic Con...great guy! He chatted it up with everyone in line. Of course, I guess he lives about 10 minutes from Seattle; so, not too surprising to see him there. I did notice that quite a few of the writers/artists live in Oregon. I never knew so many people, like Bendis, resided there.)

What really peaks my interest is the "Outside of Marvel & DC" list. All three of those would be picked up by me in an instant!

It's called The Reckoning War. I've wanted to see someone do this story since I was 8. And I've been seeding it in almost everything I've done for Marvel since coming back to the company in 2004. :)

Wow! Talk about peaking a reader's interest!!!

Marvel (and Joe Q.) have been saying publicly that we're pulling away from event heavy stories in the coming year.

So, I guess we won't be seeing "The Reckoning War" any time soon.

Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (from DC)
Big Max (from Mr. Comics)
Tomb Raider #50 (from Top Cow)

Tomb Raider #50...sold out!

The other two, I just ordered. Living Hell was pretty inexpensive, too. Only $1.80 per issue on mycomicshop.com.

Oh, and I picked up Mighty Mouse for good measure. I take it that is the Marvel Comics issue with a moose that looks like David Letterman.

Living Hell was cool. I love getting to look inside of Arkham, and Living Hell and Morrison's A Serious House on Serious Earth are some of the best of those stories.

Huh? Did anyone else just notice that huge tease? Is anyone else now going to go back through their Dan Slott collection looking for clues?

I don't suppose there's any way in hell that you're going to give us any more info on that little tidbit. Is there? Is there?

I have to admit that I've really enjoyed Marvel's events the last few years. I totally look forward to this if you ever get the chance. Unless you're just kidding. In which case, it's poodle-time.
In Dan's 2nd She-hulk run he planted the seeds.In fact It's even mentioned by name.If the story is ever published{Which I hope it is.} She-hulk would probably be a focus of the story as it kinda would be her fault.

Wow, name-calling now. Lovely.

Anyways, the question was rhetorical, because you clearly referenced the death of Gwen Stacey as comparable to OMD. Also clearly, it's not I that fears change (btw, compare that to retconning everything in ASM back to the point it was at 20 years ago), it's that I hate change that's offensive and badly/lazily written.

When I said pea-brain, I was referring to the size... because my post obviously went over your head.

If you wanna take it as an insult, take it as such. I had no intentions.

Again... everything was about "change"... some change is good, some is bad... it's subjective to the reader.

I personally hated the black costume and I wish I would never see it again on Spidey's body, but it's a part of his history now...

And the changes that have resulted from OMD may not be your cup'o tea, but obviously others like it, and it was something that Marvel needed to get done in order to get "their" Spider-Man back... OMD was a terrible story with some pretty pictures... but the new direction has been great.... in MY opinion.

I'm done... have a nice day.

:yay:

In Dan's 2nd She-hulk run he planted the seeds.In fact It's even mentioned by name.If the story is ever published{Which I hope it is.} She-hulk would probably be a focus of the story as it kinda would be her fault.

I think I remember that. Did it have something to do with the future, or a glimpse of the future or something. I'll have to go back and read those again.

Hey, Dan (slott), could I ask you something?

There was a part in ASM 600 where Spidey saves a window cleaner or something, and then the guy says "Spider-Man saved me" or osmething, then Spidey says "Everybody gets one."

Was that a reference to the 2 times in Family Guy where Spider-Man saved someone and said "You only get one."?

Dude, that was DEFINITELY a reference to Family Guy! :woot:

That had me laughing for a good two minutes. Spidey needs way more appearances in Family Guy. I believe he saved Peter and saved Cleveland when he fell mountain climbing.

"Everyone gets one! Tell 'em, Peter!"
"Uh, apparently everyone gets one"

HAHA!

