AUG Fan Art Contest - ENTER HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finally finished my entry.

First I'll say, I love this theme. I was not aware of 'steampunk' before, but I gotta say it's been fun researching and seeing everyone's posts here in the thread so far.

Reading the theme, my mind went straight to robots and that made me thing of Bender from 'Futurama'. Choosing to include Leela clinched it for me as my idea for the theme, and it was a lot of fun. Anyway, here's my entry:

Steampunk_Futurama.jpg

Hope you all like it!
:wow:

First I'll say, I love this theme. I was not aware of 'steampunk' before, but I gotta say it's been fun researching and seeing everyone's posts here in the thread so far.

Reading the theme, my mind went straight to robots and that made me thing of Bender from 'Futurama'. Choosing to include Leela clinched it for me as my idea for the theme, and it was a lot of fun. Anyway, here's my entry:

Steampunk_Futurama.jpg

Hope you all like it!

This is really well done Matt. Almost a Futurama meats Firefly thing goin on...

This is really well done Matt. Almost a Futurama meats Firefly thing goin on...

HA! That was EXACTLY the way I was approaching Leela, because I was unfamiliar with 'steampunk' and when I did some investigation it made me think of 'Firefly', one of my favorite shows ever.

Great job as always Mattchew!
Between the shadows and blurry objects in the background, you do a tremendous job of establishing depth in your art.

Great job Mattchew. I wonder if we'll actually vote on this month's contest or if it will just kind of go away like last month's.

Steampunk_Futurama.jpg

Hope you all like it!
I love that, does it actually say Fry in Alien Language 1 on his chest?

Also should Leela have Nibbler?

Great job as always Mattchew!
Between the shadows and blurry objects in the background, you do a tremendous job of establishing depth in your art.

Thanks... Glad you liked it.

Great job Mattchew. I wonder if we'll actually vote on this month's contest or if it will just kind of go away like last month's.

Thanks! Funny you say that... I was confused as to who won, but i guess your post cleared that up for me.

I love that, does it actually say Fry in Alien Language 1 on his chest?

Also should Leela have Nibbler?

Yes... I tired to throw in a few *****ie futurama references, some really obvious... others, not so much:

1) In the background you can see the planet express ship.

2) The blimp in the background is broadcasting a live feed of 'Everybody Loves Hypnotoad'

3) Fry's chest does say 'Fry' in alien language 1.

4) In Fry's breast pocket is his lucky four-leaf clover.

5) Fry is drinking Slurm.

6) Bender is referenced as Bending Unit 22.

7) Too small to tell, but Serial number by the bar-code on bender is the serial number referenced by Bender in the Flexo episode.

8) Finally... The characters in bender's mouth make up a hexadecimal encoding of the phase 'bite my a$$', an abbreviation of 'bite my shiny metal a$$' a phrase that wouldn't fit, due to size limitations.

PS: I put Nibbler in Fry's hands becasue I thought he was less interesting design wise, but I made him reaching for Leela for obvious reasons.

PSS: My one regret is that I couldnt find a way to put a readable 'Made In Tijuana' stamp on Bender.

I'm wondering if Ex is ok....

Hope so

Mattchew, Mrh, Kad, I totally love your august pieces...

Wierdness...I updated the scan for mine in Photobucket but for some reason it was still coming up with that "fuzzy" bit in the middle which was the old pic. Except on my home computer it was coming up with the new one...:huh:

Anyway here's a new scan a bit cleaner than the old...

dd2copya.jpg

Time to post my piece. It´s an Avengers pic, based on some rules I made up. Every Avenger should have his origin in the XVIII and XIX fantastic literature. For Captain America, I blended the iconic force of the 1812 Uncle Sam with some of the Buffalo Bill attitude. My Iron Man is a creation by the same nameless inventor who created the Time Machine. Hulk, obviously, is a variation on the Jekyll/Hyde epic. The Wasp comes from the faeric tradition.

If you want to have a look on the first sketches, you can check this link.

Hope you like it

2783463897_e30d1bf33c_b.jpg

very cool.... I like the plaid laid on flat... reminds me of those old cartoons when someone's wearing a plaid coat, and as they move its like... the coat is just a transparency and the plaid design remains stationary... if that made any sense.

really digging captain.

the iron man design is so cool in the sketch it makes me wish you could see more of him in the final, but that's really not a critique... its just an acknowledgment of how sweet the sketch it.

Thanks, Mattchew. In fact, I was thinking about cartoon with the Hulk, especially Magilla Gorilla, I don´t know why.

I think the same about the Iron Man issue. In fact, I tried to paint directly on the sketches and combine them afterwards, but my wife told me: "Time to work, you lazy, it´s much better if you arrange a whole new composition". Now, I believe she was right, but IM paid the price...

very cool.... I like the plaid laid on flat... reminds me of those old cartoons when someone's wearing a plaid coat, and as they move its like... the coat is just a transparency and the plaid design remains stationary... if that made any sense.

really digging captain.

the iron man design is so cool in the sketch it makes me wish you could see more of him in the final, but that's really not a critique... its just an acknowledgment of how sweet the sketch it.

Thanks, Mattchew. In fact, I was thinking about cartoon with the Hulk, especially Magilla Gorilla, I don´t know why.

I think the same about the Iron Man issue. In fact, I tried to paint directly on the sketches and combine them afterwards, but my wife told me: "Time to work, you lazy, it´s much better if you arrange a whole new composition". Now, I believe she was right, but IM paid the price...

Well the end result is sweet.

Time to post my piece. It´s an Avengers pic, based on some rules I made up. Every Avenger should have his origin in the XVIII and XIX fantastic literature. For Captain America, I blended the iconic force of the 1812 Uncle Sam with some of the Buffalo Bill attitude. My Iron Man is a creation by the same nameless inventor who created the Time Machine. Hulk, obviously, is a variation on the Jekyll/Hyde epic. The Wasp comes from the faeric tradition.

If you want to have a look on the first sketches, you can check this link.

Hope you like it

2783463897_e30d1bf33c_b.jpg

This is your coolest piece yet.

Love it X 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members