Avengers A.I.

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
LINK

Oh, look, they're actually using a Runaways character. :o

Aren't some of them getting killed in Avengers Arena?

yeah, looks somewhat interesting but not really interesting enough to follow.

meanwhile no, New Warriors, H4H, silver surfer, or Ghost Rider

Ugh, I love Hank Pym and Vision but enough is enough already with the Avengers books! I'm already buying all of them except Secret, I can't take on another. Not only does it spin out off Age of Ultron, which I could care less about, but the name Sam Humphries doesn't exactly light a fire under my ass to get me to run out and buy it.

PASS. :down

Yeah , Humphries was really disappointing for me on Ultimates

I bet this will only be an Avengers book in name. I doubt they will actually call themselves Avengers. Seems more like an Avengers Arena or New Avengers situation to me, where they just use the branding to support sales.

I'm interested enough to give the first couple issues a chance and see if it catches me. This will obviously lead to some major events down the road if Marvel is planning on using A.I.s as major threats in the Marvel U from now on. I'm always for Marvel expanding further into hard sci-fi territory as well.

All of Marvel will be Avengers-related at some point.

The X-Men will be no more. Say hello to Avengers: Mutants.

All of Marvel will be Avengers-related at some point.

The X-Men will be no more. Say hello to Avengers: Mutants.
heck it seems they are heading in that direction with Uncanny Avengers...lol. I wont be surprised if a future title is X-Avengers

Might as well just call it avengers universe... 616

Last edited:
I honestly feel like the Avengers branding has become about as shameless as X-Men. I don't know why New Avengers bothers me so much. I guess it is because they are just using the title from a previous popular book to sell a title with a completely different concept. I think I would give Avengers: Illuminati a pass, though.

Avengers is way too over exposed currently.

I think if the Marvel execs had their way Marvel would just be Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and Wolverine related books.

Hey... They also had a whole onslaught of Punisher books.

yeah, looks somewhat interesting but not really interesting enough to follow.

meanwhile no, New Warriors, H4H, silver surfer, or Ghost Rider

Books that do nothing but fail and fail again. I'm up for trying something a little different for once.

Books that do nothing but fail and fail again. I'm up for trying something a little different for once.

Because the attempts to relaunch them sucked. NW has a near 100 issue run it was successful for years, same with the others..they can work if done right..they have not been done right. They have core cult followings..which are a great base for launches.

..but Marvel has a great system worked out, stick some profound title on a book, with the Avengers or X preface, let it debut for 80k sales and let it dwindle to 17k in 4 months then cancel...it's probably a more sound approach than throwing out a NW or RR Nova book that if done right will debut at 50-60k and have stable sales in the 30k range for several years.

Last edited:
You know what this team needs? A Sentinel to go along with the Doombot.

Because the attempts to relaunch them sucked. NW has a near 100 issue run it was successful for years, same with the others..they can work if done right..they have not been done right. They have core cult followings..which are a great base for launches.

..but Marvel has a great system worked out, stick some profound title on a book, with the Avengers or X preface, let it debut for 80k sales and let it dwindle to 17k in 4 months then cancel...it's probably a more sound approach than throwing out a NW or RR Nova book that if done right will debut at 50-60k and have stable sales in the 30k range for several years.

The fact that NW and Nova have failed 4 times each (or so...i've lost count) tells me there IS no way they can be "done right" these days. They're B list characters at best, who have run their course. I like them, don't get me wrong. I also like Red Wolf, and Sons of The Tiger, and a bunch of other B list characters, but none of them would last very long in today's market. Same as the other characters you originally mentioned, unfortunately.

Last edited:
This really feels like stretching the Avengers brand out a bit much. Marvel should be treating the Avengers brand more like the way DC treats the Justice League brand. At least the Justice League books feel like actual Justice League teams.

This really feels like stretching the Avengers brand out a bit much. Marvel should be treating the Avengers brand more like the way DC treats the Justice League brand. At least the Justice League books feel like actual Justice League teams.

