Comics Amazing Spider-Man #600 discussion thread

The Joker

The Clown Prince of Crime
Reaction score
A little premature, but details are finally coming out about this landmark issue, including some plot details, and how big it's going to be: a whopping 104 pages long.

82209_206635_13.jpg

The May issue of PREVIEWS, the comic shop’s catalog, commemorates a milestone for one of the industry’s most popular icons being celebrated in the pages of Marvel Comics’ The Amazing Spider-Man #600, a 104-page special from the thrice-monthly series.

The 600th issue features all-new material from writers Dan Slott, Stan Lee and the rest of today’s regular Spider-Man writing team and art from John Romita Jr., Marcos Martin, Mario Alberti and more. Readers will follow Spidey in the lead feature as he attempts to deal with more than the average web’s worth of confusion – the return of Doctor Octopus, an appearance by Daredevil and an unexpected wedding. Plus, creative legends Lee and Martin team to provide a nostalgic story, as the Wall-Crawler reflects on previous adventures.

Link: http://www.diamondcomics.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=3&s=5&ai=82209

Yes. I was right that Wacker was talking about Stan a few weeks back on the letter page.

I still love Stan's writing. His one shot with Romita SR a few years back was really enjoyable.

Plus Slott, Romita JR, Doc Ock and Daredevil should be sweet.

I wonder about the price though?

Have you guys counted how many tentacle claws there are on that cover? There's SIX!!! Slott and Wacker mentioned in a previous interview that Ock was getting a new look in this issue.

That must be it. He's got six tentacles now!

As I said in the "Doc Ock's Lair" thread, I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't wait for this.

You do? I only see six tentacle claws. Four above Spidey, and two below him.

I'll have to read this.
104 pages!
I've been reading the first Spidey comics, and I noticed how many stuff they used to show within 25 pages. Today, with 25 pages they show us way less than they can. The panels take almost all of the space of the page. So I guess this 104 pages must be a great read.
And I like how the tentacles look like...I just hope it isn't 6 tentacles. Or that it'll be six only for this issue, since it's number six hundred...six tentacles...
But I want him to have his four tentacles again, afterwards. I mean, an octopus has 8 arms...:cwink:.

Exactly, six tentacles plus his two human arms, that makes 8 doesnt it? So it makes more sense to have 6 tentacles.

Exactly, six tentacles plus his two human arms, that makes 8 doesnt it? So it makes more sense to have 6 tentacles.
And his two legs.
We're ruling it out now? We never did before when it was 4 tentacles.

Maybe Ock pulls a Flash and loses his legs (or arms (or one of each)) and makes up for that by adding two more mechanical arms? :p

Amazing Spider-Man #600 stuff ahoy:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #600
Written by DAN SLOTT, STAN LEE
& THE REST OF SPIDEY'S WEB-HEADS
Pencils by JOHN ROMITA JR., MARCOS MARTIN,
MARIO ALBERTI & MORE!
50/50 Wraparound Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
50/50 Cover by ALEX ROSS
Variant Cover by JOHN ROMITA SR.
Wraparound Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
The greatest Marvel super hero of all celebrates his 600th issue with the biggest all-original issue of Amazing Spider-Man EVER! This one's got it all! The return of Doctor Octopus, Daredevil, a wedding you never predicted, and the return of one of the most important people in Peter Parker's life in a giant-sized lead story by Dan Slott and John Romita Jr. Doc's back in town, but it's only a prelude to darker days ahead as Spidey unknowingly prepares for a gauntlet he can't even see coming.
On top of all that, witness the return of one of Spider-man's creators, Smilin' Stan Lee (along with Masticatin' Marcos Martin) as he presents a story of unbridled passion, drama and angst as Spidey reflects over his many, many years of adventures.
But that ain't all…as the rest of the Spidey Web-Heads bring you several short features showcasing some rarely explored aspects of both Spidey and Pete's life, drawn by some of the greatest artists in comics. Plus, several other surprises and NO REPRINTS! 104 pages of goodness brought to you by some of the best creators that have ever worked on Spidey!
104 PGS./All-New/Rated A …$4.99

Link: http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.7656.FIRST_LOOK~colon~_July_2009_Spider-Man_Comics

And now more tantalising snippets from Mr Slott about Ock in ASM #600 in his latest interview:

The next time “Amazing Spider-Man” fans go on a journey with Dan Slott will be the series mega-sized 600th issue, which features a story where Slott and John Romita, Jr. pit the Wallcrawler against his old foe, Doctor Octopus. “I've seen some of the covers for ‘Spidey’ #600 and they're beautiful. I can't wait for people to see them,” the writer said. “In ‘Spidey’ #600, you're going to get an enormous story all in one shot. No waiting for week one, week two, and week three. Just bam! A complete epic! And a ton of other all-new goodies. Steve Wacker is working overtime to make this the biggest damn comic on the racks. With this new Doc Ock story, one of my goals for Doctor Octopus is to elevate him to a Doctor Doom level threat. I want to get him up there with villains like Doom, the Red Skull and the Mandarin. I want to make him a big power player.”

Link: http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20876

I'm actually very glad I'm on board for Spider-Man.

I've put aside my....hm....grievances for OMD and started to enjoy the stories again. The slight continuity errors ARE jarring...but I just remind myself that these are comic books. They aren't really anything drastically important in the long run. They're created for the reader to enjoy and to lose themselves in. I just enjoy the character and try not to be affected too much.

It's a comic book...not a limb.

Things are looking pretty good for Spidey at the moment. Great stuff.

I agree arachnid-guy, there's still some OMD issues that need to be worked out, but overall it seems like Spidey's regaining back his steam. 600 looks like a BLAST, plus Spidey's appearing in Hulk 600 also on sale in july!

One of the variant covers for #600, drawn by Joe Queseda:

asm600-quesada-700x519.jpg

Alex Ross' is definitely the best cover though.

I guess we can safely presume from the statement "and the return of one of the most important people in Peter Parker's life" pretty much means it's going to be Mary Jane. And based on this solicit for the Annual:

7656new_storyimage9906785_full.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #36
Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM
Penciled by PATRICK OLLIFFE
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
As Peter Parker prepares for the 2nd most important wedding day of his life, a new enemy brutally rises up from Spidey's past. Plus the introduction of some brand new family members promises to make this a wedding that he wishes never happened!

I guess it pretty much clinches it--Aunt May and J. Jonah Jameson Sr. are the ones getting married. After all, if his most important wedding day was when he was getting married to MJ, then certainly his Aunt May getting married would be second, right? Not to mention if J. Jonah Jameson becomes his new cousin and thus family, that would certainly make Peter cringe.

Uh....they're skipping a lot of stories here...of them DATING first...??

Uh....they're skipping a lot of stories here...of them DATING first...??

Dude, they're both like 500 years old! They don't have time for that stuff! :D

Plus, they dated for the 2 months that Spidey was in the Macroverse! That's all you need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"