The Dark Knight Rises Bane... The new Darth Vader?

Well, for us Heath's JOKER was certainly something that did a lot. TDK's influence over movies shouldn't be taken out of consideration. We didn't have a Darth Vader, we had a Joker.

As for Bane. No he isn't the new Darth. He's more like Doc Manhattan in Nolan's Batman trilogy. Or more specifically, that "alien threat" that Watchmen scared the world into silence with. In the STAR WARS analogy, he'd be an anti-Luke.

Wait... was Anakin (and therefore Darth) an anti-Luke?!

As for Bane. No he isn't the new Darth. He's more like Doc Manhattan in Nolan's Batman trilogy. Or more specifically, that "alien threat" that Watchmen scared the world into silence with. In the STAR WARS analogy, he'd be an anti-Luke.
That would be the giant squid, not Manhattan. Dr. Manhattan was nearly god-like and terrifying, but he was still American.

^ Right Doc Manhattan in the movie, giant squid / alien invasion in the book.

I feel that Tom Hardy's Bane will amount to something of a footnote in the grand scheme, right above Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul. The characters that go down as classic will be Heath Ledger's Joker, and Bale's Batman.

Bale's Batman? I dunno. I think he will be lost in the shuffle of more iconic Batmen preceding and potentially proceeding him. I feel that when people think of Batman they think of Adam West, Keaton, and BTAS more than Bale. Hell, even Arkham City Batman seems more memorable to me. That is not an indictment of Bale but the very ....quiet take they chose to go with.

I feel that Tom Hardy's Bane will amount to something of a footnote in the grand scheme, right above Neeson's Ra's Al Ghul. The characters that go down as classic will be Heath Ledger's Joker, and Bale's Batman.

I think that has to do with the pre-existing iconography of the characters as well. Both Batman and the Joker have been extremely powerful icons pop-culture and that's why The Dark Knight will always be such a big-time hit. I love how that fact isn't contradicted in TDKR, that they despite raising the stakes they didn't feel like they had to "one-up" TDK. That's still the definitive Batman movie for me because it's Batman, Gordon, Dent, the Joker in their prime. That's their golden years. And it's fitting that it stands in the middle of the trilogy.

Bane to me is so much more of a post-superhero / supervillain character, and has been so even in his original creation; they created a villain who could manipulate the Batman Rogues Gallery, and effectively be someone who is beyond that. And with TDKR that connection is made with the Mutant Leader--someone who can spur people into action, who's regarded by the masses as their new saviour and he's highly destructive.

Ra's, by and large, is the exact opposite of that. Neeson's Ra's will always be memorable to me because he was Bruce's mentor and most of Nolan's mythology begins from that relationship between Bruce and Ra's. I loved that! Scarecrow was the only weakest link and even he had some role to play in the grand scheme of things by making an appearance in every episode.

Bale's Batman? I dunno. I think he will be lost in the shuffle of more iconic Batmen preceding and potentially proceeding him. I feel that when people think of Batman they think of Adam West, Keaton, and BTAS more than Bale. Hell, even Arkham City Batman seems more memorable to me. That is not an indictment of Bale but the very ....quiet take they chose to go with.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. Whenever people think Bruce Wayne they'll think about Bale's mug. He is the definitive Batman of this generation. Arkham Asylum's Batman is from yesteryear -- the only reason it's even memorable to us is because it's Conroy doing the voice. But the sort of human-struggle and growl Bat-voice that Bale's popularized? Nah, I'll have to give him credit for that. It's gotten people's attention; after all, he's the first live-action Batman who's as terrifying to the villains and the public as much as anyone else. I was always rooting for Keaton. Not the same case for Bale-Bats.

The same goes to Gary Oldman's Gordon. Who could top that?!

The Batman From Arkham City is far from memorable. He is a one note character. Adam West will always be unforgettable. I like Keaton as an actor, and I'll always remember his Batman, because I was so impressed by these movies, and I saw Returns in theater. I didn't grow up with Conroy, as I saw TAS in french version when I was a kid. As of now, I think he's good, but I don't think he's THAT great. Bale is as great as Batman and as Bruce. I think he's probably the more interesting of them all, mostly because his Bruce is as complex as he is the comics.

But in the end, I think the only Batman that people won't really remember is Kilmer. Even Clooney will be long remembered (mostly because people despise his performance).

PS: I love most of the bat actors, including Lewis Wilson, who was awesome. I think Clooney was a great modern Adam West. and Kilmer had some great moments (it's a pity some of his best scenes were deleted though). I don't care for Conroy, but the only one I really don't like is Robert Lowery, and it's mostly because he is bland.