Classic! Between that Family Guy reference and when Peter tries to hit JJJ up for fifty bucks was just pure classic stuff. Peter and JJJ are now kind of like stepbrothers in a way! :woot:

Dude, that was DEFINITELY a reference to Family Guy! :woot:

That had me laughing for a good two minutes. Spidey needs way more appearances in Family Guy. I believe he saved Peter and saved Cleveland when he fell mountain climbing.

"Everyone gets one! Tell 'em, Peter!"
"Uh, apparently everyone gets one"

HAHA!

Classic! Between that Family Guy reference and when Peter tries to hit JJJ up for fifty bucks was just pure classic stuff. Peter and JJJ are now kind of like stepbrothers in a way! :woot:
Very true, indeed. God, how I love Family guy. :woot::up:

Butt Scratcher!!!! Butt Scratcher!!!! Butt Scratcher!!!! Butt Scratcher!!!!

:yay:

My analogy, my rules. :yay:

No. In this analogy the "house" equals the title "The Amazing Spider-Man" and the tenants equal the creative team.

So, in this case, the EIC would be the Mayor or the City Planner. :)

And, in either case, it would be the Mayor or City Planner who helped steer the entire town out of bankruptcy and guided it towards being the #1 town in the country! Far out performing any other town-- even the neighboring town in (the) D(istrict of) C(olumbia). :oldrazz:

No. Sorry, but you're wrong. On many levels.

1.) The "we" in your scenario (unless you're using it like the royal "we") is not accurate. That "we" is not of the one mind that you paint it out to be. There are many in that "we" that are either glad that the apple tree is gone and/or moved to a new part of the lawn-- and a lot of that "we" who couldn't care less if there were a tree at all.

2.) The apple tree is owned by the people the Mayor works for. While some of the "we" in your analogy FEEL ownership or partial ownership, that's not the case. If they feel that in their hearts, that's a wonderful thing. And the "tree" can mean something to them personally-- and that's great too. They can have pictures and memories of the tree that are theirs and theirs alone. And that's great as well. I "live" in the house, and even I realize that it's not my "tree" or my "house"-- no matter how passionately I feel about that "tree" or that "house"-- or how much of my life I've dedicated to-- and hope to KEEP dedicating to-- tending them.

And here's where you miss the point. The man who cut down the tree did it for a reason-- to help and look after the HOUSE. Some of you guys are so focused on the tree-- you're not thinking about the HOUSE. The HOUSE is more important than the tree. The HOUSE was there before the tree, and while people's opinions about how much the tree added to the value of the house may vary-- we are ALL united in one thing: the HOUSE is more important than the tree.

And, guess what-- the TREE is back anyway-- just in a different part of the lawn. Seems pretty silly to still be complaining about it, doesn't it?

Man... I totally responded to this and, unless I'm missing it, it didn't post :(

Oh well... I declair Dan Slott the winner of the Tree analogy... I've got nothing more I care to debate on the topic of OMD/BND for the time being.

And it's cool of you to answer fan questions, Mr. Slott. Very very cool. Wish I had some to ask but I can't think of anything. I've been at work for 14 hours now and I need sleep.

Living Hell was a great book - must have been pretty cool when Robinson used Great White Shark for Face the Face.

Would love to see Dan play around in the other toybox again (go go Doom Patrol!).

I dunno, to tell you the truth, I would rather have Dan (along with Brubaker and Bendis) to stay at Marvel forever. Just like how I'd rather have Johns, Rucka, and Morrison stay at DC forever.

I will just say my god, Dan, please please please talk to IDW about doing some form of Doctor Who work for them. I'd be all over that like white on rice.

And you have to do the next event now, because you can't just tease us with Reckoning War like that and get away with it. :D

Wow, so JH gave up cuz he was tired of debating with someone who repeats the same thing and thinks that makes him win. So congrats, I give up too. Guess that makes you the winner, in the sense of your debating is so poor that people eventually can't stand interacting with you anymore.

I'll just continue on remembering your wise opinion that because I don't like OMD my opinion on any future issues is rendered invalid despite large numbers of people agreeing with me. Instead, only people who agree with OMD should be allowed to share their opinions on anything after it.