The dilemma is this would betray Marvel's editorial policy in regards to utilizing a "hot" brand. I believe the technical corporate term for it is, "Milk It Like A Crack Addict 'Till You Can't." Marvel has always done this with any of their brands that got hot, for decades, and it isn't changing now.

After all, once upon a time anything with Spider-Man's name on it sold like hotcakes, so at one point he had about 4 ongoing's plus spare one-shots and spin-off's (Punisher, Venom, Silver Sable, Morbius, even Nightwatch) and even in the late 90's NEW WARRIORS of all comics was considered a Spider-Man spin off because Scarlet Spider joined the team for a few issues. They milked it until it was dry and then had to climb back up.

The X-Men are a more drastic example. Even as recently as a few years ago Marvel looked for any excuse to slap X-MEN on the title of something. And the result? Milked it dry and then it needed more reboots and ultimately to be merged with something else. Even the X-Men spin off Wolverine got milked one ongoing too far at one point and he's never sold the same since. Deadpool got hot and instead of just maintain him, Marvel went all in like a gambler on acid 'shrooms and spammed out FIVE ongoing titles atop of guest shots and one-shots and mini's until everyone was tired of him. And thus, Marvel will repeat themselves with the Avengers. They will stretch that brand until it snaps and then wonder why.

In fairness, DC is little better with Batman. And they've quickly reached 3 JL titles.

The fact that NW and Nova have failed 4 times each (or so...i've lost count) tells me there IS no way they can be "done right" these days. They're B list characters at best, who have run their course. I like them, don't get me wrong. I also like Red Wolf, and Sons of The Tiger, and a bunch of other B list characters, but none of them would last very long in today's market. Same as the other characters you originally mentioned, unfortunately.

Clearly, the White Tiger and Red Wolf are antagonistic trolling comments to an other wise civil thread..i'd humor you with an informed response, but I dont think there is much value in that.

The dilemma is this would betray Marvel's editorial policy in regards to utilizing a "hot" brand. I believe the technical corporate term for it is, "Milk It Like A Crack Addict 'Till You Can't." Marvel has always done this with any of their brands that got hot, for decades, and it isn't changing now.

After all, once upon a time anything with Spider-Man's name on it sold like hotcakes, so at one point he had about 4 ongoing's plus spare one-shots and spin-off's (Punisher, Venom, Silver Sable, Morbius, even Nightwatch) and even in the late 90's NEW WARRIORS of all comics was considered a Spider-Man spin off because Scarlet Spider joined the team for a few issues. They milked it until it was dry and then had to climb back up.

The X-Men are a more drastic example. Even as recently as a few years ago Marvel looked for any excuse to slap X-MEN on the title of something. And the result? Milked it dry and then it needed more reboots and ultimately to be merged with something else. Even the X-Men spin off Wolverine got milked one ongoing too far at one point and he's never sold the same since. Deadpool got hot and instead of just maintain him, Marvel went all in like a gambler on acid 'shrooms and spammed out FIVE ongoing titles atop of guest shots and one-shots and mini's until everyone was tired of him. And thus, Marvel will repeat themselves with the Avengers. They will stretch that brand until it snaps and then wonder why.

In fairness, DC is little better with Batman. And they've quickly reached 3 JL titles.

DC has shown some editorial guts though...I mean Vodoo and Mr.Terrific Ongoings? Firm commitments to low sellers like Stormwatch, where they have a book that should and has worked(in the past), so instead of cancel they bring in some new talent to spice things up.

Yeah, DC will cancel a book here and there, but the threshold is a little more reasonable.

Let's remember that NOVA Vol . 4 was canceled selling in the Mid 20K range...bringing a guy like LOEB or WAID on to that book and picking up could have easily boosted it to a solid range.

Last edited:
Clearly, the White Tiger and Red Wolf are antagonistic trolling comments to an other wise civil thread..i'd humor you with an informed response, but I dont think there is much value in that.

No, they were actually legitimate comments. Red Wolf, and SONS of the Tiger. (White Tiger didnt come along until much later). And again; i was a big fan of both. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"