Last edited:

I personally love Hardy's Bane and Neeson's Ras just as much as Ledgers Joker... but the Joker is of course the more popular and iconic villain of the bunch. They were all perfectly portrayed by their respective actors, though.

I disagree Bale's Batman is hugely popular even more so since the Dark Knight Rises. Other than Adam West he's definitely the most well known Batman to the general audience. Plus with Nolans films been insanely popular Bale will definitely be remembered and highly regarded.

Bane is not the new darth vader. The only character who will be remembered on the long scope I would say is is the Joker. But he shouldn't be compared to Darth Vader lol.

TDKR was great, but I don't think it will have the power TDK did. it was good, but not that good. In my own humble opinion, it wasn't even the best movie of the year, and that is excluding the avengers. Prometheus was awesome, and the whole concept blew my mind.

"And you betrayed us" was so Vader-ish and awesome!

i enjoyed hardy's performance as bane a lot. but he is in no way shape or form the new darth vader. the two characters are not even comparable, outside of them having rasping robotic voices from breath apparatus. vader is still one of, if not the most iconic cinematic villain ever.

i enjoyed hardy's performance as bane a lot. but he is in no way shape or form the new darth vader. the two characters are not even comparable, outside of them having rasping robotic voices from breath apparatus. vader is still one of, if not the most iconic cinematic villain ever.

Theres actually a lot the two have in common. Both have an unsettling but awesome presence on the screen. Both openly kill their underlings and are feared by all those around them. Both speak with a british accent and a calm monotone voice, both also speak rather proper. In addition both are evil students of the heroes mentor, and both are at the end revealed to be not fully evil. They are very different characters, but a comparison can be made.

Theres actually a lot the two have in common. Both have an unsettling but awesome presence on the screen. Both openly kill their underlings and are feared by all those around them. Both speak with a british accent and a calm monotone voice, both also speak rather proper. In addition both are evil students of the heroes mentor, and both are at the end revealed to be not fully evil. They are very different characters, but a comparison can be made.

Astute observations...I'd expect nothing less from a Jedi Master :cwink:

If and when 'the new Darth Vader' arrives he or she will be a character so ground breaking that we won't think to compare them to Darth Vader or any other character.

nice points. but i'm talking in terms of iconography and their impact as characters. there is no comparison. darth vader is a cinematic icon. bane, whilst a decent character played well by a great actor, is no where near that level.

Yeah, I think Bane is a great character that pays homage to Vader in a lot of ways, but obviously Vader is in an entire league in his own when it comes to being a cinematic icon.

Although I do think Bane, even in the comics is very iconic in the pantheon of Batman villains, even if it's mainly for one iconic moment. Seeing that moment immortalized on film was nice. Bane will always be known as the man who broke the Bat, and that's nothing to sneeze at. The film didn't create that, but it sure as hell honored it and brought it to the wider mainstream.

The thing is, if you mention 'Star Wars' one of the first things that will come to peoples minds is the image of Darth Vader. If you mention 'Batman' very few people will immediately think of Bane, they'll more likely think of the Joker.

No because Vader was a good villain. Bane was a LOS lackey doing it for Talia.

There are similarities. Nolan is a Star Wars fan and you can notice during the Plane Heist how he growls also during the final confrontation with Batman he does a very weird and creepy " AAAAHHH " similar to that of Vader's when he gets hurt by Luke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ZTqatD2Kw 1:01

sorry for double posting but when his henchmen bring Gordon to him in the sewers he breaths in a very heavy and weird way. i think thats a Vader nod.

There are actually several character interactions that are reminescent of Star Wars. for instance, Selina is basically Han Solo. Just like him, she fleeing from the big fight, in order to save herself. and just like him, she comes back at the very last moment to save the hero.

Bane's position is, like I said, similar to Vader's. Both are the big boss right hand, and both are real threat in their own name.

Léo Ho Tep;24872769 said:
There are actually several character interactions that are reminescent of Star Wars. for instance, Selina is basically Han Solo. Just like him, she fleeing from the big fight, in order to save herself. and just like him, she comes back at the very last moment to save the hero.

Bane's position is, like I said, similar to Vader's. Both are the big boss right hand, and both are real threat in their own name.

All I could think about the first time I saw the film when Batman asked Selina to come back and help him fight was that she was totally going to have a Han Solo moment. And she did :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"