I'll also remember the fact that I'm somehow unable to appreciate anything BND because I'm so terribly biased, and am somehow unfit to judge the plot, dialogue, art, or anything else.

But, I'm sure that all of these thoughts from you have nothing to do with your just not liking the fact that I thought YOUR particular issue (600) was mediocre at best. Got it.

Now I'm off to spend my time on something more enjoyable than arguing with someone who does the equivalent of plugging his ears and chanting the same thing over and over again. I noticed you still haven't replied to the fact I pointed out a clear logical fallacy in your argument, but that's just fine.

Guys, let us not pretend this is any more than what it was. Doom demanded it to stop, and you were scared. There is no shame in fearing Doom, it is simply a natural fear of all humanity :up:

Pardon that last message, I'm in a crappy mood and let a bit of it loose here. Apologies again, to you in particular Dan.

And you, Teardrop, are hilarious.

Pardon that last message, I'm in a crappy mood and let a bit of it loose here. Apologies again, to you in particular Dan.

And you, Teardrop, are hilarious.

Hey, Random. I hope whatever your going through gets better. I figure it must be pretty major, especially since you've been away for a bit. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

So congrats, I give up too. Guess that makes you the winner, in the sense of your debating is so poor that people eventually can't stand interacting with you anymore.

Again, please understand, I never saw this as a debate. I just can't get how you can have this in your signature and think that there's something TO debate:

"Proudly haven't bought ASM since OMD

Tellin people to just get over OMD & buy new Spidey stuff is akin to a friend punchin me in the face for no reason & then actin like they don't understand why I won't hang out with them until they apologize."

I'll also remember the fact that I'm somehow unable to appreciate anything BND because I'm so terribly biased, and am somehow unfit to judge the plot, dialogue, art, or anything else.

Whoa. Look "terribly biased" is your spin. I'm just saying "biased". Considering that your own sig states how you feel about ASM Post OMD, "biased" is an accurate term here. There's no need to add some qualifier to that.

"Unfit" is also your spin as well. It has a negative connotation that I'm not bringing to the mix. It implies that I believe you are unqualified or incompetent. I have never said those things, nor do I believe them. You're own sig admits a bias to how you feel about Spider-Man Post-OMD. I believe that self admitted trait makes you illsuited (not a good choice) to review Post-OMD issues of ASM objectively. That's fair, right?

But, I'm sure that all of these thoughts from you have nothing to do with your just not liking the fact that I thought YOUR particular issue (600) was mediocre at best.

Not really, no. I've received good AND bad reviews on ASM #600 that I believe have merit.

Now I'm off to spend my time on something more enjoyable than arguing with someone who does the equivalent of plugging his ears and chanting the same thing over and over again.

I can understand your frustration. I feel it too. From my point of view I've been talking with someone who won't acknowledge the litteral "writing on the wall"--when it's something that they themselves have written.
[/quote]Pardon that last message, I'm in a crappy mood and let a bit of it loose here. Apologies again, to you in particular Dan.[/quote]

No sweat.

[/quote]And you, Teardrop, are hilarious.[/quote]

DAMN hilarious! On this we agree. :yay:

Hey, Random. I hope whatever your going through gets better. I figure it must be pretty major, especially since you've been away for a bit. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hey, if something bad's going on in "the real world", you have all my sympathy. Why don't we talk via e-mails or something when things settle down and get closer to normal. Peace.

Aha!!!... personal tragedy....

Where da heck was Dan in 2003 when she took Thesonofbat away....

