The Dark Knight Rises Bane... The new Darth Vader?

I personally love Hardy's Bane and Neeson's Ras just as much as Ledgers Joker... but the Joker is of course the more popular and iconic villain of the bunch. They were all perfectly portrayed by their respective actors, though.

Same here. Although I still think Joker was the best villain of the trilogy. Bane and Ra's are practically tied in second place though, for different reasons of course.

Theres actually a lot the two have in common. Both have an unsettling but awesome presence on the screen. Both openly kill their underlings and are feared by all those around them. Both speak with a british accent and a calm monotone voice, both also speak rather proper. In addition both are evil students of the heroes mentor, and both are at the end revealed to be not fully evil. They are very different characters, but a comparison can be made.

Good points. :up:

I'd add the fact that both villains have these instantly recognisable themes that almost always accompany their appereances in their respective movies and bring with them a sense of dread.

Outside of "breathing" and "mask" the similarities kind of fall apart. Bane doesn't even have Vader's importance in the movie.

Also, we know little about Vader, even if he is human until the second movie, because the mask and the suit hide every meaningful way of knowing him, so all we have is that voice.

Bane.

Bane we know is just a man. A powerful one, but just a man. He's more like a James Bond villain, and I like the Shredder comparison as well.

But Vader.

Vader has superpowers also, like big time, "even this Deathstar pales in comparison to the force" powers. I just don't see this as much of a valid comparison.

Well considering Nolan himself said The Joker was sort of like their "Hannibal Lecter" and they wanted "more of a Darth Vader" for the villain in TDKR, it's pretty understandable why people make the comparisons.

And I always thought of Shredder himself as having shades of Darth Vader.

I also see the parallel in that both characters have a "religious" background of sorts which they became separated from (Jedi/League of Shadows) but are also essentially military commanders.

i dont see hannibal lector in nolans joker, i see scorpio from dirty harry.

I can see the comparisons , in particular Luke's first fight with Vader/Bruce's first fight with Bane. In both cases the hero's weren't mentally or endurance wise, ready to face their overwhelmingly superior opponents and both were cocky in their own abilities.

However , Vader is much cooler character. Sorry, that's just how I feel , and you'd be hard to find anyone ,aside from a really diehard Nolan fan, who would disagree .

I can see the comparisons , in particular Luke's first fight with Vader/Bruce's first fight with Bane. In both cases the hero's weren't mentally or endurance wise, ready to face their overwhelmingly superior opponents and both were cocky in their own abilities.

However , Vader is much cooler character. Sorry, that's just how I feel , and you'd be hard to find anyone ,aside from a really diehard Nolan fan, who would disagree .

But Vader was also based on the two most badass villains of all time(Darkseid,Doctor Doom) so ofcourse he's cooler.

No because Vader was a good villain. Bane was a LOS lackey doing it for Talia.

Vader was Emperors lackey,and that does not make you a good or bad villain otherwise Sinestro,Storm Shadow,Deathstroke and Mr Sinister would be the worst villains ever.

As for Joker and Lecter,honestly I dont see what's so special about Lecter.Joker was one of the greatest villains even before Ledger,WTH was Lecter before Hopkins?

Last edited:
Vader was Emperors lackey,and that does not make you a good or bad villain otherwise Sinestro,Storm Shadow,Deathstroke and Mr Sinister would be the worst villains ever.

As for Joker and Lecter,honestly I dont see what's so special about Lecter.Joker was one of the greatest villains even before Ledger,WTH was Lecter before Hopkins?

There are many villains that stand out more than the Joker. His popularity has just risen in pop culture over the years.

As per Lecter, a little research and film know how goes a long way here. Lecter was a highly regarded villain long before Hopkins. Lecter's incarnation in the book(those things with pages and words) was something that really stood out and terrified readers. His popularity started to rise a little more with his first film appearance which was actually Manhunter, and he was portrayed by Brian Cox. Hopkins made the role famous, not just because He's a great actor, but because general audiences tend not to remember Manhunter.

Last edited:
There are many villains that stand out more than the Joker. His popularity has just risen in pop culture over the years.

As per Lecter, a little research and film know how goes a long way here. Lecter was a highly regarded villain long before Hopkins. Lecter's incarnation in the book(those things with pages and words) was something that really stood out and terrified readers. His popularity started to rise a little more with his first film appearance which was actually Manhunter, and he was portrayed by Brian Cox. Hopkins made the role famous, not just because He's a great actor, but because general audiences tend not to remember Manhunter.

Drop the condescending attitude,I'm fully aware of the novels and Manhunter,you yourself mentioned that people tend not to remember Manhunter,hmmm I wonder why...

Bane voice sounded a little like darth vader's in the trailer, but in the actual movie, sound quality was much better and he had a clearer tone.

But, still, good point.

Bane's not nearly as iconic and memorable as Darth Vader, either in the comics or in TDKR.

Just my $.02.

agreed^ this thread almost reeks of bane fanboyism. There is no such thing as a new vadar. He is an iconic villain

Drop the condescending attitude,I'm fully aware of the novels and Manhunter,you yourself mentioned that people tend not to remember Manhunter,hmmm I wonder why...
Manhunter was a pretty decent movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"