Comics Aunt May and Jarvis

nobndfan

Civilian
Reaction score
Now THERE was a relationship I enjoyed reading! Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but it irks me when people dismiss older people (or characters) simply because of their age. I'm 52, graduated at 50 with my degree in interior design, and am now pursuing my ACE personal fitness trainer certification, and I fully intend to be training jocks and jockettes until I'm 90! (I guess I'm a female version of Mickey Goldmill to potential Rockys!). So judging someone by their age irks the heck out of me.

I was really happy to see how nicely JMS treated Aunt May, and when he gave her and Jarvis a relationship I laughed out loud with delight. He also gave us a few glimpses of May as a younger woman, which was a very nice touch.

Now THERE was a relationship I enjoyed reading! Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but it irks me when people dismiss older people (or characters) simply because of their age. I'm 52, graduated at 50 with my degree in interior design, and am now pursuing my ACE personal fitness trainer certification, and I fully intend to be training jocks and jockettes until I'm 90! (I guess I'm a female version of Mickey Goldmill to potential Rockys!). So judging someone by their age irks the heck out of me.

I was really happy to see how nicely JMS treated Aunt May, and when he gave she and Jarvis a relationship I laughed out loud with delight. He also gave us a few glimpses of May as a younger woman, which was a very nice touch.

Will someone please get this nice old lady a can of ensure and a chair before she breaks a hip?

I definately agree, I liked that jarvis and may, two pretty interesting characters that are criminally underappreciated for what their characters can bring to the table, we're getting a little play. That first scene with may offering to cook for jarvis then telling off logan? I still smile thinking of it. Old people can do more than just die and kill people when behind the wheel, there's history and experience there that could be played off of other than the kindly butler or the nice old cookie lady. Shame we'll never see any more of this.

Will someone please get this nice old lady a can of ensure and a chair before she breaks a hip?

I definately agree, I liked that jarvis and may, two pretty interesting characters that are criminally underappreciated for what their characters can bring to the table, we're getting a little play. That first scene with may offering to cook for jarvis then telling off logan? I still smile thinking of it. Old people can do more than just die and kill people when behind the wheel, there's history and experience there that could be played off of other than the kindly butler or the nice old cookie lady. Shame we'll never see any more of this.

LOL. And don't forget the cane. It comes in very handy for lunges. :cwink:

People age because they choose to. I get the impression that May's spirit never aged and I hate seeing her disrespected by fans. Even in the seventies (or was it the eighties) she was a grey panther! You gotta love it! I love the scene with Chameleon where she spells "gotcha" in her needlework.

Logan's response to May when she told him off was priceless, by the way. A "now what do I do?" sort of reaction. But then, again, the whole family got to beat up or insult Logan at one time or another. Peter threw him out a window, May stuck his cigar in his beer, and MJ slapped him. It was a warm, family-like Parker kinda thing.

People age because they choose to. I get the impression that May's spirit never aged. I love the scene with Chamelion where she spells "gotcha" in her needlework.

That was pretty cool, I really liked that arc though people seem to think it belittled chameleon. Personally I liked may not being a victim and the whole scene was a throw back to arsenic and old lace but nobody seemed to get that.

I always though cap and jarvis should've been better friends since they both had the WW2 thing going on. Cap and Jarvis getting drunk and telling war stories? Gold.

That was pretty cool, I really liked that arc though people seem to think it belittled chameleon. Personally I liked may not being a victim and the whole scene was a throw back to arsenic and old lace but nobody seemed to get that.

I always though cap and jarvis should've been better friends since they both had the WW2 thing going on. Cap and Jarvis getting drunk and telling war stories? Gold.

May couldn't be a victim if she tried. I love the scene in the corridor of the hospital after young Peter broke his arm, and she's telling Ben where to get off for suggesting she leave for the night.

People age because they choose to. I get the impression that May's spirit never aged and I hate seeing her disrespected by fans. Even in the seventies (or was it the eighties) she was a grey panther! You gotta love it! I love the scene with Chameleon where she spells "gotcha" in her needlework.

Logan's response to May when she told him off was priceless, by the way. A "now what do I do?" sort of reaction. But then, again, the whole family got to beat up or insult Logan at one time or another. Peter threw him out a window, May stuck his cigar in his beer, and MJ slapped him. It was a warm, family-like Parker kinda thing.
Girl, I really LIKE your POV! :yay: :up:

So much more intelligent than the knuckle-heads whining, "kill May already, she's boring and older than dirt..." :rolleyes:

Although if I had to choose between the marriage and May... I'd be making NO DEALS with the devil. And frankly, neither would Peter. :mad:

I too am an "older" female Spidey fan. I refused to support what Quesada and Marvel did with OMD. It was untenable. And BND coming out of that train wreck is a farce.

Marvel won't see another dime of mine till Quesada has been fired and continuity (including the marriage) has been restored. :mad:

A hearty and whole-hearted AAAAAAMEN!!!!

And as a (only a few months away) fitness trainer I really mean it when I say you don't have to get old. You have to get older...but barring illness, you don't have to get old. Look at Sly Stallone and Jack LaLanne). Oops. I'm getting started on my topic and geting OFF topic.

In any case...viva le May! She's one of the "never got old" ladies.

LOL @ you two

I liked the direction they took May after she found out Peter's identity, as well, and that scene where she tells off Logan is truly a classic. It's sad that her "glory days" are over with the coming of BND; there's no way she'll be able to match the last few years until the retcon is reversed somehow. I think it's a sign of how much they care for the character that they casually dumped her in a coma for a year just so Peter could run around in the black costume and eventually trade away his marriage.

I don't think Aunt May will be a minor cast member in BND... but that's just my opinion.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

:csad:

I too am an "older" female Spidey fan.

You're 35, right? :cwink:

I refused to support what Quesada and Marvel did with OMD. It was untenable. And BND coming out of that train wreck is a farce.

Marvel won't see another dime of mine till Quesada has been fired and continuity (including the marriage) has been restored. :mad:

This is a train wreck for sure, but they'll get the tracks cleared eventually. Hopefully you are patient! :)

I really like MJ and May's friendship, too. MJ really respects her, and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"