:csad:

Not really, no. I've received good AND bad reviews on ASM #600 that I believe have merit.
From your standpoint, do you think the good outrways the bad? IMO, I think it sure does. The hardcore Spidey fans, such as myself, were very satisifed with issue, while some weren't. I've only seen some who didn't like it. ALot of big Spidey fans did though, which is great. :yay:

From your standpoint, do you think the good outrways the bad? IMO, I think it sure does. The hardcore Spidey fans, such as myself, were very satisifed with issue, while some weren't. I've only seen some who didn't like it. ALot of big Spidey fans did though, which is great. :yay:

I'd like to say that I don't read all the reviews from the various review web-sites... but that's just not true. I try to read 'em all. Especially for the "big" issues. And, so far, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

The main thing that practically all the reviewers are united on is the VALUE-- and at $4.99 for 104 pages of all-new material-- with no ads-- it's hard to argue with that. Other recurring phrases that kept popping up in multiple reviews were "good jumping on point" (and/or "good jumping BACK on point") and "Now this is a comic!".

Good reviews have pointed to the fantastic art through out the book. They liked how much story they got in the lead-- and that it took them a good, long time to read. How cool it was to see Stan Lee doing a story with Marcos. The new take on Doc Ock. Funny scenes that they liked. Lots of love for the Uncle Ben short story. Excitement over the return of MJ. The Family Guy reference. Seeing the Spider-Mobile again. The nice shout out to the original letter writers. And much, much more.

Have there been bad reviews? Yep. Some of them thought the lead story was too long-- or that the story dragged. Some didn't like the art on various stories. Some of them were upset that MJ was back. Some of them didn't like the new take on Doc Ock. Some felt that the issue wasn't a big enough landmark. And so on.

In the end taste, like all things, is subjective. In a tough week though, with a lot of strong competition from some awesome titles, I'm VERY proud that we made so many "Pick of the Week" lists. At the end of the day though-- the thing I'm most proud of is the work itself-- and how much quality, time, effort, and dedication everyone in the team put into the book. To me, that's the biggest reward.

In the end taste, like all things, is subjective.
What do you mean? This is the internet, all my tastes are absolute truth and anyone who says differently is mentally ******ed :hehe:

I'd like to say that I don't read all the reviews from the various review web-sites... but that's just not true. I try to read 'em all. Especially for the "big" issues. And, so far, the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

The main thing that practically all the reviewers are united on is the VALUE-- and at $4.99 for 104 pages of all-new material-- with no ads-- it's hard to argue with that. Other recurring phrases that kept popping up in multiple reviews were "good jumping on point" (and/or "good jumping BACK on point") and "Now this is a comic!".

Good reviews have pointed to the fantastic art through out the book. They liked how much story they got in the lead-- and that it took them a good, long time to read. How cool it was to see Stan Lee doing a story with Marcos. The new take on Doc Ock. Funny scenes that they liked. Lots of love for the Uncle Ben short story. Excitement over the return of MJ. The Family Guy reference. Seeing the Spider-Mobile again. The nice shout out to the original letter writers. And much, much more.

Have there been bad reviews? Yep. Some of them thought the lead story was too long-- or that the story dragged. Some didn't like the art on various stories. Some of them were upset that MJ was back. Some of them didn't like the new take on Doc Ock. Some felt that the issue wasn't a big enough landmark. And so on.

In the end taste, like all things, is subjective. In a tough week though, with a lot of strong competition from some awesome titles, I'm VERY proud that we made so many "Pick of the Week" lists. At the end of the day though-- the thing I'm most proud of is the work itself-- and how much quality, time, effort, and dedication everyone in the team put into the book. To me, that's the biggest reward.
Well, trust me, the dedication clearly is present in ASM 600, Dan. I think that some fans just have no respect for how much time and effort have been and still are being put in these books. The same can go for a movie, to. Also, I stayed up all night just to make sure I got 600 right away. This truly was a very fun issue, and the Spider-Mobile, Family Guy reference, etc, were all great additions. Just great job with it all, Dan. It was a long wait until July, but it was well worth it. :yay:

Also, Dan, what made you guys want to make Ock look the way he does now? I mean, hel ooks creepy/awesome as hell, but I'm just curious as to why you guys wanted to do that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"